Affiliation: Istituto Clinico Humanitas
- Renal dysfunction in acute congestive heart failure: a common problem for cardiologists and nephrologistsGiorgio Graziani
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Via Manzoni 56, 20089, Rozzano, Milan, Italy
Heart Fail Rev 19:699-708. 2014..Finally, we discuss three new promising non-pharmacological tools for the prevention of AHF recurrence, including two methods that exploit sympathetic denervation and one technique that acts by increasing vagal tone...
- Chyluria associated with nephrotic-range proteinuria: pathophysiology, clinical picture and therapeutic optionsGiorgio Graziani
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Istituto Clinico Humanitas IRCCS, Rozzano, Italy
Nephron Clin Pract 119:c248-53; discussion c254. 2011..Among the medical alternatives, a low-fat diet supplemented with medium-chain triglycerides is often followed by complete clinical and biochemical remission...
- Syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone in traumatic brain injury: when tolvaptan becomes a life saving drugGiorgio Graziani
Istituto Clinico Humanitas IRCCS, Via Manzoni, 56 20089 Rozzano, MI, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 83:510-2. 2012..Given its mechanism of action, this drug seems the ideal treatment for the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH) when the osmotic imbalance leads to life threatening complications...
- Life-threatening hypercalcemia in patients with rhabdomyolysis-induced oliguric acute renal failureGiorgio Graziani
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Istituto Clinico Humanitas IRCCS, Rozzano Milan, Italy
J Nephrol 24:128-31. 2011..In a third of patients presenting with rhabdomyolysis-induced acute renal failure (ARF), a biphasic plasma calcium profile may occur...
- Gitelman syndrome: pathophysiological and clinical aspectsG Graziani
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, IRCCS Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano, Milano, Italy
QJM 103:741-8. 2010..Moreover, the differential diagnosis between other similar electrolyte-induced clinical disorders and GS is also discussed...
- Different cardiovascular responses to hemodialysis-induced fluid depletion and blood pressure complianceGiorgio Graziani
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit EAS, Istituto Clinico Humanitas IRCCS, Rozzano, Milan, Italy
J Nephrol 23:55-61. 2010..On the basis of cardiovascular compliance, hemodialysis (HD) patients can be classified as hypotension prone (HP) or hypotension resistant (HR)...
- Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis an unsolved riddleGiorgio Graziani
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano, Milano, Italy
J Nephrol 22:203-7. 2009..Therefore the nephrologist, must keep this in mind and advise patients that the risk of renal impairement induced by iodinated contrast media infusion, is exceedingly more elevated than the occurrence of Gd-induced NSF which is below 1%...
- Looking at appearance of urine before performing a renal biopsy in nephrotic syndromeGiorgio Graziani
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Humanitas Clinical Institute, Via Manzoni 56, Rozzano Milan, Italy
J Nephrol 24:665-8. 2011..The patient progressively gained body weight and improved quality of life. No relapses were observed after 3 years of follow-up. This case emphasizes the possible role of a noninvasive therapeutical option for patients with chyluria...
- [Pathophysiology and prevention of contrast-induced acute renal failure]G Graziani
UO di Medicina d Urgenza e Nefrologia, Istituto Clinico Humanitas IRCCS, Rozzano MI, Italy
G Ital Nefrol 24:20-4. 2007..The protective effect seemed to involve not only the kidney: the drug was found to induce a significant reduction of the necrotic area in myocardial infarction...
- [Sepsis, acute renal failure and multiple organ dysfunction syndrome]G Graziani
Dipartimento di Medicina d Urgenza, U O di Nefrologia e Dialisi, Istituto Clinico Humanitas IRCCS, Rozzano MI
G Ital Nefrol 23:S13-21. 2006..Therefore, septic patients who have a combination of pulmonary, cardio-vascular, renal and cerebral lesions present with the picture of multiple organ dysfunction syndrome, that can increase mor-tality to > 0%...
- Role of the kidney in plasma cytokine removal in sepsis syndrome: a pilot studyGiorgio Graziani
Nephrology and Dialysis Department, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano, Milano, Italy
J Nephrol 19:176-82. 2006..Moreover, urinary excretion of IL-1 and IL-6 was done in the same interval by measuring the percentage of fractional excretion (FE%) of these cytokines...
- The future management of nephrology and dialysisGiorgio Graziani
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano, Milan, Italy
J Nephrol 16:S30-3. 2003..The work experience, in particular the advantages and disavantages of public versus private environment, represents another important topic of this paper...
