Affiliation: University of Milan
- Is hyperhomocysteinemia an important risk factor of cardiovascular disease?Marco Cattaneo
Unita di Ematologia e Trombosi, Ospedale San Paolo, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita di Milano, Italy
Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 33:345-7. 2003
- Low vitamin B6 levels and the risk of recurrent venous thromboembolismGregor Hron
Unita di Ematologia e Trombosi, Ospedale San Paolo, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita di Milano, Milano, Italy
Haematologica 92:1250-3. 2007..01). Patients with PLP ''23.3 nmol/L had 1.8-fold higher recurrence risk (1.01-3.14) than patients with PLP >23.3 nmol/L (adjusted for confounders including homocysteine). Therefore, low vitamin B6 is a risk factor of recurrent VTE...
- MRS2500 [2-iodo-N6-methyl-(N)-methanocarba-2'-deoxyadenosine-3',5'-bisphosphate], a potent, selective, and stable antagonist of the platelet P2Y1 receptor with strong antithrombotic activity in miceBeatrice Hechler
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U311, Strasbourg, France
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 316:556-63. 2006..These results add further evidence for a role of the P2Y(1) receptor in thrombosis and validate the concept that targeting the P2Y(1) receptor could be a relevant alternative or complement to current antiplatelet strategies...
- Prevalence of hyperhomocysteinemia in adult gluten-sensitive enteropathy at diagnosis: role of B12, folate, and geneticsSimone Saibeni
Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Service, IRCCS Maggiore Hospital and University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:574-80. 2005..We evaluated the prevalence and the risk factors for hyperhomocysteinemia in patients with newly diagnosed GSE...
- The P2 receptors and congenital platelet function defectsMarco Cattaneo
Unit of Hematology and Thrombosis, Ospedale San Paolo, Department of Medicine, Surgery and Dentistry, DMCO University of Milano, Via di Rudini 8, 20142 Milan, Italy
Semin Thromb Hemost 31:168-73. 2005..The localization of both mutations in TM6 and EL3 identifies this region of P2Y (12) as a structurally and functionally critical region of the receptor...
- The P2 receptors in platelet functionBeatrice Hechler
INSERM, Etablissement Francais du Sang Alsace, 10 rue Spielmann, BP 36 67065 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Semin Thromb Hemost 31:150-61. 2005..As such, they represent potential targets for antithrombotic drugs...
- Effects of 5'-phosphate derivatives of 2-hexynyl adenosine and 2-phenylethynyl adenosine on responses of human platelets mediated by P2Y receptorsGloria Cristalli
Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche, Universita di Camerino, 62032 Camerino, Italy
J Med Chem 48:2763-6. 2005..On the contrary, the corresponding 2-phenylethynyladenosine di- (6) and triphosphate (8) did not induce platelet shape change or aggregation, but inhibited platelet aggregation induced by ADP...
- Inhibition of platelet functions and thrombosis through selective or nonselective inhibition of the platelet P2 receptors with increasing doses of NF449 [4,4',4'',4'''-(carbonylbis(imino-5,1,3-benzenetriylbis-(carbonylimino)))tetrakis-benzene-1,3-disulfonBeatrice Hechler
INSERM U 311, Etablissement Francais du Sang Alsace, 10, rue Spielmann, Strasbourg Cedex, France
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 314:232-43. 2005..Overall, our results indicate that NF449 constitutes a new tool to investigate the functions of the P2X1 receptor and could be a starting compound in the search for new antithrombotic drugs targeting the platelet P2 receptors...
- Antiaggregatory activity in human platelets of potent antagonists of the P2Y 1 receptorMarco Cattaneo
Hematology and Thrombosis Unit, Ospedale San Paolo, DMCO University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 68:1995-2002. 2004..Thus, all three of the bisphosphate derivatives are highly selective antagonists of the platelet P2Y(1) receptor, and MRS2500 is the most potent such antagonist yet reported...
- P2Y12 receptor antagonists: a rapidly expanding group of antiplatelet agentsMarco Cattaneo
Eur Heart J 27:1010-2. 2006
- Disorders of platelet function. Abnormalities of the platelet P2 receptorsMarco Cattaneo
Unita di Ematologia e Trombosi, Ospedale San Paolo Università degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy
Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 35:10-4. 2006
- Laboratory detection of 'aspirin resistance': what test should we use (if any)?Marco Cattaneo
Unita di Ematologia e Trombosi, Ospedale San Paolo, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita di Milano, Via di Rudini 8, Milano, Italy
Eur Heart J 28:1673-5. 2007
- Platelet aggregation studies: autologous platelet-poor plasma inhibits platelet aggregation when added to platelet-rich plasma to normalize platelet countMarco Cattaneo
Unita di Ematologia e Trombosi, Ospedale San Paolo, DMCO Università di Milan, Milan, Italy
Haematologica 92:694-7. 2007..Apyrase partially prevented the inhibitory effect of PPP. Therefore, the practice of diluting PRP with PPP to adjust platelet count should be avoided because it artefactually inhibits PA...
- Both vitamin B6 and total homocysteine plasma levels predict long-term atherothrombotic events in healthy subjectsDiego Vanuzzo
Cardiovascular Prevention Center, ASS 4 and Agenzia Regionale della Sanità del Friuli Venezia Giulia, Udine, Italy
Eur Heart J 28:484-91. 2007..We assessed the predictive value of total homocysteine (tHcy), vitamin B12, folate, and vitamin B6 on the long-term occurrence of coronary and cerebral atherothrombotic events in a nested case-control study...
- Platelet P2 receptors: old and new targets for antithrombotic drugsMarco Cattaneo
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Unità di Ematologia e Trombosi Ospedale San Paolo, Via di Rudinì 820142 Milano, Italy
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 5:45-55. 2007..Along with new P2Y12 antagonists, inhibitors of the other platelet receptor for ADP, P2Y1, and of the receptor for ATP, P2X1, are under development and may prove to be effective antithrombotic agents...
- Hyperhomocysteinemia and venous thromboembolismMarco Cattaneo
Hematology and Thrombosis Unit, Hospital San Paolo, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Semin Thromb Hemost 32:716-23. 2006....
- Homocysteine lowering by B vitamins and the secondary prevention of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: A randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trialMartin den Heijer
Department of Endocrinology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Blood 109:139-44. 2007..65-1.98) in the hyperhomocysteinemic group and 0.58 (95% CI, 0.31-1.07) in the normohomocysteinemic group. The results of our study do not show that homocysteine lowering by B vitamin supplementation prevents recurrent venous thrombosis...
- ADP receptors: inhibitory strategies for antiplatelet therapyMarco Cattaneo
Unita di Ematologia e Trombosi, Ospedale San Paolo Universita di Milano, Milano, Italy
Drug News Perspect 19:253-9. 2006..Along with new the P2Y(12) antagonists, inhibitors of the other platelet receptor for ADP, the antagonists P2Y(1), are under development and may prove to be effective antithrombotic agents...
- Rapid stimulation of tyrosine phosphorylation signals downstream of G-protein-coupled receptors for thromboxane A2 in human plateletsPietro Minuz
Department of Biomedical and Surgical Sciences, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Biochem J 400:127-34. 2006..These findings suggest that both tyrosine phosphorylation and the Rho/Rho-kinase pathway are required to activate platelet aggregation via G(12/13) plus G(z) signalling...
- Aspirin and clopidogrel: efficacy, safety, and the issue of drug resistanceMarco Cattaneo
Unita di Ematologia e Trombosi, Ospedale San Paolo, Universita di Milano, Via di Rudinì, 8, 20142 Milano, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:1980-7. 2004..At present, aspirin and clopidogrel resistance should not be looked for in the clinical setting, because there is no definite demonstration of an association with clinical events conditioning cost-effective changes in patient management...
- Antiplatelet agentsMarco Cattaneo
Ospedale San Paolo, University of Milano, Milano, Italy
Hematol J 5:S170-4. 2004
- Protease-activated receptors 1 and 4 do not stimulate G(i) signaling pathways in the absence of secreted ADP and cause human platelet aggregation independently of G(i) signalingSoochong Kim
Department of Physiology and the Sol Sherry Thrombosis Research Center, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Blood 99:3629-36. 2002....
- Adenosine diphosphate(ADP) does not induce thromboxane A2 generation in human plateletsMarco Cattaneo
Blood 99:3868-9; author reply 3869-70. 2002
- The pathogenesis of bladder detrusor endometriosisPaolo Vercellini
First Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Milano, Italy
Am J Obstet Gynecol 187:538-42. 2002....
- Hyperhomocysteinemia in cerebral vein thrombosisIda Martinelli
Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Ospedale Maggiore, University of Milan, Italy
Blood 102:1363-6. 2003..5 (95% CI, 5.7-67.3). In conclusion, hyperhomocysteinemia is associated with a 4-fold increased risk of cerebral vein thrombosis; whether or not its correction with vitamins reduces the risk of the disease remains to be demonstrated...
- Acyclic analogues of adenosine bisphosphates as P2Y receptor antagonists: phosphate substitution leads to multiple pathways of inhibition of platelet aggregationBin Xu
Molecular Recognition Section, Laboratory of Bioorganic Chemistry, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0810, USA
J Med Chem 45:5694-709. 2002..Thus, different substitution of the same nucleoside scaffold can target either of two P2Y receptors in platelets...
- Molecular bases of defective signal transduction in the platelet P2Y12 receptor of a patient with congenital bleedingMarco Cattaneo
A Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Ospedale Maggiore, University of Milan, 20122 Milan, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:1978-83. 2003..These studies delineate a region of P2Y(12) required for normal function after ADP binding...
