- Early occurrence of obstructive sleep apnea in infants and children with cystic fibrosisLucia Spicuzza
Bronchopneumology Unit, Department of Pediatrics, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 166:1165-9. 2012..To assess the occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing, hypoxemia, and sleep architecture in a cohort of infants and children with cystic fibrosis (CF) and normal or mildly impaired lung function in stable clinical condition...
- Mild cystic fibrosis in patients with the rare P5L CFTR mutationLucia Spicuzza
Department of Pediatrics, Bronchopneumology Unit, University of Catania, Italy
J Cyst Fibros 11:30-3. 2012....
- Effect of treatment with nasal continuous positive airway pressure on ventilatory response to hypoxia and hypercapnia in patients with sleep apnea syndromeLucia Spicuzza
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Medicina Specialistica, Sezione di Malattie Respiratorie, Universita di Catania, Catania, Italy
Chest 130:774-9. 2006..Nasal CPAP (nCPAP) is an effective treatment for OSA, but little is known on its effect on chemoreflex sensitivity...
- Adenosine in the airways: implications and applicationsLucia Spicuzza
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Medicina Specialistica Sezione Malattie Respiratorie Università di Catania, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 533:77-88. 2006....
- New and emerging infectious diseasesLucia Spicuzza
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Medicina Specialistica, Sezione Malattie Respiratorie, Universita di Catania, Italy
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:28-34. 2007..As for SARS, the World Health Organization has adopted a global action plan to control avian influenza among chickens and ducks and at the same time to limit the threat of a human flu pandemic...
- Emerging pathogens in cystic fibrosis: ten years of follow-up in a cohort of patientsL Spicuzza
Dipartimento di Pediatria, UO Broncopneumologia, Via Santa Sofia 78, 95123, Catania, Italy
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:191-5. 2009..maltophilia and A. xylosoxidans...
- Pediatric sleep apnea: early onset of the 'syndrome'?Lucia Spicuzza
Department of Pediatrics, Bronchopneumology O U, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Sleep Med Rev 13:111-22. 2009..The aim of this review is to outline early systemic complications of obstructive sleep apnea and primary snoring in infants and children...
- Research applications and implications of adenosine in diseased airwaysLucia Spicuzza
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialistica, Ospedale Tomaselli, Universita di Catania, Via Passo Gravina, 187, 95125 Catania, Italy
Trends Pharmacol Sci 24:409-13. 2003....
- Interaction between central-peripheral chemoreflexes and cerebro-cardiovascular controlLucia Spicuzza
Dept of Internal Medicine, University of Catania, Italy
Clin Auton Res 15:373-81. 2005..Increased sympathetic activity (and reduced baroreflex sensitivity) is one of the mechanisms by which hypoxia stimulates cardiac sympathetic activity...
- Airway responsiveness to adenosine after a single dose of fluticasone propionate discriminates asthma from COPDLucia Spicuzza
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialistica, Sez Malattie Apparato Respiratorio, Universita di Catania, Catania, Italy
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 27:70-5. 2014..Regular treatment with inhaled corticosteroids (ICS) is known to reduce airway hyperresponsiveness (AHR) to adenosine 5'-monophosphate (AMP) in asthma even after a single dose of fluticasone propionate (FP)...
- Effect of acute exacerbations on circulating endothelial, clotting and fibrinolytic markers in COPD patientsRiccardo Polosa
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialistica, Universita di Catania, Catania, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 8:567-74. 2013..The pro-thrombotic nature of COPD exacerbations sustained by enhanced clotting activation appears to be mitigated by excessive fibrinolysis. ..
- Granuloma annulare as first clinical manifestation of diabetes mellitus in children: a case reportLucia Spicuzza
Department of Pediatrics, University of Catania, Italy
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 95:e55-7. 2012..However in childhood this relationship remains unclear. We report the case of an 8-year-old girl, with multiple granuloma annulare as first clinical manifestation of type one diabetes mellitus...
- Changes in sputum counts and airway hyperresponsiveness after budesonide: monitoring anti-inflammatory response on the basis of surrogate markers of airway inflammationGaetano Prosperini
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialistica, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:855-61. 2002..In addition, detailed longitudinal assessment of changes in airway response with inhaled GCSs has never been carried out...
- The role of adenosine as a novel bronchoprovocant in asthmaLucia Spicuzza
Department of Internal and Specialist Medicine, University of Catania, Italy
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 3:65-9. 2003..Here the authors review the most recent development in this area of rapidly evolving clinical research, focusing on the putative role of adenosine as a useful bronchoprovocant in asthma...
- Lung abscess in a child with Mycoplasma pneumoniae infectionSalvatore Leonardi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Catania, Via S Sofia 78, Catania, Italy
Eur J Pediatr 169:1413-5. 2010..A long-term treatment with oral macrolide allows a prompt recovery and restitution ad integrum of the lung...
- IgE values and T-lymphocyte subsets in children with atopic eczema/dermatitis syndromeSalvatore Leonardi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:529-34. 2007..A decrease of CD8+ circulating T cells and an increase of the CD4/CD8 ratio are peculiar findings in AEDS patients with either high or normal IgE values...
- Autonomic modulation of heart rate during obstructive versus central apneas in patients with sleep-disordered breathingLucia Spicuzza
Istituto di Malattie Respiratorie, Via Passo Gravina 187, 95125 Catania, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:902-10. 2003..0001), whereas the LF component remained unchanged. These results show markedly different autonomic alterations during and after OA versus CA, suggesting a surge in sympathetic modulation after the obstructive episodes...
- Rapid effect of inhaled fluticasone on airway responsiveness to AMP: research implicationsGaetano Prosperini
J Allergy Clin Immunol 111:1416; author reply 1416-7. 2003
- Exercise-induced asthma and plasma adenosine: Is there a causative link?Lucia Spicuzza
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:537; author reply 537-8. 2002
- Salmeterol/fluticasone propionate in a Single Inhaler Device versus theophylline+fluticasone propionate in patients with COPDMario Cazzola
Respiratory Medicine and Allergology Unit, A Cardarelli Hospital, Via del Parco Margherita 24, 80121 Naples, Italy
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 17:141-5. 2004....
- Endothelial-coagulative activation during chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbationsRiccardo Polosa
Haematologica 93:1275-6. 2008
- Ventilation, autonomic function, sleep and erythropoietin. Chronic mountain sickness of Andean nativesLuciano Bernardi
Clinica Medica 2, IRCCS S Matteo, University of Pavia, Italy
Adv Exp Med Biol 543:161-75. 2003..Improving oxygenation can represent a possible therapeutic option for this syndrome...
- Comparative effects of a two-week treatment with nebivolol and nifedipine in hypertensive patients suffering from COPDMario Cazzola
Unit of Pneumology and Allergology, Department of Pneumology, A Cardarelli Hospital, Naples, Italy
Respiration 71:159-64. 2004....
- Slow breathing increases arterial baroreflex sensitivity in patients with chronic heart failureLuciano Bernardi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pavia and IRCCS Ospedale S Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Circulation 105:143-5. 2002..It is well established that a depressed baroreflex sensitivity may adversely influence the prognosis in patients with chronic heart failure (CHF) and in those with previous myocardial infarction...