Affiliation: University of Bologna
- Folate and prevention of colorectal cancer in ulcerative colitisG Biasco
Universita di Bologna, Istituto di Ematologia e Oncologia Medica L e A Seragnoli, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Via Massarenti, 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Eur J Cancer Prev 14:395-8. 2005..Folate maintains the normal DNA methylation process and steady-state levels of DNA precursors. These properties indicate that folate has potential as chemopreventive agent...
- Treatment of hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer: many doubts, some certaintiesG Biasco
L and A Seràgnoli Institute of Haematology and Medical Oncology, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Cancer Treat Rev 32:214-28. 2006..In case of relapse, another hepatectomy should be considered. The role of novel targeted therapies in pre-operative, post-operative and palliative management has yet to be evaluated...
- Impact of surgery on the development of duodenal cancer in patients with familial adenomatous polyposisG Biasco
Institute of Haemathology and Medical Oncology L and A Seràgnoli, Via Massarenti 9, 40138, Bologna, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1860-6. 2006..We proposed to determine the frequency, natural history, cumulative risk, and risk factors of the precancerous duodenal lesions in a series of patients diagnosed in northern Italy...
- Chemoprevention of colorectal cancerG Biasco
Seragnoli Institute, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Int J Biol Markers 18:75-7. 2003
- Cancer surveillance in ulcerative colitis: critical analysis of long-term prospective programmeG Biasco
Institute of Haematology and Oncology, L e A Seràgnoli and Interdipartimental Centre for Cancer Research G Prodi, University of Bologna, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 34:339-42. 2002..Patients with longstanding ulcerative colitis are at increased risk of colorectal cancer. In the literature, no agreement has yet been reached regarding prevention strategies. Our report sums up a prospective study started in 1980...
- Treatment of liver metastases from colorectal cancer: what is the best approach today?G Biasco
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L e A Seràgnoli, University of Bologna, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 33:438-44. 2001..Combined hepatic artery and systemic treatment may provide a new strategy as adjuvant therapy for patients undergoing resections...
- European trials on dietary supplementation for cancer preventionG Biasco
Istituto di Ematologia ed Oncologia Medica Ludovico e Ariosto Seràgnoli, University of Bologna, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 889:152-6. 1999..ECP in collaboration with EURONUT has also started a multinational intervention study of the effect of H. pylori eradication and/or dietary supplementation with vitamin C on intestinal metaplasia...
- Surgical debulking of gastrointestinal stromal tumors: is it a reasonable option after second-line treatment with sunitinib?M A Pantaleo
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L A Seragnoli, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40126 Bologna, Italy
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 134:625-30. 2008..Most patients have an unresectable disease and do not have any other therapeutical options except for clinical trials...
- Experimental results and related clinical implications of PET detection of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFr) in cancerM A Pantaleo
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L A Seragnoli, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Ann Oncol 20:213-26. 2009..As a consequence, various critical questions are still open, and the implications of a translation in the clinical setting for EGFr imaging in cancer patients is discussed...
- Molecular imaging and targeted therapies in oncology: new concepts in treatment response assessment. a collection of casesM A Pantaleo
University of Bologna, Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L and A Seragnoli, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, I 40138 Bologna, Italy
Int J Oncol 33:443-52. 2008....
- Circadian variations of rectal cell proliferation in patients affected by advanced colorectal cancerG Brandi
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L and A Seragnoli, pad 8, S Orsola Hospital, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Cancer Lett 208:193-6. 2004..The study of the rhythmicity of the intestinal cells may be useful to modulate the infusion of antiproliferative agents to prevent damage of the normal colorectal mucosa...
- Molecular imaging suggests efficacy of bevacizumab beyond the second line in advanced colorectal cancer patientsG Brandi
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L and A Seragnoli, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Chemotherapy 54:421-4. 2008..Molecular imaging techniques seem to be mandatory in the era of tailored therapy since it is useful to have an in vivo 'biological picture' of the neoplastic disease...
