Genomes and Genes
San Raffaele Scientific Institute
Organization: San Raffaele Scientific Institute
- XELIRI or FOLFIRI as salvage therapy in advanced pancreatic cancerStefano Cereda
Department of Oncology, S Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Anticancer Res 30:4785-90. 2010..More than half of patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma (PA) are candidates for further treatment when they experience upfront treatment failure...
- Definition, diagnosis, and management of intravascular large B-cell lymphoma: proposals and perspectives from an international consensus meetingMaurilio Ponzoni
Unit of Lymphoma Malignancies, Pathology and Oncology Units, Department of Oncology, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
J Clin Oncol 25:3168-73. 2007..Finally, a provisional practical diagnostic approach to hemophagocytosis-associated patients and a proposal for the most useful criteria in the settings of differential diagnosis are included...
- Taxonic structure of schizotypal personality in nonclinical subjects: Issues of replicability and age consistencyAndrea Fossati
Vita Salute San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy
Psychiatry Res 152:103-12. 2007..These findings support the hypothesis of the taxonic structure of schizotypal personality in adult subjects, but they raise questions concerning the identification of schizotypy in younger samples...
- Frequency of slow coronary flow following successful stent implantation and effect of NitroprussideFlavio Airoldi
San Raffaele Hospital IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Am J Cardiol 99:916-20. 2007..In conclusion, the standardized protocol of intracoronary NTP administration succeeded in normalizing SCF in all patients with AMI but in only 5 of 9 patients with SVG stenosis. This latter subgroup requires other therapeutic strategies...
- Treatment of status epilepticus in adults: guidelines of the Italian League against EpilepsyFabio Minicucci
Clinical Neurophysiology, San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 47:9-15. 2006..In refractory SE, general anesthesia may be required. Propofol and thiopental represent first line agents in this setting, after careful assessment of potential risks and benefits...
- Movement-related event-related desynchronization in neuropsychiatric disordersLetizia Leocani
Department of Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology and Neurorehabilitation, University Vita Salute, Scientific Institute Hospital San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Prog Brain Res 159:351-66. 2006..Further studies are needed in order to validate the usefulness of this methodology in the assessment of the single patient for diagnosis and monitoring of the natural course of the disease and of treatment efficacy...
- "Technological" approach versus clamp crushing technique for hepatic parenchymal transection: a comparative studyLuca Aldrighetti
Department of Surgery Liver Unit, Scientific Institute H San Raffaele, Vita Salute San Raffaele University School of Medicine, Via Olgettina, 60 20132 Milan, Italy
J Gastrointest Surg 10:974-9. 2006..001). The combined use of UD with HS allows liver resection to be safely performed, with the advantage of reducing blood losses and surgery-related complications. The only major disadvantage may be a longer transection time...
- Minimally invasive mitral valve repair as a routine approach in selected patientsLucia Torracca
Department of Cardiac Surgery, San Raffaele University Hospital, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 7:57-60. 2006..To report our experience with minimally invasive mitral valve repair...
- Different intracellular pathomechanisms produce diverse Myelin Protein Zero neuropathies in transgenic miceLawrence Wrabetz
DIBIT, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, 20132 Milan, Italy
J Neurosci 26:2358-68. 2006..This is the first evidence for UPR in association with neuropathy and provides a model to determine whether and how mutant proteins can provoke demyelination from outside of myelin...
- Does quantitative assessment of asymptomatic mitral regurgitation predict patients' outcomes?Ottavio Alfieri
Department of Cardiac Surgery, San Raffaele University Hospital, Milan, Italy
Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 2:336-7. 2005
- Cross-sectional assessment of the effect of kidney and kidney-pancreas transplantation on resting left ventricular energy metabolism in type 1 diabetic-uremic patients: a phosphorous-31 magnetic resonance spectroscopy studyGianluca Perseghin
Division of Internal Medicine Section of Nutrition Metabolism, Universita Vita e Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
J Am Coll Cardiol 46:1085-92. 2005....
- Study on mutations and antiretroviral therapy (SMART): preliminary resultsN Gianotti
Division of Infectious Diseases, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Antivir Ther 4:65-9. 1999....
- The effect-site concentration of remifentanil blunting cardiovascular responses to tracheal intubation and skin incision during bispectral index-guided propofol anesthesiaAndrea Albertin
Department of Anesthesiology, IRCCS H San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
Anesth Analg 101:125-30, table of contents. 2005....
