Affiliation: Catholic University, School of Medicine
Location: Rome, Italy
Musculoskeletal Radiology (Radiography, CT, MR)
Department of Bioimaging and Radiological Sciences
Catholic University, School of Medicine
Policlinico A. Gemelli
Largo A. Gemelli, 1
1) Lumbar intervertebral instability: a review. Radiology 2007; 245: 62-77. Review.
2) Occipital Condyle Fractures: A Review. Radiology 2000; 216: 635-644.
3) Lumbosacral Junction Injuries Associated with Unstable Pelvic Fractures. Diagnosis and Classification. Radiology 1997; 205: 253-259.
4) Lumbar spondylolysis: a review. Skeletal Radiol. 2011. 40 (6): 683- 700.
5) Vertebroplasty for symptomatic monostotic Paget disease. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2011 Mar; 22(3):400-403.
6) MR in the evaluation of new anterior cruciate ligament and tibial tunnel position: correlation with clinical and functional features. Radiol Med. 2011 Apr 19. Epub ahead of print]
7) Particular imaging features and customized thermal ablation treatment for intramedullary osteoid osteoma in pediatric patients Skeletal Radiol. 2011 Mar 15. [Epub ahead of print]
8) Impact of Radiotherapy on Pain Relief and Recalcification in Plasma Cell Neoplasms : Long-Term Experience. Strahlenther Onkol. 2011 Feb;187(2):114-119.
9) Necrosis of mesenteric lymph nodes in Henoch-Schönlein purpura. Rheumatol Int. 2011 Jan 22. [Epub ahead of print]
10) Long-term response after 6-year treatment with anakinra and onset of focal bone erosion in neonatal-onset multisystem inflammatory disease (NOMID/CINCA). Rheumatol Int. 2011 Jan 15. [Epub ahead of print]
11) Occipital porencephaly in a child with gyrate atrophy of the choroid and retina. J AAPOS. 2010 Oct;14(5):462-464.
12) MR imaging of atlantoaxial joint in early rheumatoid arthritis. Radiol Med. 2010 Oct;115(7):1111-1120.
13) Degenerative lumbar intervertebral instability: what is it and how does imaging contribute? Skeletal Radiol 2009; 38: 529-533.
14) Advantages of a “two-step” procedure for the school-based scoliosis screening. Radiol Med. 2010 Mar;115(2):238-45. Epub 2009 Sep 29.
15) Unilateral hyperplasia of the left posterior arch and associated vertebral schisis at C6 level. Skeletal Radiol. 2009 Dec; 38(12):1191-5. Epub 2009 Jul 25.
16) Periprosthetic mineralization changes around femoral stems: a prospective 12-month study with DEXA. Skeletal Radiol. 2008; 37(8): 723-729.
17) Imaging of Metabolic Bone Diseases. Radiol Clin N. Am 2008; 46(4):735-754.
18) Evaluation of magnetic resonance signal modification induced by hyaluronic acid therapy in chondromalacia patellae: a preliminary study.J of Biol Regul & Homeost Agents. 2008; 22: 247-252.
19) The ultrasonographic deep sulcus sign in traumatic pneumothorax. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2006; 32(8):1157-1163.
20) Soft-tissue mineralization in Werner syndrome. Skeletal Radiol 2005; 34(1):47-51.
21) Lumbar nerve root "walled" by a calcified herniated mass in a young patient. Childs Nerv Syst. 2003; 19: 384-386.
22) Chordoma of the low cervical spine presenting with Horner’s syndrome. Eur Radiol 2002; 12: 43-47.
23) Destructive Spondyloarthropathy of the Cervical Spine in Long-Term Hemodialyzed patients: A Five Year Clinical Radiological Prospective Study. Skeletal Radiol 2001; 30: 431-441.
24) Pelvic ring and acetabular fractures. Radiol Med 2002; 103 (S 1): 111- 121.
25) Sonographic Diagnosis of Distal Biceps Tendon Rupture. J Ultrasound Med 2001; 20(6): 587-595.
26) Tunneling Schmorl’s Nodes in an Elderly Woman Treated for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Skeletal Radiol 2000; 29: 660-663.
27) A rare cause of Lumbar Radiculopathy: Spinal gas collection. J. Spinal Disorders 2000; 13: 451-454.
28) Acetabular fractures.. Radiol Med 1995; 89: 195-202.
29) The role of computed tomography and magnetic resonance in assessing degenerative arthropathy of the lumbar articular facets. Radiol Med 1994; 88: 547-552.
30) Pelvic ring fractures. Radiol Med 1992; 83: 602-607
31) Rounded Atelectasis: Considerations on its Radiological Diagnosis. Diagn. Imag. Clin. Med. 1985; 55: 293-310.
