Affiliation: Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna
- Adhesion and proliferation of skeletal muscle cells on single layer poly(lactic acid) ultra-thin filmsLeonardo Ricotti
Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Piazza Martiri della Libertà, 33, 56127 Pisa, Italy
Biomed Microdevices 12:809-19. 2010....
- Break dance significantly increases static balance in 9 years-old soccer playersLeonardo Ricotti
Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Piazza Martiri della Libertà, 33 56127 Pisa, Italy
Gait Posture 33:462-5. 2011..The difference was significantly greater with respect to that of soccer players and "soccer+swimming" players. This was evident in all the tests performed starting from two months after the break dance activity began...
- Engineering stem cells for future medicineLeonardo Ricotti
BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Pontedera 56025, Italy
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 60:727-34. 2013....
- Wearable and implantable pancreas substitutesLeonardo Ricotti
The BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025, Pontedera Pisa, Italy
J Artif Organs 16:9-22. 2013....
- Bio-hybrid muscle cell-based actuatorsLeonardo Ricotti
BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025, Pontedera, Pisa, Italy
Biomed Microdevices 14:987-98. 2012..Future perspectives are also described, envisioning bio-hybrid actuators as key components of a new generation of machines able to show life-like movements and behaviors...
- Nanostructured, highly aligned poly(hydroxy butyrate) electrospun fibers for differentiation of skeletal and cardiac muscle cellsLeonardo Ricotti
BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, and with the Center for Micro Bio Robotics SSSA, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, 56127 Pontedera, PI, Italy
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2011:3597-600. 2011..Moreover, quantitative parameters for each cell line are provided to clarify which aspects of the differentiation process are influenced by the different matrix topographies...
- A novel strategy for long-term implantable artificial pancreasLeonardo Ricotti
BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, 56127 Pontedera, PI, Italy
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2011:2849-53. 2011..Such system has the potential to represent a final solution for diabetes treatment, by fully restoring patients' quality of life...
- Quantification of growth and differentiation of C2C12 skeletal muscle cells on PSS-PAH-based polyelectrolyte layer-by-layer nanofilmsLeonardo Ricotti
CRIM Lab, Polo Sant Anna Valdera, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025 Pontedera Pisa, Italy
Biomed Mater 6:031001. 2011....
- Flexible polymeric ultrathin film for mesenchymal stem cell differentiationVirginia Pensabene
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Center for MicroBioRobotics SSSA, Pontedera, Italy
Acta Biomater 7:2883-91. 2011..The nanofilms did not impair the growth and differentiation of osteoblasts and chondrocytes. Moreover, nanofilm adhesion to rabbit joints was evident under ex vivo conditions...
- Microwrinkled conducting polymer interface for anisotropic multicellular alignmentFrancesco Greco
Center for MicroBioRobotics SSSA, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025 Pontedera, Italy
ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 5:573-84. 2013..The combination of living cells and tunable conductive nanowrinkles will represent a unique tool for the development of innovative biomedical devices...
- Proliferation and skeletal myotube formation capability of C2C12 and H9c2 cells on isotropic and anisotropic electrospun nanofibrous PHB scaffoldsLeonardo Ricotti
BioRobotics Institute, Polo Sant Anna Valdera, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Pontedera Pisa, Italy
Biomed Mater 7:035010. 2012..We also clarified how the nanofibrous substrate influences myotube formation, and quantified a series of myotube-related parameters for both C2C12 and H9c2 cells...
- Effects of barium titanate nanoparticles on proliferation and differentiation of rat mesenchymal stem cellsGianni Ciofani
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Center for Micro BioRobotics SSSA, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025 Pontedera Pisa, Italy
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 102:312-20. 2013..Finally, differentiation in adipocytes and osteocytes was achieved in the presence of high doses of BTNPs, thus highlighting the safety of these nanostructures towards mesenchymal stem cells...
- Evaluation of substrata effect on cell adhesion properties using freestanding poly(L-lactic acid) nanosheetsToshinori Fujie
Center for MicroBioRobotics Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34 Pontedera, Pisa, 56025, Italy
Langmuir 27:13173-82. 2011..Modulation of the stiffness of the polymeric nanosheet by utilizing a rigid underlying material will allow the constitution of a unique cell culture environment...
- Bio/non-bio interfaces: a straightforward method for obtaining long term PDMS/muscle cell biohybrid constructsGiada Graziana Genchi
Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, The BioRobotics Institute, Pisa, Italy
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 105:144-51. 2013..Furthermore, modified PDMS membranes prove to be suitable to several long-term studies of cell behaviour in vitro, including muscle cell contractility investigations...
- Preparation, characterization and in vitro testing of poly(lactic-co-glycolic) acid/barium titanate nanoparticle composites for enhanced cellular proliferationGianni Ciofani
Italian Institute of Technology, Smart Materials Lab, Center for Micro BioRobotics c o Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, Pontedera, Pisa, Italy
Biomed Microdevices 13:255-66. 2011..Finally, the possibility to obtain porous scaffold and, therefore, an actual 3D culture system, is introduced...
- Hypergravity effects on myoblast proliferation and differentiationGianni Ciofani
Italian Institute of Technology, Center of MicroBioRobotics c o Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025 Pontedera Pisa, Italy
J Biosci Bioeng 113:258-61. 2012....
- Boron nitride nanotube-mediated stimulation of cell co-culture on micro-engineered hydrogelsLeonardo Ricotti
The BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Pontedera, Pisa, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e71707. 2013..Finally, calcium imaging-based experiments demonstrated a higher functionality of the stimulated co-cultures. ..
- Enhancement of neurite outgrowth in neuronal-like cells following boron nitride nanotube-mediated stimulationGianni Ciofani
Italian Institute of Technology c o Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34 Pontedera Pisa, 56025, Italy
ACS Nano 4:6267-77. 2010..PC12 stimulated with the present method exhibit neurite sprout 30% greater than the control cultures after 9 days of treatment...
- Analysis of balance, rapidity, force and reaction times of soccer players at different levels of competitionLeonardo Ricotti
The BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Pontedera Pisa, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e77264. 2013....
- A flexible bioreactor system for constructing in vitro tissue and organ modelsFederico Vozzi
CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, Pisa, Italy
Biotechnol Bioeng 108:2129-40. 2011..The results show that endothelial cells are extremely sensitive to small levels of shear stress and that the presence of heterotypic signals from endothelial cells enhances the endogenous metabolic function of hepatocytes...