Giuseppina La Rosa
Affiliation: Istituto Superiore di Sanit
- La Rosa G, Libera S, Iaconelli M, Ciccaglione A, Bruni R, Taffon S, et al. Surveillance of hepatitis A virus in urban sewages and comparison with cases notified in the course of an outbreak, Italy 2013. BMC Infect Dis. 2014;14:419 pubmed publisher..A combined environmental/clinical surveillance is able to provide a more complete picture of the spread of HAV and of the genotypes circulating in the population, allowing a better understanding of changes in disease trends. ..
- Iaconelli M, Divizia M, Della Libera S, Di Bonito P, La Rosa G. Frequent Detection and Genetic Diversity of Human Bocavirus in Urban Sewage Samples. Food Environ Virol. 2016;8:289-295 pubmed
- La Rosa G, Purpari G, Guercio A, Di Bella S, Gucciardi F, Proroga Y, et al. Detection of Human Bocavirus Species 2 and 3 in Bivalve Shellfish in Italy. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2018;84: pubmed publisher..Our findings document that HBoVs are detected in bivalve shellfish with a relevant prevalence and suggest that an assessment of the risk for foodborne transmission of these viruses should be undertaken. ..
- La Rosa G, Fratini M, Accardi L, D Oro G, Della Libera S, Muscillo M, et al. Mucosal and cutaneous human papillomaviruses detected in raw sewages. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e52391 pubmed publisher..Our data increases the knowledge of HPV genomic diversity and suggests that virological analysis of urban sewage can provide key information useful in supporting epidemiological studies. ..
- Suffredini E, Iaconelli M, Equestre M, Valdazo González B, Ciccaglione A, Marcantonio C, et al. Genetic Diversity Among Genogroup II Noroviruses and Progressive Emergence of GII.17 in Wastewaters in Italy (2011-2016) Revealed by Next-Generation and Sanger Sequencing. Food Environ Virol. 2018;10:141-150 pubmed publisher..Our results confirm the usefulness of wastewater surveillance coupled with NGS to study the molecular epidemiology of NoV and to monitor the emergence of NoV strains. ..
- La Rosa G, Proroga Y, De Medici D, Capuano F, Iaconelli M, Della Libera S, et al. First Detection of Hepatitis E Virus in Shellfish and in Seawater from Production Areas in Southern Italy. Food Environ Virol. 2018;10:127-131 pubmed publisher..8%) tested positive for HEV; all characterized strains were G3 and showed high degree of sequence identity. An integrated surveillance in seafood and waters is relevant to reduce the risk of shellfish-associated illnesses. ..
- Iaconelli M, Muscillo M, Della Libera S, Fratini M, Meucci L, de Ceglia M, et al. One-year Surveillance of Human Enteric Viruses in Raw and Treated Wastewaters, Downstream River Waters, and Drinking Waters. Food Environ Virol. 2017;9:79-88 pubmed publisher..Integrated strategies to manage water from all sources are crucial to ensure water quality. ..
- Iaconelli M, Valdazo González B, Equestre M, Ciccaglione A, Marcantonio C, Della Libera S, et al. Molecular characterization of human adenoviruses in urban wastewaters using next generation and Sanger sequencing. Water Res. 2017;121:240-247 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of the distribution of HAdV species and types would improve our understanding of waterborne HAdV-related health risks. ..
- De Giglio O, Caggiano G, Bagordo F, Barbuti G, Brigida S, Lugoli F, et al. Enteric Viruses and Fecal Bacteria Indicators to Assess Groundwater Quality and Suitability for Irrigation. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..This study revealed the inadequacy of fecal bacteria indicators to predict the occurrence of viruses in groundwater and it is the first in Italy to describe the presence of human rotaviruses in well water used for irrigation. ..
- La Rosa G, Della Libera S, Iaconelli M, Proroga Y, De Medici D, Martella V, et al. Detection of Norovirus GII.17 Kawasaki 2014 in Shellfish, Marine Water and Underwater Sewage Discharges in Italy. Food Environ Virol. 2017;9:326-333 pubmed publisher..The detection of the GII.17 strain Kawasaki 2014 in clinical, water and food samples in Italy highlights the need for more systematic surveillance for future disease control and prevention. ..
- La Rosa G, Muscillo M, Di Grazia A, Fontana S, Iaconelli M, Tollis M. Validation of rt-PCR assays for molecular characterization of porcine teschoviruses and enteroviruses. J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health. 2006;53:257-65 pubmed
- La Rosa G, Pourshaban M, Iaconelli M, Vennarucci V, Muscillo M. Molecular detection of hepatitis E virus in sewage samples. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:5870-3 pubmed publisher..Evidence that HEV could be establishing itself in our region is accumulating and may justify more active surveillance to monitor its spread. ..