- Renal transplant recipients are at high risk for both symptomatic and asymptomatic deep vein thrombosisD Poli
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Thrombosis Centre, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Careggi, Viale Morgagni 85, 50134 Florence, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 4:988-92. 2006..Venous thromboembolism (VTE) is one of the thrombotic complications that can occur in patients receiving renal transplantation (RT). The prevalence of VTE in RT patients is, however, undefined...
- [Antiphospholipid syndrome and venous thromboembolism: the role of congenital thrombophilia]Daniela Poli
Dipartimento del Cuore e dei Vasi, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Careggi di Firenze
Ann Ital Med Int 20:218-23. 2005..The new insights into the diagnosis of inherited thrombophilia could allow a better evaluation of the thrombotic risk, leading to tailor the prophylactic strategy...
- Culprit factors for the failure of well-conducted warfarin therapy to prevent ischemic events in patients with atrial fibrillation: the role of homocysteineDaniela Poli
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Thrombosis Centre, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Careggi, Florence, Italy
Stroke 36:2159-63. 2005..In this study, we prospectively investigated the role of classic risk factors and homocysteine levels in the occurrence of ischemic complications in 364 AF patients on OAT...
- Management of oral anticoagulant therapy in the real practice of an anticoagulation clinic: focus on atrial fibrillationDaniela Poli
Thrombosis Center, Department of Medical and Surgical Critical Care, University of Florence, Azienda Ospedaliera Careggi, Italy
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 16:491-4. 2005..01, respectively). NVAF patients on OAT show a low rate of complications. However, females show a trend to higher risk of bleeding complications and suffered more frequently from stroke with respect to males in spite of therapy...
- Clotting activation after oral anticoagulant therapy discontinuation: a risk factor for recurrent venous thromboembolismDaniela Poli
Dipartimento di Area Critica Medico Chirurgica, Centro Trombosi, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Careggi, Florence, Italy
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 15:221-5. 2004..The results of this study confirm clotting activation after OAT discontinuation and suggest that higher F1 + 2 plasma levels are an independent risk factor for VTE recurrence...
- Thrombophilic mutations in high-risk atrial fibrillation patients: high prevalence of prothrombin gene G20210A polymorphism and lack of correlation with thromboembolismDaniela Poli
Dipartmento di Area Critica Medico Chirurgica, Centro Trombosi, Azienda Ospedaliera Careggi V le Morgagni 85, 50134 Florence, Italy
Thromb Haemost 90:1158-62. 2003..2% and 2.9%, respectively)]. No differences were found in relation to the type of embolic event. Our results suggest a possible relationship between the presence of prothrombin gene variant and AF per se...
- Low rate of bleeding and thrombotic complications of oral anticoagulant therapy independent of age in the real-practice of an anticoagulation clinicDaniela Poli
Thrombosis Center, Department of Medical and Surgical Clinical Care, University of Florence, Azienda Ospedaliera Careggi, Viale Morgagni, 85 50134 Florence, Italy
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 14:269-75. 2003..00001) with respect to more elevated intensities of anticoagulation. A low incidence of complications may be obtained even in elderly outpatients on OAT followed at an anticoagulation clinic...
- Low incidence of hemorrhagic complications of oral anticoagulant therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation in the daily practice of an anticoagulation clinicDaniela Poli
Thrombosis Center, Department of Medical and Surgical Critical Care, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Ital Heart J 4:44-7. 2003..This study was aimed at evaluating the efficacy and safety of the management of OAT in a real-practice situation...
- Need of more frequent International Normalized Ratio monitoring in elderly patients on long-term anticoagulant therapy after influenza vaccinationD Poli
Dipartimento di Area Critica Medico Chirurgica, Centro di Riferimento Regionale per la Trombosi, Azienda Ospedaliera Careggi, Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Italy
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 13:297-300. 2002....
- Venous thromboembolism in renal transplant recipients: high rate of recurrenceM Zanazzi
Renal Unit, Thrombosis Centre, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Careggi, Firenze, Italy
Transplant Proc 37:2493-4. 2005..0001). Our data outline the high risk of recurrence in renal transplant recipients. Strategies for recurrence prevention are needed taking into account the high bleeding risk of anticoagulants in renal transplant patients...
- The role of cysteine and homocysteine in venous and arterial thrombotic diseaseR Marcucci
Dipartimento Area Critica Medico-Chirurgica, Sez. Clinica Medica Gen e Cardiologia, University of Florence, Viale Morgagni, 85, 50134 Florence, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 116:56-60. 2001..1). Our data suggest that plasma tCy levels are a risk factor for venous thrombosis and MI independently of tHcy levels and that it may be appropriate to study both variables simultaneously to thoroughly study the methionine metabolism...
- Phase III studies on novel oral anticoagulants for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: a look beyond the excellent resultsV Pengo
Department of Clinical Cardiology, Thrombosis Centre, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 10:1979-87. 2012..Apixaban significantly reduced mortality from any cause. The choice of a new oral anticoagulant should take into account these and other differences between the new drugs...
- Questions and answers on the use of dabigatran and perspectives on the use of other new oral anticoagulants in patients with atrial fibrillation. A consensus document of the Italian Federation of Thrombosis Centers (FCSA)V Pengo
Clinical Cardiology, Thrombosis Center, Padova, Italy
Thromb Haemost 106:868-76. 2011..In this report members of the board of the Italian Federation of Thrombosis Centers (FCSA) answer some questions every clinician might be confronted with...