- Calcium and phosphate plasma levels in dialysis patients after dietary Ca-P overload. Role of gastric acid secretionGiorgio Graziani
Division of Internal Medicine, Nephrology and Dialysis, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Via Manzoni 56, I 20089 Rozzano, Milan, Italy
Nephron 91:474-9. 2002..In contrast, with the "trade off" hypothesis we did not observe any postprandial phosphate peak after the dietary load, and, in contrast with normal subjects, omeprazole administration did not influence the phosphate profile...
- Current and emerging treatments for idiopathic focal and segmental glomerulosclerosis in adultsClaudio Ponticelli
Division of Nephrology, IRCCS Humanitas Hospital, Via Manzoni 56, 20089 Rozzano, Milano, Italy
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 9:251-61. 2013..A number of new drugs, including rituximab, galactose and antifibrotic agents, are under investigation...
- Plasma pentraxin-3 as a marker of bioincompatibility in hemodialysis patientsSilvia Oldani
Nephrology Unit, Humanitas Clinical Institute, Rozzano, Milan, Italy
J Nephrol 25:120-6. 2012..The aim of the present study was to assess whether pentraxin-3 (PTX3) could be a reliable biomarker of HD-induced inflammation and of membrane biocompatibility...
- Neurological counterparts of hyponatremia: pathological mechanisms and clinical manifestationsManuel Alfredo Podestà
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Via Manzoni 56, 20089, Rozzano, Milano, Italy
Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 15:18. 2015..Neurological symptoms may be neglected when they manifest as early signs of mild hyponatremia, while brain damage can irremediably affect patients' conditions in the context of ODS...
- Education and counseling of renal transplant recipientsClaudio Ponticelli
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Istituto Clinico Humanitas IRCCS Rozzano, Milan, Italy
J Nephrol 25:879-89. 2012..Last but not least, abidance by hygienic measures may help in preventing cardiovascular and infectious complications...
- Inter-day glycemic variability assessed by continuous glucose monitoring in insulin-treated type 2 diabetes patients on hemodialysisMarco Mirani
Metabolic Section, Department of Internal Medicine, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, IRCCS, Rozzano, Milan, Italy
Diabetes Technol Ther 12:749-53. 2010..Therefore, to better understand their metabolic balance, we studied a group of diabetes patients on hemodialysis by a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system...
- Gadolinium and lanthanum: a iatrogenic transmetallation?Simona Brambilla
Clinical Laboratory, IRCCS Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano, Milano, Italy
Clin Biochem 41:1029-33. 2008
- Changes in viremia and circulating interferon-alpha during hemodialysis in hepatitis C virus-positive patients: only coincidental phenomena?Salvatore Badalamenti
Division of Nephrology, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Milan, Italy
Am J Kidney Dis 42:143-50. 2003..The aim of the present study in HCV-positive (HCV+) HD patients is to determine whether HD induces the production of interferon-alpha (IFN-alpha) and if such production can contribute to viremia reduction...
- Proteinuria after kidney transplantationClaudio Ponticelli
Division of Nephrology, Humanitas Scientific Institute, Rozzano, Milano, Italy
Transpl Int 25:909-17. 2012..Inhibitors of renin-angiotensin system (RAS) are useful in reversing microalbuminuria and can reduce proteinuria, but their efficacy in interfering with patient or graft survival is not demonstrated...
- Hypertension in kidney transplant recipientsClaudio Ponticelli
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, IRCCS, Via Manzoni 56, Rozzano Milano, Italy
Transpl Int 24:523-33. 2011....
- The dialysis scenario in patients with systemic lupus erythematosusDavid Cucchiari
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Rozzano, MI, Italy
Nephrol Dial Transplant 29:1507-13. 2014..In this paper, we have reviewed the currently available literature in an attempt to answer the most controversial issues about the topic. ..
- Renal transplantation in elderly patients. How to select the candidates to the waiting list?Claudio Ponticelli
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Via Manzoni 56, 20089, Rozzano Milano, Italy Electronic address
Transplant Rev (Orlando) 28:188-92. 2014..A careful screening of the presence and degree of frailty, comorbidity and poor compliance to treatment is highly recommended before admitting older candidates to the waiting list for transplantation. ..
- Pilot study to assess increased dialysis efficiency in patients with limited blood flow rates due to vascular access problemsSalvatore Mandolfo
Renal Unit Ospedale Maggiore, Lodi, Italy
Hemodial Int 12:55-61. 2008..9+/-13, L 32.1+/-12 mL/min). The results of this study indicate that HDF remains the best means of providing increased removal of large-molecular weight solutes even in patients with vascular access problems...
- Evidence against hepatitis C virus trapping in dialysis membranesClaudio Angelini
Nephrol Dial Transplant 17:317-8. 2002