- Distinguishing visceral leishmaniasis from intolerance to pegylated interferon-alpha in a thalassemic splenectomized patient treated for chronic hepatitis CPasquale Pagliano
D Cotugno Hospital, Department of Emergency, 1st Division of Infectious Diseases, Naples, Italy
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:9-11. 2008..Symptoms of VL may be difficult to distinguish from the manifestations of Peg-IFN intolerance. We suggest that VL must be suspected in any immunodepressed patient with an unexplained fever and a history of exposure in an endemic area...
- Mediterranean visceral leishmaniasis in HIV-negative adults: a retrospective analysis of 64 consecutive cases (1995-2001)Pasquale Pagliano
I Division of Infectious Disease, D Cotugno Hospital, Naples, Italy
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:264-8. 2003..To evaluate in a retrospective analysis cases of Mediterranean visceral leishmaniasis (VL) diagnosed in HIV-negative adults during a 7-year period...
- Visceral leishmaniasis in pregnancy: a case series and a systematic review of the literaturePasquale Pagliano
I Division of Infectious Diseases, D Cotugno Hospital, Naples
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:229-33. 2005..Here we report a small series of pregnant women with VL observed in the Neapolitan area over a 7 year period and carry out a systematic review of the literature on this topic...
- Pulmonary aspergillosis with possible cerebral involvement in a previously healthy pregnant womanP Pagliano
Department of Emergency and Infectious Diseases, D Cotugno Hospital, Via G Quagliariello 54, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Chemother 16:604-7. 2004..The authors conclude that risk of infections sustained by fungal opportunistic agents during pregnancy must be considered. Sequential antifungal administration may be an efficient therapy able to shorten hospitalization...
- Pneumococcal meningitis in childhood: a longitudinal prospective studyPasquale Pagliano
Department of Emergency, I Division of Infectious Diseases, D Cotugno Hospital, Naples, Italy
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 51:488-95. 2007..Low blood neutrophils, low CSF cell count, early admission to ICU and infection by penicillin-nonsusceptible strains are the main factors predicting an unfavourable outcome in children with pneumococcal meningitis...
- Combined treatment with ceftriaxone and linezolid of pneumococcal meningitis: a case series including penicillin-resistant strainsF Faella
Department of Emergency, Division of Infectious Neuropathies, D. Cotugno Hospital, Naples, Italy
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:391-4. 2006..No toxicity was reported. It was concluded that linezolid can be used for the treatment of pneumococcal meningitis, as an alternative to vancomycin or rifampicin, in regimens including a third-generation cephalosporin...
- Factors influencing the presentation and outcome of tuberculous meningitis in childhoodF S Faella
Department of Emergency and Infectious Diseases, D. Cotugno Hospital, Naples, Italy
In Vivo 20:187-91. 2006..Four (13%) patients died, while 6 (19%) had sequelae. Faster normalization of CSF parameters was associated with better outcome. CONCLUSION: Early antimycobacterial therapy and close monitoring of TBM in childhood improve the outcome...
- Toscana virus central nervous system infections in southern ItalyGiuseppe Di Nicuolo
Laboratory of Virology, D Cotugno Hospital, Via G Quagliariello 54, Naples 80131, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 43:6186-8. 2005..The central nervous system infections were associated with young adults and with a substantially benign clinical course. Presenting features and CSF findings are also discussed in the present report...
- Visceral leishmaniasis causes fever and decompensation in patients with cirrhosisPasquale Pagliano
Gut 56:893-4. 2007
- [Non post-operative spondylodiskitis. Our experience during the period 1990-2001]Francesco Saverio Faella
Centro Neuropatie Infettive Ospedale D. Cotugno Napoli, Italy
Infez Med 10:157-62. 2002..Persistent neurological deficit were observed in 2 patients. CONCLUSIONS: Neurological deficit may be avoid in patients affected by SD only with a carefull diagnosis and an accurate antibiotic therapy...