Affiliation: University of Florence
- Guidelines on the standards for the training of specialised health professionals dealing with breast cancerL Cataliotti
University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Eur J Cancer 43:660-75. 2007..The aim of this paper is to contribute to the increase in the level of care in a breast unit, as the input of qualified health professionals increases the quality of breast cancer patient care...
- Doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide versus cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and 5-fluorouracil as adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancerL Livi
Radiotherapy Unit, University of Florence, Italy
J Chemother 21:558-65. 2009..028, respectively. No significant difference between the two regimens was observed with regards to number of involved nodes. DC and CMF produced similar outcome in breast cancer patients...
- The management of elderly patients with T1-T2 breast cancer treated with or without radiotherapyL Livi
Unita Di Radioterapia, University of Florence, Firenze, Italy
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:473-8. 2005..The aim of the current study is to identify a subgroup of patients with breast cancer who have a low risk of local recurrence after conservative surgery in order to avoid radiotherapy treatment...
- Adjuvant trastuzumab in breast cancer: experience from the University of FlorenceL Livi
Radiotherapy Unit, University of Florence, Italy
J Chemother 22:115-8. 2010..The cumulative incidence of cardiotoxicity was 14.5%. In our experience trastuzumab given postoperatively with adjuvant chemotherapy was well tolerated and produced optimal clinical results in terms of disease-free survival...
- Monitoring surgical treatment of screen-detected breast lesions in ItalyV Distante
Universita di Firenze, Dipartimento Area Critica Medico Chirurgica, Sezione Clinica Chirurgica, Italy
Eur J Cancer 40:1006-12. 2004..A continuous monitoring should be performed and appropriate action taken in order to verify the effectiveness of the corrective actions and to provide screen-detected patients with the best quality of care...
- The impact of young age on breast cancer outcomeL Livi
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Florence, Viale Morgagni 85, 50134 Florence, Italy
Eur J Surg Oncol 36:639-45. 2010..We conducted a retrospective analysis in order to evaluate the impact of age on women aged less than 35 years affected by breast cancer...
- Lymphoscintigraphy and gamma probe tracing in detecting breast cancer lymph node involvement: can they replace axillary lymph node dissection?L Vaggelli
UO Medicina Nucleare Careggi, Azienda Ospedaliera Careggi, Florence, Italy
Tumori 86:322-4. 2000..Recently, radioisotope-guided sentinel node biopsy (SNB) has been proposed as a promising technique for staging breast cancer patients...
- Intraductal breast carcinoma. Review of a multicenter series of 350 cases. Coordinating Center and Writing Committee of FONCAM (National Task Force for Breast Cancer), ItalyS Ciatto
Centro per lo Studio e la Prevenzione Oncologica, University, Florence, Italy
Tumori 76:552-4. 1990..Four patients died of contralateral breast cancer, free of ipsilateral recurrence. A careful follow-up of the contralateral breast in DCIS cases looks as important as surveillance of the conserved breast...
- Quality indicators in breast cancer careM Rosselli del Turco
EUSOMA, Florence, Italy
Eur J Cancer 46:2344-56. 2010..Breast Units in Europe are invited to comply with these indicators and monitor them during their periodic audit meetings...
- Measurement of somatostatin receptor subtype 2 mRNA in breast cancer and corresponding normal tissueC Orlando
Clinical Biochemistry Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Endocr Relat Cancer 11:323-32. 2004..Featuring a possible role of somatostatin analogs in combined endocrine therapies for breast cancer, our results seem to confirm that the sst2 status of the tumor should be previously investigated...
- Lack of prognostic value of p53 protein expression in node-negative breast cancerS Bianchi
Institute of Anatomical Pathology and Histology, University of Florence, Italy
Tumori 83:669-72. 1997..CONCLUSIONS: We did not find any evidence supporting the use of p53 immunostaining in current practice as an independent prognostic indicator or as a discriminant factor for adjuvant treatment of node-negative breast cancer patients...
- Prognostic significance of c-erbB-2 expression in node negative breast cancerS Bianchi
University Institute of Anatomia e Istologia Patologica, Florence, Italy
Br J Cancer 67:625-9. 1993..C-erbB-2 expression is of no value to predict the clinical course of node negative patients in the current practice...
- [Somatostatin receptors in non-endocrine tumours]C Casini Raggi
, , Florence, Italy
Minerva Endocrinol 26:149-58. 2001..In breast cancer, it is possible that sensitivity to estrogens may have a positive influence on the expression of sst2. This might justify clinical trials with ss in breast cancer...
- Dermo quiz: the illness and death of Anna Maria Lodovica de' Medici, Palatine Electress (1667-1743)L Cataliotti
Dipartimento di Area Critica Medico Chirurgica, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Dermatol Ther 23:S37-40. 2010..The opportunity to exhume her corpse in the frame of the Medici Project will supply evidence for this interpretation...
- Risk of infiltrating breast cancer subsequent to lobular carcinoma in situ. The Coordinating Center and Writing Committee of FONCAM (National Task Force for Breast Cancer)S Ciatto
Centro per lo Studio e la Prevenzione Oncologica, , Italy
Tumori 78:244-6. 1992..The study confirms the higher risk of ipsilateral and contralateral cancer in LCIS patients and warns about the possible hazards of limited surgery in these cases...
- EUSOMA accreditation of breast unitsR W Blamey
EUSOMA Secretariat Via del Pratellino, 7, 50131 Florence, Italy
Eur J Cancer 42:1331-7. 2006..EUSOMA Guidelines have been published on several aspects of breast cancer and are on service provision as well as giving clinical guidance and providing the basis for audit...
- Avoiding axillary dissection in breast cancer surgery: a randomized trial to assess the role of axillary radiotherapyU Veronesi
Division of Senology, European Institute of Oncology, Via G Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Ann Oncol 16:383-8. 2005..The aim of the study was to assess the role of axillary radiotherapy (RT) in reducing axillary metastases in patients with early breast cancer who did not receive axillary dissection...
- Effects of patient selection on the applicability of results from a randomised clinical trial (EORTC 10853) investigating breast-conserving therapy for DCISN Bijker
Department of Radiation Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 87:615-20. 2002..Selection of patients may explain the differences in outcome of the randomised patients, and those not-entered. Thus, the results of this trial may not be applicable to all patients with ductal carcinoma in situ...
- The Hamburg statement: the partnership driving the European agenda on breast cancerJ Jassem
Division of Breast Surgery, Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri, Via Ferrata 8, I 27100 Pavia, Italy
Eur J Cancer 40:1810-1. 2004