Affiliation: Politecnico di Milano
- Sodium currents activate without a Hodgkin-and-Huxley-type delay in central mammalian neuronsGytis Baranauskas
Psychiatric Institute, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Neurosci 26:671-84. 2006..This model captures all major properties of the sodium current activation. In addition, the proposed model reproduces the observed action potential shape more accurately than the traditional HH model...
- Ionic channel function in action potential generation: current perspectiveGytis Baranauskas
Department of Materials Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Via Mancinelli 7, Milan, 20131, Italy
Mol Neurobiol 35:129-50. 2007..This review shows that details of kinetics of both sodium and outward potassium currents differ significantly from the classical descriptions and these differences may be of functional significance...
- Na/K ATPase activity is coordinated with the persistent sodium current amplitudeGytis Baranauskas
Psychiatric Institute, University of Illinois, West Taylor Street, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Neuroreport 21:469-73. 2010..62, P<0.002). It is speculated that such coordination may improve the control of the firing patterns in prefrontal cortex pyramidal neurons...
- Cell-type-specific splicing of KChIP4 mRNA correlates with slower kinetics of A-type currentGytis Baranauskas
Department of Psychiatry, Psychiatric Institute, 1601 W Taylor St, Room 330 W, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Eur J Neurosci 20:385-91. 2004..Moreover, deactivation rates at -100 mV were slower in BF and GP cells than in StrI and HIP neurons as expected, owing to the presence KChIP4A in BF and GP neurons. These data are consistent with our initial hypothesis...
- Flufenamic acid decreases neuronal excitability through modulation of voltage-gated sodium channel gatingHau Jie Yau
Department of Physiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 303 E Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Physiol 588:3869-82. 2010..Simulation data support the idea that FFA acts via a novel mechanism by reducing the voltage dependence of the sodium channel fast inactivation rates. These effects of FFA suggest that it may be an effective anti-epileptic drug...
- Kv3.4 subunits enhance the repolarizing efficiency of Kv3.1 channels in fast-spiking neuronsGytis Baranauskas
Department of Physiology, Feinberg School of Medicine, 303 E Chicago Ave, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Nat Neurosci 6:258-66. 2003..These results suggest that manipulation of K3.4 subunit expression could be a useful means of controlling the dynamic range of FS neurons...
- Differential contribution of plasmalemmal Na/Ca exchange isoforms to sodium-dependent calcium influx and NMDA excitotoxicity in depolarized neuronsLech Kiedrowski
The Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, The University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Neurochem 90:117-28. 2004..The data suggest that the high activity of NCX isoforms expressed in FNs, possibly NCX1, sensitizes these neurons to NMDA excitotoxicity...
- Instrumental role of Na+ in NMDA excitotoxicity in glucose-deprived and depolarized cerebellar granule cellsAneta Czyz
The Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, The University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
J Neurochem 81:379-89. 2002..Since under these conditions Na/Ca exchange extrudes Ca2+, its inhibition destabilizes Ca2+ homeostasis...