Affiliation: Second University of Naples
- Oxidative stress in viral and alcoholic hepatitisCarmela Loguercio
Gastroenterology School, 2nd University of Naples, and Inter University Research Center of Alimentary Intake, Nutrition and Digestive Tract CIRANAD, Naples, Italy
Free Radic Biol Med 34:1-10. 2003..quot; By enhancing the antioxidant ability of hepatocytes, through transgene vectors, one could counteract oxidative/nitrosative stress and, in this way, contribute to blocking the progression of liver disease...
- Emerging drugs for non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseAlessandro Federico
Via Alcide De Gasperi 80, 84018 Scafati SA, Italy
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 13:145-58. 2008..This last form may evolve to cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Coeliac disease and C virus-related chronic hepatitis: a non associationAntonietta Gerarda Gravina
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Surgery F Magrassi e A Lanzara Hepato Gastroenterology Division and C I R A N A D, Second University of Naples, Via Pansini 5, Naples 80131, Italy
BMC Res Notes 5:533. 2012....
- Focus on irritable bowel syndromeA Scalera
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Naples, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 16:1155-71. 2012..Many studies have shown that inflammation and immune dysregulation affect the sensitivity of nerve fibers so it is vital to build on this argument for the development of effective therapies to control the symptoms of this syndrome...
- Silybin combined with phosphatidylcholine and vitamin E in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a randomized controlled trialCarmela Loguercio
Department F Magrassi e A Lanzara, Second University of Naples, 80131 Napoli, Italy
Free Radic Biol Med 52:1658-65. 2012..Treatment with RA but not P for 12 months was associated with improvement in liver enzymes, insulin resistance, and liver histology, without increases in body weight. These findings warrant further investigation...
- Management of chronic liver disease by general practitioners in southern Italy: unmet educational needsCarmela Loguercio
Interuniversity Center for Research on Food, Nutrition and Digestive Tract, Gastroenterology School Second University, Naples, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 43:736-41. 2011..Despite chronic liver diseases represent an important cause of illness in Italy, data from family practice are poor...
- Alcoholic beverages and gastric epithelial cell viability: effect on oxidative stress-induced damageC Loguercio
Centro Interuniversitario di Ricerca su Alimenti, Nutrizione e Apparato Digerente Dipartimento Medico Chirurgico di Internistica Clinica e Sperimentale F Magrassi e A Lanzara, Seconda Universita di Napoli, Italia
J Physiol Pharmacol 60:87-92. 2009....
- Silybin and the liver: from basic research to clinical practiceCarmela Loguercio
Gastroenterology School Interuniversity Research Centre on Foods, Nutrition and Gastrointestinal Tract CIRANAD, 2nd University of Naples, 80131 Naples, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 17:2288-301. 2011..On the basis of literature data, silybin seems a promising drug for chronic liver disease...
- Beneficial effects of a probiotic VSL#3 on parameters of liver dysfunction in chronic liver diseasesCarmela Loguercio
Department of Internistica Clinica e Sperimentale F Magrassi e A Lanzara, Inter University Research Center on Foods, Nutrition, and Gastrointestinal Tract CIRANAD, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:540-3. 2005..To evaluate whether chronic therapy with probiotics affects plasma levels of cytokines and oxidative/nitrosative stress parameters, as well as liver damage, in patients with various types of chronic liver disease...
- Glutathione supplementation improves oxidative damage in experimental colitisC Loguercio
Gastroenterology Unit, School of Medicine, 2nd University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 35:635-41. 2003..The pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease is due, in part, to enhanced free-radical production and reduced antioxidant potential in mucosa cells...
- The effect of a silybin-vitamin e-phospholipid complex on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a pilot studyCarmela Loguercio
Interuniversity Research Center on Foods, Nutrition and Gastrointestinal Tract CIRANAD, Unit of Gastroenterology, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 52:2387-95. 2007..Our data suggest that silybin conjugated with vitamin E and phospholipids could be used as a complementary approach to the treatment of patients with chronic liver damage...
- Chronic inflammation and oxidative stress in human carcinogenesisAlessandro Federico
Division of Gastroenterology, F Magrassi and A Lanzara Medical Surgical Department, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Int J Cancer 121:2381-6. 2007..This review focalizes some of these intricate events by discussing the relationships occurring among oxidative/nitrosative/metabolic stress, inflammation and cancer...
- The impact of diet on liver fibrosis and on response to interferon therapy in patients with HCV-related chronic hepatitisCarmela Loguercio
Department of Internal Medicine and Hepatogastroenterology, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 103:3159-66. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate whether dietary composition affects the severity of liver damage and response to therapy in patients with HCV-related chronic hepatitis...
- Intestinal permeability in patients with chronic liver diseases: Its relationship with the aetiology and the entity of liver damageRita Cariello
Department of Experimental Medicine, Second University of Naples, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 42:200-4. 2010..Alteration in intestinal permeability may be an important factor in the pathogenesis of both the progression of some chronic liver diseases and the onset of some complications in patients with liver cirrhosis...
- Heat shock protein 27 expression in patients with chronic liver damageAlessandro Federico
Centro Interuniversitario per Ricerche su Alimenti, Nutrizione e Apparato Digerente CIRANAD, Cattedra di Gastroenterologia, II Universita di Napoli, Via Pansini 5, Napoli, Italy
Immunobiology 209:729-35. 2005..The present data are the first showing that, particularly in conditions of enhanced oxidative stress, lymphomonocytes from liver disease patients present an increased expression of HSP27...
- Nutritional supplementation with branched-chain amino acids in advanced cirrhosis: a double-blind, randomized trialGiulio Marchesini
Department of Internal Medicine, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Gastroenterology 124:1792-801. 2003..The role of oral supplementation with branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) in advanced cirrhosis is far from settled. A nutritional approach might prevent progressive liver failure and improve nutritional parameters and quality of life...
- Gut-liver axis: a new point of attack to treat chronic liver damage?Carmela Loguercio
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2144-6. 2002