Location: Rome, Italy
- Modulation of apoptosis and improved redox metabolism with the use of a new antioxidant formulaLuciana Mosca
Department of Biochemical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, P le Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 63:1305-14. 2002..The clinical potential of this strategy in the treatment of diseases with an elevated commitment to apoptosis should be explored...
- Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei B21060 suppresses human T-cell proliferationIlaria Peluso
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133 Rome, Italy
Infect Immun 75:1730-7. 2007..The data show that L. paracasei subsp. paracasei B21060 blocks T-cell growth, thus suggesting a mechanism by which these probiotics could interfere with T-cell-driven immune responses...
- Bacteria and mucosal immunityGiovanni Monteleone
Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology Unit, Tor Vergata University, Rome, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 38:S256-60. 2006..Emerging evidence also indicates that gut microflora can contribute to maintain the mucosal homeostasis by promoting the generation and/or expansion of counter-regulatory mechanisms...
- IL-21 is highly produced in Helicobacter pylori-infected gastric mucosa and promotes gelatinases synthesisRoberta Caruso
Department of Internal Medicine and Centre of Excellence for Genomic Risk Assessment in Multifactorial and Complex Diseases, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
J Immunol 178:5957-65. 2007..These data indicate that IL-21 is overexpressed in Hp-infected gastric mucosa where it could contribute to increased epithelial gelatinase production...
- Flavonoids as anti-inflammatory agentsMauro Serafini
Antioxidant Research Laboratory, INRAN, Via Ardeatina 546, 00178 Rome, Italy
Proc Nutr Soc 69:273-8. 2010..Human trials with appropriate placebo and pure flavonoid molecules are needed to clarify if flavonoids represent ancillary ingredients or key molecules involved in the anti-inflammatory properties of plant foods...
- Modulation of plasma non enzimatic antioxidant capacity (NEAC) by plant foods: the role of polyphenolsM Serafini
Antioxidant Research Laboratory at the Unit of Human Nutrition, National Institute for Food and Nutrition Research, Rome, Italy
Curr Top Med Chem 11:1821-46. 2011..The available evidence from human intervention studies on the role of plant foods as modulators of plasma/serum NEAC and the involvement of PP will be presented and critically discussed...
- High fat meal increase of IL-17 is prevented by ingestion of fruit juice drink in healthy overweight subjectsIlaria Peluso
Antioxidant Research Laboratory, INRAN Via Ardeatina 546, 00178 Rome, Italy
Curr Pharm Des 18:85-90. 2012..037). We provided, for the first time, evidence on the role of diet in modulating IL-17 production in healthy overweight subjects...
- Lymphocytes as internal standard in oxidative burst analysis by cytometry: a new data analysis approachIlaria Peluso
Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca per gli Alimenti e la Nutrizione INRAN, Rome, Italy
J Immunol Methods 379:61-5. 2012..In addition, this method is sensitive to differences in healthy subjects due to sub-pathological conditions, such as hypercholesterolemia...
- A functional role for interleukin-21 in promoting the synthesis of the T-cell chemoattractant, MIP-3alpha, by gut epithelial cellsRoberta Caruso
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Centro di Eccellenza, Studio delle Malattie Complesse e Multifattoriali, Universita Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133 Rome, Italy
Gastroenterology 132:166-75. 2007..In this study we examined whether intestinal epithelial cells express IL-21R and respond to IL-21 in IBD...
- IL-21 counteracts the regulatory T cell-mediated suppression of human CD4+ T lymphocytesIlaria Peluso
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, Rome, Italy
J Immunol 178:732-9. 2007..Data indicate that IL-21 renders human CD4(+)CD25(-) T cells resistant to Treg-mediated suppression and suggest a novel mechanism by which IL-21 could augment T cell-activated responses in human immune-inflammatory diseases...
- Intestinal motility disorder induced by free radicals: a new model mimicking oxidative stress in gutIlaria Peluso
Department of Pharmacology of Natural Substances and General Physiology, La Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Pharmacol Res 46:533-8. 2002..In conclusion, the results of the present study show that ABAP could be a useful tool to simulate early contractility dysfunctions mediated by oxidative stress...
- Role of the cholinergic system and of apamin-sensitive Ca2+-activated K+ channels on rabbit jejunum spontaneous activity and on the inhibitory effects of adrenoceptor agonistsL Romanelli
Dipartimento di Farmacologia delle Sostanze Naturali e Fisiologia Generale, University of Rome La Sapienza, University of Rome La Sapienza P le A Moro, 5 00185 Rome, Italy
Auton Autacoid Pharmacol 23:105-15. 2003..Released ACh inhibits myogenic activity and strongly antagonizes beta-adrenoceptor-induced APAM-insensitive inhibition but leaves alpha1 agonist-induced APAM-sensitive inhibition unchanged...
