Affiliation: University of Palermo
- Prothrombotic gene variants as risk factors of acute myocardial infarction in young womenRossella Tomaiuolo
CEINGE Biotecnologie Avanzate, Via Gaetano Salvatore 486, Naples, 80145, Italy
J Transl Med 10:235. 2012..Acute myocardial infarction (AMI) in young women represent an extreme phenotype associated with a higher mortality compared with similarly aged men. Prothrombotic gene variants could play a role as risk factors for AMI at young age...
- Ezetimibe/simvastatin 10/20 mg versus rosuvastatin 10 mg in high-risk hypercholesterolemic patients stratified by prior statin treatment potencyMargus Viigimaa
Tallinn University of Technology, Technomedicum, Ehitajate St, 5, 19086 Tallinn, Estonia
Lipids Health Dis 9:127. 2010..This post-hoc analysis compared the lipid-altering efficacy of Ezetimibe/Simvastatin 10/20 mg (EZ/Simva) versus Rosuvastatin 10 mg (Rosuva) in patients stratified by statin potency/dose prior to randomization...
- Lipid-altering efficacy of switching to ezetimibe/simvastatin 10/20 mg versus rosuvastatin 10 mg in high-risk patients with and without metabolic syndromeMaurizio Averna
Professor of Internal Medicine, Department of Clinical Medicine and Emerging Diseases, University of Palermo Medical School, Palermo, Italy
Diab Vasc Dis Res 8:262-70. 2011..In this post-hoc analysis of high-risk hypercholesterolaemic patients the lipid-reducing effects of ezetimibe/simvastatin or rosuvastatin were not altered significantly by the presence of MetS...
- Ezetimibe/simvastatin 10/20 mg versus simvastatin 40 mg in coronary heart disease patientsMaurizio Averna
Department of Clinical Medicine and Emerging Diseases, Policlinico Paolo Giaccone, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
J Clin Lipidol 4:272-8. 2010..Reducing low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) is the primary goal of therapy in patients with hypercholesterolemia and coronary heart disease (CHD)...
- Clinical, pathologic, and genetic features of massive soft tissue neurofibromas in a Sicilian patientMaria Rita Bongiorno
Department of Dermatology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Dermatol Ther 21:S21-5. 2008..Among these we identified two heterozygous frameshift mutations in exon 19 (c.2480delA) and a novel mutation in exon 21 (c.2632delC). Ten novel nonsynonymous missense variations were also identified in this patient...
- Clinical utility of novel biomarkers for cardiovascular disease risk stratificationMaurizio Averna
Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Specialties DIMIS, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 7:263-70. 2012..Only few of them had a significant improvement over the predictive models. In this paper, the most investigated biomarkers will be discussed and the evidence of their use as predictors of CV will be questioned...
- Plasma non-cholesterol sterols: a useful diagnostic tool in pediatric hypercholesterolemiaDavide Noto
Department of Clinical Medicine and Emerging Diseases, University of Palermo, Palermo I90127, Italy
Pediatr Res 67:200-4. 2010..NCS improve the detection of ADH in pediatric patients, whereas FCHL diagnosis is not improved...
- Familial hypobetalipoproteinemia due to apolipoprotein B R463W mutation causes intestinal fat accumulation and low postprandial lipemiaDavide Noto
Department of Clinical Medicine and Emerging Diseases, University of Palermo, Italy
Atherosclerosis 206:193-8. 2009....
- Association between HFE mutations and acute myocardial infarction: a study in patients from Northern and Southern ItalyGiuseppina Candore
Gruppo di Studio sull Immunosenescenza, Dipartimento di Biopatologia e Metodologie Biomediche, Universita di Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Blood Cells Mol Dis 31:57-62. 2003..Thus, our study, performed in two samples of genetically homogeneous patients and controls, does not support the suggestion that HFE mutations may be associated with acute myocardial infarction in susceptible individuals...
- Differential apolipoprotein(a) isoform expression in heterozygosity is an independent contributor to lipoprotein(a) levels variabilityDavide Noto
Department of Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Clin Chim Acta 328:91-7. 2003..Lipoprotein(a) levels, apolipoprotein(a) isoforms identification and expression, and the correlation with other lipo-apolipoprotein parameters have been investigated in 628 subjects >18 years of age...