- Low level laser therapy for the treatment of temporomandibular disorders: a systematic review of the literatureMarcello Melis
Craniomandibular Pain Center at Tufts University, USA
Cranio 30:304-12. 2012..The only indication seems to be that LLLT is probably more effective for the treatment of TMJ disorders, and less effective for the treatment of masticatory muscle disorders...
- Temporomandibular joint disk fracture: a case reportMarcello Melis
Craniomandibular Pain Center, Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Cranio 29:227-31. 2011..After four months, the posterior open-bite was reduced, probably because of remodeling of the posterior TMJ capsule and extrusion of the molars and premolars. Contact with the patient was lost after that time...
- Bruxism elicited by inferior alveolar nerve injury: a case reportMarcello Melis
Craniofacial Pain Center, Tufts University, School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 32:e29-33. 2012..Paresthesia of the teeth, gingiva, and lower lip persisted but were reduced during appliance use...
- Use of ultrasonography for the diagnosis of temporomandibular joint disorders: a reviewMarcello Melis
Craniofacial Pain Center, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Dent 20:73-8. 2007..To evaluate the reliability of ultrasonography in the diagnosis of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders...
- Effect of cigarette smoking on pain intensity of TMD patients: a pilot studyMarcello Melis
Craniomandibular Pain Center, Tufts University, USA
Cranio 28:187-92. 2010..CS seems to be a relevant factor affecting the intensity of TMD pain, thus, control of smoking habits should be considered when treating TMD patients...
- Diagnosis and treatment of atypical odontalgia: a review of the literature and two case reportsMarcello Melis
Craniofacial Pain Center, Tufts University, USA
J Contemp Dent Pract 8:81-9. 2007..This report presents two cases diagnosed with atypical odontalgia (AO) and successfully treated with amitriptyline as well as providing a review of the current literature on the subject...
- Upper body musculoskeletal symptoms in Sardinian dental studentsMarcello Melis
J Can Dent Assoc 70:306-10. 2004....
- Use of Theraflex-TMJ topical cream for the treatment of temporomandibular joint and muscle painSilvia Lobo Lobo
Craniofacial Pain Center, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, One Kneeland Street, Box 1, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Cranio 22:137-44. 2004..The data strongly suggest that Theraflex-TMJ topical cream is safe and effective for reducing pain in the masseter muscle and the temporomandibular joint...
- Atypical odontalgia: a review of the literatureMarcello Melis
Craniofacial Pain Center, Department of General Dentistry, Tufts University, Boston, Mass, USA
Headache 43:1060-74. 2003..To review previous reports of cases of atypical odontalgia to examine its epidemiological and clinical characteristics and to explore the etiology and pathophysiology of the disease...
- Prevalence of bruxism awareness in a Sardinian populationMarcello Melis
Gelb Orofacial Pain Center at Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Cranio 21:144-51. 2003..Although awareness of bruxism is not a precise measure of parafunction, based on the results we cannot support the role of stress on bruxism etiology...
- Migraine with aura and dental occlusion: a case reportMarcello Melis
Craniofacial Pain Center, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, USA
J Mass Dent Soc 54:28-30. 2006..A headache related to dental occlusion and dental parafunctions seems to be able to mimic a primary migraine headache. Therefore, dental evaluation is always advised for headache diagnosis...
- An index for the measurement of normal maximum mouth openingKhalid H Zawawi
Boston University, Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Massachusetts, USA
J Can Dent Assoc 69:737-41. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the relationship between the width of 3 or 4 fingers of one hand and maximum mouth opening (MMO) in healthy subjects...
- Complex regional pain syndrome in the head and neck: a review of the literatureMarcello Melis
Gelb Craniomandibular and Orofacial Pain Center, Tufts University, School of Dental Medicine, 1 Kneeland Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Orofac Pain 16:93-104. 2002..Physical signs were reported less frequently. The treatment of choice was seen to be a series of stellate ganglion anesthetic blocks, which resulted in a good outcome in all the cases reviewed...
- Prevalence, intensity, and correlation of different TMJ symptoms in Lebanese and Italian subpopulationsYoussef S Abou-Atme
Université Saint Joseph
J Contemp Dent Pract 7:71-8. 2006..The aim of this study was to compare self reported joint related temporomandibular disorder (TMD) symptoms in Lebanese and Italian dental and non-dental students and to detect any correlation between different symptoms...
- Dr. Melis comments on Simmons "Guidelines . . ." which appeared in the October 2005 issue of CRANIOMarcello Melis
Cranio 24:80; author reply 80-2. 2006
- Pressure pain threshold of the lateral pterygoid muscles in TMD patients and controlsYoussef S Abou-Atme
Université Saint Joseph, Lebanon
J Contemp Dent Pract 6:22-9. 2005..The aim of this experiment was to detect pressure pain threshold (PPT) differences on intra-oral palpation of the lateral pterygoid muscle (LPM) between subjects diagnosed with temporomandibular disorders (TMD) and controls...
- Prevalence of bruxism in children receiving treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a pilot studyGhadah A Malki
Dental Center, King Fahad Hospital, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
J Clin Pediatr Dent 29:63-7. 2004....