Affiliation: University of Padova
- Granulocyte transfusions from G-CSF-stimulated donors for the treatment of severe infections in neutropenic pediatric patients with onco-hematological diseasesSimone Cesaro
Clinic of Pediatric Oncology Hematology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128 Padova, Italy
Support Care Cancer 11:101-6. 2003..Further controlled studies are needed to assess the exact role of GTX in the outcome of neutropenic patients with severe infection and any criteria for patient selection and the timing of GTX administration...
- Successful engraftment and stable full donor chimerism after myeloablation with thiotepa, fludarabine, and melphalan and CD34-selected peripheral allogeneic stem cell transplantation in hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosisSimone Cesaro
Clinic of Pediatric Oncology Hematology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128 Padua, Italy
Am J Hematol 72:143-6. 2003..This case suggests that a fludarabine-based conditioning regimen and CD34-selected peripheral allogeneic HSCT may be a feasible option in case of unavailability of a fully HLA-matched related or unrelated donor...
- A simplified method of antibiotic lock therapy for Broviac-Hickman catheters using a CLC 2000 connector deviceSimone Cesaro
Clinic of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128, Padova, Italy
Support Care Cancer 15:95-9. 2007..We report a simplified method of performing antibiotic lock therapy (ALT) based on a disposable central venous catheter (CVC) hub device, CLC 2000, enabling an open-ended CVC to be flushed with normal saline solution without heparin...
- Assessment of nephrotoxicity of high-cumulative dose of liposomal amphotericin B in a pediatric patient who underwent allogeneic bone marrow transplantationSimone Cesaro
Department of Pediatrics, Clinic of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Pediatr Transplant 10:255-8. 2006..This case suggests that liposomal amphotericin B is safe and well-tolerated even if is administered for long periods and a cumulative dose fivefold greater than the nephrotoxic threshold of amphotericin B deoxycholate is achieved...
- Haematopoietic stem cell transplantation for Shwachman-Diamond disease: a study from the European Group for blood and marrow transplantationSimone Cesaro
Department of Pediatrics, Clinic of Paediatric Haematology Oncology, University of Padova, Italy
Br J Haematol 131:231-6. 2005..Further improvements would be anticipated by a better definition of the optimum time in the course of disease to transplant and by the adoption of less toxic conditioning regimens...
- Cidofovir for cytomegalovirus reactivation in pediatric patients after hematopoietic stem cell transplantationS Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology Clinic, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, 35128 Padova, Italy
J Clin Virol 34:129-32. 2005..This drug has a very favorable pharmacokinetic profile that enables intermittent dosing, but the potential for nephrotoxicity has hitherto restricted its use in stem cell transplant recipients. Data on pediatric patients are limited...
- Voriconazole for invasive aspergillosis in oncohematological patients: a single-center pediatric experienceSimone Cesaro
Clinic of Pediatric Oncology Haematology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128, Padova, Italy
Support Care Cancer 11:722-7. 2003..Voriconazole appears to be an effective salvage treatment for invasive aspergillosis in pediatric patients, with good responses in patients who recover from neutropenia or are not relapsing...
- Incidence and treatment of hemorrhagic cystitis in children given hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a survey from the Italian association of pediatric hematology oncology-bone marrow transplantation groupS Cesaro
Clinica di Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Dipartimento di Pediatria, Universita di Padova, Padova, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 32:925-31. 2003..03, respectively. This study indicates that age and type of HSCT are factors predisposing to HC in children given HSCT and demonstrates the promising role of HOT in a conservative approach to HC treatment...
- A prospective survey on incidence and outcome of Broviac/Hickman catheter-related complications in pediatric patients affected by hematological and oncological diseasesSimone Cesaro
Department of Pediatrics, Clinic of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128, Padova, Italy
Ann Hematol 83:183-8. 2004..These data underline the importance of more effectively securing the CVC to subcutaneous tissue in pediatric patients to reduce accidental dislocations...
- Safety and efficacy of caspofungin and liposomal amphotericin B, followed by voriconazole in young patients affected by refractory invasive mycosisSimone Cesaro
Clinic of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, Padova, Italy
Eur J Haematol 73:50-5. 2004..Data on the use of combination of liposomal amphotericin B and caspofungin followed by voriconazole, as maintenance or further rescue treatment, in 10 patients with invasive mycosis are reported...
- Unrelated bone marrow transplantation for high-risk anaplastic large cell lymphoma in pediatric patients: a single center case seriesS Cesaro
Clinic of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128 Padua, Italy
Eur J Haematol 75:22-6. 2005..tumor effect...
- Immune reconstitution complicated by CMV retinitis in a pediatric patient who underwent haploidentical CD34+-selected hematopoietic stem cell transplant for acute lymphoblastic leukemiaSimone Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128, Padova, Italy
Int J Hematol 88:145-8. 2008..Usually, it is responsive to antiviral therapy. Dilated fundoscopic examination is essential both for examining patients with reduced visual acuity and for screening asymptomatic patients...
- Results of a multicenter retrospective study of a combined medical and surgical approach to pulmonary aspergillosis in pediatric neutropenic patientsSimone Cesaro
Clinic of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 49:909-13. 2007..Surgical resection has been reported to improve disease control and patient survival. There are few reports describing the role of surgery in children with pulmonary IA...
- An updated follow-up of chronic hepatitis C after three decades of observation in pediatric patients cured of malignancySimone Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 55:108-12. 2010..The aim of the study was to evaluate the clinical characteristics and the long-term outcome of chronic hepatitis C in a cohort of Caucasian children cured of pediatric malignancy...
- Prospective, randomized trial of two different modalities of flushing central venous catheters in pediatric patients with cancerSimone Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, Padova, Italy 35128
J Clin Oncol 27:2059-65. 2009..There are limited prospective data on whether the method of flushing affects the complication rate of tunnelled central venous catheters (CVCs)...
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis: a retrospective analysis of data from the Italian Association of Pediatric Hematology Oncology (AIEOP)Simone Cesaro
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Dipartimento di Pediatria, Universita di Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128, Padova Italy
Haematologica 93:1694-701. 2008..Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis is a life-threatening disease. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation still represents the treatment of choice for most patients with this disease...
- Successful treatment of a catheter-related right atrial thrombosis with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator and heparinSimone Cesaro
Clinica di Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Dipartimento di Pediatria, Universita di Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128 Padova, Italy
Support Care Cancer 10:253-5. 2002..Further studies are needed to determine the best antithrombotic treatment for CVC-related thrombosis, and also the dosage of the medication selected and the duration of treatment...
- Assessment of the lightcycler PCR assay for diagnosis of invasive aspergillosis in paediatric patients with onco-haematological diseasesS Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Padova, Italy
Mycoses 51:497-504. 2008..The high NPV makes LightCycler PCR a promising tool in addition to GM testing to design a strategy of pre-emptive antifungal therapy, although further validation studies are needed...
- A prospective study of BK-virus-associated haemorrhagic cystitis in paediatric patients undergoing allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantationS Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 41:363-70. 2008..01, and a lower event-free survival, 42 vs 62%, P 0.03, compared to patients without HC. We conclude that BK detection in urine and/or plasma is a specific predictor for developing HC...
- The use of cytokine-stimulated healthy donors in allogeneic stem cell transplantationSimone Cesaro
Clinic of Pediatric Oncology Hematology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128 Padua, Italy
Haematologica 87:35-41. 2002....
- Safety and efficacy of a caspofungin-based combination therapy for treatment of proven or probable aspergillosis in pediatric hematological patientsSimone Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 7:28. 2007..The recent development of new antifungal drugs gives the clinician the possibility to assess the combination of antifungal drugs with in-vitro or in animal-model synergistic effect...
- The real-time polymerase chain reaction-guided modulation of immunosuppression enables the pre-emptive management of Epstein-Barr virus reactivation after allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantationSimone Cesaro
Clinic of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Department of Paediatrics, University of Padova, Italy
Br J Haematol 128:224-33. 2005..In conclusion, EBV reactivation is frequent even in 'low risk' patients and the pre-emptive modulation of immunosuppression enables it to be managed safely, with no significant flare in graft-versus-host disease status...
- Total body irradiation, thiotepa, and cyclophosphamide as a conditioning regimen for children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in first or second remission undergoing bone marrow transplantation with HLA-identical siblingsM Zecca
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pavia, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
J Clin Oncol 17:1838-46. 1999....
- Extracorporeal photochemotherapy may improve outcome in children with acute GVHDE Calore
Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology Oncology, University of Padua, Padova, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 42:421-5. 2008..Our data seem to suggest that ECP may improve outcome in patients after UBMT. These findings need to be confirmed in a larger population...
- Relationship between clinical and BK virological response in patients with late hemorrhagic cystitis treated with cidofovir: a retrospective study from the European Group for Blood and Marrow TransplantationS Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Integrata, Verona, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 48:809-13. 2013..We conclude that in patients with HC, the response to CDV treatment is usually associated with a significant reduction of BK viremia load...
- Successful unrelated bone marrow transplantation for Shwachman-Diamond syndromeS Cesaro
Paediatric Oncology-Hematology Clinic, University of Padova, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 27:97-9. 2001....
- Interferon treatment of chronic hepatitis C in patients cured of pediatric malignanciesS Cesaro
Clinica Oncoematologica Pediatrica, Dipartimento di Pediatria, Universita di Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128 Padua, Italy
Haematologica 85:63-6. 2000..Our purpose was to assess efficacy of and tolerance to interferon in a group of young patients who had acquired HCV infection during a period of chemotherapy...
