Affiliation: Istituto Nazionale Tumori
- Neuroendocrine tumors metastatic to the liver: how to select patients for liver transplantation?Vincenzo Mazzaferro
Gastrointestinal Surgery and Liver Transplantation Unit, National Cancer Institute, Istituto Nazionale Tumori Fondazione IRCCS, Via Venezian 1, Milan 20133, Italy
J Hepatol 47:460-6. 2007
- Radiofrequency ablation of small hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients awaiting liver transplantation: a prospective studyVincenzo Mazzaferro
Gastrointestinal Surgery and Liver Transplantation, National Cancer Institute Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, 20133 Italy
Ann Surg 240:900-9. 2004..Investigate possible predictors of response and assess efficacy and safety of RFA as a bridge to liver transplantation (OLT)...
- Yttrium-90 radioembolization for intermediate-advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: a phase 2 studyVincenzo Mazzaferro
Departments of Surgery, Liver Transplantation and Gastroenterology, Fondazione Istituto Nazionale Tumori IRCCS, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Hepatology 57:1826-37. 2013..Conclusion: Y90RE is an effective treatment in intermediate to advanced HCC, particularly in the case of PVT. Further prospective evaluations comparing Y90RE with conventional treatments are warranted...
- A prospective randomised, open-labeled, trial comparing sirolimus-containing versus mTOR-inhibitor-free immunosuppression in patients undergoing liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinomaAndreas A Schnitzbauer
University Hospital Regensburg, Department of Surgery, Regensburg, Germany
BMC Cancer 10:190. 2010..Therefore, we designed a prospective RCT to determine if the mTOR inhibitor sirolimus can improve hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)-free patient survival in liver transplant (LT) recipients with a pre-transplant diagnosis of HCC...
- Prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence with alpha-interferon after liver resection in HCV cirrhosisVincenzo Mazzaferro
Department of Surgery, Biomedical Statistics, Pathology, National Cancer Institute of Milan and Chair of Gastroenterology, Policlinico Foundation, Department of Medicine, University of Milan, Italy
Hepatology 44:1543-54. 2006..3; 95% CI: 0.09-0.9; P = .04). In conclusion, IFN does not affect overall prevention of HCC recurrence after resection, but it may reduce late recurrence in HCV-pure patients receiving effective treatment...
- Nonhepatic glucose production in humansAlberto Battezzati
International Center for the Assessment of Nutritional Status, DISTAM, University of Milan, 20133 Milan, Italy
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 286:E129-35. 2004..The kidney is the main, but possibly not the unique, source of extrahepatic glucose production...
- The challenges of liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma on cirrhosisSherrie Bhoori
Liver Unit and Hepato Oncology Group, National Cancer Institute, Fondazione Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
Transpl Int 23:712-22. 2010..Accepting this challenge has been part of the history of LT and will endure so also for the future...
- Comparative efficacy of sorafenib versus best supportive care in recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma after liver transplantation: a case-control studyCarlo Sposito
The Hepato Oncology Group, Gastro Intestinal Surgery, Liver Transplantation and Hepatology, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 59:59-66. 2013..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of sorafenib, compared to best supportive care (BSC), in two cohorts of patients which presented with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) recurrence after LT...
- Heat shock proteins and their use as anticancer vaccinesGiorgio Parmiani
Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 10:8142-6. 2004
- Assessment of insulin sensitivity based on a fasting blood sample in men with liver cirrhosis before and after liver transplantationGianluca Perseghin
Nutrition Metabolism, Istituto Scientifico H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Transplantation 76:697-702. 2003..This study aimed to test whether these simple indices are reliable measures of insulin sensitivity in patients with liver cirrhosis before and after liver transplantation (LTx)...
- CT cholangiography: assessment of feasibility and diagnostic reliabilityCarlo Morosi
Department of Radiology, National Cancer Institute, Via Venezian 1, Milan 20100, Italy
Eur J Radiol 72:114-7. 2009..To assess the reliability of computed tomography (CT) cholangiography in evaluating the anatomy of the intrahepatic biliary ducts...
- Natural killer and NK-Like T-cell activation in colorectal carcinoma patients treated with autologous tumor-derived heat shock protein 96Lorenzo Pilla
Unit of Immunotherapy of Human Tumors, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
Cancer Res 65:3942-9. 2005..Altogether, these findings identify the activation of the NK compartment as an additional immunologic effect of autologous tumor-derived HSP96 administration in cancer patients...