- Advances in preclinical therapeutics development using small animal imaging and molecular analyses: the gastrointestinal stromal tumors modelM A Pantaleo
Department of Hematology and Oncology Sciences L A Seragnoli, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, 40138, Bologna, Italy
Clin Exp Med 9:199-205. 2009..This approach of cancer research on GISTs is crucial and essential for innovative perspectives that could cross over to other types of cancer...
- Gene expression profiling of liver metastases from colorectal cancer as potential basis for treatment choiceM A Pantaleo
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology LA Seragnoli, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Br J Cancer 99:1729-34. 2008..Synchronous or metachronous liver metastases could be treated differently on the basis of different molecular pathways...
- Correlation between endoscopic features of gastric antrum, histology and Helicobacter pylori infection in adultsC Calabrese
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University of Bologna, Italy
Ital J Gastroenterol Hepatol 31:359-65. 1999..The present prospective study has correlated this and other endoscopic features, defined by Sydney classification of gastritis, both to Helicobacter pylori presence and histological patterns...
- Molecular determination of epidermal growth factor receptor in normal and neoplastic colorectal mucosaG Piazzi
1Centre of Applied Biomedical Research CRBA, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, Bologna 40138, Italy
Br J Cancer 95:1525-8. 2006..Phosphorylated (pY1068) EGFr detection in CRC may be a better tool than EGFr detection to select patients for targeted therapies...
- [Treatment of colorectal cancer liver metastases]E Derenzini
Istituto di Ematologia e Oncologia Medica L e A Seragnoli, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi Università di Bologna, Bologna
Minerva Med 97:107-19. 2006..Probably in the next years new targeted drugs and locoregional therapies will contribute to further improve prognosis of such patients, in a neoadjuvant, adjuvant and palliative setting...
- Molecular detection of epidermal growth factor receptor in colorectal cancer: does it still make sense?M Nannini
Department of Hematology and Oncology Sciences L A Seragnoli, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Colorectal Dis 13:542-8. 2011....
- Cell proliferation and ultrastructural changes of the duodenal mucosa of patients affected by familial adenomatous polyposisG Biasco
Istituto di Ematologia ed Oncologia Medica L A Seragnoli, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Gastroenterologia, Universita di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Hum Pathol 35:622-6. 2004..These abnormalities may be considered as intermediate biomarkers of neoplasia and potential surrogate endpoints in chemoprevention studies...
- Complete remission of primary colon cancer in a metastatic patient treated with CPT-11 plus capecitabineG Brandi
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L and A Seragnoli, Policlinico Sant Orsola Malpighi, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 19:599-602. 2004..The best treatment of patients with advanced colorectal cancer at the time of diagnosis is not well known, and the medical treatment is still unsatisfactory...
- Hypersensitivity reactions related to oxaliplatin (OHP)G Brandi
Institute of Haematology and Medical Oncology L and A Seragnoli, University of Bologna, Policlinico Sant Orsola, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Br J Cancer 89:477-81. 2003..The cumulative dose, the time of exposure to OHP and the clinical features are variable and unpredictable. The risk of developing hypersensitivity reactions in patients treated with a short infusion of OHP cannot be underestimated...
- Targeted therapy in colorectal cancer: do we know enough?M A Pantaleo
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L A Seragnoli, University of Bologna, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Via Massarenti 9, Bologna 40138, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 38:71-7. 2006..Moreover, the efficacy does not show any correlation with the molecular expressions of the tumours. In this review, we considered different hypotheses in order to explain these results...
- Targeted therapies in solid tumours: results and promisesM A Pantaleo
L and A Seragnoli, Institute of Medical Hematology and Oncology, S Orsola Malpighi Polyclinic, Bologna, Italy
Minerva Med 98:603-23. 2007..A selection of patients who could have beneficial effects from the novel agents is mandatory to avoid inappropriate therapies and also unjustified expenses...
- Mutagenic and clastogenic activity of gastric juice in human gastric diseasesP Hrelia
Dipartimento di Farmacologia, Universita degli Studi di Bologna, Via Irnerio 48, 40126, Bologna, Italy
Mutat Res 514:125-32. 2002..13 versus 0.38+/-0.51; P<0.001). These findings expand our knowledge of gastric disease risk factors, and indicate that there may well be a risk of mucosal DNA damage arising from the presence of mutagenic and CF in the gastric juice...
