- The sustained mood-stabilizing effect of memantine in the management of treatment resistant bipolar disorders: findings from a 12-month naturalistic trialAthanasios Koukopoulos
Centro Lucio Bini, Roma, Italy
J Affect Disord 136:163-6. 2012..To further investigate the therapeutic and prophylactic action of the drug we administered memantine, as augmenting agent, to 40 treatment-resistant bipolar disorder patients, monitored and evaluated for 12 months...
- Mixed features of depression: why DSM-5 is wrong (and so was DSM-IV)Athanasios Koukopoulos
MD, Centro Lucio Bini, Via Crescenzio 42, 00193 Roma, Italy
Br J Psychiatry 203:3-5. 2013..Different criteria, based on empirically stronger evidence than exists for the DSM-5 criteria, should be adopted. ..
- Endogenous and exogenous cyclicity and temperament in bipolar disorder: review, new data and hypothesesAthanasios Koukopoulos
Centro Lucio Bini, Rome, Italy
J Affect Disord 96:165-75. 2006..Finally, a new distinction of Bipolar Disorders, based on premorbid temperament and course of the illness, is considered...
- The primacy of mania: a reconsideration of mood disordersAthanasios Koukopoulos
Centro Lucio Bini, 42, Via Crescenzio, 00193 Rome, Italy
Eur Psychiatry 24:125-34. 2009..Rather than directly lifting mood with antidepressants, the aim would be to suppress manic-like excitation, with depression being secondarily prevented. Potential objections to, and empirical tests of, the PM hypothesis are discussed...
- Mixed depression: clinical features and predictors of its onset associated with antidepressant useGabriele Sani
NESMOS Department Neuroscience, Mental Health, and Sensory Organs, Sapienza University, School of Medicine and Psychology, Sant Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
Psychother Psychosom 83:213-21. 2014..If replicated, this view of MxD could be considered a valid alternative to the DSM-5 criteria for depression with mixed features. © 2014 S. Karger AG, Basel. ..
- Mixed depressive states: nosologic and therapeutic issuesAthanasios Koukopoulos
Centro Lucio Bini, Centre for the Treatment and Research of Affective Disorders, Rome, Italy
Int Rev Psychiatry 17:21-37. 2005....
- Koukopoulos׳ diagnostic criteria for mixed depression: a validation studyGabriele Sani
NESMOS Department Neuroscience, Mental Health, and Sensory Organs, Sapienza University, School of Medicine and Psychology, Sant Andrea Hospital, Via di Grottarossa 1035 1039, 00189, Rome, Italy Centro LucioBini, Rome, Italy IRCCS Santa Lucia Foundation, Department of Clinical and Behavioral Neurology, Neuropsychiatry Laboratory, Rome, Italy Electronic address
J Affect Disord 164:14-8. 2014..The present study validates Koukopoulos׳ criteria as diagnostic for MxD...
- The symptom structure of bipolar acute episodes: in search for the mixing linkIsabella Pacchiarotti
Bipolar Disorders Programme, Institute of Clinical Neuroscience, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, IDIBAPS, CIBERSAM, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
J Affect Disord 149:56-66. 2013....
- Suicide in a large population of former psychiatric inpatientsGabriele Sani
Centro Lucio Bini, Rome, Italy
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 65:286-95. 2011..The aim of this study was to identify predictors of completed suicide in a wide sample of psychiatric inpatients receiving retrospective and prospective DSM-IV diagnoses...
- Ewald Hecker's description of cyclothymia as a cyclical mood disorder: its relevance to the modern concept of bipolar IIAthanasios Koukopoulos
Lucio Bini Center, Via Crescenzioa 42, 00193 Rome, Italy
J Affect Disord 73:199-205. 2003