- Tinea incognito Caused by Microsporum gypseum in a Patient with Advanced HIV Infection: A Case ReportEnnio Polilli
Unit of Clinical Pathology, Pescara General Hospital, Pescara, Modena, Italy
Case Rep Dermatol 3:55-9. 2011..Second-line treatment with liposomal amphotericin B and cotrimoxazole, administered after a microbiological characterization of the skin scrapings, led to complete clearance of all lesions...
- Complete Healing of a Giant Wart in a Severely Immune-Compromised Patient with HIV Infection Treated with AcupunctureT Ursini
Infectious Disease Unit, Pescara General Hospital, Pescara, Italy
Case Rep Dermatol 3:175-80. 2011..To the best of our knowledge, therefore, the present report may be the first direct clinical evidence that acupuncture may be effective in the treatment of cutaneous warts also in HIV-infected patients...
- Post-herpetic neuralgiaMonica Tontodonati
Infectious Disease Clinic, Chieti
Int J Gen Med 5:861-71. 2012..Furthermore, many issues concerning diagnosis, prediction and prevention of PHN need to be clarified in view of recent contributions...
- Psychological factors, including alexithymia, in the prediction of cardiovascular risk in HIV infected patients: results of a cohort studyGiustino Parruti
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Pescara General Hospital, Pescara, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e54555. 2013..We carried out a prospective cohort study to evaluate potential psychological predictors of preclinical and clinical vascular disease in HIV patients...
- Acupuncture for the treatment of severe acute pain in herpes zoster: results of a nested, open-label, randomized trial in the VZV Pain StudyTamara Ursini
Infectious Diseases Unit, Pescara General Hospital, Pescara, Italy
BMC Complement Altern Med 11:46. 2011....
- Rapid prediction of sustained virological response in patients chronically infected with HCV by evaluation of RNA decay 48h after the start of treatment with pegylated interferon and ribavirinGiustino Parruti
Infectious Disease Unit, Pescara General Hospital, via Fonte Romana, 8 65124 Pescara, Italy
Antiviral Res 88:124-7. 2010..Decays beyond the 0.5log threshold were also strongly associated with and highly predictive of early virological response (95.0% positive predictive value, P<0.001)...
- Predictors of pain intensity and persistence in a prospective Italian cohort of patients with herpes zoster: relevance of smoking, trauma and antiviral therapyGiustino Parruti
Infectious Disease Unit, Pescara General Hospital, Pescara, Italy
BMC Med 8:58. 2010..This prospective cohort study was aimed at investigating pain intensity at HZ presentation and its correlates, as well as the incidence of PHN and its predictors...
- Occupational therapy for advanced HIV patients at a home care facility: a pilot studyG Parruti
Ospedale Civile Spirito Santo, Pescara, Italy
AIDS Care 19:467-70. 2007..The findings from this pilot study suggest that occupational therapy could be integrated with success in the treatment of severely disabled patients with advanced HIV infection. Confirmation from further research is required...
- Persistence of lipoatrophy after a four-year long interruption of antiretroviral therapy for HIV1 infection: case reportGiustino Parruti
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Ospedale Civile Spirito Santo, Via Fonte Romana 8, 65126 Pescara, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 5:80. 2005....
- Fatal reactivation of HBV and HDV during a long-lasting interruption of HAART in a patient co-infected with HIV, HCV, HBV and HDVEnnio Polilli
Clinical Pathology Unit, Ospedale Civile Spirito Santo, Pescara, Italy
Infez Med 18:43-7. 2010..HBV and HDV reactivated in spite of a relatively preserved immune system and a recent immune stimulatory treatment with pegylated interferon...
- Rapidly progressive and fatal EBV-related encephalitis in a patient with advanced HIV-1 infection at presentation: a case report and review of the literatureEnnio Polilli
Infectious Disease Unit, Spirito Santo Hospital, Pescara, Italy
New Microbiol 33:275-80. 2010..Our experience would suggest that in profoundly immunosuppressed HIV patients EBV may cause severe encephalitis in the absence of lymphoproliferative disorders...