- Personalized molecular targeted therapy in advanced, recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma after liver transplantation: a proof of principleSherrie Bhoori
Liver Unit, Hepato Oncology Group and Molecular Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Fondazione Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 52:771-5. 2010..For several aberrantly activated pathways in hepatocarcinoma, surrogate markers of activation can be assessed by immunohistochemistry, although associations with in vivo response to targeted therapies are still lacking...
- Predicting survival after liver transplantation in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma beyond the Milan criteria: a retrospective, exploratory analysisVincenzo Mazzaferro
National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Lancet Oncol 10:35-43. 2009....
- Resting energy expenditure in diabetic and nondiabetic patients with liver cirrhosis: relation with insulin sensitivity and effect of liver transplantation and immunosuppressive therapyGianluca Perseghin
Division of Internal Medicine, Istituto H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Am J Clin Nutr 76:541-8. 2002..Hypermetabolism, insulin resistance, and diabetes are common in patients with liver cirrhosis...
- Heat shock proteins: biological functions and clinical application as personalized vaccines for human cancerChiara Castelli
Unit of Immunotherapy of Human Tumors, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Via G Venezian 1, 20133, Milan, Italy
Cancer Immunol Immunother 53:227-33. 2004..The immunological properties of these proteins and their implications for vaccine in human cancer will be discussed. Immunological and clinical data of phase I/II studies in melanoma and colorectal cancer patients will be reviewed...
- Transhepatic anterior approach to the inferior vena cava in large retroperitoneal tumors resected en bloc with the right liver lobeJorgelina Coppa
Hepato Pancreato Biliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation Unit, Istituto Nazionale Tumori National Cancer Institute IRCCS Foundation, Milan, Italy
Surgery 154:1061-8. 2013..The anterior approach to the IVC associated with the hanging maneuver for liver transection, originally described in large hepatic tumors, may also facilitate removal of large masses set behind the liver...
- Liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinomaVincenzo Mazzaferro
Department of Surgery, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1001-7. 2008....
- Evidence of distinct tumour-propagating cell populations with different properties in primary human hepatocellular carcinomaFederico Colombo
Experimental Hepatology Laboratory, Centre of Transfusion Medicine, Cellular Therapy and Cryobiology, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e21369. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate and characterise tumour-propagating cell (TPC) compartments within human hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Results of liver transplantation: with or without Milan criteria?Vincenzo Mazzaferro
Gastrointestinal Surgery and Liver Transplantation Unit, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Liver Transpl 13:S44-7. 2007
- Amino acid kinetics during the anhepatic phase of liver transplantationAlberto Battezzati
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Diabetes 51:1690-8. 2002..The initial events after liver removal are an accumulation of three-carbon compounds, an acceleration of alanine turnover, and limited nitrogen storage in alanine and glutamine...
- Fibroblastic reticular cell tumor of the spleen: report of a case and review of the entityMaritza Martel
Department of Pathology, Hepato Pancreato Biliary Unit, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Hum Pathol 34:954-7. 2003..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of malignant FBRC tumor arising in the spleen. The differential diagnosis of splenic tumors with inflammatory pseudotumor-like features is discussed...
- Solid-pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas (Frantz tumor) in childrenMichela Casanova
Pediatric Oncology Unit, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via G Venezian, Milano, Italy
Med Pediatr Oncol 41:74-6. 2003
- Etoposide, cisplatin, epirubicin chemotherapy in the treatment of pediatric liver tumorsMichela Casanova
Pediatric Oncology Unit, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via Venezian, 1 20133 Milano, Italy
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 22:189-98. 2005..EPE chemotherapy seems to be effective in the treatment of childhood malignant liver tumors. Etoposide could be suggested as part of intensive multidrug regimens for HCC and high-risk HB...
- Vaccination with autologous tumor-derived heat-shock protein gp96 after liver resection for metastatic colorectal cancerVincenzo Mazzaferro
Units of Hepatobiliary and Gastro Pancreatic Surgery, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura Tumori, 20133 Milan, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 9:3235-45. 2003..Feasibility, safety, and possible clinical benefits were also evaluated...
- Percutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage in the management of postsurgical biliary leaks in patients with nondilated intrahepatic bile ductsGuido Cozzi
Department of Radiology, Radiologia 3 Unit, National Cancer Institute Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 29:380-8. 2006....
- Thyroid as a target of metastases. A case of foregut neuroendocrine carcinoma with multiple abdominal metastases and a thyroid localization after 21 yearsFranco Mattavelli
Otorhinolaryngology Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Tumori 94:110-3. 2008..e., a medullary thyroid carcinoma. This case report is peculiar because of the multiple sites of abdominal relapses, the long time interval between relapses (21 years), and the positive outcome after surgical treatment...
- Integrative molecular analysis of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma reveals 2 classes that have different outcomesDaniela Sia
Barcelona Clínic Liver Cancer Group HCC Translational Research Laboratory, Liver Unit, Pathology Department, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Gastroenterology 144:829-40. 2013..We performed an integrative genomic analysis of ICC samples from a large series of patients...
- Candidates for liver transplantation for cancer: physical, psychological, and social conditionsLaura Gangeri
Psychology and Liver Surgery and Transplantation Units, National Cancer Institute, 20133 Milan, Italy
Transplantation 73:1627-35. 2002..There is little knowledge of the psychological and social conditions of candidates for liver transplantation and the meaning that these patients attribute to those conditions...
- Importance of early nutritional screening in patients with gastric cancerCecilia Gavazzi
Clinical Nutrition Unit, National Cancer Institute, Via Venezian 1, 20133 Milan, Italy
Br J Nutr 106:1773-8. 2011..Moreover, NRS is directly correlated with tumour stage and inversely correlated with QoL, which makes it a useful tool to identify patients in need of an early nutritional intervention during oncological treatments...
- Prognostic role of pancreatic metastases from renal cell carcinoma: results from an Italian centerPaolo Grassi
Medical Oncology Unit 1, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
Clin Genitourin Cancer 11:484-8. 2013..The prognostic value of pancreatic metastases in the era of TTs is unclear. We evaluated outcomes in a cohort of mRCC patients with pancreatic metastases (PmRCC) who were treated with TTs...
- Gene-expression signature of vascular invasion in hepatocellular carcinomaBeatriz Minguez
Mount Sinai Liver Cancer Program, Division of Liver Diseases, Department of Medicine, Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Department of Pathology, Department of Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Hepatol 55:1325-31. 2011..While macroscopic vascular invasion can be detected by radiological techniques, pre-operative detection of microscopic vascular invasion, which complicates 30-40% of patients with early tumors, remains elusive...
- Simultaneous characterization of progenitor cell compartments in adult human liverLaura Porretti
Center of Transfusion Medicine, Cellular Therapy and Cryobiology, IRCCS Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan, Italy
Cytometry A 77:31-40. 2010..We also optimized a flow cytometry approach that will be useful in exploring the contribution of these cells to the pathogenesis of liver disease...
- Feasibility of peritonectomy associated with intraperitoneal hyperthermic perfusion in patients with Pseudomyxoma peritoneiMarcello Deraco
Department of Surgery, Melanoma and Sarcoma Unit, National Cancer Institute of Milan, Italy
Tumori 88:370-5. 2002....
- Failure of Intravenous Silibinin Monotherapy to Prevent Hepatitis C Genotype 2A Liver Graft ReinfectionAlessio Aghemo
Angela Maria e Antonio Migliavacca Center for Liver Disease, First Division of Gastroenterology, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Hepat Mon 12:411-4. 2012..Based on these findings, we decided to offer such a therapy to a 65 year old woman on the oLT list...
- Human tumor-derived heat shock protein 96 mediates in vitro activation and in vivo expansion of melanoma- and colon carcinoma-specific T cellsLicia Rivoltini
Unit of Immunotherapy of Human Tumor, Gastrointestinal and Liver Surgery Unit, and Colorectal Surgery Unit, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
J Immunol 171:3467-74. 2003....
- Helicobacter species sequences in liver samples from patients with and without hepatocellular carcinomaRinaldo Pellicano
Ambulatorio di Gastroenterologia, Ospedale S Giovanni Battista, Via Chiabrera 34, III piano, 10126 Torino, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 10:598-601. 2004..We investigated whether Helicobacter spp. sequences could be detected in the liver of patients with cirrhosis and HCC compared to subjects with metastasis to liver from colon cancer...
