Affiliation: University of Pavia
- Malnutrition in pregnancy following bariatric surgery: three clinical cases of fetal neural defectsGloria Pelizzo
Department of Maternal and Children s Health, Pediatric Surgery Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo and University of Pavia, P, le Golgi 2, Pavia 27100, Italy
Nutr J 13:59. 2014..Pregnancy following surgery for obesity is a particular condition requiring strict monitoring of nutrient intake necessary for fetal development and a favourable neonatal prognosis...
- Acute cerebellitis in varicella: a ten year case series and systematic review of the literatureElena Bozzola
Department of Pediatric, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, Pediatric and Infectious Diseases Unit, IRCCS, Rome, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 40:57. 2014..Nevertheless, it has been scarcely studied. The objective of this study were to asses the occurrence of AC among children hospitalized for varicella and to analyze its specific clinical picture and outcome...
- Multiple cerebral sinus thromboses complicating meningococcal meningitis: a pediatric case reportElena Bozzola
Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric and Infectious Diseases Unit, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, IRCCS, Rome, Italy
BMC Pediatr 14:147. 2014..Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVT) is a rare and potentially life-threatening condition in the pediatric population. The clinical presentation is frequently nonspecific; thus diagnosis is often delayed or missed...
- Growth hormone deficiency in a patient with becker muscular dystrophy: a pediatric case reportValeria Calcaterra
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pavia, 27100 Pavia, Italy Department of Pediatrics, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo Foundation, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Case Report Endocrinol 2013:684249. 2013..Conclusion. The possibility of a growth hormone deficiency and treatment with GH in patients with BMD cannot be excluded, especially considering the good therapeutic response...
- Isolated colon ischemia with norovirus infection in preterm babies: a case seriesGloria Pelizzo
Department of Mother and Child Health, Pediatric Surgery Unit, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo Foundation and University of Pavia, Pavia, 27100, Italy
J Med Case Rep 7:108. 2013..Norovirus infection with necrotizing enterocolitis has so far been reported as a specific tropism of the small bowel in premature newborns...
- 3-M syndrome associated with growth hormone deficiency: 18 year follow-up of a patientCristina Meazza
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pavia, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Piazzale C, Golgi 2, Pavia 27100, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 39:21. 2013..Notwithstanding the early start of therapy and good compliance, his growth rate was always very low, except for the first two years of treatment and he achieved a final height of 132 cm (-6.42 SDS)...
- Improved metabolic and cardiorespiratory fitness during a recreational training program in obese childrenValeria Calcaterra
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 26:271-6. 2013..Exercise training does not necessarily need to be vigorous, recreational programs are also effective and may encourage children to participate in physical activity and limit initial drop-out...
- The coexistence of type 1 diabetes, MODY2 and metabolic syndrome in a young girlValeria Calcaterra
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pavia, Italy
Acta Diabetol 49:401-4. 2012..The coexistence of MODY, type 1 diabetes and overweight-induced metabolic syndrome confirms that diabetes subtype probably represents a continuum of immune and metabolic dysfunction modified by genetic factors...
- Early-onset metabolic syndrome in prepubertal obese children and the possible role of alanine aminotransferase as marker of metabolic syndromeV Calcaterra
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Ann Nutr Metab 58:307-14. 2011..We evaluated the prevalence of MS in prepubertal obese children and the usefulness of ALT as an MS marker...
- Thrombophilic screening in Turner syndromeV Calcaterra
Department of Pediatrics, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo Foundation, Pavia, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 34:676-9. 2011....
- Iatrogenic diabetes mellitus during ACTH therapy in an infant with West syndromeValeria Calcaterra
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pavia and IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo Foundation, Italy
Acta Diabetol 48:345-7. 2011..When ACTH is used to treat patients with West syndrome, it is necessary to follow glycemic levels until to the end of therapy...
- Utility of breast ultrasonography in the diagnostic work-up of precocious puberty and proposal of a prognostic index for identifying girls with rapidly progressive central precocious pubertyV Calcaterra
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pavia and IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 33:85-91. 2009....
