Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Piemonte Orientale
- Menstrual pattern and menstrual disorders among adolescents: an update of the Italian dataFranco Rigon
Department of Paediatrics, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 38:38. 2012..The aims of this study were to produce up-to-date information on the menstrual pattern of Italian girls attending secondary school, and to estimate the prevalence of menstrual cycle abnormalities in this population...
- Subclinical hypothyroidism in children: natural history and when to treatGianni Bona
Department of Health Sciences, Universita del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol 5:23-8. 2013....
- Meningococcal vaccine evolutionG Bona
Pediatric Clinic, Department of Health Sciences, University of Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Novara
J Prev Med Hyg 53:131-5. 2012..Although polysaccharide and glycoconjugate vaccines have been developed for serogroups A, C, Y and W-135, currently there are no broadly effective vaccines available for the prevention of meningococcal B disease...
- The impact of national and international guidelines on newborn care in the nurseries of Piedmont and Aosta Valley, ItalyAndrea Guala
S O C di Pediatria, Ospedale SS Pietro e Paolo, ASL 11, Borgosesia, Italy
BMC Pediatr 5:45. 2005..Care procedures for preventing neonatal diseases are carried out according to nurseries' traditions and may be not consistent with the evidence based medicine issues...
- Subclinical hypothyroidismG Bona
Department of Pediatrics, Novara, Italy
Minerva Pediatr 57:195-9. 2005
- HirsutismG Bona
Department of Pediatrics, University of Piemonte Orientale, A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Minerva Pediatr 59:289-98. 2007
- [Early diagnosis of Fabry disease in children]G Genoni
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italia
Minerva Pediatr 63:425-30. 2011..This case report aims to point out the importance of an early diagnosis in order to prevent the progression of the disease, the multiorgan failure and to improve the long-term prognosis...
- Genetic defects in GH synthesis and secretionG Bona
Clinica Pediatrica, Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche, Universita del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Corso Mazzini 18, 28100 Novara, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 151:S3-9. 2004..In this article we report current knowledge about the genetic basis of IGHD and CPHD...
- Central and peripheral activities of ghrelin, a ligand of the growth hormone secretagogue receptorG Bona
Unit of Pediatrics, Department of Medical Sciences, Piemonte Orientale University, Novara, Italy
Panminerva Med 45:197-201. 2003..Ghrelin manages the neuroendocrine and metabolic response to starvation. Taking into account its orexigenic effect, GHS analogues acting as agonists or antagonists on appetite could represent new drug intervention in eating disorders...
- [Secular trend of puberty]G Bona
Clinica Pediatrica, Universita degli Studi del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Minerva Pediatr 54:553-7. 2002..Our data clearly demonstrate a positive secular trend in pubertal development and point out the need of having updated references values of the timing of sexual maturation for the whole Italian population...
- Mechanisms of abnormal puberty in coeliac diseaseGianni Bona
Pediatric Unit, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Horm Res 57:63-5. 2002..Moreover, in CD there could be a selective malabsorption of micronutrients essential for the metabolism of carrier or receptor proteins for sex hormones...
- Functional SNPs within the intron 1 of the PROP1 gene contribute to combined growth hormone deficiency (CPHD)Michela Godi
Laboratory of Human Genetics, Department of Health Sciences, Eastern Piedmont University, 28100 Novara, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:E1791-7. 2012..Mutations within the PROP1 gene represent one of the main causes of familial combined pituitary hormone deficiency (CPHD). However, most of the cases are sporadic with an unknown genetic cause...
- Novel mutations in the GH gene (GH1) uncover putative splicing regulatory elementsDeepak Babu
Laboratory of Genetics D B, S M, I F, P M R, M G, Department of Health Sciences, University of Eastern Piedmont and Interdisciplinary Research Center of Autoimmune Diseases, and Unit of Pediatrics A P, G E W, S B, F P, G B, Department of Health Sciences, University of Eastern Piedmont, 28100 Novara, Italy
Endocrinology 155:1786-92. 2014..261 variant. Thus, our results evidenced novel putative splicing regulatory elements within exon 3, confirming the crucial role of this exon in mRNA processing. ..
- A recurrent signal peptide mutation in the growth hormone releasing hormone receptor with defective translocation to the cell surface and isolated growth hormone deficiencyMichela Godi
Laboratory of Human Genetics, Department of Medical Sciences and Interdisciplinary Research Center of Autoimmune Diseases, University of Eastern Piedmont, 28100 Novara, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:3939-47. 2009....
