Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: San Raffaele Scientific Institute
- Benedetti F, Campori E, Colombo C, Smeraldi E. Fluvoxamine treatment of major depression associated with multiple sclerosis. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2004;16:364-6 pubmed..Despite a 16.3% attrition rate, 79% of patients achieved response. The drug was well tolerated. ..
- Benedetti F, Melloni E, Dallaspezia S, Bollettini I, Locatelli C, Poletti S, et al. Night sleep influences white matter microstructure in bipolar depression. J Affect Disord. 2017;218:380-387 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest an association between sleep disruption and these measures of brain microstructure in specific tracts contributing to the functional connectivity in BD. ..
- Benedetti F, Poletti S, Hoogenboezem T, Locatelli C, Ambrée O, de Wit H, et al. Stem Cell Factor (SCF) is a putative biomarker of antidepressant response. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2016;11:248-58 pubmed publisher..SCF may be a candidate growth factor that contributes to neurotrophic and immune effects that are involved in the process of remission/recovery from depression. ..
- Benedetti F, Bernasconi A, Blasi V, Cadioli M, Colombo C, Falini A, et al. Neural and genetic correlates of antidepressant response to sleep deprivation: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study of moral valence decision in bipolar depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007;64:179-87 pubmed..Multiple factors that affect or are affected at the individual level by major depressive episodes in the course of bipolar disorder significantly interact in influencing brain cortical activity in specific areas. ..
- Benedetti F, Serretti A, Pontiggia A, Bernasconi A, Lorenzi C, Colombo C, et al. Long-term response to lithium salts in bipolar illness is influenced by the glycogen synthase kinase 3-beta -50 T/C SNP. Neurosci Lett. 2005;376:51-5 pubmed
- Benedetti F, Barbini B, Bernasconi A, Fulgosi M, Dallaspezia S, Gavinelli C, et al. Acute antidepressant response to sleep deprivation combined with light therapy is influenced by the catechol-O-methyltransferase Val(108/158)Met polymorphism. J Affect Disord. 2010;121:68-72 pubmed publisher..This finding supports the hypothesis of a major role for catecholamines in the mechanism of action of chronotherapeutics, and for rs4680 in modulating this effect. ..
- Benedetti F, Dallaspezia S, Colombo C, Lorenzi C, Pirovano A, Smeraldi E. Association between catechol-O-methyltransferase Val(108/158)Met polymorphism and psychotic features of bipolar disorder. J Affect Disord. 2010;125:341-4 pubmed publisher..We suggest that rs4680 could be an inheritable aspect of the mechanisms of dopamine regulation that could influence the individual susceptibility of patients with bipolar disorder to develop psychotic symptoms. ..
- Benedetti F, Radaelli D, Bernasconi A, Dallaspezia S, Falini A, Scotti G, et al. Clock genes beyond the clock: CLOCK genotype biases neural correlates of moral valence decision in depressed patients. Genes Brain Behav. 2008;7:20-5 pubmed..Our results support the hypothesis that individual clock genotype may influence several variables linked with human behaviors in normal and psychopathological conditions. ..
- Benedetti F, Serretti A, Colombo C, Barbini B, Lorenzi C, Campori E, et al. Influence of CLOCK gene polymorphism on circadian mood fluctuation and illness recurrence in bipolar depression. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2003;123B:23-6 pubmed..Given the post-hoc nature of the finding, replication in independent samples is necessary to confirm it. ..
- Benedetti F, Dallaspezia S, Colombo C, Pirovano A, Marino E, Smeraldi E. A length polymorphism in the circadian clock gene Per3 influences age at onset of bipolar disorder. Neurosci Lett. 2008;445:184-7 pubmed publisher..Results need to be confirmed in larger samples, but warrant interest for the variants of molecular clock genes as possible endophenotypes of bipolar disorder. ..
- Benedetti F, Serretti A, Colombo C, Lilli R, Lorenzi C, Smeraldi E. Dopamine receptor D2 and D3 gene variants are not associated with the antidepressant effect of total sleep deprivation in bipolar depression. Psychiatry Res. 2003;118:241-7 pubmed..Consideration of possible stratification effects such as gender, age at onset and duration of illness did not reveal any association either. The tested gene variants are not a main factor influencing TSD outcome in bipolar disorder. ..
- Benedetti F, Poletti S, Locatelli C, Mazza E, Lorenzi C, Vitali A, et al. A Homer 1 gene variant influences brain structure and function, lithium effects on white matter, and antidepressant response in bipolar disorder: A multimodal genetic imaging study. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2018;81:88-95 pubmed publisher
- Benedetti F, Poletti S, Hoogenboezem T, Locatelli C, de Wit H, Wijkhuijs A, et al. Higher Baseline Proinflammatory Cytokines Mark Poor Antidepressant Response in Bipolar Disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2017;78:e986-e993 pubmed publisher..0192, P = .013). Proinflammatory compounds reflecting an M1-like proinflammatory state of monocytes/macrophages are associated with a poor response to antidepressant TSD + LT treatment in bipolar depression. ..
- Benedetti F, Ambrée O, Locatelli C, Lorenzi C, Poletti S, Colombo C, et al. The effect of childhood trauma on serum BDNF in bipolar depression is modulated by the serotonin promoter genotype. Neurosci Lett. 2017;656:177-181 pubmed publisher..Possible mechanisms include epigenetic modulation of BDNF gene expression, due to different reactivity to stressors in 5-HTTLPR genotype groups. ..
- Muzio L, Brambilla V, Calcaterra L, D Adamo P, Martino G, Benedetti F. Increased neuroplasticity and hippocampal microglia activation in a mice model of rapid antidepressant treatment. Behav Brain Res. 2016;311:392-402 pubmed publisher..Increased Arc/Arg3.1 suggests however increased neuroplasticity, which could be common to all fast-acting antidepressants, and possibly occurring in other brain areas. ..
- Benedetti F, Poletti S, Hoogenboezem T, Mazza E, AmbrÃ©e O, de Wit H, et al. Inflammatory cytokines influence measures of white matter integrity in Bipolar Disorder. J Affect Disord. 2016;202:1-9 pubmed publisher..The activated inflammatory response system might contribute to BD pathophysiology by hampering structural connectivity in critical cortico-limbic networks. ..
- Benedetti F, Bernasconi A, Lorenzi C, Pontiggia A, Serretti A, Colombo C, et al. A single nucleotide polymorphism in glycogen synthase kinase 3-beta promoter gene influences onset of illness in patients affected by bipolar disorder. Neurosci Lett. 2004;355:37-40 pubmed
- Benedetti F, Dallaspezia S, Fulgosi M, Lorenzi C, Serretti A, Barbini B, et al. Actimetric evidence that CLOCK 3111 T/C SNP influences sleep and activity patterns in patients affected by bipolar depression. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2007;144B:631-5 pubmed..Individual characteristics of the molecular clock can influence sleep symptoms in mood disorders...
- Benedetti F, Barbini B, Bernasconi A, Fulgosi M, Colombo C, Dallaspezia S, et al. Serotonin 5-HT2A receptor gene variants influence antidepressant response to repeated total sleep deprivation in bipolar depression. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2008;32:1863-6 pubmed publisher..Results confirm the interest for individual gene variants of the serotonin pathway in shaping clinical characteristics of depression and antidepressant response. ..
- Benedetti F, Dallaspezia S, Colombo C, Lorenzi C, Pirovano A, Smeraldi E. Effect of catechol-O-methyltransferase Val(108/158)Met polymorphism on antidepressant efficacy of fluvoxamine. Eur Psychiatry. 2010;25:476-8 pubmed publisher..Recent clinical studies found a significant effect of rs4680 on antidepressant response to fluoxetine and paroxetine, but several other studies were negative. No study considered drug plasma levels as possible nuisance covariate...
- Benedetti F, Poletti S, Radaelli D, Bernasconi A, Cavallaro R, Falini A, et al. Temporal lobe grey matter volume in schizophrenia is associated with a genetic polymorphism influencing glycogen synthase kinase 3-? activity. Genes Brain Behav. 2010;9:365-71 pubmed publisher..These results support the interest for GSK3-beta as a factor affecting neuropathology in major behavioural disorders, such as schizophrenia, and thus as a possible target for treatment. ..
- Benedetti F, Colombo C, Pirovano A, Marino E, Smeraldi E. The catechol-O-methyltransferase Val(108/158)Met polymorphism affects antidepressant response to paroxetine in a naturalistic setting. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009;203:155-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the hypothesis that factors affecting catecholaminergic neurotransmission might contribute to shape the individual response to antidepressants. ..