Affiliation: Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna
- Benelli G, Romano D, Messing R, Canale A. Population-level lateralized aggressive and courtship displays make better fighters not lovers: evidence from a fly. Behav Processes. 2015;115:163-8 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed on possible benefits arising from lateralization of courtship traits in insects. ..
- Romano D, Canale A, Benelli G. Do right-biased boxers do it better? Population-level asymmetry of aggressive displays enhances fighting success in blowflies. Behav Processes. 2015;113:159-62 pubmed publisher..Lateralised aggressive displays at population-level may be connected to the prolonged social interactions occurring among males searching for food and mates. ..
- Benelli G, Murugan K, Panneerselvam C, Madhiyazhagan P, Conti B, Nicoletti M. Old ingredients for a new recipe? Neem cake, a low-cost botanical by-product in the fight against mosquito-borne diseases. Parasitol Res. 2015;114:391-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, neem cake can be proposed as an eco-friendly and low-cost source of chemicals to build newer and safer control tools against mosquito vectors. ..
- Benelli G, Bedini S, Flamini G, Cosci F, Cioni P, Amira S, et al. Mediterranean essential oils as effective weapons against the West Nile vector Culex pipiens and the Echinostoma intermediate host Physella acuta: what happens around? An acute toxicity survey on non-target mayflies. Parasitol Res. 2015;114:1011-21 pubmed publisher..dipterum. This research adds knowledge on plant-borne chemicals toxic against invertebrates of medical importance, allowing us to propose the tested oils as effective candidates to develop newer and safer vector control tools. ..
- Benelli G. The best time to have sex: mating behaviour and effect of daylight time on male sexual competitiveness in the Asian tiger mosquito, Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae). Parasitol Res. 2015;114:887-94 pubmed publisher..albopictus, which can be used to perform comparisons among courtship and mating ethograms from different mosquito species and strains, allowing monitoring and optimisation of mass rearing quality over time in SIT programs. ..
- Govindarajan M, Vijayan P, Kadaikunnan S, Alharbi N, Benelli G. One-pot biogenic fabrication of silver nanocrystals using Quisqualis indica: Effectiveness on malaria and Zika virus mosquito vectors, and impact on non-target aquatic organisms. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2016;162:646-655 pubmed publisher..indica is a low-cost and eco-friendly tool in the fight against Zika virus, malaria and filariasis vectors, with little impact against non-target aquatic mosquito predators. ..
- Murugan K, Panneerselvam C, Samidoss C, Madhiyazhagan P, Suresh U, Roni M, et al. In vivo and in vitro effectiveness of Azadirachta indica-synthesized silver nanocrystals against Plasmodium berghei and Plasmodium falciparum, and their potential against malaria mosquitoes. Res Vet Sci. 2016;106:14-22 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study showed that the A. indica-mediated fabrication of AgNP is of interest for a wide array of purposes, ranging from IPM of mosquito vectors to the development of novel and cheap antimalarial drugs. ..
- Benelli G, Pavela R, Canale A, Mehlhorn H. Tick repellents and acaricides of botanical origin: a green roadmap to control tick-borne diseases?. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:2545-60 pubmed publisher..Overall, the knowledge summarized in this review may be helpful for comparative screening among extensive numbers of plant-borne preparations, in order to develop newer and safer tick control tools. ..
- Benelli G, Lo Iacono A, Canale A, Mehlhorn H. Mosquito vectors and the spread of cancer: an overlooked connection?. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:2131-7 pubmed publisher..Current evidences on nanodrugs with multipotency against mosquito-borne diseases and cancers are reviewed, with peculiar attention to their mechanisms of action. ..
- Govindarajan M, Rajeswary M, Benelli G. Chemical composition, toxicity and non-target effects of Pinus kesiya essential oil: An eco-friendly and novel larvicide against malaria, dengue and lymphatic filariasis mosquito vectors. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2016;129:85-90 pubmed publisher..Overall, this research adds basic knowledge to develop newer and safer natural larvicides from Pinaceae plants against malaria, dengue and filariasis mosquito vectors. ..
- Murugan K, Nataraj D, Madhiyazhagan P, Sujitha V, Chandramohan B, Panneerselvam C, et al. Carbon and silver nanoparticles in the fight against the filariasis vector Culex quinquefasciatus: genotoxicity and impact on behavioral traits of non-target aquatic organisms. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:1071-83 pubmed publisher..quinquefasciatus. ..
- Benelli G. Plant-mediated biosynthesis of nanoparticles as an emerging tool against mosquitoes of medical and veterinary importance: a review. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:23-34 pubmed publisher..In the final section, particular attention was dedicated to this issue. A number of hot areas that need further research and cooperation among parasitologists and entomologists are highlighted. ..
