Affiliation: Scuola Normale Superiore
- Plasticity in the adult brain: lessons from the visual systemMaria Spolidoro
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Scuola Normale Superiore, Via Moruzzi 1, 56100, Pisa, Italy
Exp Brain Res 192:335-41. 2009..These studies point toward intracortical inhibition as a crucial determinant for critical period regulation in the visual system and have a great potential for therapeutic rehabilitation and recovery from injury in the adult brain...
- Inhibition of matrix metalloproteinases prevents the potentiation of nondeprived-eye responses after monocular deprivation in juvenile ratsM Spolidoro
Institute of Neuroscience, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Cereb Cortex 22:725-34. 2012..MMP inhibition did not influence homeostatic plasticity tested in the monocular cortex but significantly prevented an increase in dendritic spine density present after 7 days MD in layer II-III pyramids...
- Serotonin triggers a transient epigenetic mechanism that reinstates adult visual cortex plasticity in ratsJosé Fernando Maya Vetencourt
Scuola Normale Superiore, Neurobiology Laboratory, CNR, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 33:49-57. 2011..The data suggest a key role for 5-HT(1A) receptor and BDNF-trkB signalling in driving a transitory epigenetic remodelling of chromatin structure that underlies the reactivation of plasticity in the visual system...
- Reducing intracortical inhibition in the adult visual cortex promotes ocular dominance plasticityAlexey Harauzov
Scuola Normale Superiore, 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 30:361-71. 2010..Thus, intracortical inhibition is a crucial limiting factor for the induction of experience-dependent plasticity in the adult visual cortex...
- Food restriction enhances visual cortex plasticity in adulthoodMaria Spolidoro
Institute of Neuroscience, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56100 Pisa, Italy
Nat Commun 2:320. 2011..Our results suggest that food restriction could be investigated as a potential way of modulating plasticity...
- Brain plasticity and disease: a matter of inhibitionLaura Baroncelli
National Research Council CNR, Neuroscience Institute, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56124 Pisa, Italy
Neural Plast 2011:286073. 2011..This paper summarizes recent findings showing that the inhibition-excitation balance controls adult brain plasticity and is at the core of the pathogenesis of neurodevelopmental disorders like autism, Down syndrome, and Rett syndrome...
- Environmental enrichment decreases GABAergic inhibition and improves cognitive abilities, synaptic plasticity, and visual functions in a mouse model of Down syndromeTatjana Begenisic
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Scuola Normale Superiore Pisa, Italy
Front Cell Neurosci 5:29. 2011....