- Rapid and persistent selection of the K103N mutation as a majority quasispecies in a HIV1-patient exposed to efavirenz for three weeks: a case report and review of the literatureEnnio Polilli
Clinical Pathology Unit, Ospedale Civile Spirito Santo, Via Fonte Romana 8, 65124 Pescara, Italy
J Med Case Reports 3:9132. 2009..Our case would therefore suggest that the presence of the K103N mutation should always be ruled out by genotyping resistance testing assays, even after minimal exposures to efavirenz...
- Successful salvage therapy with Daptomycin for osteomyelitis caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a renal transplant recipient with Fabry-Anderson diseaseEnnio Polilli
Microbiology and Virology Unit, Pescara General Hospital, Pescara, Italy
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 11:6. 2012..Local debridement was performed in advance of each line of treatment...
- Late diagnosis of central nervous system involvement associated with lethal dissemination of Strongyloides stercoralis in an advanced HIV patient from NigeriaTamara Ursini
Infectious Disease Clinic, G D Annunzio University of Chieti Pescara, Chieti, Italy
Int J Infect Dis 17:e280-2. 2013....
- Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control rate of hypertension in HIV-infected patients: the HIV-HY studyGiuseppe Vittorio De Socio
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Perugia University Hospital, Perugia, Italy
Am J Hypertens 27:222-8. 2014..We aimed to assess the prevalence of hypertension in an unselected human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected population and to identify factors associated with hypertension prevalence, treatment, and control...
- Sequential transmission and long-term persistence of an HIV strain partially resistant to protease inhibitorsEnnio Polilli
Clinical Pathology Unit, Spirito Santo Hospital, Pescara, Italy
New Microbiol 32:205-8. 2009..Sequences isolated from the 2 patients showed a high level of identity (>99%), both carrying the major IAS PI mutation M46I. The latter mutation persisted in the bloodstream of the female partner 1 year after its first detection...
- Interindividual and intra-individual variabilities of darunavir and ritonavir plasma trough concentrations in multidrug experienced HIV patients receiving salvage regimensSilvia Baroncelli
Department of Therapeutic Research and Medicines Evaluation, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome Department of Pharmacology, Fondazione IRCCS, Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia Department of Infectious Diseases and Hepatology, Azienda Ospedaliera di Parma, Parma Division of Infectious Disease, University of Bari, Bari Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Experimental Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia Infectious Diseases Unit, Pistoia Hospital, Pistoia Infectious Disease Unit, Pescara General Hospital, Pescara Department of Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Nephrologic Diseases, Section of Infectious Diseases, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, Bologna Clinic of Infectious Diseases, Ospedali Riuniti, Marche Polytechnic University, Ancona and Department of Infectious Diseases, S Anna Hospital, Ferrara, Italy
Ther Drug Monit 35:785-90. 2013..There is no consensus on darunavir (DRV) target levels in plasma for clinical use, and information about variability in plasma concentrations is limited...
- Safety and durability in a cohort of HIV-1 positive patients treated with once and twice daily darunavir-based therapy (SCOLTA Project)Barbara Menzaghi
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Busto Arsizio Hospital, Busto Arsizio, Italy
Biomed Pharmacother 67:293-8. 2013..To evaluate safety and durability of once-daily and twice-daily darunavir/ritonavir (DRV/r)-based treatment in HIV patients in clinical practice...
- Preliminary evaluation of the safety and efficacy of standard intravenous immunoglobulins in pregnant women with primary cytomegalovirus infectionEnnio Polilli
Microbiology and Virology Unit, General Hospital of Pescara, Pescara, Italy
Clin Vaccine Immunol 19:1991-3. 2012..Preliminary data on perinatal outcomes of the first 67 newborns are encouraging...
- Cutaneous aspergillosis in patients with haematological malignanciesD D'Antonio
Hematology Department, Ospedale Civile Spirito Santo, Pescara, Italy
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 19:362-5. 2000..Infection was fatal in 11 of 15 cases; the absence of additional sites of infection other than cutis at presentation appeared to be the only factor related to a favourable outcome...
- -Dual nucleoside therapy for HIV infection: analysis of results and factors influencing viral response and long term efficacyG Parruti
Infectious Disease Unit, Ospedale Civile Spirito Santo, Pescara, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 16:81-8. 2003..Total lymphocyte counts and CD4+ T-cells showed a significant correlation. Dual NRTI regimens may be still considered for patients unable to tolerate HAART regimens and presenting with favourable predictors of response...