- High-dose melphalan with autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for acute myeloid leukemia: results of a retrospective analysis of the Italian Pediatric Group for Bone Marrow TransplantationS Cesaro
Clinica di Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Dipartimento di Pediatria, , Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 28:131-6. 2001....
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in the treatment of pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a pediatric single center experienceC Messina
Clinica di Onco Ematologia Pediatrica, Dipartimento di Pediatria, Universita degli Studi, Azienda Ospedaliera di Padova, Italy
Haematologica 87:20-3. 2002
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae fungemia in a neutropenic patient treated with Saccharomyces boulardiiS Cesaro
Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Italy
Support Care Cancer 8:504-5. 2000..In other cases, authors demonstrated an identity between the two strains with a more detailed analysis. These reports raise concern about the potential side effects of such biotherapeutic agents...
- Assessment of CMV load in solid organ transplant recipients by pp65 antigenemia and real-time quantitative DNA PCR assay: correlation with pp67 RNA detectionCarlo Mengoli
Dipartimento di Istologia, Microbiologia e Biotecnologie Mediche, Universita di Padova, Padua, Italy
J Med Virol 74:78-84. 2004....
- Retrospective survey on the prevalence and outcome of prior autoimmune diseases in patients with aplastic anemia reported to the registry of the European group for blood and marrow transplantationSimone Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Acta Haematol 124:19-22. 2010..Aplastic anemia (AA) is rarely described after a diagnosis of autoimmune disease (aID)...
- Anaplastic large cell lymphoma treated with a leukemia-like therapy: report of the Italian Association of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (AIEOP) LNH-92 protocolAngelo Rosolen
Clinica di Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Azienda Ospedaliera Universita di Padova, Padova, Italy
Cancer 104:2133-40. 2005..In the early 1990s, the Italian Association of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (AIEOP) initiated a multicenter trial for the treatment of ALCL based on a modified LSA2-L2 protocol...
- Case report: Kinetics of Epstein-Barr virus load in a bone marrow transplant patient with no sign of lymphoproliferative diseaseMaria Angela Biasolo
Dipartimento di Istologia, Microbiologia e Biotecnologie Mediche, Universita di Padova, Padova, Italy
J Med Virol 69:220-4. 2003..According to these data gamma-herpesviruses behave like beta-herpesviruses in being capable of rapid growth...
- Extracorporeal photochemotherapy for paediatric patients with graft-versus-host disease after haematopoietic stem cell transplantationChiara Messina
Paediatric Haematology and Oncology Unit, University of Padua, Italy
Br J Haematol 122:118-27. 2003..04). Our results suggest that ECP is an effective treatment that may be useful in paediatric patients with either acute or chronic GVHD who have failed to respond to standard immunosuppressive therapy...
- Role of fibrinolytic and clotting parameters in the diagnosis of liver veno-occlusive disease after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in a pediatric populationMaria Teresa Sartori
Internal Medicine, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua Medical School, Italy
Thromb Haemost 93:682-9. 2005..In conclusion, variations in fibrinolytic test findings after HSCT, and PAI-1 in particular, may facilitate the early diagnosis of VOD in pediatric patients after HSCT...
- Assessment of humoral immunity to poliomyelitis, tetanus, hepatitis B, measles, rubella, and mumps in children after chemotherapyMatteo Zignol
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Cancer 101:635-41. 2004....
- Long-term results of the first Italian Association of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology protocol for the treatment of pediatric B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (AIEOP LNH92)Marta Pillon
Clinica di Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Azienda Ospedaliera Universita di Padova, Padua, Italy
Cancer 101:385-94. 2004....
- A prospective study on modulation of immunosuppression for Epstein-Barr virus reactivation in pediatric patients who underwent unrelated hematopoietic stem-cell transplantationSimone Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Italy
Transplantation 89:1533-40. 2010..We evaluated whether the modulation of immunosuppression (IS) guided by quantitative polymerase chain reaction for EBV (EBV-PCR) was effective as a first-line therapeutic approach for EBV reactivation...
- A prospective survey on incidence, risk factors and therapy of hepatic veno-occlusive disease in children after hematopoietic stem cell transplantationSimone Cesaro
Clinic of Pediatric Hematology Oncology Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128 Padova, Italy simone cesaro unipd it
Haematologica 90:1396-404. 2005..We conducted a prospective survey of 244 hematopoietic stem cell transplants in children to determine the incidence of VOD, its main risk factors, treatment and effect on the transplant...
- Cidofovir for BK virus-associated hemorrhagic cystitis: a retrospective studySimone Cesaro
University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 49:233-40. 2009..BK virus-associated hemorrhagic cystitis (BKV-HC) is a severe complication after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT), but antiviral treatment for this condition has not been evaluated...
