Affiliation: Sacro Cuore Hospital
- African trypanosomiasis gambiense, ItalyZeno Bisoffi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, Sacro Cuore Hospital of Negrar, Verona, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1745-7. 2005..Theses cases suggest an increased risk for expatriates working in trypanosomiasis-endemic countries. Travel medicine clinics should be increasingly aware of this potentially fatal disease...
- Rapid malaria diagnostic tests vs. clinical management of malaria in rural Burkina Faso: safety and effect on clinical decisions. A randomized trialZeno Bisoffi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, Sacro Cuore Hospital, Negrar Verona, Italy
Trop Med Int Health 14:491-8. 2009....
- Imported malaria in immigrants to Italy: a changing pattern observed in north eastern ItalyMarta Mascarello
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
J Travel Med 16:317-21. 2009..Nevertheless, premunition could be progressively lost after a long period of nonexposure. We investigated the changing pattern of malaria in immigrants in two definite 5-year periods one decade apart...
- Diagnosis of Malaria Infection with or without DiseaseZeno Bisoffi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, Ospedale Sacro Cuore, Negrar Verona, Italy
Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis 4:e2012036. 2012..Research should focus on very sensitive tools for infection on one side, and on improved tools for clinical management on the other, including biomarkers of clinical malaria and/or of alternative causes of fever...
- Should malaria treatment be guided by a point of care rapid test? A threshold approach to malaria management in rural Burkina FasoZeno Bisoffi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, S Cuore Hospital, Negrar, Verona, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e58019. 2013..The test threshold is the tradeoff between refraining and testing, the test-treatment threshold is the tradeoff between testing and treating. Only if the disease probability lies between the two should the test be used...
- Malaria chemoprophylaxis recommendations for immigrants to Europe, visiting relatives and friends--a Delphi method studyGuido Calleri
Amedeo di Savoia Hospital, Department of Infectious Diseases, Travel Medicine Unit, Corso Svizzera 164, 10149 Torino, Italy
Malar J 10:137. 2011..Most recommendations for malaria chemoprophylaxis lack a solid evidence base, and often fail to address the cultural, social and economic needs of VFRs...
- Malaria prophylaxis policy for travellers from Europe to the Indian SubcontinentR H Behrens
Hospital for Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Malar J 5:7. 2006..The group recommended non-selective prescribing of chemoprophylaxis for visitors to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka should be dropped...
- Epidemiology and clinical features of vivax malaria imported to Europe: sentinel surveillance data from TropNetEuropN Mühlberger
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Malar J 3:5. 2004..vivax malaria are limited. The TropNetEurop surveillance network has monitored the importation of vivax malaria into Europe since 1999...
- Randomized clinical trial on ivermectin versus thiabendazole for the treatment of strongyloidiasisZeno Bisoffi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, S Cuore Hospital, Negrar Verona, Italy
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1254. 2011..Direct parasitologic exams are not sensitive enough to prove cure if negative. We used an indirect immune fluorescent antibody test (IFAT) along with direct methods for patient inclusion and efficacy assessment...
- Strict adherence to malaria rapid test results might lead to a neglect of other dangerous diseases: a cost benefit analysis from Burkina FasoZeno Bisoffi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, S, Cuore Hospital, Negrar Verona, Italy
Malar J 10:226. 2011..This paper aims at determining the costs and benefits of two competing strategies for the management of MAF: presumptive treatment for all or use of RDTs...
- Accuracy of a rapid diagnostic test on the diagnosis of malaria infection and of malaria-attributable fever during low and high transmission season in Burkina FasoZeno Bisoffi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, S, Cuore Hospital, 37024 Negrar, Verona, Italy
Malar J 9:192. 2010..This study aims at estimating the accuracy of a RDT for the diagnosis of both malaria infection and malaria - attributable fever, in a region of Burkina Faso with a typically seasonal malaria transmission pattern...
- Malaria clusters among illegal Chinese immigrants to Europe through AfricaZeno Bisoffi
Centro per le Malattie Tropicali, Ospedale S Cuore, Negrar, Verona, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 9:1177-8. 2003..A further cluster of 12 was reported in August, 2002. Several immigrants traveled by air, making the risk of introducing sudden acute respiratory syndrome a possibility should such illegal immigrations continue...
- Acute strongyloidiasis in Italian tourists returning from Southeast AsiaAndrea Angheben
Centre for Tropical Diseases, Hospital S Cuore Don Calabria, Negrar, Italy
J Travel Med 18:138-40. 2011..This paper describes two cases of acute strongyloidiasis in travelers returning from Southeast Asia and highlights the need to take strongyloidiasis into account also among acute travel-related illnesses...
- Severe strongyloidiasis: a systematic review of case reportsDora Buonfrate
Centre for Tropical Diseases CTD, Sacro Cuore Hospital, Negrar, Verona, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 13:78. 2013..We carried out a review of literature on hyperinfection syndrome (HS) and disseminated strongyloidiasis (DS), in order to describe the most challenging aspects of severe strongyloidiasis...
- Imported malaria in adults and children: epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 380 consecutive cases observed in Verona, ItalyMarta Mascarello
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
J Travel Med 15:229-36. 2008....