- Systematic review of ghrelin response to food intake in pediatric age, from neonates to adolescentsFlavia Prodam
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Health Sciences F P, A M, R R, A M, S B, M R, G B Endocrinology, Department of Translational Medicine F P, G A and Interdisciplinary Center for Obesity Study F P, S B, G B, Universita del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Novara, 28100, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99:1556-68. 2014..Some of ghrelin's changes may contribute to the regulation of food intake and weight in children. We aimed to analyze the ghrelin response to feeding in lean or obese subjects from birth to adolescence...
- A functional common polymorphism in the vitamin D-responsive element of the GH1 promoter contributes to isolated growth hormone deficiencyMara Giordano
Laboratory of Human Genetics, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Eastern Piedmont, Via Solaroli 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:1005-12. 2008..Causal mutations have been detected only in a minority of isolated GH deficiency (IGHD) patients. Idiopathic IGHD might be the result of the interaction between several low-penetrance genetic factors and the environment...
- Obestatin levels are associated with C-peptide and antiinsulin antibodies at the onset, whereas unacylated and acylated ghrelin levels are not predictive of long-term metabolic control in children with type 1 diabetesFlavia Prodam
Division of Pediatrics F P, F C, S B, S M, E P, S S, G B, Department of Health Sciences, Division of Endocrinology F P, Department of Translational Medicine, University of Piemonte Orientale, 28100 Novara, Italy and Interdisciplinary Center for Obesity Study F P, S B, G B, Interdisciplinary Research Center of Autoimmune Diseases F C, G B, and Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology, and Metabolism L T, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Torino, 10126 Torino, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99:E599-607. 2014..Contemporary regulation of acylated ghrelin (AG), unacylated ghrelin (UAG), and obestatin (OBST) remains undefined in this disease. It is unknown as to whether they could be good predictors of changes in glucose and metabolic control...
- Involvement of genes related to inflammation and cell cycle in idiopathic short statureLetizia Trovato
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Piemonte Orientale, 28100, Novara, Italy
Pituitary 16:83-90. 2013..In addition, we showed a pubertal modulation of CXCL9 levels. These data suggest that inflammatory and regulatory factors of the cell cycle may be involved in the ISS condition, introducing a new perspective to its etiology...
- Ghrelin levels are reduced in prepubertal epileptic children under treatment with carbamazepine or valproic acidFlavia Prodam
Department of Medical Science, Division of Pediatrics, University of Piemonte Orientale, A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Epilepsia 51:312-5. 2010..01). A derangement in ghrelin secretion in epilepsy during specific pharmacologic therapies and independent of weight gain could be hypothesized...
- Endocrine disorders in childhood and adolescence. Natural history of subclinical hypothyroidism in children and adolescents and potential effects of replacement therapy: a reviewAlice Monzani
Department of Health Sciences, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 168:R1-R11. 2013....
- Cut-off limits of the GH response to GHRH plus arginine test and IGF-I levels for the diagnosis of GH deficiency in late adolescents and young adultsGinevra Corneli
Endocrinology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Amedeo Avogadro University of Novara, Via Solaroli, 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 157:701-8. 2007..To define the appropriate diagnostic cut-off limits for the GH response to GHRH+arginine (ARG) test and IGF-I levels, using receiver operating characteristics (ROC) curve analysis, in late adolescents and young adults...
- Effects of growth hormone (GH) therapy withdrawal on glucose metabolism in not confirmed GH deficient adolescents at final heightFlavia Prodam
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Health Sciences, University of Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy Endocrinology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy I C O S Interdisciplinary Center for Obesity Study, Novara, Italy
PLoS ONE 9:e87157. 2014..i) to evaluate the effect on glucose metabolism of rhGH treatment and withdrawal in not confirmed GHD adolescents at the achievement of adult height; ii) to investigate the impact of GH receptor gene genomic deletion of exon 3 (d3GHR)...
- Ghrelin: a new hormone with endocrine and non-endocrine activitiesRoberto Baldelli
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Novara, University of Turin, Italy
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 2:8-14. 2004....
- High-end normal adrenocorticotropic hormone and cortisol levels are associated with specific cardiovascular risk factors in pediatric obesity: a cross-sectional studyFlavia Prodam
SCDU of Pediatrics, Department of Health Sciences, Universita del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Via Solaroli 17, Novara, 28100, Italy
BMC Med 11:44. 2013..The aim of this study was to investigate the association between morning adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) and cortisol levels and cardiovascular risk factors in overweight or obese Caucasian children and adolescents...
- Subclinical hypothyroidism in children and adolescents: a wide range of clinical, biochemical, and genetic factors involvedAnna Rapa
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Piemonte Orientale, Via Solaroli 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2414-20. 2009..The aim of the study was to examine clinical characteristics, biochemical parameters, and TSH-R gene variations in children and adolescents with subclinical hypothyroidism (SH) in order to evaluate their pattern of distribution in SH...
