Affiliation: University of Milan
- Experience-dependent reactivation of ocular dominance plasticity in the adult visual cortexLaura Baroncelli
CNR Neuroscience Institute, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56100, Pisa, Italy
Exp Neurol 226:100-9. 2010..The non-invasive nature of EE makes this paradigm particularly eligible for clinical application...
- Visual depth perception in normal and deprived rats: effects of environmental enrichmentL Baroncelli
Institute of Neuroscience, CNR, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56124 Pisa, Italy
Neuroscience 236:313-9. 2013..Our results encourage efforts in the clinical application of paradigms based on EE as an intervention strategy for treating amblyopia in adulthood...
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) mediates the effects of enriched environment (EE) on visual cortical developmentFrancesca Ciucci
Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
PLoS ONE 2:e475. 2007..This suggests that IGF-1 action in mediating EE effects could be exerted through the modulation of intracortical inhibitory circuitry and PNN development...
- Enriched early life experiences reduce adult anxiety-like behavior in rats: a role for insulin-like growth factor 1Sara Baldini
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 33:11715-23. 2013..These results suggest that IGF-1 could be involved in mediating the long-lasting effects of early life experiences on vulnerability/resilience to stress in adults. ..
- Food restriction enhances visual cortex plasticity in adulthoodMaria Spolidoro
Institute of Neuroscience, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56100 Pisa, Italy
Nat Commun 2:320. 2011..Our results suggest that food restriction could be investigated as a potential way of modulating plasticity...
- A rich environmental experience reactivates visual cortex plasticity in aged ratsManuela Scali
CNR Neuroscience Institute, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56124, Pisa, Italy
Exp Gerontol 47:337-41. 2012..A marked reduction in intracortical GABAergic inhibition and a remodeling of extracellular matrix accompany this effect. The non-invasive nature of EE makes this paradigm eligible for human application...
- Brain plasticity and disease: a matter of inhibitionLaura Baroncelli
National Research Council CNR, Neuroscience Institute, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56124 Pisa, Italy
Neural Plast 2011:286073. 2011..This paper summarizes recent findings showing that the inhibition-excitation balance controls adult brain plasticity and is at the core of the pathogenesis of neurodevelopmental disorders like autism, Down syndrome, and Rett syndrome...
- Massage accelerates brain development and the maturation of visual functionAndrea Guzzetta
Department of Developmental Neuroscience, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Stella Maris, I 56128 Calambrone, Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 29:6042-51. 2009..These results demonstrate that massage has an influence on brain development and in particular on visual development and suggest that its effects are mediated by specific endogenous factors such as IGF-1...
- New perspectives in amblyopia therapy on adults: a critical role for the excitatory/inhibitory balanceLaura Baroncelli
Institute of Neuroscience, National Research Council Pisa, Italy
Front Cell Neurosci 5:25. 2011..These studies point toward the intracortical inhibitory transmission as a crucial brake for therapeutic rehabilitation and recovery from amblyopia in the adult brain...