Affiliation: University of Pavia
- Expert consensus for the diagnosis and treatment of cystic and alveolar echinococcosis in humansEnrico Brunetti
Division of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Pavia, IRCCS S Matteo Hospital Foundation, WHO Collaborating Center for Clinical Management of Cystic Echinococcosis, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Acta Trop 114:1-16. 2010..With this approach, the prognosis can be improved for the majority of patients with AE. The consensus of experts under the aegis of the WHO-IWGE will help promote studies that provide missing evidence to be included in the next update...
- The current role of abdominal ultrasound in the clinical management of patients with AIDSE Brunetti
Division of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, IRCCS S Matteo University of Pavia, Via Taramelli 5, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Ultraschall Med 27:20-33. 2006..With new treatments, prevalence and morbidity/mortality rates change, but new conditions and new side effects appear. US applications to these new conditions are discussed as well...
- Twenty years of percutaneous treatments for cystic echinococcosis: a preliminary assessment of their use and safetyE Brunetti
Divisione di Malattie Infettive e Tropicali, IRCCS San Matteo, University of Pavia, Italy
Parassitologia 46:367-70. 2004..Percutaneous treatments could be simplified and made more effective if a scolecidal agent could be found that melts the entire endocyst without causing harm to the biliary epithelium...
- Coarse vs. fine needle aspiration biopsy for the assessment of diffuse liver disease from hepatitis C virus-related chronic hepatitisEnrico Brunetti
Division of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, IRCSS S Matteo, University of Pavia, Via Taramelli 5, 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Hepatol 40:501-6. 2004..As fine needles (FN) do not require anaesthesia, are used over a wider range of coagulation values and allow multiple passes, we compared the diagnostic yield of FN vs. CN biopsies...
- Performance of liver stiffness measurements by transient elastography in chronic hepatitisGiovanna Ferraioli
Ultrasound Unit, Department of Infectious Diseases, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Medical School University of Pavia, 27100 Pavia, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 19:49-56. 2013..To compare results of liver stiffness measurements by transient elastography (TE) obtained in our patients population with that used in a recently published meta-analysis...
- Performance of real-time strain elastography, transient elastography, and aspartate-to-platelet ratio index in the assessment of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis CGiovanna Ferraioli
Ultrasound Unit, Infectious Diseases Department, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia, Via Taramelli 5, Pavia 27100, Italy
AJR Am J Roentgenol 199:19-25. 2012....
- Immunoblotting with human native antigen shows stage-related sensitivity in the serodiagnosis of hepatic cystic echinococcosisMara Mariconti
Policlinico San Matteo Hospital Foundation, Pavia, Italy Department of Veterinary Science and Public Health, University of Milan, Milan, Italy Department of Clinical Surgical Diagnostic and Paediatric Sciences, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Clinical Management of Cystic Echinococcosis, Pavia, Italy
Am J Trop Med Hyg 90:75-9. 2014..Further identification of different antigens expressed by different cyst stages will support the development of diagnostic tools that could early define cyst viability, to guide clinical decision making, and shorten patient follow-up...
- Cestode infestations: hydatid disease and cysticercosisEnrico Brunetti
Division of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, San Matteo Hospital Foundation, WHO Collaborating Centre for Clinical Management of Cystic Echinococcosis, University of Pavia, Pavia 27100, Italy
Infect Dis Clin North Am 26:421-35. 2012..The therapeutic approach is often complex, requiring surgery and/or chemotherapy or, in the case of cystic echinococcosis, percutaneous treatments...
- Cystic echinococcosis of the liver associated with repeated international travels to endemic areasEnrico Brunetti
Division of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, IRCCS S Mateo, Pavia University, Pavia, Italy
J Travel Med 12:225-8. 2005..We describe a case of cystic echinococcosis in a man born and living in a nonendemic urban area in North Italy that was acquired during a period of frequent travels in highly endemic countries...
- Fast relapse and high drop out rate of 48 weeks daily interferon monotherapy in HIV-infected patients with chronic hepatitis CRaffaele Bruno
Division of Infectious and Tropical Disease IRCCS San Matteo Hospital, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 2:17. 2002..In HIV patients the use of this combination therapy may induce drug interactions, and reduces the adherence to HAART. The aim of this study is to evaluate safety and efficacy of a 48 weeks daily dose IFN schedule...
- Oligohydramnios in a pregnant Pakistani woman with Plasmodium vivax malariaNicolò Binello
Division of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, San Matteo Hospital Foundation, University of Pavia, 19, V, le Golgi, Pavia 27100, Italy
Malar J 13:156. 2014..Given the long latency of hypnozoites, every febrile pregnant patient with a previous stay in an endemic area should be screened for malaria with a thick and a thin blood smear. ..
- Radiofrequency ablation of colorectal splenic metastasisAnna Marangio
Divisione di Malattie Infettive e Tropicali, IRCCS, Policlinico San Matteo, Universita di Pavia, Via Taramelli 5, 27100 Pavia, Italy
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:1481-2. 2002
- Serum cytokine profile by ELISA in patients with echinococcal cysts of the liver: a stage-specific approach to assess their biological activityLuca Piccoli
Department of Infectious Diseases, IRCCS San Matteo Hospital Foundation, University of Pavia, Pavia 27100, Italy
Clin Dev Immunol 2012:483935. 2012..Because of low sensitivity and lack of specificity of this test, we believe that other ways to evaluate ex vivo biological activity of the cysts should be explored...
- Update on cystic hydatid diseaseEnrico Brunetti
Division of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Pavia IRCCS S Matteo Hospital Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Curr Opin Infect Dis 22:497-502. 2009..We review the currently available evidence for clinical decision-making and discuss ways to improve standards of care of one of the most neglected infectious diseases...
- Management of splenic abscess: report on 16 cases from a single centerGiovanna Ferraioli
Infectious and Tropical Diseases Division, IRCCS S Matteo Foundation, University of Pavia, Via Taramelli 5, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Int J Infect Dis 13:524-30. 2009..14-0.7% in autoptic series. The best treatment option remains unclear. We report our experience of percutaneous drainage of splenic abscess under ultrasound (US) guidance...
- Failure of repeated treatment with praziquantel and arthemeter in four patients with acute schistosomiasisLiliana Praticò
Infectious Disease Department, San Matteo Hospital, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
J Travel Med 21:133-6. 2014..We report four cases of acute schistosomiasis (AS) in which several courses of combined therapy had been necessary to obtain negative serology. ..