- Focal gains of VEGFA and molecular classification of hepatocellular carcinomaDerek Y Chiang
Department of Medical Oncology and Center for Cancer Genome Discovery, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Res 68:6779-88. 2008..Furthermore, the prevalence of VEGFA high-level gains in multiple tumor types suggests indications for clinical trials of antiangiogenic therapies...
- Living donor liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma exceeding conventional criteria: questions, answers and demands for a common languagePietro Majno
Liver Transpl 12:896-8. 2006
- A molecular signature to discriminate dysplastic nodules from early hepatocellular carcinoma in HCV cirrhosisJosep M Llovet
Mount Sinai Liver Cancer Program, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York 10029, USA
Gastroenterology 131:1758-67. 2006..Small liver nodules approximately 2 cm are difficult to characterize by radiologic or pathologic examination. Our aim was to identify a molecular signature to diagnose early hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Downregulation of KLF6 is an early event in hepatocarcinogenesis, and stimulates proliferation while reducing differentiationSigal Kremer-Tal
Division of Liver Diseases and Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Hepatol 46:645-54. 2007..Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) has the most rapidly rising cancer incidence in the US and Europe. The KLF6 tumor suppressor is frequently inactivated in HCC by loss-of-heterozygosity (LOH) and/or mutation...
- Genome-wide molecular profiles of HCV-induced dysplasia and hepatocellular carcinomaElisa Wurmbach
Mount Sinai Liver Cancer Program, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Hepatology 45:938-47. 2007....
- Resection, transplantation, either, or both? Other pieces of the puzzlePietro Majno
Liver Transpl 11:1177-80. 2005
- Split and whole liver transplantation outcomes: a comparative cohort studyMassimo Cardillo
Transplant Immunology and Blood Bank, Maggiore Policlinico Hospital, Milano, Italy
Liver Transpl 12:402-10. 2006..2 to 16.2% was observed. Such results justify a more widespread adoption of SLT protocols, organizational difficulties not being a limit for the application of such technique...
- Resection and liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinomaJosep M Llovet
BCLC Group, Liver Unit, Digestive Disease Institute, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Semin Liver Dis 25:181-200. 2005..Living donor liver transplantation is having a minor impact in HCC management. Molecular markers are needed to better select the candidates for surgery...
- Prophylaxis of hepatitis B virus recurrence after liver transplantation in carriers of lamivudine-resistant mutantsAlfredo Marzano
Department of Gastroenterology, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Turin, Italy
Liver Transpl 11:532-8. 2005....
- Sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular carcinomaJosep M Llovet
Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer Group, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Centro de Investigaciones en Red de Enfermedades Hepáticas y Digestivas Hospital Clínic Barcelona, Barcelona
N Engl J Med 359:378-90. 2008..A preliminary study suggested that sorafenib, an oral multikinase inhibitor of the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor, the platelet-derived growth factor receptor, and Raf may be effective in hepatocellular carcinoma...
- The place of liver transplantation in the treatment of hepatic epitheloid hemangioendothelioma: report of the European liver transplant registryJan P Lerut
Abdominal Transplant Unit, University Hospitals St Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Surg 246:949-57; discussion 957. 2007..Hepatic epitheloid hemangioendothelioma (HEHE) is a rare low-grade vascular tumor. Its treatment algorithm is still unclear mainly due to a lack of larger clinical experiences with detailed long-term follow-up...
- Chromosome instability in human hepatocellular carcinoma depends on p53 status and aflatoxin exposurePascal Pineau
Unité d Organisation Nucléaire et Oncogénèse, INSERM U579, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Mutat Res 653:6-13. 2008..4% vs. 16.7%, p<0.0001). We suggest that AFB1-associated mutagenesis represents a plausible cause for the higher chromosome instability observed in Chinese HCCs, when compared with European primary liver carcinomas...
- Transthyretin RNA profiling in livers from transplanted patients affected by familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy, and identification of a dual transcription start pointPaola Rimessi
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale e Diagnostica, Sezione di Genetica Medica, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Liver Int 26:211-20. 2006..RNA analysis revealed that this region is represented in all foetal/adult tissues analysed. We discussed the implications of this finding which might provide perspectives for better understanding the TTR gene expression...