Genomes and Genes
- Short- and intermediate-term efficacy of buprenorphine TDS in chronic painful neuropathiesPaola Penza
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, Fondazione IRCCS National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 13:283-8. 2008..In our study, which needs to be confirmed by a controlled trial, buprenorphine TDS induced clinically meaningful pain relief in about 40% of patients with chronic painful neuropathy, suggesting its use as a third-line treatment...
- Small fibre neuropathiesGiuseppe Lauria
Immunology and Muscular Pathology Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Curr Opin Neurol 18:591-7. 2005..To summarize the recent advances in aetiology, diagnostic assessment, and treatment of small fibre neuropathies...
- Docetaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy: protective effects of dihydroprogesterone and progesterone in an experimental modelIlaria Roglio
Department of Endocrinology and Center of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 14:36-44. 2009..Our study confirmed that neuroactive steroids exert a protective effect on peripheral nerves at different levels, suggesting that they might represent a new therapeutic frontier for patients with chemotherapy-induced neuropathy...
- The neuroprotective effect of erythropoietin in docetaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy causes no reduction of antitumor activity in 13762 adenocarcinoma-bearing ratsIlaria Cervellini
Department of Molecular Biochemistry and Pharmacology, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Neurotox Res 18:151-60. 2010..Since CINP induced by DOCE reproduces the clinical utility of taxane in humans, the findings reported might provide a basis for investigating EPO as a neuroprotective agent in patients receiving therapy with DOCE...
- Continuous buprenorphine delivery effect in streptozotocine-induced painful diabetic neuropathy in ratsAnnalisa Canta
Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Technologies, University of Milan Bicocca, Milan, Italy
J Pain 10:961-8. 2009..Both doses of buprenorphine significantly reversed the diabetes-induced allodynia up to day 7 of treatment. Buprenorphine did not alter either thermal perception or NCV...
- Expression of capsaicin receptor immunoreactivity in human peripheral nervous system and in painful neuropathiesGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 11:262-71. 2006..Our findings demonstrated that TRPV1 is normally expressed throughout the nociceptive pathway of PNS and that TRPV1-positive peripheral nerve fibers degenerate in painful neuropathies...
- Cisplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy: neuroprotection by erythropoietin without affecting tumour growthRoberto Bianchi
Mario Negri Institute of Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer 43:710-7. 2007..0 and 1.5 mg/kg twice a week for four weeks) was neuroprotective without influencing the effectiveness of the treatment or tumour growth. EPO thus appears to be an effective neuroprotectant that does not interfere with tumour treatment...
- Protective effect of erythropoietin and its carbamylated derivative in experimental Cisplatin peripheral neurotoxicityRoberto Bianchi
Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 12:2607-12. 2006..We have successfully identified derivatives of erythropoietin, including carbamylated erythropoietin, which do not raise the hematocrit but retain the neuroprotective action exerted by erythropoietin...
- "Burning tongue" and "burning tip": the diagnostic challenge of the burning mouth syndromePaola Penza
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation Carlo Besta National Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Clin J Pain 26:528-32. 2010..To investigate the clinical features of burning mouth syndrome (BMS) in a large cohort of patients and to correlate them with the results of tongue biopsy...
- Small fiber neuropathy: is skin biopsy the holy grail?Giuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Curr Diab Rep 12:384-92. 2012..This paper reviews usefulness and limitations of skin biopsy and the relationship between degeneration and regeneration of small nerve fibers in patients with diabetes and metabolic syndrome...
- Painful neuropathy in subclinical hypothyroidism: clinical and neuropathological recovery after hormone replacement therapyPaola Penza
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria, 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 30:149-51. 2009..Subclinical hypothyroidism is a possible cause of sensory neuropathy and hormone replacement therapy can prompt nerve regeneration...
- Alpha-lipoic acid prevents mitochondrial damage and neurotoxicity in experimental chemotherapy neuropathyGiorgia Melli
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria, 11 20133, Milan, Italy
Exp Neurol 214:276-84. 2008..These findings suggest that alpha-lipoic acid might reduce the risk of developing peripheral nerve toxicity in patients undergoing chemotherapy and encourage further confirmatory clinical trials...
- Small fibre neuropathyGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Curr Opin Neurol 25:542-9. 2012..This review summarizes the most recent advances in classification, diagnostic assessment, and treatment of small fibre neuropathy (SFN)...
- Electroacupuncture is not effective in chronic painful neuropathiesPaola Penza
Neuromuscular Disease Unit Anesthesiology Unit, IRCCS Foundation, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, Milan, Italy
Pain Med 12:1819-23. 2011..To investigate the analgesic efficacy of electroacupuncture (EA) in patients with chronic painful neuropathy...
- Foot pad skin biopsy in mouse models of hereditary neuropathyPatrizia Dacci
Department of Neurology, Division of Neuroscience and INSPE, Neuropathology Unit, Milan, Italy
Glia 58:2005-16. 2010..Our data indicate that SB may reveal distal axonal pathology in mouse models and permits sequential follow-up of the neuropathy in an individual mouse, thereby reducing the number of mice necessary to document pathology of the PNS...
