Affiliation: Second University of Naples
- Platelet aggregation is affected by nitrosothiols in patients with chronic hepatitis: in vivo and in vitro studiesA Federico
Inter University Research Centre on Foods, Nutrition and Gastrointestinal Tract, Gastroenterology School, 2nd University of Naples, Via Alcide De Gasperi 80, 84018 Scafati, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 13:3677-83. 2007....
- Treatment of patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: current views and perspectivesA Federico
2nd University of Naples, Gastroenterology Unit, Via Pansini 5, Naples 80131, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 38:789-801. 2006....
- Chronic inflammation and oxidative stress in human carcinogenesisAlessandro Federico
Division of Gastroenterology, F Magrassi and A Lanzara Medical Surgical Department, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Int J Cancer 121:2381-6. 2007..This review focalizes some of these intricate events by discussing the relationships occurring among oxidative/nitrosative/metabolic stress, inflammation and cancer...
- Heat shock protein 27 expression in patients with chronic liver damageAlessandro Federico
Centro Interuniversitario per Ricerche su Alimenti, Nutrizione e Apparato Digerente CIRANAD, Cattedra di Gastroenterologia, II Universita di Napoli, Via Pansini 5, Napoli, Italy
Immunobiology 209:729-35. 2005..The present data are the first showing that, particularly in conditions of enhanced oxidative stress, lymphomonocytes from liver disease patients present an increased expression of HSP27...
- Emerging drugs for non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseAlessandro Federico
Via Alcide De Gasperi 80, 84018 Scafati SA, Italy
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 13:145-58. 2008..This last form may evolve to cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma...
- The effect of a new symbiotic formulation on plasma levels and peripheral blood mononuclear cell expression of some pro-inflammatory cytokines in patients with ulcerative colitis: a pilot studyA Federico
Division of Gastroenterology, 2nd University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 13:285-93. 2009..During intestinal inflammation white blood cells are recruited from the blood, and they represent the major contributors to tissue perpetuation of inflammation via their production of chemokines and proinflammatory cytokines...
- Beneficial effects of a probiotic VSL#3 on parameters of liver dysfunction in chronic liver diseasesCarmela Loguercio
Department of Internistica Clinica e Sperimentale F Magrassi e A Lanzara, Inter University Research Center on Foods, Nutrition, and Gastrointestinal Tract CIRANAD, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:540-3. 2005..To evaluate whether chronic therapy with probiotics affects plasma levels of cytokines and oxidative/nitrosative stress parameters, as well as liver damage, in patients with various types of chronic liver disease...
- Symbiotic formulation in experimentally induced liver fibrosis in rats: intestinal microbiota as a key point to treat liver damage?Giuseppe D'Argenio
Gastroenterologia, Universita Federico II, Napoli, Italy
Liver Int 33:687-97. 2013..The aim of our research was the detection and evaluation of the effects of chronic treatment with a symbiotic formulation on CCl4 -induced rat liver fibrosis...
- Coeliac disease and C virus-related chronic hepatitis: a non associationAntonietta Gerarda Gravina
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Surgery F Magrassi e A Lanzara Hepato Gastroenterology Division and C I R A N A D, Second University of Naples, Via Pansini 5, Naples 80131, Italy
BMC Res Notes 5:533. 2012....
- Efficacy of 5-day levofloxacin-containing concomitant therapy in eradication of Helicobacter pylori infectionAlessandro Federico
Dipartimento Medico Chirurgico di Internistica Clinica e Sperimentale ed UOC di Gastroenterologia e, Napoli, Italy
Gastroenterology 143:55-61.e1; quize e13-4. 2012....
- The effect of a silybin-vitamin e-phospholipid complex on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a pilot studyCarmela Loguercio
Interuniversity Research Center on Foods, Nutrition and Gastrointestinal Tract CIRANAD, Unit of Gastroenterology, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 52:2387-95. 2007..Our data suggest that silybin conjugated with vitamin E and phospholipids could be used as a complementary approach to the treatment of patients with chronic liver damage...