- Standardized low-molecular-weight heparin bridging regimen in outpatients on oral anticoagulants undergoing invasive procedure or surgery: an inception cohort management studyV Pengo
Clinical Cardiology, Thrombosis Center, Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Sciences, University of Padova School of Medicine, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Circulation 119:2920-7. 2009..This prospective inception cohort management study was designed to assess the efficacy and safety of an individualized bridging protocol applied to outpatients...
- Thrombophilic risk factors in patients with central retinal vein occlusionR Marcucci
Dept Area Critica Medico Chirurgica, Thrombosis Center, Az Ospedaliera Careggi, University of Florence, Italy
Thromb Haemost 86:772-6. 2001..6-188.8; p < 0.00001) and hypercholesterolemia (OR 3.1, 95% CI 1.6-20.5; p < 0.05), were independent risk factors for CRVO. These data demonstrate a potential role of hemostatic risk factors in the pathophysiology of CRVO...
- Major bleeding in patients undergoing PCI and triple or dual antithrombotic therapy: a parallel-cohort studyG Denas
Cardiology Clinic, Thrombosis Center, University Hospital, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128, Padua, PD, Italy
J Thromb Thrombolysis 35:178-84. 2013..Any efforts to minimize these events should be pursued...
- Impact of glomerular filtration estimate on bleeding risk in very old patients treated with vitamin K antagonists. Results of EPICA study on the behalf of FCSA (Italian Federation of Anticoagulation Clinics)Daniela Poli
Thrombosis Centre Department of Heart and Vessels, AOU Careggi, Florence, Italy
Thromb Haemost 107:1100-6. 2012..Although the different available equations yield different eGFR, all appear to similarly predict the risk of major bleeding...
- Risk of recurrence in patients with pulmonary embolism: Predictive role of D-dimer and of residual perfusion defects on lung scintigraphyD Poli
Daniela Poli, MD, Centro Trombosi, Viale Morgagni, 85 50134, Firenze, Italy, Tel 39 055 7945453, Fax 39 055 7946218, E mail
Thromb Haemost 109:181-6. 2013..In conclusion, we confirmed the positive predictive value of elevated D-dimer levels for recurrent VTE. Residual PD on lung scintigraphy are neither predictive of recurrence nor related to D-dimer levels or RVO...
- Safety and effectiveness of low dose oral vitamin K1 administration in asymptomatic out-patients on warfarin or acenocoumarol with excessive anticoagulationDaniela Poli
Haematologica 88:237-8. 2003
- Increased plasma levels of lipoprotein(a) and the risk of idiopathic and recurrent venous thromboembolismRossella Marcucci
Dipartimento Area Critica Medico-Chirurgica, Clinica Medica Generale e Cardiologia, Florence, Italy
Am J Med 115:601-5. 2003..CONCLUSION: These results show that Lp(a) is an independent risk factor for venous thromboembolism in adults, suggesting that it may be involved in the pathogenesis of idiopathic and recurrent disease...
- Hyperhomocysteinemia and vitamin B6 deficiency: new risk markers for nonvalvular atrial fibrillation?Rossella Marcucci
Department of Medical and Surgical Critical Care, University of Florence, Florence Italy
Am Heart J 148:456-61. 2004..Furthermore, the role of these variables in the occurrence of ischemic events was investigated...
- Risks factors for highly unstable response to oral anticoagulation: a case-control studyGualtiero Palareti
Dipartimento di Angiologia e Malattie della Coagulazione Marino Golinelli, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Universita di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Br J Haematol 129:72-8. 2005..9% vs.15.0%; P = 0.042). No differences were observed as regards the other variables. In conclusion, we found that high intra-individual variability in OAT control was multifactorial, but poor OAT comprehension was prevalent...
- Hyperviscosity as a possible risk factor for cerebral ischemic complications in atrial fibrillation patientsEmanuele Cecchi
Dipartimento di Area Critica Medico-Chirurgica, Centro Trombosi, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Careggi, Firenze, Italy
Am J Cardiol 97:1745-8. 2006..These results should stimulate prospective studies on the role of hemorheologic alterations in the occurrence of cerebral ischemic complications in patients with AF...
- Systematic review: D-dimer to predict recurrent disease after stopping anticoagulant therapy for unprovoked venous thromboembolismMadeleine Verhovsek
McMaster University and St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 149:481-90, W94. 2008..Methods for predicting risk for recurrence may identify low-risk patients who are less likely to benefit from prolonged anticoagulation...
- Anticoagulation quality and the risk of recurrence of venous thromboembolismDaniela Poli
Thromb Haemost 98:1148-50. 2007
- Risk of bleeding in very old atrial fibrillation patients on warfarin: relationship with ageing and CHADS2 scoreDaniela Poli
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Thrombosis Centre, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Careggi, Firenze, Italy
Thromb Res 121:347-52. 2007..In atrial fibrillation (AF) patients, age >or=75 years is one of the major risk factors for stroke. However, it is not clear if an upper limit for the indication to OAT exists...
- Cardiovascular and thrombophilic risk factors in patients with retinal artery occlusionRossella Marcucci
Department of Heart and Vessels, Thrombosis Center, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Careggi, Viale Morgagni 85, 50134 Florence, Italy
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 18:321-6. 2007..Our findings may have implications for the management of these patients, suggesting the need for an intensive and tailored secondary prevention and new therapeutic approaches...
- High rate of recurrence in renal transplant recipients after a first episode of venous thromboembolismDaniela Poli
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Centro di Riferimento Regionale per la Trombosi, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Careggi, Firenze
Transplantation 80:789-93. 2005..Our study was undertaken to evaluate the risk of VTE recurrence in patients developing a first episode of VTE after RT...