- Immunological patterns identifying disease course and evolution in multiple sclerosis patientsRoberto Furlan
Neuroimmunology Unit, San Raffaele, Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milan, Italy
J Neuroimmunol 165:192-200. 2005....
- Simultaneous integrated boost (SIB) for nasopharynx cancer with helical tomotherapy. A planning studyClaudio Fiorino
Medical Physics, S Raffaele Institute, Milano, Italy
Strahlenther Onkol 183:497-505. 2007..To explore the potential of helical tomotherapy (HT) in the treatment of nasopharynx cancer...
- Prosthetic joint replacement for long bone metastases: analysis of 154 casesF Camnasio
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 128:787-93. 2008..In selected cases the resection of a single bone metastasis may improve the survival of the patients. Our experience with bone metastases located in the appendicular skeleton, between 1992 and 2004, is retrospectively reviewed here...
- From normal to clonal B cells: Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) at the crossroad between neoplasia and autoimmunityPaolo Ghia
Unit of Lymphoid Malignancies, Department of Oncology, Università Vita Salute San Raffaele and Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Autoimmun Rev 7:127-31. 2007..The crucial issues have become to what extent this deleterious binding capacity is central to the natural history of the disease and how it relates to the malignant transformation of the cell...
- Adjuvant role for cell death during chemo- and radiotherapy of cancer?Patrizia Rovere Querini
Laboratory of Clinical Immunology, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, DIBIT 3A1, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milano, Italy
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 4:27-32. 2008..Larger studies on various therapeutic regimens are needed to evaluate the general relevance of this observation...
- Recent advances in iron metabolism and related disordersClara Camaschella
Università Vita Salute e IRCCS San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 60, Milan, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 5:393-400. 2010..In the future, these advances may be exploited for a more effective treatment of both genetic and acquired iron disorders...
- High-grade endometrial cancer: value of [(18)F]FDG PET/CT in preoperative stagingMaria Picchio
Department of Nuclear Medicine, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Nucl Med Commun 31:506-12. 2010..The purpose of this study was to assess the value of 2-[F]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography ([F]FDG PET/CT) in the primary staging of high-risk endometrial cancer patients...
- Lack of replication of KIF1B gene in an Italian primary progressive multiple sclerosis cohortF Martinelli-Boneschi
Department of Neurology, Institute of Experimental Neurology INSPE, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Eur J Neurol 17:740-5. 2010....
- Complete right atrial ablation with bipolar radiofrequencyStefano Benussi
Division of Cardiac Surgery, S Raffaele University Hospital, Milan, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 87:1573-6. 2009..Normally, unipolar devices are used to complete the tricuspid connecting lines. We describe a simple technique to achieve a complete maze-like set of right ablations using a standard bipolar radiofrequency device...
- Liver resection with portal vein thrombectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma with vascular invasionLuca Aldrighetti
Department of Surgery Liver Unit, Scientific Institute San Raffaele, Vita Salute San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 16:1254. 2009..In surgically resected series, in patients with gross PVTT (PVTT in the portal trunk, its first-order branch, or its second-order branch), the 3-year and 5-year survival rates are reportedly 15% to 28% and 0% to 17%, respectively...
- Leishmania infection can hamper immune recovery in virologically suppressed HIV-infected patientsNicola Gianotti
Division of Infectious Diseases, IRCCS San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
New Microbiol 31:435-8. 2008..A new drop in CD4+ cell count was observed when Leishmania DNA turned out again to be positive, but treatment with liposomal amphotericin-B restored immune recovery...
- Gly460Trp alpha-adducin mutation as a possible mechanism leading to endolymphatic hydrops in Ménière's syndromeRoberto Teggi
ENT Department, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Vita Salute University San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Otol Neurotol 29:824-8. 2008..ADD1 Gly460Trp polymorphism is associated with salt-sensitive hypertension and increased Na-K pump activity in transfected cells. This study aims to verify the role of adducin in the development of MD...
- Vascular involvement in periampullary tumors: MDCT, EUS, and CDUS Gusmini
Department of Radiology, Vita Salute University, San Raffale Hospital, Milan, Italy
Abdom Imaging 34:514-22. 2009....
- Recurrence of mitral regurgitation parallels the absence of left ventricular reverse remodeling after mitral repair in advanced dilated cardiomyopathyMichele De Bonis
Department of Cardiac Surgery, San Raffaele University Hospital, Milan, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 85:932-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to assess the occurrence of reverse left ventricular (LV) remodeling after effective mitral valve repair in advanced dilated cardiomyopathy and its impact on clinical outcome and repair durability...
- Surgical methods to reverse left ventricular remodelingMichele De Bonis
Department of Cardiac Surgery, San Raffaele University Hospital, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milano, Italy
Curr Heart Fail Rep 4:214-20. 2007..This review discusses indications, results, and limitations of the most common surgical methods currently used to arrest or reverse cardiac remodeling...
- Prospective multicenter quality assessment of endotherapy of biliary stones: does center volume matter?E Masci
Gastroenterology and Endoscopic Unit, S Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
Endoscopy 39:1076-81. 2007..To study the effectiveness of endoscopic treatment for biliary stones in a large case list of patients treated in units with different experience and different workloads in a region of northern Italy...
- Early renal dysfunctions in type 1 diabetes and pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathyGianpaolo Zerbini
Renal Pathophysiology Unit, Section for Nutrition Metabolism, Department of Medicine, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan Italy
J Nephrol 20:S19-22. 2007..Whatever the case, tight glucose control from the very first days of disease seems to be the only established therapy to prevent future complications in type 1 diabetes...
- Magnetic resonance techniques for the in vivo assessment of multiple sclerosis pathology: consensus report of the white matter study groupMassimo Filippi
Neuroimaging Research Unit, Department of Neurology, Scientific Institute and University Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
J Magn Reson Imaging 21:669-75. 2005..Both of these steps are central to the design of future treatment strategies aimed at limiting the functional consequences of the most disabling aspects of this disease...
- Neuroferritinopathy: a neurodegenerative disorder associated with L-ferritin mutationSonia Levi
Department of Biological and Technological Research, IRCCS H San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 58, Milano, 20132 Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 18:265-76. 2005..The results indicate that the mutations affect protein folding and stability, and that the expression of one of the two variant ferritins increases intracellular iron availability and sensitivity to oxidative damage...
- Lung resection for cancer in patients with coronary arterial disease: analysis of short-term resultsPaola Ciriaco
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Scientific Institute H San Raffaele, Vita Salute San Raffaele University, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:35-40. 2002..The aim of this study was to analyze the results of lung resection in patients with coronary arterial disease in terms of operative complications and hospital stay...
- Tryptophan hydroxylase gene associated with paroxetine antidepressant activityA Serretti
Department of Psychiatry, Vita Salute University, San Raffaele Institute, Via Stamira D Ancona 20 20127 Milan, Italy
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 11:375-80. 2001..TPH gene variants are therefore a possible modulator of paroxetine antidepressant activity...
- Evolution of the E2 region of hepatitis C virus in an infant infected by mother-to-infant transmissionG Sitia
Infectious Diseases Department, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
J Med Virol 64:476-81. 2001..Changes in the dominant strain and evolution of the pattern of quasispecies in the infant from the 10th month of age were possibly due to the immune selection of escape mutants...
- Molecular basis of inherited spastic paraplegiasG Casari
Human Molecular Genetics Unit, Stem Cells Research Institute SCRI, Dibit San Raffaele Hospital, Via Olgettina 58, 20132, Milan, Italy
Curr Opin Genet Dev 11:336-42. 2001..Both proteins harbour a common ATPase domain that expresses a chaperone function. Paraplegin is a nuclear-encoded mitochondrial metalloprotease, while the exact role and subcellular localisation of spastin are still unclear...
- Effect of early interferon treatment on conversion to definite multiple sclerosis: a randomised studyG Comi
Multiple Sclerosis Centre, Department of Neuroscience, IRCCS Ospedale S Raffaele, Via Olgettina 60, 20132, Milan, Italy
Lancet 357:1576-82. 2001..We assessed the effect of interferon beta-1a on the occurrence of relapses in patients after first presentation with neurological events, who are at high risk of conversion to clinically definite multiple sclerosis...
- [Complications of multiple transrectal ultrasound-guided biopsy of the prostate]M Raber
Divisione di Urologia, Istituto Scientifico Ospedale San Raffaele, Milano
Arch Ital Urol Androl 72:249-53. 2000..In conclusion, whole complication rate is high, but the incidence of major complications is very low. The complications that need out-patient treatment are limited and acceptable...
- Right hepatic artery indwelling catheter for adjuvant chemotherapy after right hepatectomyL Aldrighetti
Department of Surgery, Scientific Institute H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Hepatogastroenterology 47:1264-5. 2000....
- Small-dose clonidine prolongs postoperative analgesia after sciatic-femoral nerve block with 0.75% ropivacaine for foot surgeryA Casati
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Milan, Italy
Anesth Analg 91:388-92. 2000..75% ropivacaine prolongs the duration of postoperative analgesia by 3 h, with only a slight and short-lived increase in the degree of sedation and no hemodynamic adverse effects...
- Four-year follow-up study of sertraline and fluvoxamine in long-term treatment of unipolar subjects with high recurrence rateL Franchini
Istituto Scientifico H San Raffaele, Department of Neuropsychiatric Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Milan, Via Prinetti 29, 20127, Milan, Italy
J Affect Disord 58:233-6. 2000..During the fourth year no patients showed new episodes of illness...
- CCR5-reactive antibodies in seronegative partners of HIV-seropositive individuals down-modulate surface CCR5 in vivo and neutralize the infectivity of R5 strains of HIV-1 In vitroL Lopalco
Department of Biological and Technological Research and Infectious Diseases Clinic, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milano, Italy
J Immunol 164:3426-33. 2000..These results contribute to clarifying the phenomenon of immunologic resistance to HIV and may have implications for the development of a protective vaccine...
- Hereditary surfactant protein B deficiency resulting from a novel mutationM Somaschini
Divisione di Patologia Neonatale, Ospedali Riuniti di Bergamo, Bergamo, Italy
Intensive Care Med 26:97-100. 2000..Hereditary SP-B deficiency is a rare, newly diagnosable and probably under-recognized disease, which should be suspected in term newborn infants with unexplained respiratory failure...
- Changes in the normal appearing brain tissue and cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosisM Filippi
Neuroimaging Research Unit, Department of Neuroscience, Scientific Institute Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 68:157-61. 2000....
- Dual role of TNF-alpha in NK/LAK cell-mediated lysis of chronically HIV-infected U1 cells. Concomitant enhancement of HIV expression and sensitization of cell-mediated lysisC Fortis
Laboratory of Clinical Immunology, Division of Infectious Diseases, Centro San Luigi, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milano, Italy
Eur J Immunol 29:3654-62. 1999..Of interest, anti-TNF-alpha Ab protected U1 cells from LAK cell activity. Thus, TNF-alpha can induce HIV expression from chronically infected U1 cells, but also plays an important role in sensitizing these cells to lysis...
- Anticipation of age at onset of obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorders in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorderMaria Cristina Cavallini
Department of Neuropsychiatric Sciences, Università Vita Salute Ospedale San Raffaele, via Stamira D Ancona, 20127, Milan, Italy
Psychiatry Res 111:1-9. 2002..Drawing on the results, we hypothesised that the presence of anticipation in OCD and OC spectrum disorders could be due to a specific genetic effect (unstable DNA), as it has been hypothesised for other disorders showing this effect...
- Advances in gene therapy for ADA-deficient SCIDAlessandro Aiuti
San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy, 20132 Milan, Italy
Curr Opin Mol Ther 4:515-22. 2002..These results have important implications for future applications of gene therapy in other disorders involving the hemapoietic system...
- Chemokines as natural HIV antagonistsAlessia Verani
Unit of Human Virology, DIBIT San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina n 58, 20132 Milano, Italy
Curr Mol Med 2:691-702. 2002....
- Endoscopic ultrasonography: impact in diagnosis, staging and management of pancreatic tumors. An overviewPaolo Giorgio Arcidiacono
Division of Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Vita-Salute San Raffaele University-San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
JOP 5:247-52. 2004
- Genetic features of antidepressant induced mania and hypo-mania in bipolar disorderAlessandro Serretti
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Vita Salute University San Raffaele, Via Stamira d Ancona 20, 20127 Milan, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 174:504-11. 2004..The present study investigated possible genetic association between some polymorphisms possibly involved in antidepressant response and the occurrence of manic or hypo-manic switches during antidepressant treatment...
- Total intravenous anesthesia, spinal anesthesia or combined sciatic-femoral nerve block for outpatient knee arthroscopyA Casati
Department of Anesthesiology, IRCCS San Raffaele Hospital, Vita et Salute University, Milan, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 70:493-502. 2004..The aim of this study was to compare efficacy, efficiency and surgeon's satisfaction of total intravenous anesthesia with propofol and remifentanil with those of spinal or peripheral nerve blocks for outpatient knee arthroscopy...
- Overall clinical outcomes after nerve and seminal sparing radical cystectomy for the treatment of organ confined bladder cancerRenzo Colombo
Department of Urology, University Vita Salute San Raffaele, Scientific Institute H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
J Urol 171:1819-22; discussion 1822. 2004....