- Intestinal permeability in patients with chronic liver diseases: Its relationship with the aetiology and the entity of liver damageRita Cariello
Department of Experimental Medicine, Second University of Naples, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 42:200-4. 2010..Alteration in intestinal permeability may be an important factor in the pathogenesis of both the progression of some chronic liver diseases and the onset of some complications in patients with liver cirrhosis...
- Ultrasound-guided percutaneous biopsy for diagnosis of gastrointestinal lesionsIlario de Sio
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine Magrassi Lanzara, Gastroenterology Unit, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy Electronic address
Dig Liver Dis 45:816-9. 2013..Endoscopical examination is not always sufficient for the diagnosis of gastrointestinal masses. This study assessed the diagnostic accuracy and safety of ultrasound-guided percutaneous biopsy of gastrointestinal lesions...
- Eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection: which regimen first?Alessandro Federico
Alessandro Federico, Antonietta Gerarda Gravina, Agnese Miranda, Carmela Loguercio, Marco Romano, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Gastroenterology Unit, Second University of Naples, 80131 Naples, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 20:665-72. 2014..A first-line eradication regimen should be based on what works best in a defined geographical area and must take into account the prevalence of antimicrobial resistance in that region. ..
- Silybin combined with phosphatidylcholine and vitamin E in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a randomized controlled trialCarmela Loguercio
Department F Magrassi e A Lanzara, Second University of Naples, 80131 Napoli, Italy
Free Radic Biol Med 52:1658-65. 2012..Treatment with RA but not P for 12 months was associated with improvement in liver enzymes, insulin resistance, and liver histology, without increases in body weight. These findings warrant further investigation...
- Oxidative stress in viral and alcoholic hepatitisCarmela Loguercio
Gastroenterology School, 2nd University of Naples, and Inter University Research Center of Alimentary Intake, Nutrition and Digestive Tract CIRANAD, Naples, Italy
Free Radic Biol Med 34:1-10. 2003..By enhancing the antioxidant ability of hepatocytes, through transgene vectors, one could counteract oxidative/nitrosative stress and, in this way, contribute to blocking the progression of liver disease...
- The impact of diet on liver fibrosis and on response to interferon therapy in patients with HCV-related chronic hepatitisCarmela Loguercio
Department of Internal Medicine and Hepatogastroenterology, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 103:3159-66. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate whether dietary composition affects the severity of liver damage and response to therapy in patients with HCV-related chronic hepatitis...
- [Effects of a new pharmacological complex (silybin + vitamin-E + phospholipids) on some markers of the metabolic syndrome and of liver fibrosis in patients with hepatic steatosis. Preliminary study]M Trappoliere
Interuniversity Research Center on Foods Nutrition and Gastrointestinal Tract CIRANAD, Unit of Gastroenterology, 2nd University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol 51:193-9. 2005....
- Alcoholic beverages and gastric epithelial cell viability: effect on oxidative stress-induced damageC Loguercio
Centro Interuniversitario di Ricerca su Alimenti, Nutrizione e Apparato Digerente Dipartimento Medico Chirurgico di Internistica Clinica e Sperimentale F Magrassi e A Lanzara, Seconda Universita di Napoli, Italia
J Physiol Pharmacol 60:87-92. 2009..Pre-treatment with red wine, but not with dealcoholate red wine, significantly and time-dependently prevented oxidative stress-induced cell damage...
- Non alcoholic fatty liver: epidemiology and natural historyMario Masarone
Via Alessandro Manzoni 26b, 80123, Naples, Italy
Rev Recent Clin Trials 9:126-33. 2014..In this review we will report on the global and regional prevalence of NAFLD, the principal risk factors and the natural history of its different presentations. ..
- Serum oxidative stress markers and lipidomic profile to detect NASH patients responsive to an antioxidant treatment: a pilot studyPaola Stiuso
Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics and General Pathology, Second University of Naples, Via De Crecchio 7, 80138 Naples, Italy
Oxid Med Cell Longev 2014:169216. 2014..Conclusion. These data suggest that lipidomic and/or oxidative status of serum from patients with NASH could be useful as prognostic markers of response to an antioxidant treatment...
- Herbal products: benefits, limits, and applications in chronic liver diseaseAnna Del Prete
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Interuniversity Research Centre on Food, Nutrition and the Gastrointestinal Tract CIRANAD, 2nd University of Naples, 80131 Naples, Italy
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012:837939. 2012....
- Empirical levofloxacin-containing versus clarithromycin-containing sequential therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a randomised trialMarco Romano
Dipartimento Medico, AziendaOspedaliera Universitaria, Seconda Universita di Napoli, Napoli, Italy
Gut 59:1465-70. 2010....
- Fat: a matter of disturbance for the immune systemAlessandro Federico
Section of Clinical Immunology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Second University of Naples, Napoli, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 16:4762-72. 2010..This review discusses the role of fat as "a matter of disturbance for the immune system" with a focus on hepatic steatosis...
- Relationship of blood trace elements to liver damage, nutritional status, and oxidative stress in chronic nonalcoholic liver diseaseC Loguercio
Centro Interuniversitario di Ricerche su Alimenti, Nutrizione e Apparato Digerente, , , Naples, Italy
Biol Trace Elem Res 81:245-54. 2001..The plasma Br level was higher in cirrhotics with respect to the control and chronic hepatitis groups...
- Telaprevir may induce adverse cutaneous reactions by a T cell immune-mediated mechanismAlessandro Federico
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Ann Hepatol 14:420-4. 2015..05). In conclusion, adverse cutaneous reactions of our patient were caused by a telaprevir-induced T-cell dependent immune mechanism. ..
- Urotensin-II receptor is over-expressed in colon cancer cell lines and in colon carcinoma in humansAlessandro Federico
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Surgery, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 44:285-94. 2014..Urotensin (U)-II receptor (UTR) has been previously reported to be over-expressed in a number of tumours. Whether UTR-related pathway plays a role in colon carcinogenesis is unknown...
- Clinical trial on the efficacy of a new symbiotic formulation, Flortec, in patients with irritable bowel syndrome: a multicenter, randomized studyAngelo Andriulli
Division of Gastroenterology, Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza Hospital, IRCCS, San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:S218-23. 2008..Efficacy of symbiotics in patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) remains unknown...
- Drinking habits and risk of altered liver enzymes in the general population of a rural area in Southern ItalyC Loguercio
Interuniversity Research Center on Foods, Nutrition and Gastrointestinal Tract CIRANAD, Unit of Gastroenterology, 2nd University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 39:748-52. 2007....
- The patterns of reflux can affect regression of non-dysplastic and low-grade dysplastic Barrett's esophagus after medical and surgical treatment: a prospective case-control studySalvatore Tolone
Division of General and Bariatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Second University of Naples, Via Pansini, 5, 80131, Naples, NA, Italy
Surg Endosc 29:648-57. 2015..We aimed to analyze pattern of reflux and regression of ND- or LGD-BE after medical and surgical treatment...
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a multicentre clinical study by the Italian Association for the Study of the LiverC Loguercio
School of Gastroenterology, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 36:398-405. 2004..To define the characteristics of the Italian patient presenting non-alcoholic fatty liver disease...
- Effects of selenium and zinc supplementation on nutritional status in patients with cancer of digestive tractA Federico
Semeiotics and Clinical Methodology, II University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Eur J Clin Nutr 55:293-7. 2001..To evaluate the effect of oral administration of selenium and zinc tablets in patients with cancer of the digestive tract during chemotherapy...
- Alteration of haemostasis in non-metastatic gastric cancerP Di Micco
Division of General Medicine and Hepatology, Second University of Naples, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 33:546-50. 2001..Cancer is one of the most common acquired causes of venous thromboembolism...
- Can dietary intake influence plasma levels of amino acids in liver cirrhosis?C Loguercio
Interuniversity Research Centre on alimentary intake, Nutrition and Gastrointestinal Tract, Gastrointestinal School, Faculty of Medicine, 2nd University of Naples, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 32:611-6. 2000..Modifications in plasma amino acid patterns in cirrhotics are attributed to impaired liver function, being more evident in alcoholic than in viral cirrhosis...
- Gut-liver axis: a new point of attack to treat chronic liver damage?Carmela Loguercio
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2144-6. 2002