- Osteonecrosis in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients: a multicentric case-control studyElena Mazzotta
Unita di Malattie Infettive, Ospedale Civile Spirito Santo, Via C Barbella 10, 65126 Pescara, Italy
J Bone Miner Metab 29:383-8. 2011..Predicting and preventing ON in the individual HIV-infected patient is therefore a clinically challenging opportunity...
- Long-term adherence to first-line highly active antiretroviral therapy in a hospital-based cohort: predictors and impact on virologic response and relapseG Parruti
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Ospedale Civile Spirito Santo, Pescara, Italy
AIDS Patient Care STDS 20:48-56. 2006..A protective role of marriage for adherence failure is promising but requires confirmation in further research, that should also clarify the exact mechanisms determining the association...
- Five-year retrospective Italian multicenter study of visceral leishmaniasis treatmentFrancesco Di Masi
Division of Infectious Diseases, Pescara General Hospital, Pescara, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58:414-8. 2014..Longer treatments and higher doses of L-AmB were not able to significantly modify treatment outcomes either in the immunocompetent or in the immunocompromised population. ..
- Femoral prosthesis infection by Rhodotorula mucilaginosaVincenzo Savini
Clinical Microbiology and Virology Unit, Department of Transfusion Medicine, Spirito Santo Hospital, Via Fonte Romana 8, 65100 Pescara, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 46:3544-5. 2008..Though the pathogenicity of this organism for bone tissue has been previously reported, this is the first reported case of an orthopedic prosthesis infection by this species of the genus Rhodotorula...
- Functional capacity after traditional Chinese medicine (qi gong) training in patients with chronic atrial fibrillation: a randomized controlled trialLucio Pippa
Camillo de Lellis per la Ricera Clinica Applicata, Pescara, Italy
Prev Cardiol 10:22-5. 2007..001) and 57 meters more (13.7%) 16 weeks later (P=.008). Control subjects showed no variation in functional capacity. These results seem promising and deserve confirmation with further research...
- Quick and reliable galactomannan detection in crude minced lung specimens from haematological patients with suspected invasive fungal infection: results from a case seriesD D'Antonio
Unità Operativa Complessa di Microbiologia e Virologia Clinica, Dipartimento di Medicina Trasfusionale, Ospedale Civile Spirito Santo, Via Fonte Romana 8, CAP 65125 Pescara, Italy
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:391-4. 2008..We feel that our results open up the opportunity of a prospective and comparative evaluation of this diagnostic technique...
- Addition of teicoplanin or vancomycin for the treatment of documented bacteremia due to gram-positive cocci in neutropenic patients with hematological malignancies: microbiological, clinical and economic evaluationD D'Antonio
Dipartimento di Ematologia e Medicina Trasfusionale, Ospedale Spirito Santo, Pescara, Italy
Chemotherapy 50:81-7. 2004..Isolated staphylococci showed a progressive and significant decrease in susceptibility to both glycopeptides during the 8 study years. The economic analysis performed showed that the addition of vancomycin is cost-saving...
- Identifying HIV patients with an unfavorable cardiovascular risk profile in the clinical practice: results from the SIMONE studyGiuseppe Vittorio L De Socio
Department of Infectious Diseases, Santa Maria Hospital, Perugia, Italy
J Infect 57:33-40. 2008..To identify and characterize HIV-infected patients at higher cardiovascular risk in ordinary clinical settings...
- An Italian approach to postmarketing monitoring: preliminary results from the SCOLTA (Surveillance Cohort Long-Term Toxicity Antiretrovirals) project on the safety of lopinavir/ritonavirPaolo Bonfanti
Department of Infectious Diseases, Luigi Sacco Hospital, Milan, Italy
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:317-20. 2005..These findings, though preliminary, show that this data collection method gives timely real-life information from which to assess the impact of short- and long-term toxicity of new antiretroviral drugs...
- Metabolic syndrome: a real threat for HIV-positive patients?: Results from the SIMONE studyPaolo Bonfanti
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:128-31. 2006