- Intraepidermal nerve fiber density in rat foot pad: neuropathologic-neurophysiologic correlationGiuseppe Lauria
Immunology and Muscular Pathology Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 10:202-8. 2005..Our study demonstrated that IENF density quantification correlates with SNCV changes and suggests that this might represent a useful outcome measurement in experimental neuropathies...
- Intraepidermal nerve fiber density at the distal leg: a worldwide normative reference studyGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 15:202-7. 2010..002). Height, weight, or BMI did not influence the calculated 5th percentile IENF normative densities in both genders. Our study provides IENF density normative reference values at the distal leg to be used in clinical practice...
- Erythropoietin in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a pilot, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and tolerabilityGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, Milan, Italy
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 10:410-5. 2009..RhEPO treatment was safe and well tolerated in ALS patients. Our results suggest that larger studies are warranted to confirm safety of treatment and to investigate different dose schedule and efficacy...
- Altered peripheral myelination in mice lacking GABAB receptorsValerio Magnaghi
Department of Endocrinology and Centre of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133, Milan, Italy
Mol Cell Neurosci 37:599-609. 2008..In summary, our findings implicate GABA(B) receptors in the PNS myelination process and raise the possibility that PNS alterations contribute to the sensory phenotypes of GABA(B1)-deficient mice...
- Skin biopsy in painful and immune-mediated neuropathiesGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRRCS Foundation Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 17:38-45. 2012....
- Skin biopsy: a new tool for diagnosing peripheral neuropathyGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, 20133, Milan, Italy
BMJ 334:1159-62. 2007
- Erythropoietin in Friedreich ataxia: no effect on frataxin in a randomized controlled trialCaterina Mariotti
SOSD Genetics of Neurodegenerative and Metabolic Diseases, Fondazione IRCCS, Istituto Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Mov Disord 27:446-9. 2012..Recently, human recombinant erythropoietin was reported to increase frataxin levels in patients with Friedreich ataxia...
- Sensory neuron diseasesAngelo Sghirlanzoni
Neuro Oncology Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Lancet Neurol 4:349-61. 2005..Here we propose a comprehensive approach to the diagnosis of acquired and hereditary SND and discuss clinical, genetic, neurophysiological, neuroradiological, and neuropathological assessments...
- Trigeminal small-fiber sensory neuropathy causes burning mouth syndromeGiuseppe Lauria
Immunology and Muscular Pathology Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria, 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Pain 115:332-7. 2005..These findings shed light into the pathogenesis of this common disorder and could contribute to evaluate targeted therapies in patients...
- Neuroactive steroids and peripheral neuropathyIlaria Roglio
Department of Endocrinology and Center of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133, Milan, Italy
Brain Res Rev 57:460-9. 2008..Therefore, neuroactive steroids, pharmacological agents able to increase their local synthesis and synthetic ligands for their receptors have a promising potential for the treatment of different forms of peripheral neuropathy...
- Skin biopsy as a diagnostic tool in peripheral neuropathyGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Nat Clin Pract Neurol 3:546-57. 2007....
- Screening of the PFN1 gene in sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and in frontotemporal dementiaCinzia Tiloca
Department of Neurology and Laboratory of Neuroscience, IRCCS Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Milan, Italy
Neurobiol Aging 34:1517.e9-10. 2013..G15G in another patient, but none in a panel of 1512 control subjects. Our results suggest that PFN1 mutations in sporadic ALS and in FTD are rare, at least in the Italian population...
- Tubule and neurofilament immunoreactivity in human hairy skin: markers for intraepidermal nerve fibersGiuseppe Lauria
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Division of Neuromuscular Diseases, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Muscle Nerve 30:310-6. 2004..Double-staining studies confirmed that antibodies against cytoskeletal markers can be used to reliably stain skin nerve fibers, suggesting that they might provide insight into specific axonal impairment in peripheral neuropathies...
- Neurophysiological diagnosis of acquired sensory ganglionopathiesGiuseppe Lauria
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Eur Neurol 50:146-52. 2003..We emphasize that distinct abnormalities allow to differentiate ganglionopathies from axonal sensory neuropathies on routine neurophysiological examination...
- Skin biopsy in the management of peripheral neuropathyClaudia Sommer
Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Lancet Neurol 6:632-42. 2007..We also review the association between morphological measures of skin innervation and function and the limits of this method in the aetiological classification of peripheral neuropathies...
- The diagnostic criteria for small fibre neuropathy: from symptoms to neuropathologyGrazia Devigili
Neurological Clinic, University of Ferrara, Italy
Brain 131:1912-25. 2008..6% of them the clinical picture did not change. Spontaneous remission of neuropathic pain occurred in 10.9% of SFN patients, while it worsened in 30.4% of them...
- Erythropoietin both protects from and reverses experimental diabetic neuropathyRoberto Bianchi
Mario Negri Institute of Pharmacological Research, 20157 Milan, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:823-8. 2004..These observations suggest that administration of rhEPO or its analogues may be useful in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy...