Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli
- Reclassification and subtyping of so-called malignant fibrous histiocytoma of bone: comparison with cytogenetic featuresFredrik Mertens
Department of Clinical Genetics, University and Regional Laboratories, Skane University Hospital, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Clin Sarcoma Res 1:10. 2011..abstract:..
- Sorafenib blocks tumour growth, angiogenesis and metastatic potential in preclinical models of osteosarcoma through a mechanism potentially involving the inhibition of ERK1/2, MCL-1 and ezrin pathwaysYmera Pignochino
Division of Medical Oncology, University of Torino Medical School, A, O, Ordine Mauriziano, Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment Candiolo, and Regina Margherita Children s Hospital, Torino, Italy
Mol Cancer 8:118. 2009..Despite improved prognosis, metastatic or relapsed OS remains largely incurable and no significant improvement has been observed in the last 20 years. Therefore, the search for alternative agents in OS is mandatory...
- Histochemical and ultrastructural study of an elastofibroma dorsi coexisting with a high grade spindle cell sarcomaM Alberghini
Anatomia Patologica, Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, via di Barbiano 1 10 40136 Bologna, Italy
Eur J Histochem 48:173-8. 2004..The results obtained suggest that the coexistence of the two pathological entities is conceivably coincidental...
- Leiomyosarcoma of the spermatic cord: a light and ultrastructural description of one caseMarco Alberghini
Department of Surgical Pathology, IOR, Bologna, Italy
Pathol Res Pract 200:487-91. 2004....
- Desmoplastic fibroblastoma: a light and ultrastructural description of two casesMarco Alberghini
Department of Surgical Pathology, Rizzoli Institute, IRCCS, Bologna, Italy
Ultrastruct Pathol 28:149-57. 2004..Mitotic figures and necrotic areas were not identified. Immunohistochemistry showed positivity for vimentin and focal positivity for smooth and human muscle actin, and flow cytometry showed the tumoral cells to be diploid...
- Osteosarcoma of the pelvis: a monoinstitutional experience in patients younger than 41 yearsStefano Ferrari
Sezione di Chemioterapia, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Via Pupilli 1, Bologna, Italy
Tumori 98:702-8. 2012..Information is scarce on systemic treatment of pelvic osteosarcoma because most chemotherapy protocols for osteosarcoma include patients with extremity tumors and aged up to 30-40 years...
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for osteosarcoma of the extremities in preadolescent patients: the Rizzoli Institute experienceGaetano Bacci
Chemotherapy Unit, Department of Musculoskeletal Oncology, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 30:908-12. 2008..20%). The authors conclude that there does not seem to be any indication to treat preadolescent primary high-grade nonmetastatic osteosarcoma patients by alternative and/or more aggressive therapies...
- Periosteal osteosarcoma: a single-institution experienceMarilena Cesari
Chemotherapy Section, Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
Cancer 117:1731-5. 2011..The objective of this study was to review and analyze the clinical and treatment-related factors that influence the survival of patients with periosteal osteosarcoma who received treatment in a single institution...
- miR-34a predicts survival of Ewing's sarcoma patients and directly influences cell chemo-sensitivity and malignancyFumihiko Nakatani
Laboratory of Experimental Oncology, Rizzoli Institute, Bologna, Italy
J Pathol 226:796-805. 2012..Restoration of miR-34a activity may be useful to decrease malignancy and increase tumour sensitivity to current drugs, so sparing excessive long-term toxicity to EWS patients...
- Ewing's sarcoma family tumors of the humerus: outcome of patients treated with radiotherapy, surgery or surgery and adjuvant radiotherapyGaetano Bacci
Department of Chemotherapy, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Radiother Oncol 93:383-7. 2009..Local treatment for non-metastatic Ewing's sarcoma family tumors (ESFTs) is controversial. Results achieved in a single institution in patients with ESFT of the humerus are presented...
- Treatment of nonmetastatic Ewing's sarcoma family tumors of the spine and sacrum: the experience from a single institutionGaetano Bacci
Sezione di Chemioterapia, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Via Pupilli 1, 40136, Bologna, Italy
Eur Spine J 18:1091-5. 2009..We concluded that regardless of the type of local treatment even when associated with neoadjuvant therapy, ESFT in the spine and sacrum has a poor outcome and prognosis is significantly worse than that of primary ESFT in other sites...
- Differential gene expression in classic giant cell tumours of bone: Tenascin C as biological risk factor for local relapses and metastasesLaura Pazzaglia
Laboratory of Experimental Oncology, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Histopathology 57:59-72. 2010..GCT specimens with different behaviour associated with an increased risk of local and/or distant relapses were studied...