- Madhiyazhagan P, Murugan K, Kumar A, Nataraj T, Dinesh D, Panneerselvam C, et al. S argassum muticum-synthesized silver nanoparticles: an effective control tool against mosquito vectors and bacterial pathogens. Parasitol Res. 2015;114:4305-17 pubmed publisher..This is the first report about ovicidal activity of metal nanoparticles against mosquito vectors. ..
- Murugan K, Dinesh D, Paulpandi M, Althbyani A, Subramaniam J, Madhiyazhagan P, et al. Nanoparticles in the fight against mosquito-borne diseases: bioactivity of Bruguiera cylindrica-synthesized nanoparticles against dengue virus DEN-2 (in vitro) and its mosquito vector Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae). Parasitol Res. 2015;114:4349-61 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, B. cylindrica-synthesized AgNP can be employed at low doses to reduce larval and pupal population of A. aegypti, without detrimental effects of predation rates of mosquito predators, such as C. auratus. ..
- Subramaniam J, Murugan K, Panneerselvam C, Kovendan K, Madhiyazhagan P, Kumar P, et al. Eco-friendly control of malaria and arbovirus vectors using the mosquitofish Gambusia affinis and ultra-low dosages of Mimusops elengi-synthesized silver nanoparticles: towards an integrative approach?. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2015;22:20067-83 pubmed publisher..elengi-synthesized AgNP may be employed at ultra-low doses to reduce larval populations of malaria and arbovirus vectors, without detrimental effects on predation rates of mosquito natural enemies, such as larvivorous fishes. ..
- Govindarajan M, Khater H, Panneerselvam C, Benelli G. One-pot fabrication of silver nanocrystals using Nicandra physalodes: A novel route for mosquito vector control with moderate toxicity on non-target water bugs. Res Vet Sci. 2016;107:95-101 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results highlight that N. physalodes-fabricated Ag NPs are a promising for development of eco-friendly larvicides against mosquito vectors, with negligible toxicity against non-target aquatic water bugs. ..
- Chandramohan B, Murugan K, Panneerselvam C, Madhiyazhagan P, Chandirasekar R, Dinesh D, et al. Characterization and mosquitocidal potential of neem cake-synthesized silver nanoparticles: genotoxicity and impact on predation efficiency of mosquito natural enemies. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:1015-25 pubmed publisher
- Murugan K, Labeeba M, Panneerselvam C, Dinesh D, Suresh U, Subramaniam J, et al. Aristolochia indica green-synthesized silver nanoparticles: A sustainable control tool against the malaria vector Anopheles stephensi?. Res Vet Sci. 2015;102:127-35 pubmed publisher..In AgNP-contaminated environment (1 ppm), it was 45.5% (larvae II) and 71.75% (larvae III). Overall, A. indica-synthesized AgNP may be considered as newer and safer control tools against Anopheles vectors. ..
- Vadivalagan C, Karthika P, Murugan K, Panneerselvam C, Paulpandi M, Madhiyazhagan P, et al. Genetic deviation in geographically close populations of the dengue vector Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae): influence of environmental barriers in South India. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:1149-60 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results add basic knowledge to molecular ecology of the dengue vector A. aegypti, providing the first evidence for multiple introductions of Ae. aegypti populations from Columbia and West Africa in South India. ..
- Murugan K, Vadivalagan C, Karthika P, Panneerselvam C, Paulpandi M, Subramaniam J, et al. DNA barcoding and molecular evolution of mosquito vectors of medical and veterinary importance. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:107-21 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study adds basic knowledge to molecular evolution of mosquito vectors of medical and veterinary importance and may be useful to improve biotechnological tools employed in Culicidae control programmes. ..
- Govindarajan M, Hoti S, Rajeswary M, Benelli G. One-step synthesis of polydispersed silver nanocrystals using Malva sylvestris: an eco-friendly mosquito larvicide with negligible impact on non-target aquatic organisms. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:2685-95 pubmed publisher..16 to 1044.52 ?g/mL. Overall, this research firstly shed light on the mosquitocidal potential of M. sylvestris, a potential bio-resource for rapid, cheap and effective synthesis of polydisperse and highly stable silver nanocrystals. ..
- Benelli G. Aggression in Tephritidae Flies: Where, When, Why? Future Directions for Research in Integrated Pest Management. Insects. 2014;6:38-53 pubmed publisher..In the final section, future directions to exploit this knowledge in Integrated Pest Management, with particular emphasis on enhancement of Sterile Insect Technique and interspecific competitive displacement in the field are suggested. ..
- Khater H, Hendawy N, Govindarajan M, Murugan K, Benelli G. Photosensitizers in the fight against ticks: safranin as a novel photodynamic fluorescent acaricide to control the camel tick Hyalomma dromedarii (Ixodidae). Parasitol Res. 2016;115:3747-58 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results highlighted that SF is highly effective if compared to TM, allowing use to candidate it for the development of novel and safer acaricides. ..
