Affiliation: Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta
- Layer-specific genes reveal a rudimentary laminar pattern in human nodular heterotopiaR Garbelli
Clinical Epileptology and Experimental Neurophysiology Unit, Fondazione I R C C S Istituto Neurologico C Besta, 20133 Milan, Italy
Neurology 73:746-53. 2009..To define distinctive features of nodular heterotopia in specimens derived from drug-resistant patients with epilepsy by evaluating mRNA expression of three different layer-specific markers: Rorbeta, Er81, and Nurr1...
- Layer-specific gene expression in epileptogenic type II focal cortical dysplasia: normal-looking neurons reveal the presence of a hidden laminar organizationLaura Rossini
Clinical Epileptology and Experimental Neurophysiology Unit, Istituto Neurologico C, Besta, Via Amadeo 42, 20133 Milano, Italy
Acta Neuropathol Commun 2:45. 2014..We also used anti-phospho-S6 ribosomal protein antibody to investigate mTOR pathway hyperactivation...
- Blurring in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy: clinical, high-field imaging and ultrastructural studyRita Garbelli
Clinical Epileptology and Experimental Neurophysiology Unit, Fondazione IRCCS, Istituto Neurologico C Besta, 20133 Milan, Italy
Brain 135:2337-49. 2012..The article also discusses the correlations between the morphological findings and clinical data...
- Combined 7-T MRI and histopathologic study of normal and dysplastic samples from patients with TLER Garbelli
Clinical Epileptology and Experimental Neurophysiology Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Neurologico C Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Neurology 76:1177-85. 2011..Specifically, we aimed to 1) correlate high-field ex vivo MRI with histopathologic analysis and 2) evaluate the effect of tissue fixation on image contrast...
- Expression of connexin 43 in the human epileptic and drug-resistant cerebral cortexR Garbelli
Clinical Epileptology and Experimental Neurophysiology Unit, Fondazione IRCCS, Istituto Neurologico C Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Neurology 76:895-902. 2011..However, Cx43 has never been examined in focal cortical dysplasia (FCD) and in other human refractory epilepsies...
- Electroclinical, MRI and neuropathological study of 10 patients with nodular heterotopia, with surgical outcomesL Tassi
Epilepsy Surgery Centre C Munari, Niguarda Hospital, Milan, Italy
Brain 128:321-37. 2005..The intrinsic interictal epileptiform activity of nodules may be due to an impaired intranodular GABAergic system...
- Inhibitory circuits in human dysplastic tissueR Spreafico
Divisione di Neurofisiologia Sperimentale ed Epilettologia, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 41:S168-73. 2000....
- A neuropathological, stereo-EEG, and MRI study of subcortical band heterotopiaR Mai
Epilepsy Surgery Center C Munari, Niguarda Hospital, Milan, Italy
Neurology 60:1834-8. 2003..Simultaneous activation of both cortices and presence of differentiated neurons in the white matter and the heterotopia strongly suggest that the cortices were anatomically and functionally interconnected...
- Cajal-Retzius cell density as marker of type of focal cortical dysplasiaR Garbelli
Department of Experimental Neurophysiology, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C. Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milano, Italy
Neuroreport 12:2767-71. 2001..These findings suggest that differences in the persistence of Cajal-Retzius cells, which probably reflect different types of alteration during brain development, can assist in characterizing different forms of cortical dysplasia...
- Focal cortical dysplasia: neuropathological subtypes, EEG, neuroimaging and surgical outcomeL Tassi
Epilepsy Surgery Centre C Munari, Milan, Italy
Brain 125:1719-32. 2002..This three-category classification is based on easily recognized histopathological characteristics and avoids complicated terminology, while the distinctive ensemble of other characteristics defines clinically homogeneous groups...
- Labeling of rat neurons by anti-GluR3 IgG from patients with Rasmussen encephalitisC Frassoni
Department of Experimental Neurophysiology and Epileptology, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Neurology 57:324-7. 2001..These findings show that anti-GluR3 antibodies purified from patients with RE bind to specific regions of the CNS but do not act through an excitotoxic mechanism...