Affiliation: Ospedale dei Bambini G. Di Cristina
- Dramatic response to Cisplatin window therapy in a boy with advanced metastatic ewing sarcomaAntonino Trizzino
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, ARNAS Civico, Di Cristina and Benfratelli Hospital, Palermo, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 35:478-81. 2013..We describe a child with multifocal ES, treated with a phase II trial including a single-drug window therapy, which displayed a dramatic response to 2 courses of cisplatin and had a favorable outcome. ..
- Simultaneous diagnosis of acute lymphoblastic leukemia and peripheral neuroblastic tumor in a childPaolo D'Angelo
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Unit, G Di Cristina Children s Hospital, A R N A S Ospedale Civico, Palermo, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 34:72-5. 2012..The simultaneous occurrence of 2 different neoplasms in a child is very infrequent, and no comparable cases are reported in the literature...
- Breast metastases in children and adolescents with rhabdomyosarcoma: Experience of the Italian Soft Tissue Sarcoma CommitteePaolo D'Angelo
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Unit, G Di Cristina Children s Hospital, Palermo, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 55:1306-9. 2010....
- Severe polyuria and polydipsia in hyponatremic-hypertensive syndrome associated with Wilms tumorPaolo D'Angelo
Unit of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, G Di Cristina Children s Hospital, A R N A S, Palermo, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 55:566-9. 2010..All HHS signs and symptoms resolved only following surgical resection of the tumor, allowing chemotherapy to be given...
- Hepatopathy-thrombocytopenia syndrome (HTS) after actinomycin-D therapy: report of three cases and review of the literaturePiero Farruggia
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, G Di Cristina Children s Hospital, Italy
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 28:237-43. 2011..We report three children with Wilms tumor, with severe HTS/SOS, but had a different outcome, in spite of vigorous supportive therapy...
- Reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome: report of 2 simultaneous cases in childrenPaolo D'Angelo
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Ospedale dei Bambini G Di Cristina, Palermo, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 28:177-81. 2006..A mild left midriasis was the only neurologic defect that persisted in the patient with acute lymphoblastic leukemia...
- Hodgkin lymphoma and nephrotic syndrome in childhoodPiero Farruggia
Unit of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, G Di Cristina Children Hospital, A R N A S, Via Benedettini 1, 90134, Palermo, Italy
Indian J Pediatr 77:1147-9. 2010..Till date, to the best of author's knowledge, there are about 50 pediatric cases published, no one among Italian children. In the present paper, the authors report 2 cases observed in their department in the 7 yrs period...
- FIP1L1-PDGFRα-positive hypereosinophilic syndrome in childhood: a case report and review of literaturePiero Farruggia
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Unit, Oncology Department, A R N A S Civico, Di Cristina and Benfratelli Hospitals Hematology I, A O Villa Sofia Cervello, Palermo Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Clinical and Biologic Sciences, University of Turin, San Luigi Gonzaga Hospital, Orbassano, Turin, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 36:e28-30. 2014..Until now there have only been 3 reported cases of pediatric FIP1L1-PDGFRα-positive hypereosinophilic syndromes. We describe a fourth patient, a white 14-year-old boy, the third treated with imatinib...
- Focal nodular hyperplasia of the liver: an unusual association with diabetes mellitus in a child and review of literaturePiero Farruggia
Unit of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, G, Di Cristina Children s Hospital, and Department of Pediatrics, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 36:41. 2010..We here describe, to our knowledge, the first case of focal nodular hyperplasia in association with diabetes mellitus in childhood...
- Synovial sarcoma of the neck in a child: a multidisciplinary approachPiero Farruggia
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Ospedale dei Bambini G Di Cristina, Palermo, Italy
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 25:431-7. 2008..The complete remission was subsequently consolidated by ablative high-dose chemotherapy, followed by autologous stem cell reinfusion. The child remains in complete remission at 36 months after completion of treatment...
- Vocal cord palsy after vincristine treatment in a child and the inefficacy of glutamic acid in the prevention of relapse: a case reportPiero Farruggia
Oncology Department, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Unit, A, R, N, A, S, Ospedali Civico, Di Cristina e Benfratelli, Piazza N, Leotta 4, Palermo, 90127, Italy
J Med Case Rep 6:128. 2012..abstract:..
- Effectiveness of cyclosporine and mycophenolate mofetil in a child with refractory evans syndromePiero Farruggia
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Unit, G Di Cristina Children s Hospital, Palermo
Pediatr Rep 3:e15. 2011..We describe a baby with refractory Evans Syndrome that was cured by prolonged administration of mycophenolate mofetil and remained disease-free for 4 years after the discontinuation of treatment...
- Castleman's disease in childhood: report of three cases and review of the literaturePiero Farruggia
Unit of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, G Di Cristina Children s Hospital, ARNAS, Palermo, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 37:50. 2011..There are only about 100 pediatric cases published, five of them in Italy. We report 3 cases of localized Castleman's disease, investigated in our Department in a 3 years period and reviewed the literature...
- Hypereosinophilic syndrome in childhood: clinical and molecular features of two casesPiero Farruggia
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, G Di Cristina Children s Hospital, Palermo, Italy
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 26:129-35. 2009..It is very rare in children. Uncertainties in classification and lack of prospective studies make therapeutic decisions difficult. The authors report two cases of HES in which steroid therapy was effective...
- Congenital hepatic fibrosis: a very uncommon cause of pancytopenia in childrenAntonino Trizzino
Onco Ematologia Pediatrica, Ospedale dei Bambini G Di Cristina, Palermo, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27:567-8. 2005..The authors report an unusual case of ARPKD presenting with hepatosplenomegaly and cytopenia mimicking acute leukemia...
- Poikiloderma with neutropenia: a case report and review of the literaturePiero Farruggia
Department of Oncology, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Unit, A R N A S Ospedali Civico Dermatology Unit, A R N A S Ospedali Civico, Di Cristina e Benfratelli, Palermo Hematology Unit, G Gaslini Children s Institute, Genoa, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 36:297-300. 2014..Mutations in the C16orf57 gene have been recently identified as the cause. Here we describe a new case of PN in a white patient, review the literature, and point out the attention on importance of differential diagnosis. ..
- The spectrum of non-classical Diamond-Blackfan anemia: a case of late beginning transfusion dependency associated to a new RPL5 mutationPiero Farruggia
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Unit, Oncology Department, A R N A S Civico, Di Cristina and Benfratelli Hospitals, Palermo
Pediatr Rep 4:e25. 2012..We describe here a patient with Diamond Blackfan anemia related to a RPL5 mutation. The patient had no physical abnormalities and experienced a very late onset of transfusion dependency...
- MPL W515L mutation in pediatric essential thrombocythemiaPiero Farruggia
Oncology Department, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Unit, ARNAS Ospedali Civico, Di Cristina e Benfratelli, Palermo, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 60:E52-4. 2013..Another recurrent mutation, involving a W to L or K transversion at MPL codon 515, has been reported in about 3-8% of adult ET patients. Herein we describe this mutation in a pediatric patient...
- Mutations affecting mRNA splicing are the most common molecular defect in patients with familial hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis type 3Alessandra Santoro
Divisione di Ematologia I, A O V Cervello, Palermo, Italy
Haematologica 93:1086-90. 2008..This finding has implications for designing strategies for analysis of the families with suspected familial hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis...