Affiliation: University of Rome La Sapienza
- Acute alcoholic hepatitisMauro Ceccanti
Alcohol Liver Disease Unit, University La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:833-41. 2006..The problems of liver transplant in severe AAH, and the need of a 6-month alcohol abstinence before transplant, are discussed, as well as the need of a careful psychologic assessment before the transplant...
- [Alcohol and women: clinical aspects]Mauro Ceccanti
Centro di Riferimento Alcologico Regione Lazio, Universita degli Studi La Sapienza, Rome
Ann Ist Super Sanita 40:5-10. 2004..Therefore interventions coping with this kind of issues are needed in order to enhance people's health...
- Hypertension in early alcohol withdrawal in chronic alcoholicsM Ceccanti
Alcohol Unit, University La Sapienza, Rome
Alcohol Alcohol 41:5-10. 2006..Hypertension is an established risk factor in chronic alcoholics, but little is known about the relationship between blood pressure (BP), severity of their alcohol abuse, and severity of alcohol withdrawal syndrome (AWS)...
- Gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB) in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal syndrome: a randomized comparative study versus benzodiazepineG Addolorato
Institute of Internal Medicine, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 23:1596-604. 1999..The aim of the present randomized, controlled, single-blind study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of GHB compared with diazepam in the treatment of AWS...
- A case of Sweet's syndrome associated with monoclonal immunoglobulin of IgG-lambada type and p-ANCA positivityR Nocente
Emergency Department, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Panminerva Med 44:149-50. 2002..The monoclonal immunoglobulin, possibly directed to neutrophils like an antibody, may cause both their fragmentation and release of antigens responsible of p-ANCA appearance...
- Erythrocyte thiamine (Th) esters: a major factor of the alcohol withdrawal syndrome or a candidate marker for alcoholism itself?M Ceccanti
Alcohol Unit, University La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
Alcohol Alcohol 40:283-90. 2005..Thiamine (Th) deficiency is a major problem in alcoholics. In this study, the relationship of alcohol withdrawal syndrome (AWS) to Th and its esters, as well as the diagnostic power of Th and its esters were investigated...
- Chronic and acute alcohol exposure prevents monocyte-derived dendritic cells from differentiating and maturingB Buttari
Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Parassitarie ed Immunomediate, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 21:929-39. 2008..Collectively, our results provide evidence that chronic and acute alcohol exposure prevents DCs from differentiating and maturing in response to a microbial stimulus...
- Chronic treatment with rivastigmine in patients with Alzheimer's disease: a study on primary motor cortex excitability tested by 5 Hz-repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulationA Trebbastoni
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 123:902-9. 2012....
- Acute and chronic effects of ethanol on cortical excitabilityA Conte
Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Rome Sapienza, Viale dell Universita, 30, 00185, Rome, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 119:667-74. 2008..We designed this study to find out whether 5Hz repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) would disclose changes in cortical plasticity after acute intake of ethanol and in patients with chronic alcohol consumption...
- Women, alcohol and the environment: an update and perspectives in neuroscienceRosanna Mancinelli
National Center for Chemical Substances, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Funct Neurol 24:77-81. 2009..Several lines of evidence indicate that prenatal ethanol exposure can influence cell proliferation and differentiation in the central nervous system, causing severe neurotoxicity and permanent birth defects...
- Delayed ANCA positivity in pulmonary-renal syndromeR Nocente
Emergency Department, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Panminerva Med 44:73-5. 2002..Six months later, the patient died of a gastrointestinal hemorrhage due to bowel perforation by vasculitic lesion. This time high p-ANCA positivity was detected and at renal histology crescentic glomeruli were observed...
- Clinical delineation of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD) in Italian children: comparison and contrast with other racial/ethnic groups and implications for diagnosis and preventionMauro Ceccanti
University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 31:270-7. 2007....
- Biomarkers in alcohol misuse: their role in the prevention and detection of thiamine deficiencyRosanna Mancinelli
Department of Environment and Primary Prevention, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Roma, Italy
Alcohol Alcohol 44:177-82. 2009..Appropriate use of these markers is very helpful when considering a diagnosis of alcohol-related TD...
- Simultaneous liquid chromatographic assessment of thiamine, thiamine monophosphate and thiamine diphosphate in human erythrocytes: a study on alcoholicsRosanna Mancinelli
Clinical Biochemistry Department, Istituto Superiore di Sanit, Rome, Italy
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 789:355-63. 2003..4+/-35.9 nmol/l (P<0.001) and TDP=127.4+/-62.5 nmol/l (P<10(-5)). The diagnostic role of TDP was evaluated and a significant role for thiamine was established in the study of alcohol related problems...
- Hepatocyte growth factor, vascular endothelial growth factor, glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor and nerve growth factor are differentially affected by early chronic ethanol or red wine intakeMarco Fiore
Istituto di Neurobiologia e Medicina Molecolare, Rome, Italy
Toxicol Lett 188:208-13. 2009..In conclusion the present findings in the mouse show differences in ethanol-induced toxicity when ethanol is administered alone or in red wine that may be related to compounds with antioxidant properties present in the red wine...
- MRI and muscle signal intensities in alcoholics compared with control subjectsMarco Bigliocchi
Department of Radiology, Alcohol Liver Unit, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:1875-80. 2004..This technique could be included among other diagnostic tools for alcoholic myopathy with further improvements and if the signal alterations can be corroborated by biopsy evidence...
- Fetal alcohol syndrome disorders: experience on the field. The Lazio study preliminary reportDaniela Fiorentino
Centro di Riferimento Alcologico Regione Lazio, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Universita degli Studi La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Ann Ist Super Sanita 42:53-7. 2006..Preliminary consideration and the implications of this study for FASD prevention are discussed...
- Female drinking, environment and biological markersRosanna Mancinelli
Dipartimento di Ambiente e Connessa Prevenzione Primaria, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Ann Ist Super Sanita 42:31-8. 2006..The update of alcohol studies shows the greater severity of alcohol damage in female and the need of gender-targeted intervention...
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism and the study of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. The International ConsortiumFaye Calhoun
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Ann Ist Super Sanita 42:4-7. 2006..The objectives of the Consortium are reported, as well as its previous activities, the South Africa and Italy Projects (active case ascertainment initiatives), and its future activities...
- Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD): from experimental biology to the search for treatmentRosanna Mancinelli
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 31:165-7. 2007
- Epidemiology of FASD in a province in Italy: Prevalence and characteristics of children in a random sample of schoolsPhilip A May
Center on Alcholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions CASAA, The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:1562-75. 2006..To address these issues, an epidemiology study of FAS and other FASD was undertaken in Italian schools...
- Neurobehavioral characteristics of children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in communities from Italy: Preliminary resultsPiyadasa Kodituwakku
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:1551-61. 2006..Furthermore, the neurobehavioral characteristic most identified with children diagnosed with FASD was inattention followed by hyperactivity...
- Woman, alcohol and environment: Emerging risks for healthRosanna Mancinelli
Dipartimento Ambiente e Connessa Prevenzione Primaria, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161, Roma
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 31:246-53. 2007..Recent alcohol studies show the greater severity of alcohol damage in female subjects and the need of gender-targeted intervention...