- New antipsychotics and schizophrenia: a review on efficacy and side effectsAlessandro Serretti
Department of Psychiatry, Vita Salute University, San Raffaele Institute, Milan, Italy
Curr Med Chem 11:343-58. 2004....
- Precise oculomotor correlates of visuospatial mental rotation and circular motion imageryClaudio de'Sperati
Visuo Motor Functions Lab, Universita Vita Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
J Cogn Neurosci 15:1244-59. 2003....
- Bhlhb5 is expressed in the CNS and sensory organs during mouse embryonic developmentSilvia Brunelli
Stem Cell Research Institute, DiBiT HSR, Via Olgettina 58, 20132, Milan, Italy
Gene Expr Patterns 3:755-9. 2003..In addition Bhlhb5 is expressed in the developing eye and hair follicles, in the epithelial layer of the cochlea in the developing inner, and in the nasal epithelium...
- A randomized study of prophylactic catheter ablation in asymptomatic patients with the Wolff-Parkinson-White syndromeCarlo Pappone
Department of Cardiology, Electrophysiology and Cardiac Pacing Unit, San Raffaele University Hospital, Milan, Italy
N Engl J Med 349:1803-11. 2003..We tested the hypothesis that prophylactic catheter ablation of accessory pathways would provide meaningful and durable benefits as compared with no treatment in such patients...
- Interactions between nitric oxide and sphingolipids and the potential consequences in physiology and pathologyEmilio Clementi
Department of Pharmaco-Biology, University of Calabria, 87036 Rende, Italy
Trends Pharmacol Sci 24:518-23. 2003
- Impact of advanced age on the outcome of liver resectionLuca Aldrighetti
Department of Surgery Liver Unit, Scientific Institute H San Raffaele, Vita Salute San Raffaele University School of Medicine, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
World J Surg 27:1149-54. 2003..Postoperative morbidity was higher in Y-group than in O-group (21.6% versus 9.4%, p = 0.2). In conclusion, the age factor does not negatively affect the outcome of liver resections...
- Effect of low-dose transdermal E2/NETA on the reduction of postmenopausal bone loss in womenAlessandro Rubinacci
Bone Metabolic Unit, Scientific Institute, San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
Menopause 10:241-9. 2003..To assess the efficacy of a continuous-combined transdermal patch (estradiol/ norethisterone acetate [E(2)/NETA] 25/125; Estragest TTS, Novartis, Basel, Switzerland) in the reduction of bone loss in postmenopausal women...
- T lymphocytesMonica Fabbri
Unit of Leukocyte Biology, Vita Salute San Raffaele University School of Medicine, DIBIT Scientific Institute San Raffaele, Via Olgettina, 58, 20132 Milano, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 35:1004-8. 2003..T cells are involved in the pathogenesis of several human disorders, resulting from their defective or dysregulated function. The former leads to a severe state of immunodeficiency, the latter to organ-specific or systemic autoimmunity...
- Demyelination and cortical reorganization: functional MRI data from a case of subacute combined degenerationMassimo Filippi
Neuroimaging Research Unit, Department of Neuroscience, Scientific Institute and University Ospedale San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
Neuroimage 18:558-63. 2003..This multiparametric magnetic resonance study of a patient with an early diagnosis of subacute combined degeneration suggests that demyelination alone does not necessarily induce adaptive functional changes of the cerebral cortex...
- Gluconeogenesis in isolated rat hepatocytes evaluated by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry using deuterated waterL Arnoldi
IRCCS San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
J Mass Spectrom 33:444-52. 1998....
- Laminin receptors and signals in Schwann cellsMARIA FELTRI; Fiscal Year: 2007..The information produced by these experiments will collectively form a basis for developing treatment stategies of MDC1A, CMT4F and other hereditary neuropathies, and to promote nerve regeneration and remyelination in all neuropathies. ..
- Dissecting the Molecular Basis of Ocular Albinism type 1Maria Vittoria Schiaffino; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Laminin receptors and signals in Schwann cellsMARIA FELTRI; Fiscal Year: 2006..The information produced by these experiments will collectively form a basis for developing treatment strategies of CMD and other hereditary neuropathies, and to promote nerve regeneration and remyelination in all neuropathies. ..
- Laminin receptors and signals in Schwann cellsMARIA L FELTRI; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- HIV-Associated Dementia and the Urokinase Plasminogen Activation SystemPaola Cinque; Fiscal Year: 2007..Although expected findings will be only correlative, these might represent the basis for functional studies in other models and evaluation of new therapeutic strategies. ..