- Port-a-Cath-related complications in 252 patients with solid tissue tumours and the first report of heparin-induced delayed hypersensitivity after Port-a-Cath heparinisationI Garajova
L and A Seragnoli Department of Hematology and Oncological Sciences, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 22:125-32. 2013..We are first to describe heparin-induced delayed hypersensitivity after heparinisation of Port-a-Cath. This fact should influence the preference to keep the Port-a-Cath after completion of adjuvant anticancer treatment...
- Conventional and novel PET tracers for imaging in oncology in the era of molecular therapyM A Pantaleo
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L and A Seragnoli, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Cancer Treat Rev 34:103-21. 2008..The aim of this review is to analyze the current role of conventional and innovative positron emission tomography (PET) radiotracers in clinical practice and to explore the promising perspectives of molecular imaging in cancer research...
- Pantoprazole, azithromycin and tinidazole: short duration triple therapy for eradication of Helicobacter pylori infectionC Calabrese
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University of Bologna, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 14:1613-7. 2000..Azithromycin is an acid-stable macrolide that achieves remarkably high concentrations in gastric tissue, persisting above the MIC90 for Helicobacter pylori over a period of 5-days, after a single 500 mg oral dose...
- Cold single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis: optimization for detection of APC gene mutations in patients with familial adenomatous polyposisP Strippoli
Institute of Histology and Embryology, University of Bologna, I-40138 Bologna, Italy
Int J Mol Med 8:567-72. 2001..This modified cold-SSCP method provides a simple and effective way for detecting several known Apc gene mutations without any loss of sensitivity and could be useful for large-scale molecular diagnosis of FAP...
- Bacteria in biopsies of human hypochlorhydric stomach: a scanning electron microscopy studyG Brandi
Istituto di Clinica Medica e Gastroenterologia, Policlinico S Orsola, Bologna, Italy
Ultrastruct Pathol 20:203-9. 1996..In such areas, mechanical and biochemical damage may occur...
- Concurrent EGFr and Cox-2 expression in colorectal cancer: proliferation impact and tumour spreadingC Ceccarelli
Centre of Applied Biomedical Research CRBA, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Italy
Ann Oncol 16:iv74-79. 2005..At least three molecular pathways (EGFr, Cox-2, and APC/beta-catenin molecular cascade) may interact in this malignancy giving rise to cross talking effects on proliferation and cancer spreading...
- Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric function in patients with fundic atrophic gastritisA Tucci
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Hospital S. Orsola-Malpighi, University of Bologna, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 46:1573-83. 2001..Our data suggest that fundic atrophic gastritis represents a possible end stage of H. pylori infection, characterized by a progressive disappearance of the bacterium and a progressive deterioration of gastric functions...
- Cancer of the appendix in long-standing ulcerative colitis: a case reportU Zannoni
Istituto di Ematologia e Oncologia Medica L. e A. Seragnoli, Bologna, Italy
Tumori 83:958-9. 1997..These findings suggest that appendiceal cancer and UC may be unrelated diseases. A surveillance program for early detection of cancer of the appendix in patients with long-standing UC does not seem mandatory...
- PET detection of epidermal growth factor receptor in colorectal cancer: a real predictor of response to cetuximab treatment?M A Pantaleo
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 34:1510-1. 2007
- The role of cetuximab in pre-treated refractory patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: outcome study in clinical practiceG Lelli
Oncology Units of S Anna Hospital, Ferrara, Italy
J Chemother 20:374-9. 2008..0001, p<0.0001, p=0.006). According to multivariate analysis, the absence of weight loss was related to longer TTP (HR 0.331, p=0.004) and OS (HR 0.176, p<0.0001), and EGFR over-expression (3+) to longer TTP (HR 0.402, p=0.020)...
- Slow evolution of liver metastasis from colon cancerG Biasco
Dig Liver Dis 37:628-9. 2005
- Risk of duodenal cancer in patients with familial adenomatous polyposisG Biasco
Gut 53:1547; author reply 1547. 2004