- Human cytomegalovirus DNAemia and preemptive treatment of CMV infection in children after hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation: is any question settled?Simone Cesaro
Blood 111:4419; author reply 4420. 2008
- Is there really a need for anti-coagulant prophylaxis for CVC-related thrombotic complications in pediatric oncological-hematological diseases?Simone Cesaro
Support Care Cancer 10:258-9; author reply 260-1. 2002
- Unrelated donor marrow transplantation in childhood: a report from the Associazione Italiana Ematologia e Oncologia Pediatrica (AIEOP) and the Gruppo Italiano per il Trapianto Midollo Osseo (GITMO)Giorgio Dini
U O Ematologia Oncologia Pediatrica, IRCCS G Gaslini, Genova, Italy
Haematologica 87:51-7. 2002....
- Clinical benefits of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor therapy after hematopoietic stem cell transplant in children: results of a prospective randomized trialSandro Dallorso
U O Ematologia ed Oncologia Pediatrica, Istituto G Gaslini, Genoa, Italy
Haematologica 87:1274-80. 2002....
- Impact of the intensity of the pretransplantation conditioning regimen in patients with prior invasive aspergillosis undergoing allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: A retrospective survey of the Infectious Diseases Working Party of the EuroRodrigo Martino
Hematology Department of Sant Pau Hospital, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain
Blood 108:2928-36. 2006..001]). These findings may help in the interpretation and design of future studies on secondary prophylaxis of IA after an allo-HSCT...
- Rituximab (anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody) in children with chronic refractory symptomatic immune thrombocytopenic purpura: efficacy and safety of treatmentEmilia Parodi
Pediatric Department, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
Int J Hematol 84:48-53. 2006..05). No major infections were reported during follow-up. Our data show the efficacy and tolerability of rituximab in young children with refractory symptomatic ITP. Nonrelapsed patients showed a more prolonged B-cell depletion...
- Peripherally inserted central venous catheter in pediatric hematological patientsSimone Cesaro
Support Care Cancer 12:813-4; author reply 815-6. 2004
- Does granulocyte transfusion play a role in the multidisciplinary treatment of invasive mycosis?Simone Cesaro
Support Care Cancer 15:233-4; author reply 235. 2007
- Fungal infections in children with cancer: a prospective, multicenter surveillance studyElio Castagnola
G Gaslini Children Hospital, Genova, Italy
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:634-9. 2006..Data on epidemiology and survival after fungal infections in patients with cancer are primarily based on studies in adults, whereas few data are available on children...
- Combination antifungal therapy for invasive aspergillosisSimone Cesaro
Clin Infect Dis 40:1073-5; author reply 1075-6. 2005
- [The antibiotic-lock therapy in oncoematology pediatric unit]Matteo Bernardi
Medico Oncoemotologia Pediatrica, Azienda Ospedaliera di Podova
Assist Inferm Ric 24:127-31. 2005..In order to reduce the incidence of the removal of CVCs due to the persistent CVC -related infection, a new treatment based on a highly concentrated antibiotic lock solution instilled into the catheter lumen was proposed...
- Infliximab treatment for steroid-refractory acute graft-versus-host diseaseFrancesca Patriarca
Division of Haematology, Dept of Clinical and Morphological Research, University of Udine, Italy
Haematologica 89:1352-9. 2004..Tumor necrosis factor a is one of the principal cytokines involved in the pathogenesis of acute graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD). Infliximab is an antibody to this cytokine...
- Del 22Q11.2 and hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis: a non-random associationSimone Cesaro
Am J Med Genet A 116:208-9. 2003
- Which immunization for children after chemotherapy?Simone Cesaro
Eur J Haematol 75:174; author reply 179-80. 2005
- A multicenter, randomized, double blind placebo-controlled trial of amoxicillin/clavulanate for the prophylaxis of fever and infection in neutropenic children with cancerElio Castagnola
Infectious Disease Unit, National Institute for Cancer Research, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:359-65. 2003..To evaluate the effectiveness of oral amoxicillin/clavulanate (25 mg/kg every 12 h) for prevention of fever and/or infection in neutropenic children with cancer...
- Rituximab and factors predictive of response in chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura of childrenSimone Cesaro
J Pediatr 147:715; author reply 715-6. 2005
- Legislative and ethical aspects of administering granulocyte colony-stimulating factor to normal donorsGiustina De Silvestro
Blood Transfusion Service, Apheresis Unit, University Hospital of Padova, Italy
Haematologica 87:28-34. 2002
- Successful treatment with the monoclonal antibody rituximab in two children with refractory autoimmune thrombocytopeniaAnna Pusiol
Division of Paediatrics, University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy
Eur J Pediatr 163:305-7. 2004..Controlled clinical trials are needed to evaluate the efficacy and long-term side-effects of rituximab in this group of patients...