Affiliation: Morgagni-Pierantoni Hospital
- Quality of life at the end of life: how is the solution far away?Davide Tassinari
J Clin Oncol 20:1704-5. 2002
- A validation study of the WHO analgesic ladder: a two-step vs three-step strategyMarco Maltoni
Palliative Care Unit, Forlimpopoli Hospital, Via Duca d Aosta 33, 47034 Forlimpopoli FC, Italy
Support Care Cancer 13:888-94. 2005....
- Palliative sedation in end-of-life careMarco Maltoni
Palliative Care Unit, IRCCS Istituto Scientifico Romagnolo per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori IRST, Meldola, Italy
Curr Opin Oncol 25:360-7. 2013..Palliative sedation is a medical procedure used to deal with the refractory symptoms occurring in the advanced stages of cancer. It has clinical, nursing, relational and ethical implications, making it a highly sensitive issue...
- Palliative sedation in end-of-life care and survival: a systematic reviewMarco Maltoni
Istituto Scientifico Romagnolo per lo Studio e lCura dei Tumori, Meldola, Italy
J Clin Oncol 30:1378-83. 2012..We present a systematic review of literature on the clinical practice of palliative sedation to assess the effect, if any, on survival...
- Prospective comparison of prognostic scores in palliative care cancer populationsMarco Maltoni
Palliative Care Clinic, Istituto Scientifico Romagnolo per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori I R S T, via P Maroncelli 40, 47014 Meldola FC, Italy
Oncologist 17:446-54. 2012..Predicting prognosis in advanced cancer aids physicians in clinical decision making and can help patients and their families to prepare for the time ahead...
- Prognostic factors in advanced cancer patients: evidence-based clinical recommendations--a study by the Steering Committee of the European Association for Palliative CareMarco Maltoni
Palliative Care Unit, Department of Medical Oncology, Morgagni Pierantoni Hospital, Via Forlanini, 34, 47100 Forli, Italy
J Clin Oncol 23:6240-8. 2005..To offer evidence-based clinical recommendations concerning prognosis in advanced cancer patients...
- Palliative sedation therapy does not hasten death: results from a prospective multicenter studyM Maltoni
Palliative Care Unit, Valerio Grassi Hospice, Forlimpopoli, Italy
Ann Oncol 20:1163-9. 2009..Palliative sedation therapy (PST) is indicated for and used to control refractory symptoms in cancer patients undergoing palliative care. We aimed to evaluate whether PST has a detrimental effect on survival in terminally ill patients...
- Survival prediction for terminally ill cancer patients: revision of the palliative prognostic score with incorporation of deliriumEmanuela Scarpi
Biostatistics and Clinical Trials Unit, Istituto Scientifico Romagnolo per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Meldola, Italy
Oncologist 16:1793-9. 2011..The PaP score assigns patients to three different risk groups according to a 30-day survival probability--group A, >70%; group B, 30%-70%; group C, <30%. The impact of delirium is known but was not incorporated into the PaP score...
- Impact of palliative care unit admission on symptom control evaluated by the edmonton symptom assessment systemCaterina Modonesi
Palliative Care Unit, Department of Medical Oncology, Forlimpopoli Hospital, Italy
J Pain Symptom Manage 30:367-73. 2005..0001), well-being (6.83-3.85, P < 0.0001), and dyspnea (7.08-3.86, P < 0.0001). These data seem to indicate that the patients who benefit most from inpatient palliative care are those with the most complex symptomatology...
- Prospective observational Italian study on palliative sedation in two hospice settings: differences in casemixes and clinical careMarco Maltoni
Department of Medical Oncology, Istituto Scientifico Romagnolo per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori IRST, Meldola, Italy
Support Care Cancer 20:2829-36. 2012..We investigated PS for refractory symptoms in different hospice casemixes in order to (1) assess clinical decision-making, (2) monitor the practice of PS, and (3) examine the impact of PS on survival...
- Prognosis in advanced cancerMarco Maltoni
Oncology Department, Palliative Care Unit, Pierantoni Hospital, Via Forlanini, 34 47100 FORLI, Italy
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 16:715-29. 2002..Despite the usefulness of these instruments, however, the communication of a poor prognosis is one of the most difficult moments to face in the relationship between doctor and patient...
- Normal-release oral morphine starting dose in cancer patients with painCarla I Ripamonti
Palliative Care Unit, IRCCS Foundation, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Clin J Pain 25:386-90. 2009..Secondary aims were to estimate the percentage of patients who were high responders to NRM and to study the association of baseline patient characteristics with both high analgesic responsivity and the need of opioid dose escalation...
- Multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of bone metastases: Osteo-Oncology Center, a new organizational modelToni Ibrahim
Osteo Oncology Center, Istituto Romagnolo Scientifico per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori IRST, Meldola, Italy
Tumori 95:291-7. 2009....
- Managing chronic pain: results from an open-label study using MC5-A Calmare® deviceMarianna Ricci
Istituto Scientifico Romagnolo per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, via P Maroncelli 40, 47014 Meldola, FC, Italy
Support Care Cancer 20:405-12. 2012..We evaluated the effectiveness of an innovative neuromodulative approach to the treatment of chronic pain using electrical stimulus integrated with pharmacological support...
- Prognostic assessment in terminally ill cancer patients: from evidence-based knowledge to a patient-physician relationship and backMarco Maltoni
Palliative Care Unit, Valerio Grassi Hospice, Forlimpopoli FC, Italy
Palliat Med 18:77-9. 2004
- [Production and diffusion of scientific results in oncology]Dino Amadori
Dipartimento Oncologico e dei Servizi di Diagnosi, Ospedale G B Morgagni L Pierantoni, Forli
Ann Ist Super Sanita 40:357-62. 2004....
- Predicting survival in patients with advanced diseasePaul Glare
Department of Palliative Care, Sydney Cancer Centre, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Eur J Cancer 44:1146-56. 2008..More well-designed studies of prognosis and its impact on decision making are needed. The benefits and limitations of prognostication should be considered in many clinical decisions...
- Adverse effects of transdermal opiates treating moderate-severe cancer pain in comparison to long-acting morphine: a meta-analysis and systematic review of the literatureDavide Tassinari
Department of Oncology, Supportive and Palliatice Care Unit, City Hospital, Rimini, Italy
J Palliat Med 11:492-501. 2008..To assess the adverse effects of transdermal opiates treating moderate-severe cancer pain in comparison with slow release oral morphine...
- Outcome research in palliative care: could it represent a new dimension of clinical research or clinical practice?Davide Tassinari
Department of Oncology, City Hospital, Rimini, Italy
Support Care Cancer 13:176-81. 2005..The models of the different designs of pharmacoeconomic analysis are revisited in an attempt to conjugate the pharmacoeconomic evaluation with the particular dimension of palliative care...
- Pain in cancer. An outcome research project to evaluate the epidemiology, the quality and the effects of pain treatment in cancer patientsGiovanni Apolone
Dipartimento di Oncologia, Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Via Eritrea 62, 20157 Milan, Italy
Health Qual Life Outcomes 4:7. 2006..Evidence of the relative effectiveness of current options for treating cancer pain from comparative randomized studies is scanty...
- [Future aims for palliative care]Davide Tassinari
Modulo di Terapie di Supporto e Palliative, Divisione di Oncologia, Ospedale Civile degli Infermi, Rimini
Recenti Prog Med 97:571-9. 2006..Nevertheless, all the efforts to improve the quality of clinical research in palliative care will have to be focused on protocols of global interventions...
- The palliative prognostic score and survival in patients with advanced solid tumors receiving chemotherapyDavide Tassinari
Department of Oncology, City Hospital, Rimini, Italy
Support Care Cancer 16:359-70. 2008..To evaluate the accuracy of the Palliative Prognostic Score (PaP score) in selecting metastatic gastrointestinal or nonsmall-cell lung cancer patients candidate to palliative chemotherapy...
- Gabapentin for neuropathic cancer pain: a randomized controlled trial from the Gabapentin Cancer Pain Study GroupAugusto Caraceni
Rehabilitation and Palliative Care Unit, National Cancer Institute of Milan, Via Venezian 1, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Clin Oncol 22:2909-17. 2004..To determine the analgesic effect of the addition of gabapentin to opioids in the management of neuropathic cancer pain...
- Can we really consider quality of life as an outcome of palliative care?Davide Tassinari
J Pain Symptom Manage 26:886-7; author reply 888-9. 2003
- From roots to flowers: challenges of developing a sustainable palliative care programMarianne Metz Mørch
Department of Geriatrics, University Hospital Aarhus, Denmark
J Palliat Care 19:58-62. 2003
- Target therapies in palliative care: from a clinical to a biological approachDavide Tassinari
J Pain Symptom Manage 28:195-7; author reply 197-8. 2004