Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Chieti
- Thiazolidinediones and inflammationA Consoli
Department of Medicine and Aging Sciences, University of Chieti, Italy
Lupus 14:794-7. 2005..TZDs might thus be considered for use in clinical trials targeting prevention of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular diseases and in pilot trials exploring the possibility that TZDs might help in the treatment of rheumatic diseases...
- [Intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes: is it harmful, needless or maybe useful in reducing cardiovascular risk?]Agostino Consoli
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Scienze dell Invecchiamento, Universita degli Studi G D Annunzio, Chieti
G Ital Cardiol (Rome) 11:7S-11S. 2010..Such trials should entail the use of the newer anti-diabetes agents which are not exposing the patients to the risk of hypoglycemia and weight gain...
- Potential side effects to GLP-1 agonists: understanding their safety and tolerabilityAgostino Consoli
G D Annunzio University, Department of Medicine and Aging Sciences, Edificio CeSi, Room 271, Via Colle dell Ara 1, 66100 Chieti, Italy 39 0871 541339 39 0871 541307
Expert Opin Drug Saf 14:207-18. 2015..Glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor (GLP-1Rx) agonists might elicit unwelcome side effects and concerns have recently been raised about their safety...
- [Towards evidence-based medicine: large-scale intervention trials with glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists]Agostino Consoli
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Scienze dell Invecchiamento, Universita degli Studi G D Annunzio, Chieti
G Ital Cardiol (Rome) 13:17S-22S. 2012..The design of such ongoing trials is described in this article...
- [Protective effects of glucagon-like peptide-1 on beta-cells: preclinical and clinical data]Agostino Consoli
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Scienze dell Invecchiamento, Universitá egli Studi G d Annunzio, Chieti
G Ital Cardiol (Rome) 12:5-9. 2011....
- G972R IRS-1 variant impairs insulin regulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in cultured human endothelial cellsMassimo Federici
Department of Medicine and Aging Sciences, Edificio CeSi, Room 271, University of Chieti, Via dei Vestini, 1, 66100 Chieti, Italy
Circulation 109:399-405. 2004....
- Mechanisms of uremic erythrocyte-induced adhesion of human monocytes to cultured endothelial cellsAssunta Pandolfi
Department of Biomorphology, University G D Annunzio, Aging Research Center, Ce S I, G d Annunzio University Foundation, Chieti Pescara, Italy
J Cell Physiol 213:699-709. 2007..Thus, intervention targeting ESRD-RBC increased adhesion to endothelium and/or MAPK and Akt/eNOS pathways may have the potential to prevent vascular lesions under uremic conditions...
- The TRIB3 R84 variant is associated with increased carotid intima-media thickness in vivo and with enhanced MAPK signalling in human endothelial cellsGloria Formoso
Department of Medicine and Aging Sciences, University G D Annunzio, Aging Research Center, Ce S I, G d Annunzio University Foundation, Edificio CeSi, Room 271, University of Chieti, Via dei Vestini, 1, 66100 Chieti Pescara, Italy
Cardiovasc Res 89:184-92. 2011..We wanted to replicate this latter association and, if so, to get deeper insights about the molecular mechanisms underlying the role of the TRIB3 Q84R polymorphism in atherosclerosis...
- TRIB3 R84 variant is associated with impaired insulin-mediated nitric oxide production in human endothelial cellsFrancesco Andreozzi
Department of Medicine and Aging Sciences, Edificio CeSi, Room 271, University of Chieti, Via dei Vestini 1, 66100 Chieti, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:1355-60. 2008..We have recently described a Q84R gain-of-function polymorphism of TRIB3 with the R84 variant being associated with insulin resistance and an earlier age at myocardial infarction...
- Decreased in vivo oxidative stress and decreased platelet activation following metformin treatment in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic subjectsGloria Formoso
Department of Medicine and Aging Sciences, University G D Annunzio, Chieti, Italy
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 24:231-7. 2008..Since oxidative stress and the consequent enhanced platelet activation contribute to accelerated atherosclerosis in diabetes, we hypothesized that metformin could reduce oxidative stress in this condition...