32) Solitary chondromas of the hands. Clinical and anatomo-radiological aspects. Radiol Med 1982; 68: 367-372.
33) Mucous cysts of the bone or osseous "ganglia": clinical and anatomo-radiological considerations. Radiol Med 1982; 68: 489-493.
34) Opaque arthrography in the study of meniscal lesions: diagnostic interpretative problems. Radiol Med 1981; 67: 921-926.
35) Bone lesions in vibration induced disease: radiological study Radiol Med 1979; 65: 899-903.
36) Combined diagnostic imaging of a non-traumatic swelling of the popliteal cavity. Rays 2004; 29: 223-228.
37) Degenerative Disease of the Lumbosacral Spine: Disk Herniation and Stenosis. Rays 2000; 25(1): 35-48.
38) Primary Bone Tumors and Pseudotumors of the Lumbosacral Spine. Rays 2000; 25(1): 89-104.
39) Postoperative Lumbar Spine. Rays 2000; 25(1): 116-125.
40) Biomechanics of the Spine. Rays 2000; 25(1): 11-18.
41) Imaging in Degenerative Disease of the Spine. Rays 2000; 25(1): 19-34.
42) The Lumbar Spine: Imaging in Rheumatic Disease Rays 2000; 25(1): 49-62.
43) Imaging of Sacroiliac Joints. Rays 2000; 25(1): 63-74.
44) Combined Imaging in Spondylodiscitis. Rays 2000; 25(1): 75-88.
45) Diagnostic Imaging of Musculoskeletal Tuberculosis. Rays 1998; 23: 144-163.
46) Diagnostic Imaging of Neurotuberculosis. Rays 1998; 23 (1): 165-180.
47) Digital Radiography in Neuroradiology. Rays 1992; 17: 525-538.
48) Reiter’s Syndrome. Rays 1989; 13: 253-257.
49) Myeloid Metaplasia: a Difficult Radiological Diagnosis. Rays 1983; 8: 31-38.
50) Adrenal Ganglioneuroblastoma Associated with Horseshoe Kidney: a Case Report. Rays 1982; 7: 33-36.
51) Diastrophic Dwarfism: Radiologic Features and Nosographic Appearance. Rays 1982; 7: 43-48.
52) Agenesis of the Sacral Spine. Rays 1981; 6: 367-372.
53) Early Radiotherapy of Cervical Lymphonodes in Laryngeal Carcinoma. Rays 1980; 5: 85-89.
- Leone A, Costantini A, Guglielmi G, Settecasi C, Priolo F. Primary bone tumors and pseudotumors of the lumbosacral spine. Rays. 2000;25:89-103 pubmed..The imaging features of these lesions are often characteristic. Radiologists should be aware of the appearance of these unusual tumors in order to provide a complete differential diagnosis. ..
- Pedicelli A, Papacci F, Leone A, De Simone C, De Simone C, Meglio M, et al. Vertebroplasty for symptomatic monostotic Paget disease. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2011;22:400-3 pubmed publisher..PV is proposed as a primary treatment for back pain secondary to PD when unresponsive to conservative therapy and when not associated with other complications. ..
- Tamburrelli F, Leone A, Pitta L. A rare cause of lumbar radiculopathy: spinal gas collection. J Spinal Disord. 2000;13:451-4 pubmed..Magnetic resonance imaging had not been used before in the referred cases and proved conclusively the discal origin of the gas. ..
- Leone A, Cerase A, Tarquini E, Mule A. Chordoma of the low cervical spine presenting with Horner's syndrome. Eur Radiol. 2002;12 Suppl 3:S43-7 pubmed..This clinical presentation is uncommon for cervical chordomas and resulted from the tumor growth in the left carotid space resulting in the total encasement of common carotid artery and involvement of sympathetic fibers ipsilaterally. ..
- Aulisa L, Pitta L, Aulisa A, Mastantuoni G, Pola E, Leone A. Lumbar nerve root "walled" by a calcified herniated mass in a young patient. Childs Nerv Syst. 2003;19:384-6 pubmed..Only a few cases with evidence of calcification of the herniated portion of the disc have been previously described. In none of them was the phenomenon was so pronounced that it sealed the nerve root completely. ..
- Leone A, Costantini A, Brigida R, Antoniol O, Antonelli Incalzi R, Bonomo L. Soft-tissue mineralization in Werner syndrome. Skeletal Radiol. 2005;34:47-51 pubmed..Moreover, there is no mention of bony masses associated with Werner syndrome in the world literature, and this would appear to be the first report of this kind. ..
- Pantalone O, Nanni M, Brezzi M, Molinari F, Leone A. Combined diagnostic imaging of a non-traumatic swelling of the popliteal cavity. Rays. 2004;29:223-8 pubmed..The collected diagnostic information did not allow a definitive diagnosis that was established only after biopsy. ..
