Affiliation: University of Milan
- Autologous mesenchymal stem cell therapy for progressive supranuclear palsy: translation into a phase I controlled, randomized clinical studyRosaria Giordano
Cell Factory, Unit of Cell Therapy and Cryobiology, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milano, Italy
J Transl Med 12:14. 2014..Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP) is a sporadic and progressive neurodegenerative disease which belongs to the family of tauopathies and involves both cortical and subcortical structures. No effective therapy is to date available...
- Lenalidomide in the treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemiaAgostino Cortelezzi
Hematology and Transplantation Unit, Foundation IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico and Università degli Studi Di Milano, 20122 Milan, Italy
Adv Hematol 2012:393864. 2012..Further understanding of the exact mechanism of action in CLL will allow more efficacious use of lenalidomide alone or in combination regimens...
- An Italian retrospective study on the routine clinical use of low-dose alemtuzumab in relapsed/refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia patientsAgostino Cortelezzi
Haematology BMT Unit, IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Foundation, Milan, Italy
Br J Haematol 156:481-9. 2012..This retrospective analysis confirms that low-dose alemtuzumab is a valid and currently used therapeutic option for the treatment of relapsed/refractory CLL...
- Low-dose subcutaneous alemtuzumab in refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL): results of a prospective, single-arm multicentre studyA Cortelezzi
Department of Medical Sciences, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Leukemia 23:2027-33. 2009..This study confirms that low-dose subcutaneous alemtuzumab is effective in poor prognosis CLL, and has a particularly favourable toxicity profile...
- Bone marrow glycophorin-positive erythroid cells of myelodysplastic patients responding to high-dose rHuEPO therapy have a different gene expression pattern from those of nonrespondersAgostino Cortelezzi
Hematology Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli, Regina Elena IRCCS, Milan
Am J Hematol 83:531-9. 2008..The different gene expression profiles of ERs and ENRs may provide a basis for early gene testing as a means of predicting the response to rhEPO of MDS patients with low endogenous EPO levels...
- Adefovir added to lamivudine for hepatitis B recurrent infection in refractory B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia on prolonged therapy with Campath-1HAgostino Cortelezzi
Hematology 1 Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit and the IRCCS Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore, University of Milan, Via Francesco Sforza 35, 20122 Milan, Italy
J Clin Virol 35:467-9. 2006..During 20 months of anti-HBV therapy, ALT and HBV-DNA levels progressively declined and B-CLL was successfully kept under control by long-term alemtuzumab administration...
- Endothelial precursors and mature endothelial cells are increased in the peripheral blood of myelodysplastic syndromesA Cortelezzi
Hematology 1 Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, IRCCS Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore and University of Milan, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 46:1345-51. 2005..Taken together these data strengthen the hypothesis of a possible role of angiogenesis in MDS pathogenesis...
- High levels of vascular endothelial growth factor protein expression are associated with an increased risk of transfusion dependence in myelodysplastic syndromesUmberto Gianelli
Pathology Unit, Department of Pathophysiology and Transplantation, University of Milan School of Medicine, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Via Francesco Sforza 35, 20122 Milan, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 139:380-7. 2013..Our findings support the clinical relevance of VEGFi expression in the bone marrow biopsy specimens of patients with MDS...
- Increased levels of circulating endothelial cells in chronic periaortitis as a marker of active diseaseGabriella Moroni
Division of Nephrology, Ospedale Maggiore IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Kidney Int 68:562-8. 2005..To clarify the role of vascular damage we looked for the presence and the surface phenotype of circulating endothelial cells (CECs) in the peripheral blood of patients with chronic periaortitis...
- Bone marrow endothelial progenitors are defective in systemic sclerosisNicoletta Del Papa
Ospedale G Pini, University of Milan, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 54:2605-15. 2006....
- Circulating and progenitor endothelial cells are abnormal in patients with different types of von Willebrand disease and correlate with markers of angiogenesisGiuseppe Gritti
Department of Hematology 1, Fondazione IRCCS Cà Granda Maggiore Policlinico Hospital and Università degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Am J Hematol 86:650-6. 2011..19). Based on these data, CEC are increased in VWD and are associated with the high levels of cytokines involved in angiogenesis (up-regulation). EPC are decreased, suggesting down-regulation of bone marrow-derived angiogenesis in VWD...
- Low-dose alemtuzumab-associated immune thrombocytopenia in chronic lymphocytic leukemiaGianluigi Reda
Hematology and Transplantation Unit, Foundation IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Am J Hematol 87:936-7. 2012..Our data, associated with the report of Cuker et al., seem to suggest an important role of alemtuzumab in the pathogenesis of ITP which could be related to its induced dysregulation of T-lymphocyte activity...
- High-throughput sequencing for the identification of NOTCH1 mutations in early stage chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: biological and clinical implicationsMarta Lionetti
Department of Clinical Sciences and Community Health, University of Milano, Milan, Italy Haematology 1 CTMO, Foundation IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Br J Haematol 165:629-39. 2014..Our data highlight the importance of using highly sensitive methods to measure NOTCH1 mutations, in order to improve prognostic stratification and obtain useful information for potential therapeutic approaches. ..
- Metabolic syndrome in patients with hematological diseasesClaudio Annaloro
Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico U O Ematologia 1 CTMO, University of Milan, Via Francesco Sforza 35, 20122 Milan, Italy
Expert Rev Hematol 5:439-58. 2012....
- Successful management with intravenous immunoglobulins in alemtuzumab-induced acute inflammatory demyelinating neuropathy: clinical report of three patientsRoberto Castelli
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Università degli Studi di Milano and Dipartimento di Medicina, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 34:717-20. 2012..As alemtuzumab represents, nowadays, a key therapeutic option for CLL, clinicians should be aware of this rare and disabling toxicity...
- ZAP-70 immunoreactivity is a prognostic marker of disease progression in chronic lymphocytic leukemiaClaudia Vener
Ematologia I Centro Trapianti di Midollo, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore e Università degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 47:245-51. 2006..The observations support the inclusion of the immunohistochemical expression of ZAP-70 in clinical trials involving CLL patients...
- Oxidative stress is increased in primary and post-polycythemia vera myelofibrosisClaudia Vener
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche, Ematologia, Centro Trapianti di Midollo, Milan, Italy
Exp Hematol 38:1058-65. 2010..To determine if increased cell turnover in chronic myeloproliferative disorders can lead to hyperhomocysteinemia as a result of folate and/or cobalamin depletion, and contribute to oxidative stress...
- RAS mutations contribute to evolution of chronic myelomonocytic leukemia to the proliferative variantClara Ricci
Fondazione Matarelli, Dipartimento di Farmacologia, Chemioterapia e Tossicologia Medica e Università di Milano, Milan, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 16:2246-56. 2010....
- The European Consensus on grading of bone marrow fibrosis allows a better prognostication of patients with primary myelofibrosisUmberto Gianelli
U O C di Anatomia Patologica, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Mod Pathol 25:1193-202. 2012..In conclusion, our analysis suggests that better prognostication can be achieved in primary myelofibrosis patients when both systems are used together...
- Immunomodulatory drugs in multiple myeloma: from molecular mechanisms of action to clinical practiceRoberto Castelli
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, and Department of Medicine, IRCCS Ca Granda Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 34:740-53. 2012..In this paper, we review the pharmacology, mechanisms of action, pre-clinical and clinical efficacy, and the current status of IMIDs in the treatment of MM...
- Effects of simulated altitude (normobaric hypoxia) on cardiorespiratory parameters and circulating endothelial precursors in healthy subjectsMichele M Ciulla
Istituto di Medicina Cardiovascolare, Centro Interuniversitario di Fisiologia Clinica e Ipertensione, University of Milan, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Fondazione IRCCS, Milano, Italy
Respir Res 8:58. 2007....
- Circulating endothelial cells as a marker of ongoing vascular disease in systemic sclerosisNicoletta Del Papa
Department of Rheumatology, G Pini Hospital, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 50:1296-304. 2004..The aim of this study was to search for the presence of CECs in patients with SSc and to evaluate their clinical associations and possible pathogenic role...
- Endothelial colony forming capacity is related to C-reactive protein levels in healthy subjectsMichele M Ciulla
Istituto di Medicina Cardiovascolare, Centro di Fisiologia Clinica e Ipertensione, Universita di Milano, Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, IRCCS, Italy
Curr Neurovasc Res 3:99-106. 2006..The EPC clonogenic potential seems to be related to hs-CRP and VEGF levels even in healthy population supporting the concept that these mediators are involved in physiological ECs function...
- Effects of first- and second-generation tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy on glucose and lipid metabolism in chronic myeloid leukemia patients: a real clinical problem?Alessandra Iurlo
Oncohematology Division, IRCCS Ca Granda Maggiore Policlinico Hospital Foundation, and University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Oncotarget 6:33944-51. 2015..The aim of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of these alterations in a cohort of CML-chronic phase patients treated with imatinib, dasatinib or nilotinib...
- Low-dose alemtuzumab in refractory/relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia: Genetic profile and long-term outcome from a single center experienceMariarita Sciumè
Hematology Unit, IRCCS Ca granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico and University of Milan, Via Francesco Sforza, 35, Milan, Italy
Am J Hematol 90:970-4. 2015..5% experienced a grade ≥3 non-CMV infection and no grade ≥3 CMV-event occurred. In conclusion, low dose-alemtuzumab is safe and effective in relapsed/refractory CLL, also in a long-term follow-up and high-risk genetic subgroups...
- Low dose alemtuzumab in patients with fludarabine-refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemiaGiuseppe Gritti
Department of Medical Sciences, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 53:424-9. 2012..No deaths occurred during therapy. In conclusion, low-dose alemtuzumab shows a promising safety profile coupled with satisfactory effectiveness in this category of poor prognosis CLL patients...
- Low-dose rituximab in adult patients with idiopathic autoimmune hemolytic anemia: clinical efficacy and biologic studiesWilma Barcellini
Unità Operativa Ematologia, Fondazione Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Blood 119:3691-7. 2012..This study is registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01345708...
- Identification of kit(M541L) somatic mutation in chronic eosinophilic leukemia, not otherwise specified and its implication in low-dose imatinib responseAlessandra Iurlo
Hematology and Transplantation Unit, Foundation IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico and University of Milan, Milan, Italy Oncohematology Unit of the Elderly, Foundation IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico and University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Oncotarget 5:4665-70. 2014..Our study strongly suggests to search for the KIT(M541L) in patients with CEL, NOS, negative for PDGFRalpha and PDGFRbeta abnormalities, to identify a subgroup of cases who may benefit from low dose imatinib therapy...
- Relevance of telomere/telomerase system impairment in early stage chronic lymphocytic leukemiaMirjam Hoxha
Department of Clinical Sciences and Community Health, Center of Molecular and Genetic Epidemiology, University of Milan, Foundation IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 53:612-21. 2014..Moreover, the correlation between telomere shortening and global DNA hypomethylation supports the involvement of DNA hypomethylation to increase chromosome instability. © 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- B-cell receptor configuration and adverse cytogenetics are associated with autoimmune hemolytic anemia in chronic lymphocytic leukemiaFrancesco Maura
Department of Clinical Sciences and Community Health, University of Milan, Italy
Am J Hematol 88:32-6. 2013....
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a single-centre analysisClaudio Annaloro
Bone Marrow Transplantation Centre, Department of Hematology, Ospedale Maggiore and University of Milano, Milan, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 45:1175-80. 2004..Conversely, the results in more advanced disease phases are discouraging, due to poor quality CRs and inefficacy of GVL in managing large residual disease...
- Biosensors in clinical practice: focus on oncohematologyNicola S Fracchiolla
Department of Hematology Oncology and BMT Unit, IRCCS Cà Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Via Francesco Sforza 35, 20122 Milan, Italy
Sensors (Basel) 13:6423-47. 2013..The review also considers the challenges and future perspectives of biosensors in clinical practice...
- Diagnostic power of laboratory tests for hereditary spherocytosis: a comparison study in 150 patients grouped according to molecular and clinical characteristicsPaola Bianchi
Hematology 2 Unit, Foundation IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Via Francesco Sforza, 35, 20122 Milan, Italy
Haematologica 97:516-23. 2012..None of the available tests identifies all cases of hereditary spherocytosis...
- Thromboembolic complications in malignant haematological disordersRoberto Castelli
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, Via Pace 9, 20122 Milan, Italy
Curr Vasc Pharmacol 8:482-94. 2010..The very high risk of haemorrhaging in these patients warrants prospective randomised trials evaluating optimal anti-thrombotic prophylaxis and treatment...
- Possible association between reactive oxygen metabolites and karyotypic abnormalities in myelodysplastic syndromesNicola S Fracchiolla
Haematologica 88:594-7. 2003
- A pilot study of low-dose subcutaneous alemtuzumab therapy for patients with hemotherapy-refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemiaAgostino Cortelezzi
Haematologica 90:410-2. 2005..Subcutaneous low-dose alemtuzumab is effective in poor prognosis B-CLL, and has a particularly favourable toxicity profile...
- The prevalence and clinical relevance of p27 and cyclin E immunoreactivity in myelodysplastic syndromesGiancarlo Pruneri
Haematologica 88:109-10. 2003
- Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in patients with malignant haematological diseases: 10 years' experience of infection in GIMEMA centresLivio Pagano
Institute of Hematology, Sacred Heart Catholic University, Largo Francesco Vito 1, I 00168 Rome, Italy
Br J Haematol 117:379-86. 2002..Multivariate analysis showed that prolonged steroid treatment (P < 0.006) and a radiological picture of diffuse lung involvement (P < 0.003) were negative diagnostic factors...
- Survivin expression in "low-risk" and "high-risk" myelodysplastic syndromesUmberto Gianelli
II Cattedra di Anatomia Patologica, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, A O S Paolo e Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena di Milano, Italy
Ann Hematol 86:185-9. 2007..Moreover, higher levels of transcripts are related to "low-risk" MDS. Our results suggest an active role of Survivin in normal and in myelodysplastic hematopoiesis...
- Relationship between autoimmune phenomena and disease stage and therapy in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemiaWilma Barcellini
Department of Haematology, Padiglione Granelli, Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Via F Sforza 35 20122 Milan, Italy
Haematologica 91:1689-92. 2006....
- A gender-based score system predicts the clinical outcome of patients with early B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemiaStefano Molica
Medical Oncology Unit, Department of Oncology and Hematology, Azienda Ospedaliera Pugliese Ciaccio, Catanzaro, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 46:553-60. 2005....