Affiliation: University of Bologna
- Adjuvant systemic chemotherapy after putative curative resection of colorectal liver and lung metastasesGiovanni Brandi
Seragnoli Department of Hematology and Oncological Sciences, University of Bologna, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Bologna, Italy Electronic address
Clin Colorectal Cancer 12:188-94. 2013..The present study evaluated the adjuvant systemic chemotherapy after the first resection of liver and lung colorectal cancer metastases...
- Asbestos: a hidden player behind the cholangiocarcinoma increase? Findings from a case-control analysisGiovanni Brandi
Department of Experimental, Diagnostic and Specialty Medicine, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti, 9, 40138, Bologna, Italy
Cancer Causes Control 24:911-8. 2013..We conducted a case-control analysis to explore the association between occupational exposure to asbestos and cholangiocarcinoma (CC)...
- Can the tyrosine kinase inhibitors trigger metabolic encephalopathy in cirrhotic patients?Giovanni Brandi
Department of Experimental, Diagnostic and Specialty Medicine, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Liver Int 33:488-93. 2013..It shares many adverse effects with other tyrosine-kinase (TK) inhibitors and antiangiogenic drugs. TK inhibitors could have a direct toxicity on CNS, both by interfering with TK-related pathways and by inhibiting angiogenesis...
- A phase I study of continuous hepatic arterial infusion of Irinotecan in patients with locally advanced hepatocellular carcinomaGiovanni Brandi
Seràgnoli Department of Haematology and Oncological Sciences, University of Bologna, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 43:1015-21. 2011..Response rate and time-to-progression were analysed...
- Second surgery or chemotherapy for relapse after radical resection of colorectal cancer metastasesGiovanni Brandi
Department of Haematology and Oncological Sciences L e A Seragnoli, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Langenbecks Arch Surg 397:1069-77. 2012..Therefore, we retrospectively compared the clinical outcome of potentially resectable patients who received a second metastasectomy with those who did not in our single-centre experience...
- Antitumoral efficacy of the protease inhibitor gabexate mesilate in colon cancer cells harbouring KRAS, BRAF and PIK3CA mutationsGiovanni Brandi
L and A Seragnoli Department of Hematology and Oncological Sciences, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e41347. 2012..Further studies to better elucidate gabexate mesilate mechanism of action in CRC cells are therefore warranted...
- Durable complete response to frontline docetaxel in an advanced prostate cancer patient with favourable CYP1B1 isoforms: suggestion for changing paradigms?Giovanni Brandi
Institute of Haematology and Medical Oncology L e A Seragnoli, Policlinico Sant Orsola Malpighi, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, Bologna, Italy
Eur Urol 54:938-41. 2008..Prospective genetic analysis had shown that the patient had a favourable CYP1B1 genotype. He has been disease free since August 2006. Prospective trials investigating this strategy are warranted...
- Durable complete response of hepatocellular carcinoma after metronomic capecitabineGiovanni Brandi
Department of Hematology and Oncological Sciences L e A Seràgnoli, Policlinico Sant Orsola Malpighi, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Tumori 96:1028-30. 2010..Recently, various antiangiogenic targeted agents have shown promising activity at different levels of evidence in patients with advanced HCC, suggesting that such treatments might be effective...
- Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: primary liver resection and aggressive multimodal treatment of recurrence significantly prolong survivalGiorgio Ercolani
Liver and Multiorgan Transplant Unit, Department of Surgery and Transplantation, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna
Ann Surg 252:107-14. 2010..To evaluate the results of surgical therapy for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma (ICC), the incidence and the management of recurrence, and to analyze the change in approach during 2 different periods...
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of peri-operative versus post-operative chemotherapy for resectable colorectal liver metastasesGiorgio Ercolani
Liver and Multiorgan Transplant Unit, University of Bologna, Italy
Eur J Cancer 47:2291-8. 2011..The aim of the present study was to analyse life-expectancy, quality adjusted life-expectancy and cost-effectiveness of the two chemotherapeutic strategies...
- Metastatic pancreatic cancer: is gemcitabine still the best standard treatment? (Review)Mariacristina Di Marco
L e A Seràgnoli Department of Hematology and Oncological Sciences, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, I 40138 Bologna, Italy
Oncol Rep 23:1183-92. 2010..This study examines the principal clinical trials that will help give clinicians an overview of the progress made in the systemic therapy for advanced pancreatic cancer patients in recent years...
- Venous thromboembolism and port-related thrombosis in metastatic colorectal cancer patients: a monocenter experienceElisabetta Nobili
L and A Seragnoli Department of Hematology and Oncological Sciences, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 37:30-4. 2010..1% vs. 4.4 in patients who did not undergo surgery (p = 0.037). In addition, a history of VTE seems to be a supplementary risk factor for CVC-related thrombosis (p = 0.055)...
- Safety of hepatic resection for colorectal metastases in the era of neo-adjuvant chemotherapyAlessandro Cucchetti
Liver and Multiorgan Transplant Unit, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Langenbecks Arch Surg 397:397-405. 2012..The relationship between neo-adjuvant chemotherapy prior to hepatectomy in patients with resectable colorectal liver metastases and post-operative morbidity still has to be clarified...
- Unresectable perihilar cholangiocarcinoma: multimodal palliative treatmentCristina Mosconi
Radiology Unit, Department of Digestive Diseases and Internal Medicine, General Hospital Sant Orsola Malpighi, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Anticancer Res 33:2747-53. 2013..To evaluate the survival of patients with unresectable perihilar cholangiocarcinoma (PHC) treated with multimodal palliative approaches...
- To widen the setting of cancer patients who could benefit from metronomic capecitabineMargherita Nannini
Department of Hematology and Oncology Sciences LA Seragnoli, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 64:189-93. 2009..We investigated the efficacy and toxicity of metronomic capecitabine administered at a fixed dose of 1,000 mg daily in three elderly or poor performance status patients with advanced colorectal cancer (CRC) and gastric cancer...
- Neoadjuvant treatment in rectal cancer: actual statusIngrid Garajová
Department of Hematology and Oncology Sciences L A Seragnoli, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Chemother Res Pract 2011:839742. 2011..The aim of this review is to summarize actual approaches, main problems, and discrepancies in the treatment of locally advanced rectal adenocarcinomas...
- Changes in the surgical approach to hilar cholangiocarcinoma during an 18-year period in a Western single centerGiorgio Ercolani
Department of Surgery and Transplantation, Hospital Sant Orsola Malpighi, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138, Bologna, Italy
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 17:329-37. 2010..In this article, we evaluate mortality, survival, prognostic factors, and changes in surgical approach during the last two decades at a Western hepato-biliary center...
- Intestinal microflora and digestive toxicity of irinotecan in miceGiovanni Brandi
L A Seragnoli Institute of Haematology, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 12:1299-307. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the role of intestinal microflora on the induction of systemic and intestinal toxicity and diarrhea, studying germ-free and holoxenic mice i.p. injected with irinotecan...
- Urease-positive bacteria other than Helicobacter pylori in human gastric juice and mucosaGiovanni Brandi
Institute of Haematology and Medical Oncology L e A Seragnoli, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 101:1756-61. 2006..pylori infection. The aim of this study was to evaluate the presence of urease-positive bacteria other than H. pylori in gastric juice and mucosa in hypochlorhydric subjects...
- Interactions between commensal bacteria and gut sensorimotor function in health and diseaseGiovanni Barbara
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Univeristy of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 100:2560-8. 2005..The potential benefit of antibiotic and probiotic therapy is currently under investigation and opens new perspectives in irritable bowel syndrome treatment...