- Recurrence of giant juvenile breast fibroadenoma in a girl with Turner's syndromeV Calcaterra
Department of Pediatric Sciences, Foundation IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo and University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 22:281-3. 2009..Such masses are called solitary giant juvenile fibroadenomas, and local recurrence is unusual. We report here a case of recurrent juvenile giant breast fibroadenoma in a girl with Turner's syndrome...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome (MS) in children and adolescents with varying degrees of obesityV Calcaterra
Department of Pediatric Sciences, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo and University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 68:868-72. 2008..We estimated the prevalence of MS in Caucasian children and adolescents with varying degrees of obesity...
- Adiponectin, IL-10 and metabolic syndrome in obese children and adolescentsValeria Calcaterra
Department of Pediatrics, Found IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo and University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Acta Biomed 80:117-23. 2009..Our obese children showed hypoadiponectin and hyper-IL10 values. MetS was not associated with low IL-10. We probably observe a first phase of the complex mechanism implicated in the development of the MetS in children...
- Thyroid ultrasound in patients with Turner syndrome: influence of clinical and auxological parametersV Calcaterra
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pavia and IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo Foundation, P le Golgi 2, 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 34:260-4. 2011....
- Prevalence and incidence of scoliosis in Turner syndrome: a study in 49 girls followed-up for 4 yearsS Ricotti
Rehabilitation Unit, Department of Services and Diagnostic Medicine, Policlinico San Matteo Pavia IRCCS Foundation, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 47:447-53. 2011..Turner syndrome (TS) is a sex chromosome abnormality in females characterized by gonadal dysgenesis, short stature and skeletal malformations like kyphosis and scoliosis...
- Diagnosis of growth hormone deficiency is affected by calibrators used in GH immunoassaysC Meazza
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Horm Metab Res 44:900-3. 2012..These data confirm that GH values may depend on different calibrators used in the GH assay, affecting the formulation of GHD diagnosis and the consequent decision to start GH treatment...
- Pelvic ultrasound evaluation in patients with Turner syndrome during treatment with growth hormoneP Sampaolo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 22:172-7. 2003..Since GH interacts with gonadotropins in the stimulation of the human ovary, the aim of our study was to evaluate the possible effects of GH administration on uterine and ovarian characteristics...
- Pregnancy in a woman with Turner syndrome and celiac diseaseV Calcaterra
Department of Pediatric Sciences, University of Pavia and Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 30:598-600. 2007..We report the case of a patient, affected by Turner syndrome and celiac disease, in whom a spontaneous pregnancy occurred...
- Unusual presentation of juvenile granulosa cell tumor of the ovaryD Larizza
Department of Pediatric Sciences, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 29:653-6. 2006..We present a case report of juvenile granulosa cell tumor of the ovary (JGCT) with an unusual clinical presentation and hormonal secretion...
- Reduced sebum production in turner syndrome: a study of twenty-two patientsV Brazzelli
Department of Human and Hereditary Pathology, Institute of Dermatology, University of Pavia and Foundation IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 24:789-92. 2011..62 UA, p<0.001) and this significant difference was found in every facial zone. The reduction of sebum secretion may explain, using a simple and non-invasive method, the absence or the low incidence of acne in TS patients...
- Use of integrated real-time continuous glucose monitoring/insulin pump system in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: a 3-year follow-up studyAndrea E Scaramuzza
Department of Pediatrics, Azienda Ospedaliera, University of Milano, Ospedale Luigi Sacco, Milano, Italy
Diabetes Technol Ther 13:99-103. 2011..The objective of this study was the evaluation of the clinical use of SAP in a large series of children with type 1 diabetes using insulin pump therapy...
- Potential celiac disease in type 1 diabetes: a multicenter studyAdriana Franzese
Department of Pediatrics, Federico II University, Via S Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 92:53-6. 2011..To describe the prevalence of potential celiac disease (pot-CD) in young patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) and characterize their clinical features...
- HHV6 meningoencephalitis sequelae in previously healthy childrenE Bozzola
Pediatric and Infectious Disease Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, Rome, Italy
Infection 40:563-6. 2012..Complications are rare in healthy children. Encephalopathy has rarely been associated with HHV6 infection in children not affected by chronic disease...
- Major childhood infectious diseases and other determinants associated with type 1 diabetes: a case-control studyM T Tenconi
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Pavia, via Forlanini 2, I 27100, Pavia, Italy
Acta Diabetol 44:14-9. 2007....
- Prevalence, presentation and clinical evolution of Graves' disease in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitusF Lombardo
Department of Pediatric Sciences, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Horm Res Paediatr 76:221-5. 2011....