- Transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells in ALSLetizia Mazzini
ALS Centre, Department of Neurology, Eastern Piedmont University, Maggiore della Carita Hospital, Novara, Italy
Prog Brain Res 201:333-59. 2012..In this review, the authors discuss the major challenges to the translation of in vitro and animal studies of MSCs therapy in the clinical setting...
- Stem cell treatment in Amyotrophic Lateral SclerosisLetizia Mazzini
Department of Neurology, Azienda Ospedaliera, Eastern Piedmont University of Novara, Novara, Italy
J Neurol Sci 265:78-83. 2008..A new phase 1 study is carried out to verify these data in a larger number of patients...
- Autologous mesenchymal stem cells: clinical applications in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisLetizia Mazzini
Department of Neurology, Eastern Piedmont University of Novara, Novara, Italy
Neurol Res 28:523-6. 2006..Our study was aimed to evaluate the feasibility and safety of intraspinal cord implantation of autologous mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) in a few well-monitored amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients...
- Stem cells in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: state of the artLetizia Mazzini
Eastern Piedmont University, Maggiore della Carita Hospital, ALS Centre, Department of Neurology, Corso Mazzini 18, Novara 28100, Italy
Expert Opin Biol Ther 9:1245-58. 2009..Here we summarise and discuss current preclinical and clinical evidence regarding stem cells application in ALS, particularly focusing on methodological issues...
- Mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: A Phase I clinical trialL Mazzini
Department of Neurology Eastern Piedmont University, Maggiore della Carita Hospital, 28100 Novara, Italy
Exp Neurol 223:229-37. 2010..In conclusion, this study confirms that MSC transplantation into the spinal cord of ALS patients is safe and that MSCs might have a clinical use for future ALS cell based clinical trials...
- Clinical applications of event-related potentials in brain injuryLetizia Mazzini
Department of Neurology, San Giovanni Bosco Hospital, Hospital Largo Donatori di Sangue 3, 10154 Torino, Italy
Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 15:163-75. 2004..Nevertheless, ERPs might be applied as a useful supplement to neuropsychologic assessment...
- Posttraumatic hydrocephalus: a clinical, neuroradiologic, and neuropsychologic assessment of long-term outcomeLetizia Mazzini
Department of Neurology, San Giovanni Bosco Hospital, Turin, Italy
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1637-41. 2003..To detect the clinical and radiologic characteristics of posttraumatic hydrocephalus (PTH), to define its prognostic value, and to assess the effects of shunt surgery...
- Stem cell therapy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a methodological approach in humansLetizia Mazzini
Department of Neurology, University of Torino, Italy
Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord 4:158-61. 2003..We have evaluated the feasibility and safety of a method of intraspinal cord implantation of autologous mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) in a few well-monitored patients with ALS...
- Effects of creatine supplementation on exercise performance and muscular strength in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: preliminary resultsL Mazzini
Department of Neurology, San Giovanni Bosco Hospital, Largo Donatore di sangue 3, 10154, Torino, Italy
J Neurol Sci 191:139-44. 2001....
- Mesenchymal stromal cell transplantation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a long-term safety studyLetizia Mazzini
ALS Centre Department of Neurology Eastern Piedmont University, Maggiore della Carita Hospital, Novara, Italy
Cytotherapy 14:56-60. 2012..We present the results of long-term monitoring of 19 ALS patients enrolled in two phase I clinical trials of autologous MSC transplantation...
- Tracheostomy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a 10-year population-based study in ItalyA Chio
ALS Centre, Department of Neuroscience, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 81:1141-3. 2010..In conclusion, in an epidemiological setting, ALS survival after tracheostomy was <1 year. Sociocultural factors influence the probability of choice to be tracheostomised, even in a highly socialized health system as Italian one...
- Human mesenchymal stem cell transplantation extends survival, improves motor performance and decreases neuroinflammation in mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosisA Vercelli
Department of Anatomy, Pharmacology and Forensic Medicine, National Institute of Neuroscience, Turin, Italy
Neurobiol Dis 31:395-405. 2008....
- Epidemiology of ALS in Italy: a 10-year prospective population-based studyA Chio
Department of Neuroscience, University of Torino, Italy
Neurology 72:725-31. 2009..To describe the temporal patterns of incidence and demographic characteristics of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in Piemonte and Valle d'Aosta, Italy, in the 10-year period 1995 through 2004...
