Affiliation: University of Padova
- Hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotypes in 373 Italian children with HCV infection: changing distribution and correlation with clinical features and outcomeF Bortolotti
Clinica Medica 5, Via Giustiniani 2, 35100 Padova, Italy
Gut 54:852-7. 2005..This retrospective, multicentre study investigated genotype distribution and correlation with clinical features and outcome in a large series of Italian children...
- Epidemiological profile of 806 Italian children with hepatitis C virus infection over a 15-year periodFlavia Bortolotti
Clinica Medica 5, Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale University Padua, Via Giustiniani 2, 35100 Padua, Italy
J Hepatol 46:783-90. 2007..To evaluate the epidemiological profile of Italian children with hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection over a 15-year period...
- Chronic hepatitis B in children after e antigen seroclearance: final report of a 29-year longitudinal studyFlavia Bortolotti
Fifth Medical Clinic, University of Padova, Italy
Hepatology 43:556-62. 2006..Long-term monitoring is important, as is counseling on cofactors of liver damage, such as alcohol and drug abuse...
- Spontaneous regression of hepatitis B virus-associated cirrhosis developed in childhoodF Bortolotti
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Clinica Medica 5, University of Padua, Policlinico, Via Giustiniani 2, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 37:964-7. 2005..Subsidence of virus replication and of necro-inflammatory process and the efficiency of liver regeneration and repair might contribute to this favourable outcome...
- Interferon treatment in children with chronic hepatitis C: long-lasting remission in responders, and risk for disease progression in non-respondersF Bortolotti
Clinica Medica 5, University, Padua, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 37:336-41. 2005..This study describes the outcome of hepatitis C in 43 children enrolled in an open-label interferon trial, and were followed up to 66 months after stopping treatment...
- Long-term course of chronic hepatitis C in children: from viral clearance to end-stage liver diseaseFlavia Bortolotti
Clinica Medica 5, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Gastroenterology 134:1900-7. 2008..The natural course of chronic hepatitis C (CHC) in children is not well understood. The aim of this study was to assess the long-term course of CHC in a large sample of otherwise healthy children...
- Treatment of chronic hepatitis B in childrenFlavia Bortolotti
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padua, Clinica Medica 5, Via Giustiniani 2, 35100 Padua, Italy
J Hepatol 39:S200-5. 2003
- Reversal of liver cirrhosis: a desirable clinical outcome and its pathogenic backgroundFlavia Bortolotti
Clinica Medica 5, University of Padua, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 44:401-6. 2007..Future prospects include the possibility of antifibrotic therapy to prevent fibrosis or favor its degradation...
- Management of chronic hepatitis C in childhood: the impact of therapy in the clinical practice during the first 2 decadesFlavia Bortolotti
University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 43:325-9. 2011..We retrospectively investigated the impact of treatment in a large cohort of children with chronic hepatitis C over the past 20 years...
- Hepatitis C virus infection associated with liver-kidney microsomal antibody type 1 (LKM1) autoantibodies in childrenFlavia Bortolotti
Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Pediatr 142:185-90. 2003..To evaluate the clinical pattern and evolution of chronic hepatitis C in children with liver/kidney microsomal antibody type 1 autoantibodies (LKM1)...
- Clinical features and progression of perinatally acquired hepatitis C virus infectionMassimo Resti
Department of Paediatrics and Paediatric Hospital A Meyer, Florence, Italy
J Med Virol 70:373-7. 2003..The chronic progression rate of infection is high, but the associated liver disease is usually mild. High ALT levels at onset seem to offer greater opportunity of biochemical remission and loss of viremia during follow-up...
- Liver steatosis in children with chronic hepatitis CMaria Guido
Department of Oncological and Surgical Sciences Pathology Section, University of Padova, Azienda Ospedaliera, Padova, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2611-5. 2006....
- An updated follow-up of chronic hepatitis C after three decades of observation in pediatric patients cured of malignancySimone Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 55:108-12. 2010..The aim of the study was to evaluate the clinical characteristics and the long-term outcome of chronic hepatitis C in a cohort of Caucasian children cured of pediatric malignancy...
