Affiliation: University of Padova
- Toledo Alvarado H, Vazquez A, de Los Campos G, Tempelman R, Gabai G, Cecchinato A, et al. Changes in milk characteristics and fatty acid profile during the estrous cycle in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2018;101:9135-9153 pubmed publisher..Hence, the variation in milk profiles of cows showing estrus should potentially be taken into account for precision dairy farming management. ..
- Ferragina A, de los Campos G, Vazquez A, Cecchinato A, Bittante G. Bayesian regression models outperform partial least squares methods for predicting milk components and technological properties using infrared spectral data. J Dairy Sci. 2015;98:8133-51 pubmed publisher..As part of our study, we provide scripts based on the open source R software BGLR, which can be used to train customized prediction equations for other traits or populations. ..
- Pegolo S, Cecchinato A, Mele M, Conte G, Schiavon S, Bittante G. Effects of candidate gene polymorphisms on the detailed fatty acids profile determined by gas chromatography in bovine milk. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:4558-4573 pubmed publisher..These results may support the possibility of using genetic selection to modify milk fatty acid profiles to promote beneficial health-related effects. ..
- Cipolat Gotet C, Cecchinato A, Stocco G, Bittante G. The 9-MilCA method as a rapid, partly automated protocol for simultaneously recording milk coagulation, curd firming, syneresis, cheese yield, and curd nutrients recovery or whey loss. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:1065-1082 pubmed publisher..g., milk gelation, curd firming, syneresis, and whey expulsion) as well as the cheese yield and the efficiency of energy or nutrients retention in the cheese or loss in the whey. ..
- Bobbo T, Cipolat Gotet C, Bittante G, Cecchinato A. The nonlinear effect of somatic cell count on milk composition, coagulation properties, curd firmness modeling, cheese yield, and curd nutrient recovery. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:5104-5119 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we report that a very low SCS has a negative effect on some technological traits of milk. ..
- Dadousis C, Biffani S, Cipolat Gotet C, Nicolazzi E, Rossoni A, Santus E, et al. Genome-wide association of coagulation properties, curd firmness modeling, protein percentage, and acidity in milk from Brown Swiss cows. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:3654-3666 pubmed publisher..The new CFt traits reinforced the support of MCP signals and provided with additional information on genomic regions that might be involved in regulation of the coagulation process of bovine milk. ..
- Bergamaschi M, Cecchinato A, Biasioli F, Gasperi F, Martin B, Bittante G. From cow to cheese: genetic parameters of the flavour fingerprint of cheese investigated by direct-injection mass spectrometry (PTR-ToF-MS). Genet Sel Evol. 2016;48:89 pubmed..More detailed investigations are necessary to connect VOC with the sensory properties of cheese and gain a better understanding of the significance of these new phenotypes. ..
- Dadousis C, Pegolo S, Rosa G, Gianola D, Bittante G, Cecchinato A. Pathway-based genome-wide association analysis of milk coagulation properties, curd firmness, cheese yield, and curd nutrient recovery in dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:1223-1231 pubmed publisher..This study provided new insights into the regulation of bovine milk coagulation and cheese ability that were not captured by the GWAS. ..
- Pegolo S, Cecchinato A, Casellas J, Conte G, Mele M, Schiavon S, et al. Genetic and environmental relationships of detailed milk fatty acids profile determined by gas chromatography in Brown Swiss cows. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:1315-1330 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results provide useful information to combine feeding with genetic selection strategies for obtaining a desirable milk fatty acids profile, depending on the origin of fatty acids in milk. ..
- Cecchinato A, Bittante G. Genetic and environmental relationships of different measures of individual cheese yield and curd nutrients recovery with coagulation properties of bovine milk. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:1975-1989 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our results demonstrated that the traditional MCP have limited relevance for predicting individual cheese yield. Therefore, their use for this purpose in the dairy industry and breeding programs seems questionable. ..
- Toledo Alvarado H, Vazquez A, de Los Campos G, Tempelman R, Bittante G, Cecchinato A. Diagnosing pregnancy status using infrared spectra and milk composition in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2018;101:2496-2505 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this research provides new insight into alternative strategies for pregnancy screening of dairy cows. ..
- Toledo Alvarado H, Cecchinato A, Bittante G. Fertility traits of Holstein, Brown Swiss, Simmental, and Alpine Grey cows are differently affected by herd productivity and milk yield of individual cows. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:8220-8231 pubmed publisher..Moreover, assessing the fertility of various breeds and their different responses to herd and individual productivity levels could be useful in devising more profitable crossbreeding programs in different dairy systems. ..
- Bobbo T, Ruegg P, Fiore E, Gianesella M, Morgante M, Pasotto D, et al. Short communication: Association between udder health status and blood serum proteins in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:9775-9780 pubmed publisher..Blood serum proteins can be a mammary gland inflammation indicator, but cannot be used to differentiate among different UH status groups. ..
- Dadousis C, Pegolo S, Rosa G, Bittante G, Cecchinato A. Genome-wide association and pathway-based analysis using latent variables related to milk protein composition and cheesemaking traits in dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:9085-9102 pubmed publisher..Our results support the feasibility of factor analysis as a dimension reduction technique in genomic studies and evidenced a potential key role of ?S2-CN in milk quality and composition. ..
- Bittante G, Cipolat Gotet C, Pazzola M, Dettori M, Vacca G, Cecchinato A. Genetic analysis of coagulation properties, curd firming modeling, milk yield, composition, and acidity in Sarda dairy sheep. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:385-394 pubmed publisher..Finally, in view of the estimated heritabilities and additive genetic correlations, enhancement of technological traits of sheep milk through selective breeding could be feasible in this population. ..
- Stocco G, Cipolat Gotet C, Bobbo T, Cecchinato A, Bittante G. Breed of cow and herd productivity affect milk composition and modeling of coagulation, curd firming, and syneresis. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:129-145 pubmed publisher..It seems that improvement in MCP depends more on genetics (e.g., breed, selection) than on environmental and management factors. ..