- Determination of total homocysteine in plasma: comparison of the Abbott IMx immunoassay with high performance liquid chromatographyMaddalena Loredana Zighetti
Department of Internal Medicine, Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, University of Milan, Via Pace 9, 20122 Milan, Italy
Haematologica 87:89-94. 2002..The aim of this study was to compare the performance of a commercially available IMx immunoassay with that of a reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) method for measuring plasma total homocysteine (tHcy)...
- Inherited thrombocytopenias: a proposed diagnostic algorithm from the Italian Gruppo di Studio delle PiastrineCarlo L Balduini
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Universita di Pavia, Italy
Haematologica 88:582-92. 2003..However, diagnosis of these disorders is often difficult and requires competences that are limited to specialized centers. We, therefore, suspect that inherited thrombocytopenias are underreported because their diagnosis is often missed...
- A role of the fast ATP-gated P2X1 cation channel in thrombosis of small arteries in vivoBeatrice Hechler
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U 311, EFS Alsace 10, rue Spielmann, BP No 36, 67065 Strasbourg Cedex, France
J Exp Med 198:661-7. 2003..Overall, the P2X1 receptor appears to contribute to the formation of platelet thrombi, particularly in arteries in which shear forces are high...
- Contribution of protease-activated receptors 1 and 4 and glycoprotein Ib-IX-V in the G(i)-independent activation of platelet Rap1B by thrombinPaolo Lova
Center of Excellence in Applied Biology, Department of Biochemistry, University of Pavia, via Bassi 21, 27100 Pavia
J Biol Chem 279:25299-306. 2004..These results indicate that although both PAR-1 and PAR-4 signal Rap1B activation, the ability of thrombin to activate this GTPase independently of secreted ADP involves costimulation of both receptors as well as binding to GPIb-IX-V...
- Review of clinical, biochemical and genetic aspects of combined factor V and factor VIII deficiency, and report of a new affected familyElena M Faioni
DMCO, University of Milano and Hematology and Thrombosis Unit, Ospedale San Paolo, Via A Di Rudini, 8, 20142 Milan, Italy
Thromb Res 112:269-71. 2003
- Association of estrogen receptor-alpha genepolymorphisms with venous thrombosisFederico Lussana
Haematologica 91:279-80. 2006..We studied the distribution of ERalpha polymorphisms in patients with deep vein thrombosis. PvuII PP and XbaI XX genotypes may be associated with an approximately 2-fold increased DVT risk of deep vein thrombosis in men...
- A prototypic platelet septin and its participation in secretionJudith Dent
Division of Experimental Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:3064-9. 2002..These results provide new insights into the mechanisms regulating platelet secretion and identify platelet septins as a protein family contributing to membrane trafficking within the megakaryocyte and platelet...
- Abnormalities of homocysteine and B vitamins in the nephrotic syndromeGian Marco Podda
Centro Emofilia e Trombosi Angelo Bianchi Bonomi, Dipartmento di Medicina Interna e Dermatologia, Fondazione I R C C S Ospedale Maggiore, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Universita di Milano, Italy
Thromb Res 120:647-52. 2007..The prevalence in the nephrotic syndrome of high circulating levels of homocysteine and of low levels of the B vitamins that are involved in its metabolism, which may play a role in thrombosis, is not well defined...
- Effects of some pre-analytical conditions on the measurement of homocysteine and cysteine in plasmaMaddalena L Zighetti
Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Department of Internal Medicine, Milan, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 42:204-7. 2004..In conclusion, if blood samples for plasma total homocysteine and cysteine measurement cannot be kept on ice, they should be collected in acidic citrate dextrose to minimize the artifactual changes...
- Blood levels of homocysteine, folate, vitamin B6 and B12 in women using oral contraceptives compared to non-usersFederico Lussana
A Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Italy
Thromb Res 112:37-41. 2003..To compare the levels of total homocysteine (tHcy), folate, vitamin B6 and B12, in women not using oral contraceptives (OC) vs. those using OC...
- Measurement of warfarin in plasma by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and its correlation with the international normalized ratioRossana Lombardi
Department of Internal Medicine, Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, University and IRCCS Maggiore Hospital, Via Pace 9, Milan 20122, Italy
Thromb Res 111:281-4. 2003..The method displayed between-run CV of 11.8%. Recovery was 99%. The coefficients of correlation between warfarin concentration in 50 patients and weekly dosage or INR were 0.55 (p<0.0001) or 0.25 (p=0.079)...
- Low vitamin B(6) plasma levels, a risk factor for thrombosis, in inflammatory bowel disease: role of inflammation and correlation with acute phase reactantsSimone Saibeni
Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Service, Bianchi Bonomi Haemophilia and Thrombosis Center, IRCCS Maggiore Hospital and University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 98:112-7. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate vitamin B(6) plasma levels in IBD patients...
- Homocysteine and the risk of intrauterine growth retardationMarco Cattaneo
Clin Chem 49:1432-3. 2003
- Desmopressin in the treatment of patients with defects of platelet functionMarco Cattaneo
Haematologica 87:1122-4. 2002
- No effect of fasting plasma total homocysteine on protein C activity in vitroGianMarco Podda
Blood 101:2446-7. 2003