Affiliation: Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta
- Painful neuropathy in subclinical hypothyroidism: clinical and neuropathological recovery after hormone replacement therapyPaola Penza
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria, 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 30:149-51. 2009..Subclinical hypothyroidism is a possible cause of sensory neuropathy and hormone replacement therapy can prompt nerve regeneration...
- Electroacupuncture is not effective in chronic painful neuropathiesPaola Penza
Neuromuscular Disease Unit Anesthesiology Unit, IRCCS Foundation, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, Milan, Italy
Pain Med 12:1819-23. 2011..To investigate the analgesic efficacy of electroacupuncture (EA) in patients with chronic painful neuropathy...
- "Burning tongue" and "burning tip": the diagnostic challenge of the burning mouth syndromePaola Penza
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation Carlo Besta National Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Clin J Pain 26:528-32. 2010..To investigate the clinical features of burning mouth syndrome (BMS) in a large cohort of patients and to correlate them with the results of tongue biopsy...
- Protective effect of erythropoietin and its carbamylated derivative in experimental Cisplatin peripheral neurotoxicityRoberto Bianchi
Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 12:2607-12. 2006..We have successfully identified derivatives of erythropoietin, including carbamylated erythropoietin, which do not raise the hematocrit but retain the neuroprotective action exerted by erythropoietin...
- Intraepidermal nerve fiber density in rat foot pad: neuropathologic-neurophysiologic correlationGiuseppe Lauria
Immunology and Muscular Pathology Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 10:202-8. 2005..Our study demonstrated that IENF density quantification correlates with SNCV changes and suggests that this might represent a useful outcome measurement in experimental neuropathies...
- Short- and intermediate-term efficacy of buprenorphine TDS in chronic painful neuropathiesPaola Penza
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, Fondazione IRCCS National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 13:283-8. 2008..In our study, which needs to be confirmed by a controlled trial, buprenorphine TDS induced clinically meaningful pain relief in about 40% of patients with chronic painful neuropathy, suggesting its use as a third-line treatment...
- Erythropoietin in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a pilot, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and tolerabilityGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, Milan, Italy
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 10:410-5. 2009..RhEPO treatment was safe and well tolerated in ALS patients. Our results suggest that larger studies are warranted to confirm safety of treatment and to investigate different dose schedule and efficacy...
- Intraepidermal nerve fiber density at the distal leg: a worldwide normative reference studyGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 15:202-7. 2010..002). Height, weight, or BMI did not influence the calculated 5th percentile IENF normative densities in both genders. Our study provides IENF density normative reference values at the distal leg to be used in clinical practice...
- Trigeminal small-fiber sensory neuropathy causes burning mouth syndromeGiuseppe Lauria
Immunology and Muscular Pathology Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria, 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Pain 115:332-7. 2005..These findings shed light into the pathogenesis of this common disorder and could contribute to evaluate targeted therapies in patients...