Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University Hospital of Modena and Reggio Emilia
Location: Modena, Italy
Associate Investigator examining the use of Adult Mesenchymal Stromal (Stem) Cells for use in Tissue Engineering Bone and as Therapeutic Agents for Cancer.
- Decellularized matrix from tumorigenic human mesenchymal stem cells promotes neovascularization with galectin-1 dependent endothelial interactionJorge S Burns
Molecular Endocrinology Laboratory KMEB, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
PLoS ONE 6:e21888. 2011..By exploring the heterogeneity in hMSC-TERT20 clones we aimed to understand molecular mechanisms by which mesenchymal stem cells may promote neovascularization...
- Stepwise transformation of primary thyroid epithelial cells by a mutant Ha-ras oncogene: an in vitro model of tumor progressionJ S Burns
Department of Pathology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Mol Carcinog 6:129-39. 1992..We postulate that these two phenomena are causally related to each other and to the transformed phenotype...
- The histopathology of a human mesenchymal stem cell experimental tumor model: support for an hMSC origin for Ewing's sarcoma?J S Burns
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Histol Histopathol 23:1229-40. 2008..The phenotype and ontogenesis of hMSC-TERT20 tumors was consistent with the hypothesis that sarcomas may arise from hMSC, providing a unique diploid model for exploring human sarcoma biology...
- The use of hTERT-immortalized cells in tissue engineeringMoustapha Kassem
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University Hospital of Odense, DK 5000, Odense C, Denmark
Cytotechnology 45:39-46. 2004..Thus, safety issues should be studied carefully before using the telomerized tissues in the clinic. Alternatively, the development of conditional or intermittent telomerase activation protocols is needed...
- Epigenetic modulation of cancer-germline antigen gene expression in tumorigenic human mesenchymal stem cells: implications for cancer therapyMorten Gjerstorff
Medical Biotechnology Center, University of Southern Denmark, Odense C, Denmark
Am J Pathol 175:314-23. 2009....
- Identifying a molecular phenotype for bone marrow stromal cells with in vivo bone-forming capacityKenneth H Larsen
Laboratory for Molecular Endocrinology KMEB, Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital of Odense and Medical Biotechnology Center, University of Southern Denmark, Odense C, Denmark
J Bone Miner Res 25:796-808. 2010..Identifying more of these predictive markers would be very useful in the quality control of osteoblastic cells before use in therapy...
- Parameters in three-dimensional osteospheroids of telomerized human mesenchymal (stromal) stem cells grown on osteoconductive scaffolds that predict in vivo bone-forming potentialJorge S Burns
Laboratory for Molecular Endocrinology KMEB, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital and Medical Biotechnology Center, Odense, Denmark
Tissue Eng Part A 16:2331-42. 2010....
- Cancer-germline antigen vaccines and epigenetic enhancers: future strategies for cancer treatmentMorten Frier Gjerstorff
Odense University Hospital, Sdr Boulevard 29, DK 5000, Odense C, Denmark
Expert Opin Biol Ther 10:1061-75. 2010....
- siRNA nanoparticle functionalization of nanostructured scaffolds enables controlled multilineage differentiation of stem cellsMorten Ø Andersen
Interdisciplinary Nanoscience Center, Aarhus University, Aarhus C, Denmark
Mol Ther 18:2018-27. 2010..As a consequence of this, we predict that complex tissues and organs can be engineered by the in situ development of multiple cell types guided by spatially restricted nanoparticles...
- Insulin resistance is not conserved in myotubes established from women with PCOSMette Eriksen
Department of Endocrinology, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
PLoS ONE 5:e14469. 2010....
- The best bone marrow stromal cell for therapy is … 'yellow'Jorge S Burns
Cytotherapy 13:644-6. 2011
- Understanding tumor-stroma interplays for targeted therapies by armed mesenchymal stromal progenitors: the MesenkillersGiulia Grisendi
Am J Cancer Res 1:787-805. 2011..The recognition of these distinct stromal functions may help in planning effective and safer approaches aimed either to eradicate or to substitute TS by novel compounds and/or MSC having specific killing activities...
- Teratoma formation by human embryonic stem cells is site dependent and enhanced by the presence of MatrigelTatyana A Prokhorova
Molecular Endocrinology Laboratory KMEB, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University Hospital of Odense and Medical Biotechnology Center, University of Southern Denmark, Winsløwparken, Odense, Denmark
Stem Cells Dev 18:47-54. 2009..Also, teratoma formation can be employed to study the development defects exhibited by the chromosomally abnormal hESC lines...
