Affiliation: San Raffaele Scientific Institute
- In vivo confocal microscopy in goldenhar syndrome: a case reportGiacinto Triolo
Cornea and Ocular Surface Unit, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
BMC Ophthalmol 13:55. 2013..We aimed to (i) describe the in vivo confocal morphology of limbal dermoids in Goldenhar syndrome and (ii) compare these findings with standard light microscopy...
- Double-biguanide therapy for resistant acanthamoeba keratitisGiulio Ferrari
Bietti Eye Foundation, Rome, Italy
Case Report Ophthalmol 2:338-42. 2011..To report the clinical and diagnostic findings of a patient with Acanthamoeba keratitis resistant to both polyhexamethylene biguanide (PHMB)-hexamidine and chlorhexidine-hexamidine treatment...
- Unusual early recurrence of granular dystrophy after deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty: case reportPaolo Rama
Ophthalmology Cornea and Ocular Surface Unit, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milano, Italy
Arq Bras Oftalmol 76:126-8. 2013..The unusual localization and timing of this recurrence of granular corneal dystrophy after deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty suggests that corneal stromal keratocytes may play a role in the formation of granular deposits. ..
- Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty using an original manual techniquePaolo Rama
Ospedale San Raffaele, Unità Cornea e Superficie Oculare, Via Olgettina 60, Milano 20132, Italy
Br J Ophthalmol 97:23-7. 2013..To evaluate the clinical findings and visual outcomes of deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK) using an original manual dissection technique...
- Acanthamoeba keratitis with perforation after corneal crosslinking and bandage contact lens usePaolo Rama
Department of Ophthalmology, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:788-91. 2009....
- Impending corneal perforation after collagen cross-linking for herpetic keratitisGiulio Ferrari
G B Bietti Foundation IRCCS, Rome, Italy
J Cataract Refract Surg 39:638-41. 2013..However, corneal infection is itself a possible complication of this treatment. We describe a case of severe corneal thinning and melting in a woman who had a CXL procedure as a treatment for herpetic keratitis...
- Topical treatment with nerve growth factor in an animal model of herpetic keratitisAlessandro Lambiase
Interdisciplinary Center for Biomedical Research CIR, Laboratory of Ophthalmology, University Campus Bio Medico of Rome, Via E Longoni, 83 00155, Rome, Italy
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:121-7. 2008..The aims of this study were to evaluate the role of endogenous NGF in HSV corneal infection, and the effects of topical NGF treatment on herpetic keratitis...
- Limbal stem-cell therapy and long-term corneal regenerationPaolo Rama
San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Ophthalmology Unit, Milan, Italy
N Engl J Med 363:147-55. 2010..We investigated the long-term clinical results of cell therapy in patients with burn-related corneal destruction associated with limbal stem-cell deficiency, a highly disabling ocular disease...
- In vitro evidence of nerve growth factor effects on human conjunctival epithelial cell differentiation and mucin gene expressionAlessandro Lambiase
CIR Laboratory of Ophthalmology, University Campus Bio Medico, Rome, Italy
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:4622-30. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate in vitro the effect of NGF on conjunctival goblet cell differentiation and mucin production and secretion...
- Alkali burn versus suture-induced corneal neovascularization in C57BL/6 mice: an overview of two common animal models of corneal neovascularizationChiara Giacomini
San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy Electronic address
Exp Eye Res 121:1-4. 2014..Furthermore, lymphangiogenesis is more pronounced in the albino (FVB) strain after suture placement. We suggest that the suture model has a number of advantages and may be preferentially used to study corneal lymphangiogenesis. ..
- Visual outcome in ocular sarcoidosis: retrospective evaluation of risk factorsElisabetta Miserocchi
Department of Ophthalmology, University Vita Salute, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 21:802-10. 2011..To analyze risk factors associated with poor visual outcome in patients with ocular sarcoidosis...
- Safety and efficacy of topical infliximab in a mouse model of ocular surface scarringGiulio Ferrari
Cornea and Ocular Surface Disease Unit, Eye Repair Lab, San Raffaele Hospital, Via Olgettina 60, Milan, Italy
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54:1680-8. 2013..To evaluate the safety/efficacy of topical infliximab, an anti-TNF-α monoclonal antibody, in a mouse model of ocular surface scarring...
- Rapid molecular identification of fungal pathogens in corneal samples from suspected keratomycosis casesNicasio Mancini
Laboratorio di Microbiologia e Virologia1, Dipartimento di Oftalmologia e Scienze della Visione, IRCCS Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
J Med Microbiol 55:1505-9. 2006..Similar studies on larger panels of patients and on different clinical samples are required for further investigation of the clinical potential of ITS-based approaches in the diagnosis of mycotic infections...
- Anterior uveitis complicating zoledronic acid infusionAnnalisa Colucci
San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Ophthalmology, Milano, Italy
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 17:267-8. 2009..The patient was treated with topical prednisone and cycloplegic eye drops, with complete recovery after one month. This report shows that, on rare occasions, zoledronic acid can be a possible cause of acute anterior uveitis...
- Atypical toxoplasmosis masquerading late occurrence of typical findingsElisabetta Miserocchi
Department of Ophthalmology, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milano Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 19:1091-3. 2009..To report two unusual cases of ocular toxoplasmosis...
- Adult human Müller glia cells are a highly efficient source of rod photoreceptorsSerena G Giannelli
Stem Cell and Neurogenesis Unit, Division of Neuroscience, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Stem Cells 29:344-56. 2011..These data provide evidence that Müller glia retains an unpredicted plasticity and multipotent potential into adulthood, and it is therefore a promising source of novel therapeutic applications in retinal repair...
- Efficacy of valacyclovir vs acyclovir for the prevention of recurrent herpes simplex virus eye disease: a pilot studyElisabetta Miserocchi
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Am J Ophthalmol 144:547-51. 2007..To compare the efficacy of one-year treatment with valacyclovir vs acyclovir in preventing recurrence of the herpes simplex virus (HSV) eye disease...
- Molecular basis for keratoconus: lack of TrkA expression and its transcriptional repression by Sp3Alessandro Lambiase
Department of Ophthalmology, University Campus Bio Medico, G B Bietti Eye Foundation, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Rome, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16795-800. 2005..This mechanism for the transcriptional repression of the TrkA(NGFR) gene can provide the platform for the development of a therapeutic strategy...