- Chronic viral hepatitis in children: any role for the pathologist?Maria Guido
Department of Diagnostic Sciences and Special Therapies, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Gut 57:873-7. 2008
- Natural history of chronic hepatitis B: special emphasis on disease progression and prognostic factorsGiovanna Fattovich
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Verona, Piazzale L A Scuro, 10, Verona 37134, Italy
J Hepatol 48:335-52. 2008..There is a growing understanding of viral, host and environmental factors influencing disease progression, which ultimately could improve the management of chronic hepatitis B...
- Fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C acquired in infancy: is it only a matter of time?Maria Guido
Dipartimento di Scienze Oncologiche and Chirurgiche, Universita degli Studi di Padova, Azienda Ospedale Padova, Padova, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 98:660-3. 2003..The natural history of chronic hepatitis C acquired in infancy is not well understood. The progression of fibrosis was analyzed in untreated children with chronic hepatitis C virus infection and no other hepatotoxic cofactors...
- An epidemiological survey of hepatitis C virus infection in Italian children in the decade 1990-1999F Bortolotti
Clinica Medica 5, Via Giustiniani 2, 35100 Padua, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 32:562-6. 2001..A retrospective-prospective survey of Italian children with hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection was planned in 1998 to explore the epidemiologic features of infection during the past decade...
- Interferon treatment of chronic hepatitis C in patients cured of pediatric malignanciesS Cesaro
Clinica Oncoematologica Pediatrica, Dipartimento di Pediatria, Universita di Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128 Padua, Italy
Haematologica 85:63-6. 2000..Our purpose was to assess efficacy of and tolerance to interferon in a group of young patients who had acquired HCV infection during a period of chemotherapy...
- Treatment of chronic hepatitis C in childrenF Bortolotti
Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, Clinica Medica 5, University of Padova, Italy
J Hepatol 31:201-4. 1999..HCV genotypes 2 and 3 and low levels of viremia could be factors in the selection of candidates with greater chances of response to interferon...
- Outcome of chronic hepatitis B in Caucasian children during a 20-year observation periodF Bortolotti
Clinica Medica 5, University of Padua, Italy
J Hepatol 29:184-90. 1998..The sequence of events from paediatric infection to severe disease in adults is only partially known. The aim of this study was to evaluate the evolution of chronic hepatitis B acquired in childhood during 20 years of follow-up...
- Maternal drug use is a preeminent risk factor for mother-to-child hepatitis C virus transmission: results from a multicenter study of 1372 mother-infant pairsMassimo Resti
Pediatric Clinic III, University of Florence and Pediatric Hospital A Meyer, Via Luca Giordano 13, I 50132 Florence, Italy
J Infect Dis 185:567-72. 2002..51; 95% CI, 1.19-1.92; P =.0006), but no association was found with HIV-1 coinfection (AOR, 0.98; 95% CI, 0.73-1.33; P =.93). IDU, but not HIV-1 coinfection, seems to be a preeminent risk factor for vertical HCV transmission...
- Hepatitis B in childrenFlavia Bortolotti
Hepatology 45:831; author reply 831. 2007
- Chronic hepatitis C virus infection in childhood: clinical patterns and evolution in 224 white childrenPaloma Jara
Hospital Infantil La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 36:275-80. 2003..Conversely, the higher rates of fibrosis observed in older patients suggest the possibility of an insidious progression of HCV-associated liver disease...
- Viral hepatitis: Treating hepatitis C in children: an open horizonMaria Guido
Department of Medical Sciences and Special Therapies, Pathology Unit, University of Padova, Via Gabelli 61, Padua, Italy
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:247-8. 2011..The results of the first controlled trial with PEG-IFN-α2a plus ribavirin are a step towards an appropriate treatment for these children...
- Monitoring SCCA-IgM complexes in serum predicts liver disease progression in patients with chronic hepatitisA Biasiolo
Clinica Medica 5, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Viral Hepat 15:246-9. 2008..8 +/- 31 U/mL/year, P < 0.0001). In conclusion, monitoring SCCA-IgM levels over time appears a useful approach to identify patients with chronic hepatitis at higher risk for cirrhosis development...
- Long-term outcome of hepatitis C in childrenFlavia Bortolotti
Hepatology 39:1455; author reply 1455-6. 2004
- Hepatitis C virus infection in children coinfected with HIV: epidemiology and managementMassimo Resti
Department of Pediatrics, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Paediatr Drugs 4:571-80. 2002..At present, treating HIV disease and monitoring HCV infection and hepatotoxicity induced by antiretroviral drugs seem to be the more reasonable approach to HCV/HIV coinfection in childhood...