Pier Paolo Petrone
Affiliation: University of Naples Federico II
Location: Naples, Italy
Bsc, degree in Biological Sciences, University Federico II of Naples.
Since 2000 he is curator at the Museum of Anthropology - CMSN, University of Naples "Federico II".
From 1985 to 2000 he has received numerous professional scientific consulting assignments on behalf of the Ministry of Heritage and Culture as well as other national and international institutions. He conducted field and laboratory investigations as regards excavation, documentation, study and analysis of human skeletal remains from pre-protohistoric and historic funerary contexts.
From 1992 to 2006 he worked as a lecturer at the University
- Herculaneum victims of Vesuvius in ad 79G Mastrolorenzo
Osservatorio Vesuviano, Via Manzoni 249, 80123 Napoli, Italy
Nature 410:769-70. 2001
- "Like a virgin": Absence of rheumatoid arthritis and treponematosis, good sanitation and only rare gout in Italy prior to the 15th centuryB M Rothschild
Arthritis Center of Northeast Ohio, Youngstown, 44512, USA
Reumatismo 56:61-6. 2004..To test the hypothesis of compromised sanitation in ancient Italy, on the basis of spondyloarthropathy frequency; and 4. To assess variation of trauma frequencies in ancient Italy, by examining frequency of focal periosteal reaction...
- The Avellino 3780-yr-B.P. catastrophe as a worst-case scenario for a future eruption at VesuviusGiuseppe Mastrolorenzo
Osservatorio Vesuviano, Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Via Diocleziano 328, 80124 Naples, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4366-70. 2006..Because an event of this scale is capable of devastating a broad territory that includes the present metropolitan district of Naples, it should be considered as a reference for the worst eruptive scenario at Vesuvius...
- Lethal thermal impact at periphery of pyroclastic surges: evidences at PompeiiGiuseppe Mastrolorenzo
Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Sezione di Napoli, Osservatorio Vesuviano, Napoli, Italy
PLoS ONE 5:e11127. 2010..Pompeii and the nearby archaeological sites preserve the most complete set of evidence of the 79 AD catastrophic eruption recording its effects on structures and people...
- Enduring fluoride health hazard for the Vesuvius area population: the case of AD 79 HerculaneumPierpaolo Petrone
Museo di Antropologia, Centro Musei delle Scienze Naturali, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Naples, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e21085. 2011..Even today its early stages are misdiagnosed in endemic areas...
- Human corpses as time capsules: new perspectives in the study of past mass disastersPier Paolo Petrone
Museo di Antropologia, Centro Musei delle Scienze Naturali, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Napoli, Italy
J Anthropol Sci 89:3-6. 2011..The new results obtained from the study of the causes of death of people hit by pyroclastic surges produced by past Vesuvius eruptions have proved essential in hazard evaluation in the Neapolitan district and other volcanic areas...