- Frequent hypermethylation of DBC1 in malignant lymphoproliferative neoplasmsKirsten Grønbaek
Institute of Cancer Biology, Danish Cancer Society, Copenhagen, Denmark
Mod Pathol 21:632-8. 2008..Our data suggest that hypermethylation of the DBC1 promoter region is a frequent event during the development of lymphoproliferative malignancies, and that DBC1 hypermethylation may serve as a marker for these cancers...
- Quantitative proteomics identifies Gemin5, a scaffolding protein involved in ribonucleoprotein assembly, as a novel partner for eukaryotic initiation factor 4EIvo Fierro-Monti
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark
J Proteome Res 5:1367-78. 2006..Our results demonstrate that our quantitative proteomic strategy can be applied to the identification and quantitation of protein complex components in human cells grown under different conditions...
- Conditional immortalization of human thyroid epithelial cells: a tool for analysis of oncogene actionD Wynford-Thomas
Department of Pathology, University of Wales, College of Medicine, Health Park, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 10:5365-77. 1990....
- Thyroid epithelial cell transformation by a retroviral vector expressing SV40 large TJ S Burns
Department of Pathology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
Br J Cancer 59:755-60. 1989..The resulting phenotype provides a model of well-differentiated human thyroid cancer...
- Rat embryo fibroblasts immortalized with simian virus 40 large T antigen undergo senescence upon its inactivationE S Gonos
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, London, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 16:5127-38. 1996..Inactivation of T antigen removes this block and results in senescence of the cells. Thus, these cell lines may represent a powerful system for study of the molecular basis of entry into senescence...
- High level expression of p27(kip1) and cyclin D1 in some human breast cancer cells: inverse correlation between the expression of p27(kip1) and degree of malignancy in human breast and colorectal cancersS Fredersdorf
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Imperial College School of Medicine at St Mary s, Norfolk Place, London, W2 1PG, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:6380-5. 1997..There was also an inverse correlation between the expression of p27(kip1) and the degree of tumor malignancy in human breast and colorectal cancers, indicating that p27(kip1) may be a useful prognostic marker in these cancers...
- High level expression of differentially localized BAG-1 isoforms in some oestrogen receptor-positive human breast cancersM Brimmell
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Imperial College of Medicine, St Mary s Campus, London, UK
Br J Cancer 81:1042-51. 1999..These results demonstrate a close association between BAG-1 and functional ER expression and suggest BAG-1 may be useful as a therapeutic target or prognostic marker in breast cancer...
- Transforming growth factor-beta 1 specifically induce proteins involved in the myofibroblast contractile apparatusJohan Malmstrom
Department of Molecular Sciences, AstraZeneca R and D Lund, SE 221 87 Lund, Sweden
Mol Cell Proteomics 3:466-77. 2004..These proteins accompany the induced expression of alpha-SMA and may participate in the formation of stress fibers, cell contractility, and cell spreading characterizing the myofibroblasts phenotype...
- Adult human mesenchymal stem cell as a target for neoplastic transformationNedime Serakinci
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital of Odense, Denmark
Oncogene 23:5095-8. 2004..These data suggest that the adult hMSCs can be targets for neoplastic transformation and have implications for the development of novel anticancer therapeutics and for the use of hMSC in tissue engineering and transplantation protocols...
- Maintenance of differentiation potential of human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells immortalized by human telomerase reverse transcriptase gene despite [corrected] extensive proliferationBasem M Abdallah
Laboratory for Molecular Endocrinology, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University Hospital of Odense, Odense, Denmark
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 326:527-38. 2005....
- Tumorigenic heterogeneity in cancer stem cells evolved from long-term cultures of telomerase-immortalized human mesenchymal stem cellsJorge S Burns
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism and Institute of Pathology, Odense University Hospital, Medical Biotechnology Center, Winsløwparken 25, DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Cancer Res 65:3126-35. 2005..Thus, hMSC-TERT20 clones represent cancer stem cells with hierarchical tumorigenicity, providing new models to explore the stem cell hypothesis for cancer...
- Blood vessels engineered from human cellsMoustapha Kassem
Lancet 366:891-2; author reply 892-3. 2005
- Adult stem cells and cancerM Kassem
Cancer Res 65:9601; author reply 9601. 2005
- Sarcomas as a mise en abyme of mesenchymal stem cells: exploiting interrelationships for cell mediated anticancer therapyJorge S Burns
Laboratory of Cell Biology and Advanced Cancer Therapies, Department of Oncology, Hematology and Respiratory Disease, University Hospital of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Cancer Lett 325:1-10. 2012..Exploiting these qualities, MSC expressing modified forms of the TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (Apo2L/TRAIL) are being developed to complement more conventional radiation and chemotherapy...