- Oxidant-induced pHi/Ca2+ changes in rat aortic smooth muscle cells. The role of atrial natriuretic peptideP De Vito
Department of Biology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Mol Cell Biochem 252:353-62. 2003....
- Effect on rat arterial blood pressure of chemically generated peroxyl radicals and protection by antioxidantsIlaria Peluso
Department of Pharmacology of Natural Substances and General Physiology, La Sapienza University, P le Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome, Italy
J Nutr Biochem 15:323-7. 2004..Other experiments are needed to clarify the role played by oxidative potentials on blood pressure and the mechanism of action of nutritional antioxidants...
- Control of matrix metalloproteinase production in human intestinal fibroblasts by interleukin 21G Monteleone
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133 Rome, Italy
Gut 55:1774-80. 2006..We have previously shown that, in IBD, there is high production of interleukin (IL) 21, a T cell-derived cytokine, which enhances Th1 activity...
- Protease-activated receptor-2 activation in gastric cancer cells promotes epidermal growth factor receptor trans-activation and proliferationRoberta Caruso
Department of Internal Medicine and the Centre of Excellence for Genomic Risk Assessment in Multifactorial and Complex Diseases, University Tor Vergata of Rome, Rome, Italy
Am J Pathol 169:268-78. 2006..These data show that PAR-2 is overexpressed in GC and suggest a role of PAR-2 in EGFR trans-activation and cell growth...
- 5-aminosalicylic acid enhances anchorage-independent colorectal cancer cell deathDaniele Fina
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Cattedra di Gastroenterologia, e Centro di Eccellenza per lo studio delle malattie complesse e multifattoriali, Universita Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier, 1, 00133 Rome, Italy
Eur J Cancer 42:2609-16. 2006..In contrast, the 5-ASA-mediated Colo205 cell death is preventable by Bcl-2 over-expression. These data suggest a mechanism by which 5-ASA interferes with colon carcinogenesis...
- Interleukin-12 and Th1 immune response in Crohn's disease: pathogenetic relevance and therapeutic implicationIlaria Peluso
World J Gastroenterol 12:5606-10. 2006....
- Flavonoids at the pharma-nutrition interface: Is a therapeutic index in demand?Ilaria Peluso
Food and Nutrition Center of the Agricultural Research Council CRA NUT, Via Ardeatina 546, 00178 Rome, Italy Electronic address
Biomed Pharmacother 71:102-7. 2015..However, despite more studies are needed in order to establish a therapeutic index for each flavonoid subclasses, at the moment RDA of total flavonoids could be between 250-400 mg/d, respecting the seasonality of food sources...
- Effect of cocoa products and flavanols on platelet aggregation in humans: a systematic reviewIlaria Peluso
Center of Nutrition, Council for Agricultural Research and Economics CRA NUT, Via Ardeatina 546, 00178 Rome, Italy
Food Funct 6:2128-34. 2015..On the other hand, more evidence is required in order to assess the effect of long-term cocoa product ingestion and to identify the bioactive components involved. ..
- Association of flavonoid-rich foods and statins in the management of hypercholesterolemia: a dangerous or helpful combination?Ilaria Peluso
Functional Food and Metabolic Stress Prevention Laboratory, Council for Agricultural Research and Economics CREA, Via Ardeatina 546, 00178 Rome, Italy
Curr Drug Metab 16:833-46. 2015..Therefore, the anamnesis of patients must include detailed information about their eating habits and the present review suggests monitoring and reporting any possible case of interaction between a prescribed statin and food. ..
- A new flow cytometry method to measure oxidative status: the Peroxidation of Leukocytes Index Ratio (PLIR)Ilaria Peluso
Agricultural Research Council CRA, ex National Institute for Food and Nutrition Research INRAN, Rome, Italy
J Immunol Methods 390:113-20. 2013..A complex relationship between immune system and metabolic pathway exists and can induce oxidative stress. The objective of this study was to design a new methodology allowing the measurement of oxidative status of leukocytes...
- Oxidative stress in atherosclerosis development: the central role of LDL and oxidative burstIlaria Peluso
Functional Food and Metabolic Stress Prevention Program, Agricultural Research Council CRA, ex National Institute for Food and Nutrition Research INRAN, Rome, Italy
Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 12:351-60. 2012..Understanding the relationship between oxLDL and leukocyte oxidative burst helps to explain the involvement of innate immune responses in the early phases of atherosclerosis. The present review focuses on this interplay...