Affiliation: Istituto Nazionale Tumori
- Gronchi A, Stacchiotti S, Verderio P, Ferrari S, Martin Broto J, Lopez Pousa A, et al. Short, full-dose adjuvant chemotherapy (CT) in high-risk adult soft tissue sarcomas (STS): long-term follow-up of a randomized clinical trial from the Italian Sarcoma Group and the Spanish Sarcoma Group. Ann Oncol. 2016;27:2283-2288 pubmed publisher..This regimen is currently tested within an ongoing international trial against three cycles of a neoadjuvant histology-tailored CT (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01710176). ..
- Gronchi A, Lo Vullo S, Colombo C, Collini P, Stacchiotti S, Mariani L, et al. Extremity soft tissue sarcoma in a series of patients treated at a single institution: local control directly impacts survival. Ann Surg. 2010;251:506-11 pubmed publisher..The effect on survival was directly mediated by local recurrence to proximal sites invading the abdomen/thorax, and this may indeed be the main way by which quality of surgery directly impacts the final prognosis of ESTS patients. ..
- Frezza A, Stacchiotti S, Gronchi A. Systemic treatment in advanced soft tissue sarcoma: what is standard, what is new. BMC Med. 2017;15:109 pubmed publisher..Thus, the introduction of kinases and small molecule inhibitors in the treatment armamentarium for STS is a major achievement in this setting. Preliminary data on immunotherapy are also available and discussed in this review. ..
- Callegaro D, Miceli R, Bonvalot S, Ferguson P, Strauss D, Levy A, et al. Development and external validation of two nomograms to predict overall survival and occurrence of distant metastases in adults after surgical resection of localised soft-tissue sarcomas of the extremities: a retrospective analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2016;17:671-80 pubmed publisher..These nomograms can be offered to clinicians to improve their abilities to assess patient prognosis, strengthen the prognosis-based decision making, enhance patient stratification, and inform patients in the clinic. None. ..
- Ford S, Gronchi A. Indications for surgery in advanced/metastatic GIST. Eur J Cancer. 2016;63:154-67 pubmed publisher..Patients with imatinib resistant disease should not be offered surgery unless as an emergency where palliative intervention may be justified. ..
- Venturini L, Motta R, Gronchi A, Daidone M, Zaffaroni N. Prognostic relevance of ALT-associated markers in liposarcoma: a comparative analysis. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:254 pubmed publisher..Most cancers maintain telomeres by activating telomerase but a significant minority, mainly of mesenchymal origin, utilize an alternative lengthening of telomeres (ALT) mechanism...
- Gronchi A, De Paoli A, Dani C, Merlo D, Quagliuolo V, Grignani G, et al. Preoperative chemo-radiation therapy for localised retroperitoneal sarcoma: a phase I-II study from the Italian Sarcoma Group. Eur J Cancer. 2014;50:784-92 pubmed publisher..To study feasibility, safety and activity of the combination of high-dose long-infusion ifosfamide (HLI) and radiotherapy (RT) as preoperative treatment for resectable localised retroperitoneal sarcoma (RPS)...
- Gronchi A, Frustaci S, Mercuri M, Martin J, Lopez Pousa A, Verderio P, et al. Short, full-dose adjuvant chemotherapy in high-risk adult soft tissue sarcomas: a randomized clinical trial from the Italian Sarcoma Group and the Spanish Sarcoma Group. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:850-6 pubmed publisher..The outcome compares favorably with the expected survival of patients with high-risk STS and was superimposable on the CT arm of the previous ISG trial. ..
- Gronchi A, Diment J, Colecchia M, Fiore M, Santinami M. Atypical pleomorphic epithelioid angiomyolipoma localized to the pelvis: a case report and review of the literature. Histopathology. 2004;44:292-5 pubmed..We report the first case of atypical pleomorphic angiomyolipoma in a man, arising from the pouch of Douglas and extending to the entire abdominal cavity...
- Gronchi A, Casali P, Mariani L, Lo Vullo S, Colecchia M, Lozza L, et al. Quality of surgery and outcome in extra-abdominal aggressive fibromatosis: a series of patients surgically treated at a single institution. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:1390-7 pubmed..To explore prognostic factors in surgically treated aggressive fibromatosis (extra-abdominal desmoid tumor)...
- Gronchi A, Miceli R, Shurell E, Eilber F, Eilber F, Anaya D, et al. Outcome prediction in primary resected retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma: histology-specific overall survival and disease-free survival nomograms built on major sarcoma center data sets. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31:1649-55 pubmed publisher..74 and 0.71 in the developing set and 0.68 and 0.69 in the validating set. These nomograms accurately predict OS and DFS. They should be used for patient counseling in clinical practice and stratification in clinical trials. ..
- Gronchi A, Ferrari S, Quagliuolo V, Broto J, Pousa A, Grignani G, et al. Histotype-tailored neoadjuvant chemotherapy versus standard chemotherapy in patients with high-risk soft-tissue sarcomas (ISG-STS 1001): an international, open-label, randomised, controlled, phase 3, multicentre trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:812-822 pubmed publisher..The benefit seen with the standard chemotherapy regimen suggests that this benefit might be the added value of neoadjuvant chemotherapy itself in patients with high-risk soft-tissue sarcoma. European Union grant (Eurosarc FP7 278472). ..
- Frezza A, Stacchiotti S, Gronchi A. Highlights in soft tissue sarcomas and gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GIST) trials reported at ASCO 2017 Annual Meeting. BMC Med. 2017;15:160 pubmed publisher..The preliminary results on the impact of the next generation sequencing in the everyday management of STS and GIST patients will be also discussed. ..