- Coccidioidomycosis: first imported case in ItalyFederico Gobbi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, Hospital Sacro Cuore Don Calabria, Negrar, Verone, Italy
J Travel Med 19:192-4. 2012..This disease should enter in the differential diagnosis of any febrile patient (especially if presenting with pulmonary symptoms, with or without hypereosinophilia) coming from Coccidioides immitis endemic areas...
- Autochthonous cases of mycetoma in Europe: report of two cases and review of literatureDora Buonfrate
Center for Tropical Diseases CTD, Sacro Cuore Hospital, Negrar, Verona, Italy
PLoS ONE 9:e100590. 2014....
- Case report: Loiasis with peripheral nerve involvement and spleen lesionsFederico Gobbi
Centro per le Malattie Tropicali, Ospedale Sacro Cuore Don Calabria, Negrar, Verona, Italy
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:733-7. 2011..More information is needed to better characterize the protean manifestations of the disease in loiasis-endemic areas to evaluate the true incidence of loiasis...
- Evaluation of an indirect immunofluorescence assay for strongyloidiasis as a tool for diagnosis and follow-upMarina Boscolo
Centre for Tropical Diseases, Sacro Cuore Hospital, Via Sempreboni 5, 37024, Negrar, Verona, Italy
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:129-33. 2007..A titer of > or = 1:80, with virtually no false-positive result, is a reliable cutoff for a serological assessment of treatment efficacy and for inclusion in clinical trials...
- Diagnostic Accuracy of Five Serologic Tests for Strongyloides stercoralis InfectionZeno Bisoffi
Center for Tropical Diseases CTD, Sacro Cuore Hospital, Negrar, Verona, Italy Coordinating Resources to Assess and Improve Health Status of Migrants from Latin America COHEMI Project Study Group, European Commission, Health Cooperation Work Programme, FP7 GA 261495
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 8:e2640. 2014..Serological methods are believed to be more sensitive, although assessing their accuracy is difficult because of the lack of sensitivity of a fecal-based reference ("gold") standard...
- Failure of malaria chemoprophylaxis with mefloquine in an oversize traveller to MozambiqueFederico Gobbi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, Sacro Cuore Don Calabria Hospital, Verona, Negrar, Italy
Malar J 12:451. 2013..This case seems to be attributed to mefloquine resistance, however it is suggested that mefloquine dosage should be modulated by body weight, as is already indicated by some authorities. ..
- Surveillance for West Nile, dengue, and chikungunya virus infections, Veneto Region, Italy, 2010Federico Gobbi
Ospedale Sacro Cuore Don Calabria, Negrar, Verona, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 18:671-3. 2012..Surveillance highlighted the need to modify case definitions, train physicians, and when a case is identified, implement vector control measures...
- Imported strongyloidiasis: epidemiology, presentations, and treatmentDora Buonfrate
Centre for Tropical Diseases CTD, Sacro Cuore Hospital, Via Sempreboni 5, Negrar, Verona, Italy
Curr Infect Dis Rep 14:256-62. 2012..In fact, delayed diagnosis and treatment has life-threatening consequences in patients with conditions predisposing to development of hyperinfection and dissemination...
- Human and entomological surveillance of West Nile fever, dengue and chikungunya in Veneto Region, Italy, 2010-2012Federico Gobbi
Centre for Tropical Diseases, Sacro Cuore Don Calabria Hospital, Negrar, Verona, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 14:60. 2014..ii) To detect autochthonous cases of WNF, besides those of West Nile Neuroinvasive Disease (WNND) that were already included in a national surveillance...
- Sickle cell disease and hyperreactive malarial splenomegaly (HMS) in young immigrants from AfricaLucia De Franceschi
Blood 106:4415-7. 2005
- Cluster of African trypanosomiasis in travelers to Tanzanian national parksTomas Jelinek
Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 8:634-5. 2002..The outbreak was detected through TropNetEurop, a sentinel surveillance network of clinical sites throughout Europe...
- Respiratory syndrome and respiratory tract infections in foreign-born and national travelers hospitalized with fever in ItalyAlberto Matteelli
Institute of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Brescia, Italy
J Travel Med 12:190-6. 2005....
- Mefloquine versus quinine plus sulphalene-pyrimethamine (metakelfin) for treatment of uncomplicated imported falciparum malaria acquired in AfricaAlberto Matteelli
Institute of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Brescia, Brescia 25125, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:663-7. 2005..007). The overall proportions of reported side effects were similar in the two groups, but patients in the M group had a significantly higher rate of central nervous system disturbances (29.0% versus 9.6% for the QSP group; P < 0.001)...
- Screening for mutations related to atovaquone/proguanil resistance in treatment failures and other imported isolates of Plasmodium falciparum in EuropeOle Wichmann
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
J Infect Dis 190:1541-6. 2004..However, little is known about the prevalence of codon-268 mutations and their quantitative association with treatment failure...
- Diagnosing human African trypanosomiasis in Angola using a card agglutination test: observational study of active and passive case finding strategiesWalter O Inojosa
CUAMM Angola and Angotrip Project, Caritas, Luanda, Angola
BMJ 332:1479. 2006..To assess the operational feasibility of detecting human African trypanosomiasis by active and passive case finding using the card agglutination test with serial dilution of serum to guide treatment...
- Imported Chikungunya Infection, ItalyAnna Beltrame
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1264-6. 2007
- Costs of treating malaria according to test resultsZeno Bisoffi
BMJ 336:168-9. 2008