- Soldati G, Testa A, Pignataro G, Portale G, Biasucci D, Leone A, et al. The ultrasonographic deep sulcus sign in traumatic pneumothorax. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2006;32:1157-63 pubmed..It reflects accurately the extent of pneumothorax if compared with CT scan, outlining the "ultrasonographic deep sulcus sign" on anterior chest wall. ..
- Leone A, Costantini A, Guglielmi G, Tancioni V, Moschini M. Degenerative disease of the lumbosacral spine: disk herniation and stenosis. Rays. 2000;25:35-48 pubmed..Despite the continuous improvement in magnetic resonance scanning for this purpose, computed tomography can provide excellent screening for disk herniation and spinal stenosis. ..
- Magarelli N, Simone F, Amelia R, Leone A, Bosello S, D Antona G, et al. MR imaging of atlantoaxial joint in early rheumatoid arthritis. Radiol Med. 2010;115:1111-20 pubmed publisher..Therefore, MR imaging should be included in the diagnostic workup in order to provide reliable guidance for treatment choices. ..
- Guglielmi G, Muscarella S, Leone A, Peh W. Imaging of metabolic bone diseases. Radiol Clin North Am. 2008;46:735-54, vi pubmed publisher..The early diagnosis of osteoporosis, thanks to evermore precise devices, becomes, therefore, fundamental to prevent complications of disease and unnecessary suffering. ..
- Magarelli N, Palmieri D, Ottaviano L, Savastano M, Barbato M, Leone A, et al. Evaluation of magnetic resonance signal modification induced by hyaluronic acid therapy in chondromalacia patellae: a preliminary study. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2008;22:247-52 pubmed..MRI represents a valid tool to evaluate the grade of chondromalacia patellae and also to follow the cartilage modification induced by HA therapy...
- Esposito G, De Bonis P, Tamburrini G, Massimi L, Byvaltsev V, Di Rocco C, et al. Unilateral hyperplasia of the left posterior arch and associated vertebral schisis at C6 level. Skeletal Radiol. 2009;38:1191-5 pubmed publisher..Only one previous study has reported a similar congenital anomaly, but it was limited to the left side of the spinous process. ..
- Leone A, Guglielmi G, Cassar Pullicino V, Bonomo L. Lumbar intervertebral instability: a review. Radiology. 2007;245:62-77 pubmed....
- Rigante D, Savastano M, Leone A, Falsini B, Baldascino A, La Torraca I, et al. Occipital porencephaly in a child with gyrate atrophy of the choroid and retina. J AAPOS. 2010;14:462-4 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report showing an association of porencephaly with gyrate atrophy of the choroid and retina...
- Galli M, Leone A, Tamburrelli F, Pirronti T, Aulisa A. Periprosthetic mineralization changes around femoral stems: a prospective 12-month study with DEXA. Skeletal Radiol. 2008;37:723-9 pubmed publisher..004); the comparison between the single ROIs showed decalcification in ROIs 2 and 7 and a density increment in ROI 5. Bihapro stems appear to achieve adequate proximal fixation, avoiding the "stress shielding" phenomenon. ..
- Leone A, Sundaram M, Cerase A, Magnavita N, Tazza L, Marano P. Destructive spondyloarthropathy of the cervical spine in long-term hemodialyzed patients: a five-year clinical radiological prospective study. Skeletal Radiol. 2001;30:431-41 pubmed..DSA of the cervical spine is often clinically silent. Pathogenesis of DSA may be multifactorial but its progression is most influenced by the duration of hemodialysis. On MR imaging, DSA may mimic spondylodiscitis. ..
- Leone A, Cerase A, Lauro L, Cianfoni A, Aulisa L. Postoperative lumbar spine. Rays. 2000;25:125-36 pubmed....
- Leone A, Cassar Pullicino V, Semprini A, Tonetti L, Magarelli N, Colosimo C. Neuropathic osteoarthropathy with and without superimposed osteomyelitis in patients with a diabetic foot. Skeletal Radiol. 2016;45:735-54 pubmed publisher....
- Leone A, Marino M, Dell Atti C, Zecchi V, Magarelli N, Colosimo C. Spinal fractures in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Rheumatol Int. 2016;36:1335-46 pubmed publisher....
- Leone A, Cassar Pullicino V, D Aprile P, Nasuto M, Guglielmi G. Computed Tomography and MR Imaging in Spondyloarthritis. Radiol Clin North Am. 2017;55:1009-1021 pubmed publisher..MR imaging is the modality of choice for early diagnosis, because of its ability to depict inflammation long before structural bone damage occurs, for monitoring of disease activity, and for evaluating therapeutic response. ..