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with methotrexate, cisplatin, and doxorubicin with or without ifosfamide in nonmetastatic osteosarcoma of the extremity: an Italian sarcoma group trial ISG/OS-1Stefano Ferrari
Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
J Clin Oncol 30:2112-8. 2012..We compared two chemotherapy regimens that included methotrexate (MTX), cisplatin (CDP), and doxorubicin (ADM) with or without ifosfamide (IFO) in patients with nonmetastatic osteosarcoma of the extremity...
- Fibrosarcomatous changes and expression of CD34+ and apolipoprotein-D in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansEmanuela Palmerini
Chemotherapy, Musculoskeletal Oncology Department, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Via Pupilli 1, Bologna, 40136, Italy
Clin Sarcoma Res 2:4. 2012..abstract:..
- Vincristine, doxorubicin, cyclophosfamide, actinomycin D, ifosfamide, and etoposide in adult and pediatric patients with nonmetastatic Ewing sarcoma. Final results of a monoinstitutional studyStefano Ferrari
Chemotherapy, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Tumori 96:213-8. 2010..To investigate a six-drug combination in patients with nonmetastatic Ewing sarcoma, focusing on chemotherapy-induced necrosis and chemotherapy toxicity in adult and pediatric patients...
- Synovial sarcoma: retrospective analysis of 250 patients treated at a single institutionEmanuela Palmerini
Department of Chemotherapy, Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
Cancer 115:2988-98. 2009..The optimal treatment for synovial sarcoma remains controversial. Treatment, outcome, and prognostic factors in patients treated in a single institution were examined...
- Nonresectable multiple lung metastases of high-grade osteosarcoma of the humerus: stable after twelve years. A case reportEmanuela Palmerini
Chemotherapy Unit, Department of Musculoskeletal Oncology, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Via Pupilli 1, Bologna, Italy
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:2240-4. 2008
- Prognostic significance of immunohistochemical expression of ezrin in non-metastatic high-grade osteosarcomaStefano Ferrari
Chemotherapy Unit, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:752-6. 2008..Ezrin is a membrane-cytoskeleton linker protein involved in regulating growth and metastatic behaviour of cancer cells. The study evaluated ezrin expression and its prognostic value in patients with non-metastatic osteosarcoma...
- Diagnostic utility of molecular investigation in extraskeletal myxoid chondrosarcomaStefania Benini
Department of Pathology, Rizzoli Institute, Bologna, Italy Electronic address
J Mol Diagn 16:314-23. 2014....
- Late sarcoma development after curettage and bone grafting of benign bone tumorsPiero Picci
Bone Tumor Center, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Radiol 77:19-25. 2011..Rarely sarcomas develop in previous benign lesions, after a long term disease free interval. We report the experience on these rare cases observed at a single Institution...
- Expression of insulin-like growth factor system components in Ewing's sarcoma and their association with survivalKatia Scotlandi
Laboratory of Experimental Oncology, Orthopaedic Institute Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Cancer 47:1258-66. 2011..We evaluated the expression of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-receptor (IGF-IR), insulin receptor (IR), IGF-I and some major intracellular mediators (IRS1, p-ERK) in specimens from EWS patients with primary localised untreated tumours...
- Adjuvant and neoadjuvant chemotherapy for Ewing sarcoma family tumors in patients aged between 40 and 60: report of 35 cases and comparison of results with 586 younger patients treated with the same protocols in the same yearsGaetano Bacci
Department of Chemotherapy, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
Cancer 109:780-6. 2007..The clinical and pathologic features of 46 patients 40 to 60 years old with Ewing sarcoma family tumor (ESFT) diagnosed at the authors' institute between 1972 and 2000 were reviewed...
- Percutaneous CT-guided biopsy of the musculoskeletal system: results of 2027 casesEugenio Rimondi
Radiology Department, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Radiol 77:34-42. 2011....
- Enchondroma vs. chondrosarcoma: a simple, easy-to-use, new magnetic resonance signDaniel Vanel
Department of Research, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy Department of Pathology, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy Electronic address
Eur J Radiol 82:2154-60. 2013..We attempted to detect these islands at the periphery of chondrosarcomas on MR and correlate them microscopically...
- Solitary fibrous tumors of the soft tissues: imaging features with histopathologic correlationsZafaria G Papathanassiou
The Rizzoli Institute, via del Barbiano 1 10, 40136, Bologna, Italy
Clin Sarcoma Res 3:1. 2013..To describe the imaging features of soft tissue solitary fibrous tumors, with histopathological correlations and clinical outcome...
- Solitary bone lesions: which ones to worry about?Daniel Vanel
Department of Radiology, The Rizzoli Institute, Bologna, Italy
Cancer Imaging 12:409-13. 2012..Nowadays, a biopsy is nevertheless always requested before treating a malignant lesion, even if suspicion is very high. But histology should integrate with the radiological signs...
- NG2 expression predicts the metastasis formation in soft-tissue sarcoma patientsMaria Serena Benassi
Laboratory of Oncology Research, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
J Orthop Res 27:135-40. 2009....
- Evaluation of P-glycoprotein, HER-2/ErbB-2, p53, and Bcl-2 in primary tumor and metachronous lung metastases in patients with high-grade osteosarcomaStefano Ferrari
Chemotherapy Service, Department of Musculoskeletal Oncology, Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Cancer 100:1936-42. 2004..Investigation of the relation between primary tumor and metastatic disease is necessary for the identification of predictive factors for postrecurrence survival (PRS) in patients with recurrent osteosarcoma...
- Fibrous dysplasia with degenerative atypia: a benign lesion potentially mistaken for sarcomaFranco Bertoni
Department of Surgical Pathology, Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:794-6. 2004..The differential diagnosis is discussed. When radiographic and other histologic findings suggest fibrous dysplasia, the atypical nuclear changes should not, by themselves, alter the diagnosis...
- Biological indicators of prognosis in Ewing's sarcoma: an emerging role for lectin galactoside-binding soluble 3 binding protein (LGALS3BP)Diana Zambelli
Laboratory of Oncologic Research, Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Int J Cancer 126:41-52. 2010..Thus, we propose LGALS3BP as a novel reliable indicator of prognosis, and we offer genetic signatures to the scientific communities for cross-validation and meta-analysis, which are indispensable tools for a rare tumor such as EWS...
- Aggressive fibromatosis of the neck treated with a combination of chemotherapy and indomethacinAlessandra Longhi
Musculoskeletal Department, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Via Pupilli 1, 40136 Bologna, Italy
Ear Nose Throat J 90:E11-5. 2011..We also review the literature on cases of aggressive fibromatosis of the neck that have been reported over the past 12 years...
- Diagnosis and treatment of benign notochordal cell tumors of the spine: report of 3 cases and literature reviewSilvia Terzi
Department of Oncologic and Degenerative Spine Surgery, Rizzoli Institute, Bologna, Italy
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:E1356-60. 2012..Clinical case series...
- Molecular diagnosis in Ewing family tumors: the Rizzoli experience--222 consecutive cases in four yearsGabriella Gamberi
Department of Pathology, Section of Molecular Biology, Rizzoli Institute, Via Di Barbiano 1 10, Bologna, Italy
J Mol Diagn 13:313-24. 2011..Finally, we collected the most prevalent breakpoints reported in the literature, indicating which exons are involved, the sequence breakpoints, and the NCBI reference sequences...
- Atypical lipomatous tumors/well-differentiated liposarcomas: clinical outcome of 67 patientsAndreas F Mavrogenis
Department of Orthopedics, University of Bologna, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Via Pupilli, 1, 40136, Bologna, Italy
Orthopedics 34:e893-8. 2011..Long-term follow-up is recommended for early diagnosis and treatment of local recurrences...
- MR imaging of bone metastases and choice of sequence: spin echo, in-phase gradient echo, diffusion, and contrast mediumDaniel Vanel
Department of Radiology, Institut Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Semin Musculoskelet Radiol 13:97-103. 2009....
- Selective arterial embolization of 36 aneurysmal bone cysts of the skeleton with N-2-butyl cyanoacrylateGiuseppe Rossi
Department of Interventional Angiographic Radiology, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
Skeletal Radiol 39:161-7. 2010..Aneurysmal bone cyst (ABC) is a lytic benign bone lesion representing about 1% of all primary bone tumors. The lesion causes pain and swelling, which are generally present for less than 3 months...
- Percutaneous CT-guided biopsy of the spine: results of 430 biopsiesEugenio Rimondi
Department of Radiology, Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Eur Spine J 17:975-81. 2008..In conclusion we can assert that this technique is reliable and safe and should be considered the gold standard in biopsies of the spine...
- Histogenetic characterization of giant cell tumor of boneManuela Salerno
Laboratory for Pathophysiology, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, 40136 Bologna, Italy
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:2081-91. 2008..The increased number of giant cells in GCT may be secondary to an autocrine circuit mediated by the receptor activator of nuclear factor kB...