Affiliation: Istituto Superiore di Sanit
- Epidemiological and entomological survey in a focus of visceral leishmaniasis in Pap district (Fergana Valley) of Namangan region, UzbekistanM Maroli
Department of Parasitology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena, 299 00161 Rome, Italy
Acta Trop 80:223-8. 2001..2%), P. keshishiani (0.6%) and S. grekovi (0.1%). The role of the suspected vector, P. longiductus in the transmission of VL cases in the Fergana focus is discussed in relation to its abundance and distribution in the valley...
- Evidence for an impact on the incidence of canine leishmaniasis by the mass use of deltamethrin-impregnated dog collars in southern ItalyM Maroli
Department of Parasitology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Med Vet Entomol 15:358-63. 2001....
- Recent findings of Phlebotomus neglectus Tonnoir, 1921 in Italy and its western limit of distributionM Maroli
Laboratorio di Parassitologia, Instituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Parassitologia 44:103-9. 2002..The apparent absence of P. neglectus in Central Italy is discussed and the resulting settlement through two probable migration routes from the East is analysed...
- Testing insecticide susceptibility of Phlebotomus perniciosus and P. papatasi (Diptera: Psychodidae) in ItalyMichele Maroli
Laboratorio di Parassitologia, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, Roma
Ann Ist Super Sanita 38:419-23. 2002..The results showed that two Italian populations of P. perniciosus and P. papatasi from Campania region and from Rome, respectively, are susceptible to the insecticides tested as compared with the reference strain used...
- [Prevention and control of leishmaniasis vectors: current approaches]M Maroli
Reparto di Malattie Trasmesse da vettori e Sanità Internazionale, Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Parassitarie ed Immunomediate, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Roma
Parassitologia 46:211-5. 2004..Laboratory and field evaluations have shown that impregnated dog collars and topical application of insecticides could protect dogs from most sandfly bites by means of both anti-feeding and killing effect of the pirethorids used...
- The northward spread of leishmaniasis in Italy: evidence from retrospective and ongoing studies on the canine reservoir and phlebotomine vectorsMichele Maroli
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Trop Med Int Health 13:256-64. 2008..Northern continental Italy is now focally endemic for VL and a moderate risk for human disease does exist, although the intensity of transmission seems to be lower than in traditional settings of Mediterranean VL...
- Longitudinal study on the detection of canine Leishmania infections by conjunctival swab analysis and correlation with entomological parametersMarina Gramiccia
Unit of Vector borne Diseases and International Health, MIPI Department, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Vet Parasitol 171:223-8. 2010..CS n-PCR technique can be a suitable marker for assessing Leishmania exposure in dogs as a non-invasive alternative to current serological and molecular tools...
- Laboratory study to investigate the efficacy of cyfluthrin EW treated nets against phlebotomine sandfliesGioia Bongiorno
Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Parassitarie ed Immunomediate, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Ann Ist Super Sanita 41:247-52. 2005..8%). These laboratory results if confirmed by field evaluation indicate cyfluthrin as good candidate for treatment of mosquito nets to be used against phlebotomine sandflies...
- [Evaluation of repellent and anti-feeding effect of garlic oil (Allium sativum) against the bite of phlebotomine sandflies Diptera: Psychodidae]Laura Valerio
Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Parassitarie e Immunomediate, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Roma
Ann Ist Super Sanita 41:253-6. 2005..The results of the present study confirm previous observations on the repellent effect of garlic oil against haematophagous arthropods...
- Host-feeding patterns of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in urban and rural contexts within Rome province, ItalyLaura Valerio
Parasitology Unit, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Rome Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 10:291-4. 2010..albopictus in its original range of distribution and highlights the high potential of this species as a vector of human pathogens in urban areas of Italy, where both humans and the mosquito itself may reach very high densities...
- Mapping the main Leishmania phlebotomine vector in the endemic focus of the Mt. Vesuvius in southern ItalyErika Rossi
Dipartimento MIPI, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Geospat Health 1:191-8. 2007..perniciosus densities between the two surveyed areas...
- Infection of sandflies by a cat naturally infected with Leishmania infantumMichele Maroli
Unit of Vector borne Diseases and International Health, MIPI Department, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Vet Parasitol 145:357-60. 2007..This is the first evidence of transmissibility of feline parasites to a proven vector, suggesting that cats may represent an additional domestic reservoir for L. infantum...
- Socio-demographic and climatic factors as correlates of Mediterranean spotted fever (MSF) in northern SardiniaMaria Fenicia Vescio
Department of Infectious Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Roma, Italy
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:318-20. 2008..We found that maximum temperature levels during the previous summer were associated with increases in MSF incidence...
- ITS 2 sequences heterogeneity in Phlebotomus sergenti and Phlebotomus similis (Diptera, Psychodidae): possible consequences in their ability to transmit Leishmania tropicaJerome Depaquit
Laboratoire de Parasitologie, Faculte de Pharmacie, 51 rue Cognacq Jay, 51096 Reims Cedex, France
Int J Parasitol 32:1123-31. 2002..Two groups can be individualised, one oriental and one western in connection with ecology, host preferences and distribution of L. tropica. We hypothesise that they could be correlated with differences in vectorial capacities...
- Cutaneous leishmaniasis vector control perspectives using lambdacyhalothrin residual house spraying in El Ingenio, Miranda State, VenezuelaM Dora Feliciangeli
BIOMED CNRFV, Universidad de Carabobo, Nucleo Aragua, Apartado 4873, Maracay, Venezuela
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 97:641-6. 2003..ovallesi population, and control CL transmission in this and other foci where this sandfly is considered to be the main vector...
- A review of leishmaniasis in Dalmatia (Croatia) and results from recent surveys on phlebotomine sandflies in three southern countiesSanja Bosnić
Croatian Veterinary Institute, Department of Parasitology, Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Trop 99:42-9. 2006..Among the species, which may act as Leishmania infantum vectors, P. tobbi and P. neglectus were the most abundant...
- Short report: surveillance of Leishmania sp. among sand flies in Sicily (Italy) using a fluorogenic real-time polymerase chain reactionEduardo Gomez-Saladin
United States Navy Environmental and Preventive Medicine Unit 7, Sicily, Italy
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:138-41. 2005..infection by PCR testing. The two most prevalent sand fly species found were Phlebotomus perfiliewi and P. perniciosus. Of the female sand flies tested, 2.9% were positive for Leishmania sp. DNA by the PCR...
- Canine leishmaniasis, ItalyEzio Ferroglio
Department of Animal Production, Epidemiology and Ecology, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1618-20. 2005..Active foci of canine leishmaniasis were identified, which suggests that the disease is now also endemic in continental climate areas...
- Molecular homogeneity in diverse geographical populations of Phlebotomus papatasi (Diptera, Psychodidae) inferred from ND4 mtDNA and ITS2 rDNA Epidemiological consequencesJerome Depaquit
USC VECPAR, AFSSA, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite de Reims Champagne Ardenne, Reims, France
Infect Genet Evol 8:159-70. 2008..papatasi over its distribution area have similar vectorial capacities. The limits of the distribution area of L. major are correlated with the distribution of common rodents acting as hosts of the parasites...
- Ticks infesting livestock on farms in Western Sicily, ItalyAlessandra Torina
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale della Sicilia A Mirri, Palermo, Italy
Exp Appl Acarol 38:75-86. 2006..bursa was found to be abundant on cattle (46.3%) and sheep (62.0%), R. sanguineus was prevalent on dogs (50.4%), and R. turanicus on donkeys (41.0%) and as free-living species (48.5%)...
- Three cases of ophthalmomyiasis externa by sheep botfly Oestrus ovis in ItalyMariella Dono
U O Analisi Chimico Cliniche e Microbiologiche Osp S Andrea, La Spezia, Italy
New Microbiol 28:365-8. 2005..We report three cases of O. ovis infestation which occurred in Italy in a limited area of La Spezia province (Le Cinque Terre), Italy during summer 2004. None of the patients had contact with wild or farm animals...