- Selective insulin resistance affecting nitric oxide release but not plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 synthesis in fibroblasts from insulin-resistant individualsAssunta Pandolfi
Aging Research Center, Ce S I, Gabriele D Annunzio University Foundation, Chieti Pescara, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:2392-7. 2005..Aim of this study was to investigate whether insulin effects on potentially pro-atherogenic and anti-atherogenic processes were differently affected in cells from insulin-resistant individuals...
- Adherence of uremic erythrocytes to vascular endothelium decreases endothelial nitric oxide synthase expressionMario Bonomini
Department of Medicine, Institute of Nephrology, University G D Annunzio, Chieti Pescara, Italy
Kidney Int 67:1899-906. 2005..Since nitric oxide (NO) is the principal endothelium-derived vasodilator, a reduction in the NO bioavailability may be envisaged in ESRD patients...
- Effect of an L-carnitine-containing peritoneal dialysate on insulin sensitivity in patients treated with CAPD: a 4-month, prospective, multicenter randomized trialMario Bonomini
Department of Medicine, Institute of Nephrology, G D Annunzio University, Chieti Pescara, Italy Electronic address
Am J Kidney Dis 62:929-38. 2013..We evaluate the efficacy of a peritoneal dialysis solution containing l-carnitine as an additive to improve insulin sensitivity...
- Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) regulates endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) activity and its localization within the human vein endothelial cells (HUVEC) in cultureRoberta Di Pietro
Department of Biomorphology, G D Annunzio University, Chieti Pescara, Italy
J Cell Biochem 97:782-94. 2006....
- Magnetic resonance imaging determined visceral fat reduction associates with enhanced IL-10 plasma levels in calorie restricted obese subjectsGloria Formoso
Department of Medicine and Aging, G D Annunzio University, Chieti Pescara, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e52774. 2012....
- Plasma exosome microRNA profiling unravels a new potential modulator of adiponectin pathway in diabetes: effect of glycemic controlDonato Santovito
Geriatric Clinic, European Center of Excellence on Atherosclerosis, Hypertension and Dyslipidemia, D S, V D N, P M, C M, C P, e V, M B, A M, F C Clinical Research Center, Center of Excellence on Aging D S, V D N, P M, C M, C P, M B, A M, A C, F C, Center of Predictive Molecular Medicine, Center of Excellence on Aging F B, Diabetes and Metabolism Unit, Department of Medicine and Aging Sciences A C, G D Annunzio University, 66100 Chieti, Italy and Institute for Cardiovascular Prevention D S, Ludwig Maximilians University, 80336 Munich, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99:E1681-5. 2014....
- Thromboxane-dependent CD40 ligand release in type 2 diabetes mellitusFrancesca Santilli
Center of Excellence on Aging and Department of Medicine, University of Chieti G d Annunzio Schools of Medicine and Pharmacy, Chieti, Italy
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:391-7. 2006....
- Acute hyperglycemia and acute hyperinsulinemia decrease plasma fibrinolytic activity and increase plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 in the ratA Pandolfi
Department of Medicine and Aging Science, University of Chieti, Italy
Acta Diabetol 38:71-6. 2001..001) clamps. These data show that in vivo both acute hyperglycemia and acute hyperinsulinemia can decrease plasma fibrinolytic potential and that this is due to increased plasma PAI-1 and decreased free t-PA activities...
- Postprandial hyperglycemia is a determinant of platelet activation in early type 2 diabetes mellitusF Santilli
Centre of Excellence on Aging, G d Annunzio University Foundation, Chieti, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 8:828-37. 2010..Chronic hyperglycemia is a major contributor to in vivo platelet activation in diabetes mellitus...
