Affiliation: European Institute of Oncology
- Cell-cycle restriction limits DNA damage and maintains self-renewal of leukaemia stem cellsAndrea Viale
Department of Experimental Oncology at the IFOM IEO Campus, European Institute of Oncology, IEO, 20141 Milan, Italy
Nature 457:51-6. 2009..These data unravel the oncogenic potential of p21 and suggest that inhibition of DNA repair mechanisms might function as potent strategy for the eradication of the slowly proliferating leukaemia stem cells...
- Awaking stem cells from dormancy: growing old and fighting cancerAndrea Viale
European Institute of Oncology at the IFOM IEO Campus, Milan, Italy
EMBO Mol Med 1:88-91. 2009..As regards hematopoietic stem cells (HSC), their resistance to antiproliferative drugs supports this notion. Maintenance of quiescence is thought to be critical for the preservation of HSCs' function...
- DNA damage in stem cells activates p21, inhibits p53, and induces symmetric self-renewing divisionsAlessandra Insinga
Department of Experimental Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, 20141 Milan, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:3931-6. 2013..These findings suggest that stem cells have evolved a unique, p21-dependent response to DNA damage that leads to their immediate expansion and limits their long-term survival...
- Spontaneous cell fusion of acute leukemia cells and macrophages observed in cells with leukemic potentialInes Martin-Padura
Laboratory of Hematology Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Neoplasia 14:1057-66. 2012....
- Inhibitors of histone deacetylases induce tumor-selective apoptosis through activation of the death receptor pathwayAlessandra Insinga
Department of Experimental Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Nat Med 11:71-6. 2005..These results show that sensitivity to HDACIs in leukemias is a property of the fully transformed phenotype and depends on activation of a specific death pathway...