- SOD1 gene mutations in Italian patients with Sporadic Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)L Corrado
Department of Medical Sciences, University of Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
Neuromuscul Disord 16:800-4. 2006..No association was found with intronic sequence variations by comparing their frequency in the patients and in 181 matched controls...
- High frequency of TARDBP gene mutations in Italian patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosisLucia Corrado
Department of Medical Sciences, Interdisciplinary Research Center of Autoimmune Diseases IRCAD, University of Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
Hum Mutat 30:688-94. 2009..In conclusion, this report contributes to the demonstration of the causative role of the TARDBP gene in ALS pathogenesis and indicates that mutations may affect the stability of the protein even in nonneuronal tissues...
- Posttraumatic epilepsy: neuroradiologic and neuropsychological assessment of long-term outcomeLetizia Mazzini
Department of Neurology, San Giovanni Bosco Hospital, Torino, Italy
Epilepsia 44:569-74. 2003....
- Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells from healthy donors and sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patientsIvana Ferrero
Department of Pediatrics, Regina Margherita Children s Hospital, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Cell Transplant 17:255-66. 2008..Hence, there is a good chance that MSCs might be used as a cell-based therapy for ALS patients...
- Motor neuron disease: usefulness of transcranial magnetic stimulation in improving the diagnosisG Miscio
Department of Neurology, Salvatore Maugeri Foundation, IRCCS, Rehabilitation Institute, Veruno NO, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 110:975-81. 1999..In conclusion, TMS provides important diagnostic information for an early prediction of ALS in those MND patients presenting with clinically equivocal UMN impairment...
- The structured assessment of depression in brain-damaged individuals: translation and validation study of the Italian versionF Monaco
Department of Neurology, Amedeo Avogadro University, Novara, Italy
Neurol Sci 26:182-4. 2005..51; correlation between caregiver and physician diagnosis was 0.60. The Italian version of the SADBD was demonstrated to be acceptable, reliable and a valid measure of depression in patients with stroke...
- Early symptom progression rate is related to ALS outcome: a prospective population-based studyA Chio
Division of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience, University of Torino and Azienda Ospedaliera S Giovanni Battista, Torino, Italy
Neurology 59:99-103. 2002..To define the factors related to ALS outcome in a population-based, prospective survey...
- Variations in the coding and regulatory sequences of the angiogenin (ANG) gene are not associated to ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) in the Italian populationLucia Corrado
Laboratory of Human Genetics, Department of Medical Sciences and IRCAD Interdisciplinary Research Center of Autoimmune Diseases, Eastern Piedmont University, Novara, Italy
J Neurol Sci 258:123-7. 2007..In conclusion, we did not detect the association with rs11701-G or with any other newly detected variation in the ANG regulatory region. Furthermore we did not identify potentially causal mutations in the coding region...
- Mutations of FUS gene in sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosisLucia Corrado
Department of Medical Sciences, Via Solaroli, 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
J Med Genet 47:190-4. 2010..Mutations in the FUS gene have recently been discovered to be a major cause of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (FALS)...
- Stem-cell therapy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisLetizia Mazzini
Lancet 364:1936-7. 2004
- Report from the Italian Ministerial Committee regarding the diagnosis, care and assistance of patients with ALSCaterina Bendotti
Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord 6:5-7. 2005
- Reliability of the El Escorial diagnostic criteria for amyotrophic lateral sclerosisEttore Beghi
Clinica Neurologica, Ospedale San Gerardo, Monza, Italia
Neuroepidemiology 21:265-70. 2002..The accuracy of the El Escorial criteria was tested in clinical practice, but the reliability is unknown when the diagnosis of ALS must be assessed on the basis of medical records...
- The cortico-diaphragmatic pathway involvement in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: neurophysiological, respiratory and clinical considerationsGiacinta Miscio
Department of Neurology and Neurorehabilitation, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, IRCCS, Piancavallo VB, Italy
J Neurol Sci 251:10-6. 2006..In conclusion, cortico-diaphragmatic study is a sensitive measure to reveal subclinical diaphragmatic impairment although not correlated to respiratory measures...