- Murugan K, Panneerselvam C, Subramaniam J, Madhiyazhagan P, Hwang J, Wang L, et al. Eco-friendly drugs from the marine environment: spongeweed-synthesized silver nanoparticles are highly effective on Plasmodium falciparum and its vector Anopheles stephensi, with little non-target effects on predatory copepods. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2016;23:16671-85 pubmed publisher..The employ of ultra-low doses of nanomosquitocides in synergy with cyclopoid crustaceans seems a promising green route for effective mosquito control programs. ..
- Govindarajan M, Rajeswary M, Arivoli S, Tennyson S, Benelli G. Larvicidal and repellent potential of Zingiber nimmonii (J. Graham) Dalzell (Zingiberaceae) essential oil: an eco-friendly tool against malaria, dengue, and lymphatic filariasis mosquito vectors?. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:1807-16 pubmed publisher..53 and 9250.12Â Î¼g/ml, respectively. Overall, this research adds basic knowledge to develop newer and safer natural larvicides and repellent from Zingiberaceae plants against malaria, dengue, and filariasis mosquito vectors. ..
- Murugan K, Dinesh D, Kavithaa K, Paulpandi M, Ponraj T, Alsalhi M, et al. Hydrothermal synthesis of titanium dioxide nanoparticles: mosquitocidal potential and anticancer activity on human breast cancer cells (MCF-7). Parasitol Res. 2016;115:1085-96 pubmed publisher..485 ppm (larva IV), and 7.527 ppm (pupa). Overall, our results suggested that TiO2 nanoparticles may be considered as a safe tool to build newer and safer mosquitocides and chemotherapeutic agents with little systemic toxicity. ..
- Pavela R, Benelli G. Ethnobotanical knowledge on botanical repellents employed in the African region against mosquito vectors - A review. Exp Parasitol. 2016;167:103-8 pubmed publisher..Overall, this review covers studies conducted only in a limited part of the African continent, highlighting the importance to undertake further research efforts to preserve the unique knowledge and traditions of the native tribes. ..
- Pavela R, Benelli G. Essential Oils as Ecofriendly Biopesticides? Challenges and Constraints. Trends Plant Sci. 2016;21:1000-1007 pubmed publisher..microencapsulation); (ii) simplification of the complex and costly biopesticide authorization requirements; and (iii) optimization of plant growing conditions and extraction processes leading to EOs of homogeneous chemical composition. ..
- Jaganathan A, Murugan K, Panneerselvam C, Madhiyazhagan P, Dinesh D, Vadivalagan C, et al. Earthworm-mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles: A potent tool against hepatocellular carcinoma, Plasmodium falciparum parasites and malaria mosquitoes. Parasitol Int. 2016;65:276-84 pubmed publisher..25% (II) and 70.75% (III), respectively. Overall, this research highlighted the EW-AgNP potential against hepatocellular carcinoma, Plasmodium parasites and mosquito vectors, with little detrimental effects on mosquito natural enemies. ..
- Panneerselvam C, Murugan K, Roni M, Aziz A, Suresh U, Rajaganesh R, et al. Fern-synthesized nanoparticles in the fight against malaria: LC/MS analysis of Pteridium aquilinum leaf extract and biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles with high mosquitocidal and antiplasmodial activity. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:997-1013 pubmed publisher..falciparum and different developmental instars of its primary vector An. stephensi. Further research on nanosynthesis routed by the LC/MS-identified constituents is ongoing. ..
- Benelli G. Research in mosquito control: current challenges for a brighter future. Parasitol Res. 2015;114:2801-5 pubmed publisher..A number of hot areas that need further research and cooperation among parasitologists, entomologists, and behavioral ecologists are highlighted. ..
- Govindarajan M, Hoti S, Benelli G. Facile fabrication of eco-friendly nano-mosquitocides: Biophysical characterization and effectiveness on neglected tropical mosquito vectors. Enzyme Microb Technol. 2016;95:155-163 pubmed publisher..61 to 2098.61?g/mL. Overall, this research firstly shed light on the mosquitocidal potential of I. frutescens, a potential bio-resource for rapid, cheap and effective synthesis of poly-disperse and highly stable silver nanocrystals. ..
- Canale A, Benelli G, Castagna A, Sgherri C, Poli P, Serra A, et al. Microwave-Assisted Drying for the Conservation of Honeybee Pollen. Materials (Basel). 2016;9: pubmed publisher..Similarly, rutin content was unaffected by the microwave drying, suggesting that the microwave-assisted drying could be a powerful technology to preserve bioprotective compounds in fresh pollen. ..