Affiliation: Istituto Superiore di Sanit
- Surveillance of hepatitis A virus in urban sewages and comparison with cases notified in the course of an outbreak, Italy 2013Giuseppina La Rosa
Department of Environment and Primary Prevention, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 14:419. 2014....
- School closures during the 2009 influenza pandemic: national and local experiencesSimon Cauchemez
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, MRC Centre for Outbreak Analysis and Modelling, School of Public Health, Imperial College, London, UK
BMC Infect Dis 14:207. 2014..Our intention is not to make a systematic review of country experiences; rather, it is to present the diversity of school closure experiences and provide examples from national and local perspectives...
- Pandemic influenza A/H1N1pdm in Italy: age, risk and population susceptibilityStefano Merler
Predictive Models for Biomedicine and Environment, Bruno Kessler Foundation, Trento, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e74785. 2013..The biological or social mechanisms responsible for the observed age-specific risk of infection are still to be deeply investigated...
- Integrated human surveillance systems of West Nile virus infections in Italy: the 2012 experienceChristian Napoli
National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, National Institute of Health Istituto Superiore di Sanità, ISS, Viale Regina Elena, 299 00161 Rome, Italy
Int J Environ Res Public Health 10:7180-92. 2013....
- An infectious disease model on empirical networks of human contact: bridging the gap between dynamic network data and contact matricesAnna Machens
CNRS UMR 7332, CPT, Aix Marseille Universite, Marseille 13288, France
BMC Infect Dis 13:185. 2013..Hence, given a specific disease model, it is crucial to assess which representations of the raw data work best to inform the model, striking a balance between simplicity and detail...
- Surfing the web during pandemic flu: availability of World Health Organization recommendations on preventionFrancesco Gesualdo
Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesu, Rome, Italy
BMC Public Health 10:561. 2010..People often search for information on influenza A(H1N1)v prevention on the web. The extent to which information found on the Internet is consistent with recommendations issued by the World Health Organization is unknown...
- Age-prioritized use of antivirals during an influenza pandemicStefano Merler
Predictive Models for Biomedicine and Environment, Fondazione Bruno Kessler, Trento, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 9:117. 2009..Second, since in some countries the stockpile exceeds the suggested minimum level, we search for optimal strategies for post-exposure prophylactic treatment of close contacts of cases...
- Cross-reactive antibody responses to the 2009 A/H1N1v influenza virus in the Italian population in the pre-pandemic periodCaterina Rizzo
National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanità Rome, Viale Regina Elena 299, Rome, Italy
Vaccine 28:3558-62. 2010..5%, 19.2%, and 58.2%, respectively. The results suggest that the Italian population was not fully naïf to the current pandemic virus and that the possible previous exposure and immune response increases with age...
- Typhoid Fever in Italy, 2000-2006Caterina Rizzo
National Center for Epidemiology Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, 299 00169 Rome, Italy
J Infect Dev Ctries 2:466-8. 2008..Typhoid fever remains endemic in the Apulia region of southern Italy. Here we investigate why this occurs despite increasing levels of environmental public health measures...
- Epidemiology and transmission dynamics of the 1918-19 pandemic influenza in Florence, ItalyCaterina Rizzo
National Centre for Epidemiology Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena, 299 Rome, Italy
Vaccine 29:B27-32. 2011..Our knowledge on past pandemics, as for the 1918-19 Spanish influenza, would help improving mathematical modeling accuracy and understanding the mechanisms underlying the dynamics of future pandemics...
- Scenarios of diffusion and control of an influenza pandemic in ItalyC Rizzo
National Centre for Epidemiology Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Epidemiol Infect 136:1650-7. 2008..2%, at best, although this would require an extremely high number of treated individuals. In accordance with international findings, our results highlight the need to respond to a pandemic with a combination of control measures...
- Influenza-related mortality in the Italian elderly: no decline associated with increasing vaccination coverageCaterina Rizzo
Department of Pharmaco Biology, University of Bari, Italy
Vaccine 24:6468-75. 2006..As in the US, our study challenges current strategies to best protect the elderly against mortality, warranting the need for better controlled trials with alternative vaccination strategies...
- Epidemiological and virological investigation of a Norovirus outbreak in a resort in Puglia, ItalyCaterina Rizzo
Dep of Pharmaco Biology, University of Bari, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 7:135. 2007..This paper describes the third large outbreak of Norovirus (NoV) gastroenteritis reported in the Southern Italy region of Puglia...
- Trends for influenza-related deaths during pandemic and epidemic seasons, Italy, 1969-2001Caterina Rizzo
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, CNESPS, Rome, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 13:694-9. 2007..When comparing northern, central, and southern Italy, we found a high level of synchrony in the amplitude of peaks of influenza-related deaths...
- Prevalence, antimicrobial resistance, and extended-spectrum beta-lactamases characterization of Salmonella isolates in Apulia, southern Italy (2001-2005)Rosa Monno
Department of Internal Medicine and Public Health, University of Bari, I 70124 Bari, Italy
Microb Drug Resist 13:124-9. 2007..Mating experiments showed that the CTX-M-1 determinant was transferable. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of CTX-M-1 type ESBL in Salmonella serovar Bovismorbificans...
- Mitigation measures for pandemic influenza in Italy: an individual based model considering different scenariosMarta Luisa Ciofi degli Atti
National Center for Epidemiology Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
PLoS ONE 3:e1790. 2008....