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 is increased in the arterial wall of type II diabetic subjectsA Pandolfi
Dipartimento di Medicina e Scienze dell' Invecchiamento, , Chieti, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 21:1378-82. 2001..These data provide evidence that diabetes is associated with increased PAI-1 in the arterial wall. This might be an important factor for increased cardiovascular risk and unfavorable plaque evolution in diabetes...
- Initiating oral glucose-lowering therapy with metformin in type 2 diabetic patients: an evidence-based strategy to reduce the burden of late-developing diabetes complicationsA Consoli
Department of Internal Medicine and Science of Aging, University G D Annunzio, Chieti, Italy
Diabetes Metab 30:509-16. 2004..Other national and local guideline committees should consider updating their recommendations on diabetes management in line with these findings...
- Insulin resistance affects gene expression in endotheliumClaudia Consoli
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:e7-9. 2008
- Dehydroepiandrosterone mimics acute actions of insulin to stimulate production of both nitric oxide and endothelin 1 via distinct phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase- and mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent pathways in vascular endotheliumGloria Formoso
Diabetes Unit, National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Building 10, Room 6C 205, 10 Center Drive MSC 1632, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1632, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:1153-63. 2006..Altering the balance between PI 3-kinase- and MAPK-dependent signaling in vascular endothelium may determine whether DHEA has beneficial or harmful effects relevant to the pathophysiology of diabetes...
- Exercise-induced improvement in vasodilatory function accompanies increased insulin sensitivity in obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitusElena De Filippis
Center for Metabolic Biology, Arizona State University, 350 East Orange Street, P O Box 873704, Tempe, Arizona 85287 3704, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4903-10. 2006....
- An increased osteoprotegerin serum release characterizes the early onset of diabetes mellitus and may contribute to endothelial cell dysfunctionPaola Secchiero
Department of Morphology and Embryology, University of Ferrara, Italy
Am J Pathol 169:2236-44. 2006..Altogether, these findings suggest that increased OPG production represents an early event in the natural history of diabetes mellitus, possibly contributing to disease-associated endothelial cell dysfunction...
- Glucagon dose-response curve for hepatic glucose production and glucose disposal in type 2 diabetic patients and normal individualsMasafumi Matsuda
Diabetes Division, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78229, USA
Metabolism 51:1111-9. 2002..The late (120 to 240 minutes) stimulation of hepatic glucose output (which primarily reflects gluconeogenesis) by glucagon tends to be increased, especially at supraphysiologic plasma glucagon concentrations...
- Phenotype modulation in cultures of vascular smooth muscle cells from diabetic rats: association with increased nitric oxide synthase expression and superoxide anion generationAssunta Pandolfi
Dipartimento di Biomorfologia, Universita di Chieti, Italy
J Cell Physiol 196:378-85. 2003....
- Effects of multiple daily injection therapy with Humalog mixtures versus separately injected insulin lispro and NPH insulin in adults with type I diabetes mellitusParis Roach
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, 545 Barnhill Drive, EH 421, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Clin Ther 26:502-10. 2004..When used in a similar fashion, premixed, fixed-ratio insulin preparations containing LP and NPL (an LP-based intermediate-acting insulin) may provide the basis for an optimized basal-bolus insulin regimen...
- Soluble RAGE in type 2 diabetes: association with oxidative stressEleonora Devangelio
Center of Excellence on Aging and Departments of Medicine and Drug Sciences, University of Chieti G d Annunzio Schools of Medicine and Pharmacy, 66013 Chieti, Italy
Free Radic Biol Med 43:511-8. 2007..0001). Thus, poor glycemic control reduces sRAGE levels, in association with enhanced oxidative stress and endothelial dysfunction in diabetes. These abnormalities are susceptible to modulation by improvement in metabolic control...
- The C242T polymorphism of the p22phox component of NAD(P)H oxidase and vascular risk. Two case-control studies and a meta-analysisAugusto Di Castelnuovo
Laboratory of Genetic and Environmental Epidemiology, Center for High Technology Research and Education in Biomedical Sciences, Catholic University, Campobasso, Italy
Thromb Haemost 99:594-601. 2008....