- Influenza A H1N1 pneumonia in a patient with hairy-cell leukemia
Division of Respiratory Diseases, General Hospital, Sestri Levante, Genova, Italy
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 73:92-4. 2010
..Lymphopenia is directly associated with virus action and is considered to be a marker of the swine influenza in adults...
- Peritoneal sarcoidosis: an unusual presentation and a brief review of the literature
Division of Respiratory Diseases, Hospital of Sestri Levante, Genova, Italy
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 75:132-4. 2011
- Open-Mouthpiece Ventilation Versus Nasal Mask Ventilation in Subjects With COPD Exacerbation and Mild to Moderate Acidosis: A Randomized Trial
Respiratory Medicine Unit, Hospital of Sestri Levante, Italy
Respir Care 59:1825-31. 2014
..Open mouthpiece ventilation is efficacious in patients with neuromuscular disease. We used this ventilation technique in patients with exacerbations of COPD with mild to moderate acidosis...
- Non-invasive ventilation in the treatment of sleep-related breathing disorders: A review and update
Respiratory Diseases Unit, Hospital of Sestri Levante, Italy Electronic address
Rev Port Pneumol 20:324-35. 2014
..In this review we discuss the different types of NIV, the specific conditions in which they can be used as well as the indications, recommendations, and evidence supporting the efficacy of NIV. ..
- Lung abscess due to Streptococcus pneumoniae: a case series and brief review of the literature
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 82:276-85. 2014
..Lung abscess in adults due to Streptococcus pneumoniae is not common. In this regard we present a case series of pulmonary cavitation due to Streptococcus pneumoniae and discuss the possible pathogenic mechanism of the disease. ..
- Desmoplastic malignant mesothelioma of the pericardium: Description of a case and review of the literature
Division of Respiratory Diseases, Hospital of Sestri Levante, Genoa, Italy
Lung India 28:219-21. 2011
..The diagnosis is difficult and often needing a surgical pericardial biopsy. The prognosis is poor although newer antiblastic drugs seem to prolong survival times...
- Evaluation of a transcutaneous carbon dioxide monitor in patients with acute respiratory failure
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Hospital of Sestri Levante, Chiavarese, Italy
Ann Thorac Med 6:217-20. 2011
..Non-invasive measurement of oxygenation is a routine procedure in clinical practice, but transcutaneous monitoring of PCO(2)(PtCO(2)) is used much less than expected...
- Comparison of intermittent positive pressure breathing and temporary positive expiratory pressure in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Unidad de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Hospital General de Sestri Levante, Sestri Levante, Italia Electronic address
Arch Bronconeumol 50:18-24. 2014
- Severe Legionella pneumophila pneumonia and non-invasive ventilation: presentation of two cases and brief review of the literature
Respiratory Diseases Unit, General Hospital, via Terzi 43, Sestri Levante, Italy
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 81:399-403. 2013
- Use of positive expiratory pressure during six minute walk test: results in patients with moderate to severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Respiratory Diseases Unit, Hospital of Sestri Levante, Via Terzi 43 16039, SestriLevante, Italy
Multidiscip Respir Med 8:19. 2013
..The six-minute walk test (6MWT) is widely used because it is both simple and reliable as a measure of exercise capacity. Individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) usually show a limited capacity to perform exercise...
- Effectiveness of treatment with high-frequency chest wall oscillation in patients with bronchiectasis
Respiratory Diseases Unit, General Hospital of Sestri Levante, Genoa, Italy
BMC Pulm Med 13:21. 2013
..The aim of this study was to find the more efficacious treatment in patients with bronchiectasis: traditional techniques of chest physiotherapy (CPT) versus high frequency oscillation of the chest wall in patients with bronchiectasis...
- Influenza A (H1N1)-associated pneumonia
Villa Scassi Hospital, Genoa, Italy
J Bras Pneumol 37:621-7. 2011
..To describe the characteristics of patients with influenza A (H1N1)-associated pneumonia treated at two hospitals in the region of Liguria, Italy, as well as to describe their treatment and outcomes...
- The use of non-invasive ventilation in very old patients with hypercapnic acute respiratory failure because of COPD exacerbation
Respiratory Medicine Unit, ASL4 Chiavarese, Sestri Levante, Italy
Int J Clin Pract 68:1523-9. 2014
..The primary outcomes were intubation and mortality rates; the secondary outcomes were changes in arterial blood gases analysis, non-invasive ventilation (NIV) duration and length of hospital stay...