- Waterborne outbreak of Norwalk-like virus gastroenteritis at a tourist resort, ItalyDelia Boccia
Department of Communicable Disease, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 8:563-8. 2002..Although Italy has no surveillance system for nonbacterial gastroenteritis, no outbreak caused by NLV has been described previously in the country...
- Seroprevalence of Q fever, brucellosis and leptospirosis in farmers and agricultural workers in Bari, Southern ItalyRosa Monno
Department of Internal Medicine and Public Health, Hygiene Section, School of Medicine, University of Bari, Italy, Piazza G Cesare 11, 70124 Bari, Italy
Ann Agric Environ Med 16:205-9. 2009..None of the subjects examined had antibodies to Leptospira and Brucella. Further improvements in the occupational hygiene of the work environment is advisable...
- Efficacy of autovaccination therapy on post-coronary artery bypass grafting methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus mediastinitisCaterina Rizzo
Department of Pharmaco Biology, University of Bari, Italy
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 6:228-9. 2007..We report a case of mediastinitis successfully treated with autovaccine therapy, once conventional surgical and medical therapies had failed...
- MRSA nasal colonization in children: prevalence meta-analysis, review of risk factors and molecular geneticsFrancesco Gesualdo
Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, Rome, Italy
Pediatr Infect Dis J 32:479-85. 2013..We report a meta-analysis of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) nasal colonization prevalence in children and a review of the risk factors as well as molecular genetic characterization...
- Estimated imported infections of Chikungunya and Dengue in Italy, 2008 to 2011Christian Napoli
National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, National Institute of Health Istituto Superiore di Sanità ISS, Rome, Italy
J Travel Med 19:294-7. 2012..Thus, epidemiological surveillance is crucial to rapidly identify imported cases in order to introduce measures to reduce mosquito density in the area...
- Understanding the dynamics of seasonal influenza in Italy: incidence, transmissibility and population susceptibility in a 9-year periodAntonella Lunelli
Department of Mathematics, University of Trento, Trento, Italy
Influenza Other Respir Viruses 7:286-95. 2013..However, little is known about the extent of under-reporting in surveillance data, and thus of the true influenza incidence in the population...
- Characterization of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) isolated at the Policlinico Hospital of Bari (Italy)Marialaura Corrente
Department of Health and Animal Well being, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, Italy
New Microbiol 28:57-65. 2005..Our data suggest that a typing method based on RAPD combined with HVR-PCR may be useful to compare MRSA isolated in a hospital environment, whereas PFGE may be used for further analysis...
- Recombinant K39 immunochromatographic test for diagnosis of human leishmaniasisRosa Monno
Department of Internal Medicine and Public Health, Unit of Hygiene, School of Medicine, University of Bari, Policlinico, Piazza G Cesare 11, 70124 Bari, Italy
Future Microbiol 4:159-70. 2009..In conclusion, the ICT is highly sensitive, specific, rapid, noninvasive and cost effective (euro8.43 for ICT and euro12 for IFA) in the diagnosis of VL in areas of low VL endemicity...
- Incidence of vaccine preventable pneumococcal invasive infections and blood culture practices in ItalyFortunato D'Ancona
National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion Istituto Superiore di Sanità, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Vaccine 23:2494-500. 2005..In Italy, bacteriological culture procedures should be undertaken more frequently to provide decision-makers with reliable estimates of serious vaccine preventable conditions...
- Molecular characterization of rotavirus strains from children with diarrhea in Italy, 2007-2009Franco Maria Ruggeri
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Med Virol 83:1657-68. 2011....
- Seasonal and pandemic influenza vaccine: recommendations to families of at-risk children during the 2009-10 seasonMariateresa Romano
Department of Paediatrics, Bambino Gesu Hospital, Rome, Italy
Eur J Public Health 22:821-4. 2012..6% had not been vaccinated. The majority of immunized children had received specific recommendations by a physician. Physicians involved in the management of children with chronic diseases should actively recommend influenza immunization...
- Estimating pandemic vaccine effectiveness in two Italian regions using the screening method, 2009-2010Thomas Seyler
National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena, 299 Rome, Italy
Vaccine 30:109-11. 2012..The overall crude estimated VE was 92.4% (95% CI: 46.3-98.9). It suggests that the pandemic vaccine offered good protection against medically attended laboratory-confirmed A/H1N1v...
- Dietary intake of unsaturated fatty acids and age-related cognitive decline: a 8.5-year follow-up of the Italian Longitudinal Study on AgingVincenzo Solfrizzi
Department of Geriatrics, Center for Aging Brain, Memory Unit, University of Bari, Policlinico, Piazza G Cesare 11, 70124 Bari, Italy
Neurobiol Aging 27:1694-704. 2006..5-year follow-up. In this prospective population-based study on older nondemented subjects with a typical Mediterranean diet, high MUFA and PUFA intakes appeared to be protective against ARCD...
- Aeromonas sobria sepsis complicated by rhabdomyolysis in an HIV-positive patient: case report and evaluation of traits associated with bacterial virulenceFrancesca Stano
Clinic of Infectious Diseases, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Int J Infect Dis 13:e113-8. 2009....
- How prepared is Europe for pandemic influenza?Marta Luisa Ciofi degli Atti
Lancet 368:25. 2006