- Diagnosis of GH deficiency in the transition period: accuracy of insulin tolerance test and insulin-like growth factor-I measurementMohamad Maghnie
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pavia, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 152:589-96. 2005....
- A variation in a Pit-1 site in the growth hormone gene (GH1) promoter induces a differential transcriptional activityMara Giordano
Laboratorio di Genetica Umana, Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche and IRCAD, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Mol Cell Endocrinol 249:51-7. 2006..Despite the strong effect of this polymorphism in vitro, the -75G variation was not associated to an impairment of the GH secretion in vivo...
- Influence of age, gender, and glucose tolerance on fasting and fed acylated ghrelin in Prader Willi syndromeFlavia Prodam
Division of Paediatrics, Department of Medical Science, University of Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Clin Nutr 28:94-9. 2009..The cause of this increase as well as the modulation of ghrelin secretion in fasting and feeding in relation to other metabolic parameters and glucose tolerance in PWS is largely unknown...
- Pediatric obesity and vitamin D deficiency: a proteomic approach identifies multimeric adiponectin as a key link between these conditionsGillian E Walker
Laboratory of Clinical Pediatrics, Department of Health Sciences, Universita del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
PLoS ONE 9:e83685. 2014..Using a proteomic approach, multimeric adiponectin has been identified as a key plasma protein that links VDD to pediatric obesity. ..
- Isolated GHD: investigation and implication of JAK/STAT related genes before and after rhGH treatmentLetizia Trovato
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Medical Science, University A Avogadro of Piemonte Orientale, Via Solaroli 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
Pituitary 15:482-9. 2012..Mutational screening of GHR may be useful in investigating IGHD's etiology. Genes linked to inflammation suggest to evaluate cardiovascular risks also in pediatric IGHD subjects...
- Metabolic syndrome is strictly associated with parental obesity beginning from childhoodAlice Monzani
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Health Sciences, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 81:45-51. 2014..We quantified the prevalence of MetS, analysed the clustering of MetS components and described the distribution of metabolic parameters not included in MetS definition...
- Obesity and infection: two sides of one coinGiulia Genoni
SCDU of Pediatrics, Department of Health Sciences, Universita del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Via Solaroli 17, Novara, 28100, Italy
Eur J Pediatr 173:25-32. 2014..In conclusion, obesity impacts millions globally, and greater understanding of its etiology and its effects on immunity, infections, and prevention and management strategies is a key public health concern. ..
- Effect of recombinant human growth hormone (rhGH) on hemoglobin concentration in children with idiopathic growth hormone deficiency-related anemiaRoberto Miniero
Pediatric Unit, Department of Internal Medicine and Surgery, Magna Graecia University Catanzaro, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 34:407-11. 2012..In conclusion, rhGH therapy resulted in normal hemoglobin values in all children enrolled in the study. These data support the concept that the GH/IGF-1 axis promotes erythropoiesis in vivo...
- Update on age at menarche in Italy: toward the leveling off of the secular trendFranco Rigon
Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Adolesc Health 46:238-44. 2010..Recent studies suggest that the magnitude of the secular trend toward an earlier age at menarche is slackening in industrialized countries...
- Traumatic brain injury-induced hypopituitarism in adolescenceRoberto Baldelli
Unit of Pediatrics, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Pituitary 8:255-7. 2005..Therefore, the onset of TBI-induced GH deficiency in this particular phase of life should be strictly evaluated and corrected for the possible adult health consequences...
- Vitamin D status in cord blood and newborns: ethnic differencesFrancesco Cadario
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Health Sciences, University of Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 39:35. 2013..Limited data are available for the neonatal age. The aim of the study is to understand the differences in 25OHD levels with respect to skin colour and ethnicity in newborns...
- Ghrelin secretion in childhood is refractory to the inhibitory effect of feedingSimonetta Bellone
Units of Pediatrics, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Piemonte Orientale, 28100 Novara, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:1662-5. 2004..Thus, food intake inhibits ghrelin secretion in adults but not in children. Ghrelin refractoriness to inhibition by food intake in children would reflect a peculiar functional profile of the ghrelin system in childhood...
- Increased interleukin-10 in Helicobacter pylori infection could be involved in the mechanism protecting from allergyGiuseppina Oderda
Department of Pediatrics, Clinica Pediatrica, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 45:301-5. 2007..To elucidate a possible mechanism involved in protecting against the development of atopy, we measured expression of IL-10 in gastric mucosa of children with H pylori gastritis...
- Intracoronary ghrelin infusion decreases coronary blood flow in anesthetized pigsElena Grossini
Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Via Solaroli 17, I 28100 Novara, Italy
Endocrinology 148:806-12. 2007..The mechanisms of this response were shown to involve the inhibition of a vasodilatory beta(2)-adrenergic receptor-mediated effect related to the release of nitric oxide...
- Association of the (CA)n repeat polymorphism of insulin-like growth factor-I and -202 A/C IGF-binding protein-3 promoter polymorphism with adult height in patients with severe growth hormone deficiencyMaria Consolata Miletta
Paediatric Endocrinology, University Children s Hospital, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 76:683-90. 2012..In addition, the various genotypes were also studied in a healthy control group of 211 subjects...
- The natural history of euthyroid Hashimoto's thyroiditis in childrenGiorgio Radetti
Department of Pediatrics, Regional Hospital, Bolzano, Italy
J Pediatr 149:827-32. 2006..To study the natural history of Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT) in children and identify factors predictive of thyroid dysfunction...
- Thyroid autoimmunity in childhood celiac diseaseGiuseppina Oderda
Clinica Pediatrica, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 35:704-5. 2002
- A novel deletion in the GH1 gene including the IVS3 branch site responsible for autosomal dominant isolated growth hormone deficiencyDaniela Vivenza
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche, Via Solaroli 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:980-6. 2006..The majority of mutations responsible for isolated GH type II deficiency (IGHD II) lead to dominant negative deleteriously increased levels of the GH1 exon 3 skipped transcripts...
- Access to paediatric emergency departments in Italy: a comparison between immigrant and Italian patientsErica Clara Grassino
Department of Pediatrics, AOU Maggiore della Carit, University of Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 35:3. 2009..abstract:..
- Randomized trial on the safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of MenACWY-CRM, an investigational quadrivalent meningococcal glycoconjugate vaccine, administered concomitantly with a combined tetanus, reduced diphtheria, and acellular pertussis vaccine Roberto Gasparini
Department of Health Sciences, University of Genoa, Via Pastore 1, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:537-44. 2010..These results indicate that the investigational MenACWY-CRM vaccine is well tolerated and immunogenic and that it can be coadministered with Tdap to adolescents and young adults...
- Effect of different growth hormone dosages on the growth velocity in children born small for gestational ageElena Bozzola
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Horm Res 61:98-102. 2004..In conclusion, the height velocity of children born SGA significantly increases during the 1st year of GH therapy, diminishes, but can decrease during the 2nd year, if the GH dosage is not raised...
- Etiopathogenetic advances and management of holoprosencephaly: from bench to bedsideS Bellone
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Panminerva Med 52:345-54. 2010..A skill multidisciplinary approach is mandatory to offer the better clinical assistance to patients and their parents...
- Diagnostic tests for childhood Helicobacter pylori infection: invasive, noninvasive or both?Giuseppina Oderda
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 39:482-4. 2004
- Ghrelin secretion is inhibited by glucose load and insulin-induced hypoglycaemia but unaffected by glucagon and arginine in humansFabio Broglio
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University of Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 61:503-9. 2004..Whether hyperglycaemia and insulin directly inhibit ghrelin secretion still remains matter of debate. The aim of the present study was therefore to investigate further the regulatory effects of glucose and insulin on ghrelin secretion...
- Thyroid nodules and cancer in children and adolescents affected by autoimmune thyroiditisAndrea Corrias
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Regina Margherita Children s Hospital, Piazza Polonia 94, 10126 Torino, Italy
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162:526-31. 2008..To investigate the association between juvenile autoimmune thyroiditis (JAT) and thyroid cancer in pediatric patients...
- Thyrotropin receptor gene mutations and TSH resistance: variable expressivity in the heterozygotesMarta Camilot
Dipartimento Materno Infantile e di Biologia Genetica Sez Pediatrica, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 63:146-51. 2005..In this paper, we aimed to investigate the actual role of the TSHR gene in the development of both subclinical and congenital hypothyroidism...
- The nutritional control of ghrelin secretion in humans: the effects of enteral vs. parenteral nutritionFlavia Prodam
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Turin, C so Dogliotti, 14 Turin, Italy
Eur J Nutr 45:399-405. 2006....
- GHRH and GH secretagogues: clinical perspectives and safetyGianluca Aimaretti
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Turin, Italy
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 2:86-92. 2004..Previous studies with GHRH and/or GHS in aging patients provided encouraging results. However, it still remains to be definitively demonstrated that aged subjects would benefit from chronic treatment with these molecules...